Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #201
OCDACTIVE

Default I finally know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well after months of waiting and agonizing over this I finally know what is wrong with OCD... Two of the most beautiful words in the world:

HEAD GASKET!

Could have been bad gas from what I was told.. Sorry to disappoint APS that it wasn't abusive driving... LOL

A few other parts are worn (coupler) etc. but all in all she is in very good shape. Having her rebuilt anyway now that she is apart and being brought back to stock.

But with this wonderful news I will be able to add many new features to her. Stay tuned, this is going to be an exciting off season.

Little hint: I am buying most of my xmas presents from Livorsi!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #202
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Nice

That is good news.

Was the compression ratio brought down for the supercharger? What will you set it at? 9:1 or so?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #203
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is good news.

Was the compression ratio brought down for the supercharger? What will you set it at? 9:1 or so?
Not sure to be honest. But I don't think it was if I had to guess.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #204
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Not sure to be honest. But I don't think it was if I had to guess.
Me too, but only guessing based on the head gasket damage. Stop abusing that boat
Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #205
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Me too, but only guessing based on the head gasket damage. Stop abusing that boat
will do.. I seriously will have trouble sleeping tonight.. I am so releaved and excited... think about it 3 rd weekend of June until today I have been playing the guessing game.... It is great to finally know what is wrong. Can at least plan now what the $ damage will be...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #206
hazelnut

Quote:
Well after months of waiting and agonizing over this I finally know what is wrong with OCD... Two of the most beautiful words in the world:

HEAD GASKET!

For a minute there I thought you were talking about yourself. I thought you blew a head-gasket resulting from recent discussion on this page. Thanks for the photo clarification I can now see that the OCD you were referring to was the boat version not the person, OCD. Anyway congrats on the good news, keep us posted on the progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (11-02-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #207
ApS

Quote:
"...HEAD GASKET!...Could have been bad gas from what I was told.. Sorry to disappoint APS that it wasn't abusive driving... LOL
Yup. Those head gaskets always "just go bad".

Quote:
"...My 72 year old father doesn't know an open end wrench from a socket but I have been tearing motors down since I was 12 years old..."
It's putting them back together that's tough.

Quote:
"...Abuse? There isn't a motor built in this country that can't run at WOT for 12 hours..."
Can? Or can't? Maybe you haven't witnessed "The 12-hours of Sebring".

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
This case was interesting in that the "driver" launched his GFBL off a wave in a boating channel (!) and "stuffed it".

("Pitchpoled"—as used among experienced boaters).

As reported, the family aboard was killed, but what is widely unknown, is that the boat split at the bow, and shells (and other sealife) were found jammed into the gelcoat seam at the bow.

The bow of this boat had struck the bottom—in eight feet of water!

Quote:
BTW: "...I used the donate button..."
Just one donor from all of these dozen+ bandwidth users?
Wait!...Did you donate?

Quote:
"...Did you use the donate button? You are using more BW than anyone else on this forum by "parsing" text and attaching that silly image to everyone of your posts..."
1) If you were observant, you'd see I select that image for use at the boating threads—only. I expect to change it eventually, but I'm confused as to what's "silly" about it—is it the photo part—or the message part? The photo part, I see every day on the water.

2) I am a regular contributor

Quote:
"...You on the lake today?? I was and didn't see a single sailboat out there especially one with someone wearing a hat with 2 Nat King Cole CDs glued to it..."
My boat's been out of the water for two weeks, as I wrote elsewhere here.

Y'know, distancing yourself from the "Winnipesaukee Belle" crowd isn't going to win you any more friends.

My music taste runs to acoustic guitar with vocals. (Otherwise, Ray Charles', Oh beautiful for spacious skies "gets me" every time).

The discarded CDs I use have "Ethernet" and "AOL" graphics on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
"...They should consider a boating speed limit in VA, where accidents are on the rise...I guess "education" and "enforcement of existing laws" didn't do the trick for them either..."
VA definitely has a problem with agressive driving: that's the state that has to use state police cars as "rolling roadblocks" to tame the aggression. My guess is that D.C. is nearby and people who perceive they have greater power will drive in a manner to endanger "lesser citizens".

Quote:
"...How do you know those were taken on the lake...?"
A denial would have been good to read here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
"...Everyone wants to ban everyone else's activity because THEY don't enjoy it..."
Skydivers, Harley riders, snowmobilers, and ice-fishermen don't appear in Criminal Court anywhere near as often.

