Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
BJAM

Default Esso Station at Cate Park

Does anyone remember the Esso service station in Wolfeboro, where cate Park is today?
BJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Default No, but

The Esso station predates me, but I do remember the Gulf station where the Yum Yum Shop is and the Sunoco station where the new bank is today.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
BJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
The Esso station predates me, but I do remember the Gulf station where the Yum Yum Shop is and the Sunoco station where the new bank is today.
You are right about the Gulf station, and Sunoco station. There also a Mobile station where the Wolfeboro House of Pizza building is.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

We might have to admit how old we are if we answer! Maybe we can say, just barely!!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
BJAM

TIS. Maybe you could be a historical genius,and not be that old!! I remember it and i'm fairl young.:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Here He Goes Again....

From "Remember When...." Edited by Kathy O'Meara
Cate Park was dedicated in 1967 on the site of what had been the Ann Inn and then, from the early 1940s onward, an Esso Service Station. At one time, Fred E. Varney was proprietor. Also, depicted in the background, is the old Lakeshore R.R. Station which is now the Dockside Restaurant.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
john60ri (04-03-2009), Rattlesnake Gal (11-07-2008), secondcurve (12-06-2008), Senter Cove Guy (11-04-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
BJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

Cate Park was dedicated in 1967 on the site of what had been the Ann Inn and then, from the early 1940s onward, an Esso Service Station. At one time, Fred E. Varney was proprietor. Also, depicted in the background, is the old Lakeshore R.R. Station which is now the Dockside Restaurant.

What great pictures, having grown up in Wolfeboro brings back memorys. Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-07-2008), secondcurve (12-06-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Senter Cove Guy

Default Gulf Station(s) in Downtown Wolfeboro

McDude already has this 1959 postcard in Photopost. It clearly shows the Gulf sign where the Yum Yum Shoppe is today. McDude's earlier picture in this thread shows a different Gulf sign directly across the street from the Yum Yum Shoppe where the Ford dealership was. Were there really 2 separate Gulf pumping stations at the same time directly across from one another?
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
BJAM

Senter Cove Guy,

As I remember the Gulf sign across from the station,it was associated with Ossipee Oil Company. They sold home fuel products.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJAM For This Useful Post:
Senter Cove Guy (11-11-2008)
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
nj2nh

I remember when the Yum Yum Shop was in its earlier storefront and recall being stunned when it moved to the gas station! Funny though, I can hardly remember what was where the Melanson Building is now - the one with the pet store and the Music Garden Tea Shop. I also remember when the League of NH Craftsmen was waaaay out of town, heading towards Alton in the building that is a medical arts place now, I think. I also cannot remember what was in the building where the bookstore is now - was that the Ford Dealership?

Funny what you remember and what you don't.

My husband, for example, noticed that Black's got new awnings and he is appalled that they are a new color!

I have a ring box from Wolfeboro Jewelers. Does anyone remember that and where it was????? My mom gave it to me years ago - without a ring!

nj2nh
Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
ApS

Default The Fred E. Varney Co.

Quote:
"...Cate Park was dedicated in 1967 on the site of what had been the Ann Inn and then, from the early 1940s onward, an Esso Service Station. At one time, Fred E. Varney was proprietor...."
The Fred E. Varney Co. built many camps and houses in 1950s Wolfeboro—my place, Hopewell Point Road, and the Springfield Point development near the Alton town line. As a yute, I was hired as a "go-fer" when the late Gordon Colby managed the business.

Consistently fine workmanship was done by them, but the finest carpentry work seems to have been done before power tools became popular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJAM View Post
You are right about the Gulf station, and Sunoco station. There also a Mobile station where the Wolfeboro House of Pizza building is.
Not "Mobile", but there was a Mobil station there in 1960.

Quote:
TIS. Maybe you could be a historical genius,and not be that old!! I remember it and i'm fairly young.:
Doesn't that Packard parked in front of Hall's Drug Store belong to Tis?

Last edited by ApS; 04-29-2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Changed "Hopewell" to "Hopewell Point" Road
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
BJAM

Acres per Second- Thanks for the spelling correction. You have a very good memory if Gordon Colby sticks in your mind. His wife Vera was my 7th grade teacher. BJAM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Yeah, I think that IS mine Acres!!!!!
We must have been in school together, BJ. She was also my seventh grade teacher! also some kind of relative, like second, third, cousin or something.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
BJAM

tis,

If you lived in Wolfeboro during the 50s and 60s we quit possibly could know each other.

bjam.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
gtxrider

Default Ford Dealer?

Quote:

Isn't the Gulf sign where the Ford dealership was? Remember the Chevy dealer where the drug store is now next to IGA. IGA was an A&P once upon a time.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
BJAM

gtxrider- The Chevy dealer that you refer to was Hart Motor Co. They were at the location of the Rite Aid store. Also they owned the lot across the street where Sound Spectrum is. I think the ford garage was one or two buildings up from the Gulf sign
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
ApS

Default Clue in photo...

Quote:
"...You have a very good memory if Gordon Colby sticks in your mind..."
As a boss, he seemed fair enough. I recall his intense demeanor, gold-framed eyeglasses (before they became popular) and that he was a chain-smoker.

I remember one Colby job particularly well: First, I was to remove cedar shingles from the roof of a huge barn. The old shingles were easily pulled out—some would slide out under my shoe! A handful of removed shingles would take several seconds to crash to the ground, as the drop to the ground must have been 80 feet!

It didn't help any as I later got the dumptruck stuck deep in the woods while dumping the old shingles. Gordon Colby, concerned, drove out after work looking for me, leaving the dumptruck behind for morning.

As to memory, it may run in the family: My Dad points out Melvin Village bike-accident scenes he had 80-plus years ago!

My Dad was employed as a Douglas Aircraft Company "Field Service Representative" to Douglas military jets at the time McCain's aircraft was shot down. To McCain in Wolfeboro last Fall, my Dad gave a good account as to why the ejection seat wasn't at fault for McCain's subsequent injuries—even identifying the two possible manufacturers of the ejection seat and the retrofit kit numbers available for both seats!

(I also learned that McCain's wing had folded over the canopy, which was the real cause of injury. McCain was impressed—as I was.)

Quote:
"...I think the ford garage was one or two buildings up from the Gulf sign..."
...and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
"...Isn't the Gulf sign where the Ford dealership was...?"
There's a big "Ford-clue" in the photo!

(Extreme upper left).
secondcurve (12-06-2008)