Quote:
"...Sky Divers like to dive out of prerfectly good working planes...???"
Something I learned from the late Dr. Joe Davis at the Metropolitan Dade County morgue, is that a skydiver who hits the ground without the benefit of an open parachute, will break every bone in his body. The body doesn't go "splat". At the time, we were viewing the body of a 13-year-old boy who had just been wheeled out from being x-rayed—still wearing his helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
"...In 2001, I had the opportunity to go to the Cigarette 'Top Gun' school. That was the most rewarding experience in my life! To be able to work and be trained by professional performance drivers. Their primary goal is SAFETY..."
You deserve congratulations on achieving some measure of "education at speed".

I've been a "continuing student" of auto racing schools and, until last year, have been instructing race car drivers since 1984. (Getting PAID to instruct AND go fast—WHEE!). Unfortunately, the Porsche GT3s were just added to the MY mix on the track, and their overtaking speeds have dissapated my previous enjoyment at the track. (My BMW, at 130-MPH, is no slouch, either).

This is a closed track , with no chance at drowning .

Quote:
"...I have seen the MP having trouble at speed. I remember the time when one of the MP ran over a small whaler in Alton Bay. And the MPO was put on administrative leave and eventually quit...
Be careful who you call immature...!"
You know what happens to US Navy skippers who even (just) run aground, right? That's the end of their US Navy career.

Quote:
"...Don't even TELL me that APS is on a crusade to rid the lake of us irresponsible parents who let our kids sit on our laps and "drive" the boat...The APS' of the world cluck their tongues and shake their heads, tsk tsk, that is unsafe behavior. How Sad..."
Maybe you haven't seen parents on Jet-Skis with infants on their laps. I regard that as reckless as well.

Citing my experience at the Dade County Morgue once again, I'll say that adults look very dead (when dead), and children who are dead...look like they're asleep.

When I read, "He died doing what he loved", I think back that living is far more important than any hobby. Unfortunately, we can no longer interview the deceased for his opinion of his former "sport".

Among those things guaranteed to us Americans is "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness".

Your particular "pursuit" shouldn't take the most important of these away—and that is "Life".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
I'm going to go with "reaching" - I could be wrong, but even APS seems more sensible than that...
Few here have seen things and events that I've seen, and things and events—once seen—can't be "unseen".
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #208
Pineedles

Default Curious

OCD,

I'm not technically astute on this wear on the head gasket. Is it rust or burning that causes that wear? How does the bad gas affect the part? Does it have residual particles that get trapped in the seams?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #209
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
OCD,

I'm not technically astute on this wear on the head gasket. Is it rust or burning that causes that wear? How does the bad gas affect the part? Does it have residual particles that get trapped in the seams?
That is burning.. It normally means it was running very lean causing the burning. This is also commen with a procharger. The particles get trapped in the oil filter but most disintergrate. That explains the "glitter" in my oil filter. If I had pushed it I could have caused a lot of damage to the heads, block etc. I got lucky.

The rule of thumb is if you hear or ever "feel" anything that isn't quite right. And usually only the captain with experience will feel it... SHUT IT DOWN.. It isn't like walking it off...

This could have been a much different story!
NoRegrets (11-03-2009), Pineedles (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #210
Dave R

That's it? that's the only problem? I'm shocked that you let this relatively minor problem ruin the remainder of your boating season, way back in June.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #211
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
That's it? that's the only problem? I'm shocked that you let this relatively minor problem ruin the remainder of your boating season, way back in June.
I agree somewhat.. There had to be something causing the head gasket failure... It would have been a major gamble. I could have replaced it and everything could have run smoothly, however there still could be more damage in the heads. The Heads are going to a machine shop to be inspected and the block pressure tested.

However it may have just been, like you said and easy fix way back in June.

Either way I am getting her back to stock so I won't be worried about it happening again with what could be far worse results.

When she comes home it will be with a brand new engine.

The coupler was also shot said the mechanic so we are replacing that.

Oil pump, springs, bearings, water pump, impeller, fuel injection system..... everything is being redone...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #212
Dave R

Quote:
I agree somewhat.. There had to be something causing the head gasket failure...

I'd guess it was simply excessive pressure due to the supercharger, that's a pretty common failure mode in kit-supercharged engines. In the past, people would machine the heads and block and use metallic O-ring head gaskets to prevent this, usually right after it failed the first time... There might be better solutions now. Best of luck getting it all together and on the water next year.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #213
DoTheMath

Very nice - it's like going to the Dr. and being told that pain in your knee was just a sprain and not a torn ACL! . The only real (slightly) weak spot in that motor is the valve train, (springs, etc...) and it sounds like you're replacing those, so you should be bullet-proof when it goes back in the water. There will always be someone faster out there, I'll take reliability and time on the water over complete fluid and oil changes every 10 hours, any day! .

Make sure you get the newest catalog from Livorsi and a brand new highlighter, shopping is at least 1/2 the fun - and that catalog is ripe with goodies! Its going to be an exciting - and looooong off-season - for you for sure!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #214
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Glad to here things aren't looking as bad as they could have been. Knowing what damage could have been done I am relatively suprised that all that has been uncover so far is a a burnt out head gasket.

Well OCD get some rest now..... your going to need it with all those offers of rides, your going to have a busy summer.....
Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #215
elchase

Quote:
Sir, your age has nothing to do with maturity. Frankly, your recent posts have been immature
Yosemite Sam,
Please don't get discouraged or scared away. Consider the source when you read criticism on these Anti Speed Limit threads. This is a very small cult of cowboys who think that boats should be able to go as fast as the driver wants on a crowded lake, any time he wants, day or night. They let their 6 year old kids pilot their 5-ton speed boats. They somehow contend that as long as they are drunk, it is ok to go really fast. They call run-abouts and canoes "speed bumps". They say smaller boats should be limited to "safer" lakes. They brag about their law-breaking escapades and give each other virtual high fives. They send PM's to inform you of the time they have spent in jail, and use screen names that tell you of their gun caliber preferences and social diseases. The word "maturity" has a whole different meaning to this small little gang. They dominate these threads because it is the only place where they fit in and appear normal. It is the only place that gives forum to law breakers and allows them to boast unlimited of their crimes, while limiting participation by the mainstream.
Your views are spot-on. Keep them coming.

And when you have some time, have a look on the internet and you will see what happens on lakes where the citizens have not organized to take back control. Simple searches reveal thousands of cases where boats like these, driven by cowboys like these, have killed people like you and me. Innocent boaters and bystanders, sometimes while asleep in their waterfront homes, are being killed all over the country and world by boaters like these with the "need for speed" who insist on showing off in their "look at me" boats driving at "look how fast I can go" speeds. Take comfort in the fact that Winnipesaukee used to have fatal accidents like these until we enacted a speed limit, and that our legislature (as much as I cringe at the other things that they have been doing) is not going to repeal a law that has worked so well.

Here are examples of what was and would again be happening on Winnipesaukee if we eliminated the Speed limit;
These two accidents in NY sound identical, except that
3 died in this one;
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...tagh-1.1500143
and ONLY one died in this one;
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Zdass6c9YR4HMO

Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #216
chipj29

Quote:
Take comfort in the fact that Winnipesaukee used to have fatal accidents like these until we enacted a speed limit, and that our legislature (as much as I cringe at the other things that they have been doing) is not going to repeal a law that has worked so well.
Really? How many accidents that involved speed in excess of 45/25 were there on Lake Winni in the past 10 years? Please be specific and cite each one, with the specific cause.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #217
Turtle Boy

A couple of EL's points deserve emphasis. People from out of state sometimes comment to me when they hear of my Winni location about Winni's out of control reputation; it's something I've been trying to ignore for 2 decades now. I agree with EL on the safety issue too...and his links have shown speed is a problem needing to be addressed, both on Winni and elsewhere. I need to add that in addition to safety,there is the issue (as many have pointed out) of speed, noise, and the overall boating experience on the lake. We can't go back to the 1960's...there are just too many boats and the superfast boats on the lake in the 60's were few and far between. Tho only logical solution is a SL and so far it seems to be working. Most of the worst offenders call attention to themselves with major noise. Noise legislation hasn't worked, will not work (even with switchable exhaust) and the noise from these boats is just too loud for most people anyway.
We've heard from a few members about their sense from talking to others that no one (practically) supports the SL. As was mentioned earlier in one of the threads, this seems unusual given the number of people involved in the speed limit movement, people we talk to around the lake, the many organizations that supported Winnfabs and the SL as well as the many businesses that support the SL. I suppose those very vocal people on the forum who said they would never ever again support these businesses are frequenting those that were against limits and are therefore hearing the things they want and expect to hear. Clearly if I went to Murphy's Bar and asked people their opinions on alcohol in America the results would differ significantly from those I'd hear at an AA meeting.
I find it ironic too that the face of the NHRBA will be frequently on the front page in a couple of months when the Sl debate is coming more and more into the headlines as well.
Another good point is the attempted marginalization by the Sl opposition of smaller craft/kayaks/etc. and that some of these people are "stupid" if they would venture into the broads in such a craft. I know of many skilled kayakers who have sea kayaks and are capable of handling more than the broads can offer. To suggest that these craft need to "stay close to shore" is just a self serving example of the smoke and mirrors used by those who want no limits. As EL said a while back "wild horses don't like to be corralled".
I applaud the efforts of NH citizens to take back the lake for a more equitable use for all and also feel it is unlikely that the state legislature will cause a reversal of the gains achieved for the lake, and 45/25 is a good compromise.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #218
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
A couple of EL's points deserve emphasis. People from out of state sometimes comment to me when they hear of my Winni location about Winni's out of control reputation; it's something I've been trying to ignore for 2 decades now. I agree with EL on the safety issue too...and his links have shown speed is a problem needing to be addressed, both on Winni and elsewhere. I need to add that in addition to safety,there is the issue (as many have pointed out) of speed, noise, and the overall boating experience on the lake. We can't go back to the 1960's...there are just too many boats and the superfast boats on the lake in the 60's were few and far between. Tho only logical solution is a SL and so far it seems to be working. Most of the worst offenders call attention to themselves with major noise. Noise legislation hasn't worked, will not work (even with switchable exhaust) and the noise from these boats is just too loud for most people anyway.
We've heard from a few members about their sense from talking to others that no one (practically) supports the SL. As was mentioned earlier in one of the threads, this seems unusual given the number of people involved in the speed limit movement, people we talk to around the lake, the many organizations that supported Winnfabs and the SL as well as the many businesses that support the SL. I suppose those very vocal people on the forum who said they would never ever again support these businesses are frequenting those that were against limits and are therefore hearing the things they want and expect to hear. Clearly if I went to Murphy's Bar and asked people their opinions on alcohol in America the results would differ significantly from those I'd hear at an AA meeting.
I find it ironic too that the face of the NHRBA will be frequently on the front page in a couple of months when the Sl debate is coming more and more into the headlines as well.
Another good point is the attempted marginalization by the Sl opposition of smaller craft/kayaks/etc. and that some of these people are "stupid" if they would venture into the broads in such a craft. I know of many skilled kayakers who have sea kayaks and are capable of handling more than the broads can offer. To suggest that these craft need to "stay close to shore" is just a self serving example of the smoke and mirrors used by those who want no limits. As EL said a while back "wild horses don't like to be corralled".
I applaud the efforts of NH citizens to take back the lake for a more equitable use for all and also feel it is unlikely that the state legislature will cause a reversal of the gains achieved for the lake, and 45/25 is a good compromise.
You know TB, I don't agree with many of your posts. But I have to say that this is an excellent post. It clearly states your position, and why you feel that way. Kudos to you. Although I completely disagree with your position, I still respect it.
OCDACTIVE (11-03-2009), Turtle Boy (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #219
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
You know TB, I don't agree with many of your posts. But I have to say that this is an excellent post. It clearly states your position, and why you feel that way. Kudos to you. Although I completely disagree with your position, I still respect it.
I completely agree.. just don't know what it has to do with my head gasket.. LOL
Turtle Boy (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #220
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Another good point is the attempted marginalization by the Sl opposition of smaller craft/kayaks/etc. and that some of these people are "stupid" if they would venture into the broads in such a craft. I know of many skilled kayakers who have sea kayaks and are capable of handling more than the broads can offer. To suggest that these craft need to "stay close to shore" is just a self serving example of the smoke and mirrors used by those who want no limits.
Don't get me going about kayakers/canoes and sunfishes on the Broads. I have lived on the Broads most of my life. In the past decade I have seen too many of these small crafts get in trouble along the Gilford shore. Especially when the wind is from the North.

As a good Samaritan, I would venture out and rescue these hapless folks. Only because I have a 'performance' boat capable enough to tackle the weather. Even the MP have trouble rescuing. if I call them, it takes a while for them to get there. I can imagine how many people would have drowned if my boat was 'outlawed' from the lake. I had many people thanks their lucky stars that there was a boat capable of fighting the weather.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #221
DEJ

Default Blowing smoke

There is only one group of people IMHO that is blowing smoke regarding the speed limit and that is winnfabs and their supporters. Perhaps that is why your head gasket blew. LOL.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #222
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Don't get me going about kayakers/canoes and sunfishes on the Broads. I have lived on the Broads most of my life. In the past decade I have seen too many of these small crafts get in trouble along the Gilford shore. Especially when the wind is from the North.

As a good Samaritan, I would venture out and rescue these hapless folks. Only because I have a 'performance' boat capable enough to tackle the weather. Even the MP have trouble rescuing. if I call them, it takes a while for them to get there. I can imagine how many people would have drowned if my boat was 'outlawed' from the lake. I had many people thanks their lucky stars that there was a boat capable of fighting the weather.
Agreed, and there will of course be those who don't belong on the broads who do get in trouble, just like there are GFBL's who take different unnecessary risks. My point is that there are those who are capable (the sea kayakers for example) of handling the broads. I am seriously glad you are willing and able to do the occasional rescue, especially at 45 MPH or under.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #223
BroadHopper

Default Great Compromise

Quote:
Agreed, and there will of course be those who don't belong on the broads who do get in trouble, just like there are GFBL's who take different unnecessary risks. My point is that there are those who are capable (the sea kayakers for example) of handling the broads. I am seriously glad you are willing and able to do the occasional rescue, especially at 45 MPH or under.
Then we should attach to the speed limit law a ruling that only ocean type kayaks are allowed on the Broads. No canoes and sunfishes. Because my boat won't be around to rescue them. If this law is about safety, it is the least we should do. A great compromise!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #224
DoTheMath

Just a thought but - kayaks in the broads go beyond the operators or vessels capabilities. Most days it's rough enough out there where a kayak - that sits maybe a foot off the water? - becomes hard to see. As the waves generate "peaks and valleys" (or troughs) the kayak will be in and out of view on a repeated basis. I have never looked at the position of the kayak and paddler as not "belonging" in the broads, so much as it may not the best choice from a safety standpoint? I happen to thoroughly enjoy kayaking and exploring all the places you can't go in a big boat. I consider myself very capable in such a vessel, I have kayaked all over the western hemisphere, fresh and salt water in the US, Mexico, Caribbean, etc... I never really considered putting myself out into open water in these cases, not for fear of anything other than not being visible enough to a larger boat. All boats have conditions that they are suited (designed and built) for, and ones that the operator knows they are pushing the limit, and beyond. I've been there - as a kid, took a 13' Whaler out many a times in water that was beyond what Whaler had in mind I'm sure, but I loved it - and survived just fine. However, I never ventured into the broads on a windy day with it... just didn't seem smart. I pushed the limits of that boat, but never to the point that I felt there could be catastrophic results.

Point is - forget what the boat and operator is capable of, are the conditions and prevailing circumstances conducive to being there? Could the factors that are out of your control have a negative effect on your actions? Example - you read about people going out in a paddle boat or canoe at night, no lights, etc... and they are thinking... well, not sure WHAT they are thinking, but they do it. Now, along comes Joe Q Boater, driving his 22' bowrider, family on board, lights on and doing 24 mph. It is a clear night, he is sober, experienced and 100% within the letter of the law from an operators standpoint. He sees nothing in front of him from an illuminated standpoint, and looks at his wife for 2 seconds to comment on how beautiful of a night it is. Meanwhile, said unlit vessel is crossing between Meredith Neck and Bear Isl, and in those two seconds, tragedy - he hits the canoe, paddle boat, whatever - and say kills one or both of the two occupants. How incredibly awful would you think that operator would feel for the rest of his life about that incident!? It would haunt him forever, and there was basically nothing he could do about it - from a practical standpoint - as it was out of his control. Yes, that is an extreme example - compared to a kayak in the broads during a sunny day, but I am just trying to make a point. The boat and operator may be "capable", but the prevailing conditions may not... And FTR - I would NOT take a kayak out into the broads on any day, it just doesn't seem like the best place to be in a boat like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoTheMath For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-03-2009), hazelnut (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #225
BroadHopper

Default Reasonable and Prudent Use

I think reasonable and prudent use of any watercraft promotes safety. If you read some of the USCG rules (Rule 6, 8 etc.), it is all about safe handling of a water craft. I think that is what NH should put on her books. A kayaker being out on the broads without the proper equipment should be just as guilty as a motorboater speeding out of control through the Weirs Channel. 'Cowboys' can be on any watercraft. Death can happen in a kayak, canoe, rowboat and sailboat, just as much as death can happen on a motorboat. Putting arbitrary limits on motorboats won't cure the lake ills. But putting 'reasonable and prudent operation' of all water vessels will go a long way in the name of safety. That will be a great compromise. Everyone will be responsible for their intentions as skipper on the lake.

I vote that we should adopt the federal rules and make them mandatory on all bodies of water in NH. Not just the ocean.

Your turn.
DoTheMath (11-03-2009), OCDACTIVE (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #226
wpddep

OCD,

Scott, without getting into too many details I'm sure you'll figure out who this is. I haven't seen or talked to you since you got the AT, congrats! I now how long you've been waiting for that. Your father-in-law has been keeping me mostly up to date on your problems, considering all the problems I've been having with my Checkmate (even since you drove it!) My problems are resolved and I couldn't be happier. Great news on the head gasket (all things considered). If you need help with anything, let me or Steve know, I'll be glad to help any way I can. The engine builder I used is about 200 yards away from me at the lake! He did great work (and has a full in-house machine shop) and I got a lot of help from Bob Madara at Marine Kinetics (custom ground cam/matching Morel lifters, Isky Springs setup, etc.). If you are still interested in paint, the guy who did my boat has his shop right over in Gilford, let me know if your interested and I can get you hooked up. We will definitely have to hook up on the water next summer!
The Following User Says Thank You to wpddep For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #227
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpddep View Post
OCD,

Scott, without getting into too many details I'm sure you'll figure out who this is. I haven't seen or talked to you since you got the AT, congrats! I now how long you've been waiting for that. Your father-in-law has been keeping me mostly up to date on your problems, considering all the problems I've been having with my Checkmate (even since you drove it!) My problems are resolved and I couldn't be happier. Great news on the head gasket (all things considered). If you need help with anything, let me or Steve know, I'll be glad to help any way I can. The engine builder I used is about 200 yards away from me at the lake! He did great work (and has a full in-house machine shop) and I got a lot of help from Bob Madara at Marine Kinetics (custom ground cam/matching Morel lifters, Isky Springs setup, etc.). If you are still interested in paint, the guy who did my boat has his shop right over in Gilford, let me know if your interested and I can get you hooked up. We will definitely have to hook up on the water next summer!
Yes, wasn't hard to figure out. Welcome to Winni.com. Love the screen name as well!!!

I appreciate it. I don't know he told you but the boat is being stored down in VA and should be all fixed within a month. I called steve about the painter, he said he wasn't in business. It is fine though because I decided to go vinyl. A lot less $$$ and it is better for resale then to have my name on the side. Not that I ever plan on selling but you have to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

We absolutely have to meet up. I am trying to convince Steve to bring his boat down for Jammin on the James next year. There are a few checkmates doing that run. Actually there are two boats identical to you and steve's except for paint jobs. But we definately need to hook up on the lake. I hope to see you before that and I will bring the video of last years run.

Great hearing from you. Stay on the boards and I will keep you updated as to the progress. Should be some good accesories coming as well.

Take care!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #228
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I think reasonable and prudent use of any watercraft promotes safety. If you read some of the USCG rules (Rule 6, 8 etc.), it is all about safe handling of a water craft. I think that is what NH should put on her books. A kayaker being out on the broads without the proper equipment should be just as guilty as a motorboater speeding out of control through the Weirs Channel. 'Cowboys' can be on any watercraft. Death can happen in a kayak, canoe, rowboat and sailboat, just as much as death can happen on a motorboat. Putting arbitrary limits on motorboats won't cure the lake ills. But putting 'reasonable and prudent operation' of all water vessels will go a long way in the name of safety. That will be a great compromise. Everyone will be responsible for their intentions as skipper on the lake.

I vote that we should adopt the federal rules and make them mandatory on all bodies of water in NH. Not just the ocean.

Your turn.
A simple thank you would not have been good enough here.. This is the best statement I have yet to read on the boards. The USCG knows more then any of us and if their laws are good enough for the US, why aren't they good enough for lake winni?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #229
hazelnut

Quote:
While I vehemently disagree with your position and your conclusions this is as well stated a post I have ever seen coming from the Supporters side. Very UNLIKE a certain post before this one. No, unfortunately the other person has to resort to outright lies and inflammatory statements. He wonders why a large percentage of people have him on the ignore list. It's also no wonder why SL Supporters that have posted for years here have distanced themselves from him.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #230
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

Really this is your example of WOT, Yeah no corners at Sebring for 12 hours.

Quote:
I've been a "continuing student" of auto racing schools and, until last year, have been instructing race car drivers since 1984. (Getting PAID to instruct AND go fast—WHEE!). Unfortunately, the Porsche GT3s were just added to the MY mix on the track, and their overtaking speeds have dissapated my previous enjoyment at the track. (My BMW, at 130-MPH, is no slouch, either).
At first I was thinking that your first comment above was based on little knowledge of the sport, then I read this and think to myself, do you actually use the rev-limiter while racing. As you know that any sustained contact with the limiter will make you engine go POP. By the way my wifes Saab will do 130mph+ as well, whats your point, as you know it is not about how fast the car can go, its how much speed the driver and car together, can handle around the entire circuit, we are not talking drag racing, here.

I am really confused, all that experience and these are your examples.

Quote:
1) If you were observant, you'd see I select that image for use at the boating threads—only. I expect to change it eventually, but I'm confused as to what's "silly" about it—is it the photo part—or the message part? The photo part, I see every day on the water.
If you look here, http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7586 you would know that this statement is not true at all and that is without looking hard APS.
And speaking of that picture, I wonder if you would take responsibility for causing an accident on the water? If your signaling device were to impair the vision of the operator to cause an incident with another boat other than yourself, or triggered an epileptic event in the operator or an occupant of that boat.

APS, why do your posts take hours to show up in these threads, it seems odd that after reading through these forums, the conversation shifts a little and then these posts just pop out up. This may be out of your control (connection, whatever), just did not know if you knew that was happening.

Last edited by jmen24; 11-03-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #231
DEJ

He deserves an Emmy for the "stories" he has told over the years.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #232
elchase

Quote:
He wonders why a large percentage of people have him on the ignore list.
No I don't.

Quote:
It's also no wonder why SL Supporters that have posted for years here have distanced themselves from him.
What "SL Supporters" are you referring to?

TB, thanks for the support. Keep the faith. Don't let the phony KAing lull you.

Here's a case where the driver admits to both drinking and speeding, leading to this accident that KILLED THREE. By the cult's logic of "two negatives make a positive", he did nothing wrong. "But he was intoxicated too!" they will shout. Doesn't say whether the dead were his innocent passengers or innocent people sitting on the dock he smashed into at 50MPH. "But he would have been breaking the 150 rule too!" they will shout. Perhaps his boat would have also violated our noise statute, rendering this accident "proof" that our SL should be repealed..."But his boat was too loud too!" ;
http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...m2wijlbZQ.cspx

Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #233
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
OCD,

What ended up being the issue with the engine? also I hear you are going to be pushing some Major HP!!.. Your boat will fly right by me.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #234
hazelnut

I have this vision of a lone man in a hallway screaming and rantng to nobody. It's becoming more than a little comical now.

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around.... Yada yada yada
Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #235
Ryan

Quote:
the dock he smashed into at 50MPH.
So, at 45MPH, those who were killed in this tragic accident would be around today? Doubt it.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #236
robmac

Looks from the gasket failure like she was leaning out,I'm sure your mechanic will but check injectors,and fuel pump volume. Great news no big failure and big buck repair.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #237
VtSteve

Default Good post APS

I must say, turns out you're much more adventurous than myself

My car's speedo goes to 160 mph, I however, do not Not much of a thrillseeker myself. And no, you certainly cannot "unsee" that which has been seen. Many have tried to eradicate things seen before, and in many ways (many harmful as well).

I used to be more live and let live. Now? Sometimes I say Cut the crap cowboy and grow up! to those that live recklessly, and worst of all, In the midst of those that are not You know the idiots, we all have seen them.

There's a fine line between compromise and overreaching. At some point, reality and common sense has to factor into the decision-making process. Many times, I think you overshoot your obstacle, perhaps it's due to a need for more solitude than your surroundings can offer.

But I do feel you want to eliminate as much of your surroundings as possible, unless they mesh with your particular lifestyle or visions thereof. Perhaps I'm wrong. I have no need for 100 mph plus boats, nor the loud noises, nor the danger. But I have no tolerance for cowboys in any boat, regardless of noise or propulsion. But I have no plans that involve eradicating vessels from lakes anytime soon.

Many of us agree on the safety proposition, good place to start.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #238
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Looks from the gasket failure like she was leaning out,I'm sure your mechanic will but check injectors,and fuel pump volume. Great news no big failure and big buck repair.
Exactly..... I am replacing the injectors with the stock ones after they are pressure tested as well..... From what I have been reading and have heard this happens a lot with procharged / whippled engines.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #239
Cal

OCDACTIVE
I'll stand behind you anyday of the week! And by the looks of it, not too far behind you.
BTW Sam , I collect Social Security and been boating since I was 11.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #240
wpddep

OCD,

Ended up being bad cam. Lobes, ramps, everything flattened. 1800runsnew, junk. Anyway, after complete rebuild, decked the block, line bored, shaved & ported heads, bumped up the compression, custom cam as stated and everything matched I'm looking at about 600-630hp. Hasn't been dynoed yet but it sure feels it! I saw you were searching for props, as am I. I do have a brand new Bravo 1 26p for you to try....problem is it is a RH and I think you are looking for a left. If you want to give it a try anyway we can reverse your drive temporarily just to see how that hull likes it, should be very close. (Actually, if I remember you have a Livorsi shifter? Run it in reverse, same results if you can get used to it for a short run!)
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #241
VitaBene

Default Quick response

Quote:
Yup. Those head gaskets always "just go bad".

It's putting them back together that's tough.

This case was interesting in that the "driver" launched his GFBL off a wave in a boating channel (!) and "stuffed it".

("Pitchpoled"—as used among experienced boaters).

As reported, the family aboard was killed, but what is widely unknown, is that the boat split at the bow, and shells (and other sealife) were found jammed into the gelcoat seam at the bow.

The bow of this boat had struck the bottom—in eight feet of water!

Just one donor from all of these dozen+ bandwidth users?
Wait!...Did you donate?

2) I am a regular contributor

My boat's been out of the water for two weeks, as I wrote elsewhere here.

Y'know, distancing yourself from the "Winnipesaukee Belle" crowd isn't going to win you any more friends.

My music taste runs to acoustic guitar with vocals. (Otherwise, Ray Charles', Oh beautiful for spacious skies "gets me" every time).

The discarded CDs I use have "Ethernet" and "AOL" graphics on them.

VA definitely has a problem with agressive driving: that's the state that has to use state police cars as "rolling roadblocks" to tame the aggression. My guess is that D.C. is nearby and people who perceive they have greater power will drive in a manner to endanger "lesser citizens".

A denial would have been good to read here....

Skydivers, Harley riders, snowmobilers, and ice-fishermen don't appear in Criminal Court anywhere near as often.

Something I learned from the late Dr. Joe Davis at the Metropolitan Dade County morgue, is that a skydiver who hits the ground without the benefit of an open parachute, will break every bone in his body. The body doesn't go "splat". At the time, we were viewing the body of a 13-year-old boy who had just been wheeled out from being x-rayed—still wearing his helmet.

You deserve congratulations on achieving some measure of "education at speed".

This is a closed track , with no chance at drowning .

You know what happens to US Navy skippers who even (just) run aground, right? That's the end of their US Navy career.

Maybe you haven't seen parents on Jet-Skis with infants on their laps. I regard that as reckless as well.

Citing my experience at the Dade County Morgue once again, I'll say that adults look very dead (when dead), and children who are dead...look like they're asleep.

When I read, "He died doing what he loved", I think back that living is far more important than any hobby. Unfortunately, we can no longer interview the deceased for his opinion of his former "sport".

Among those things guaranteed to us Americans is "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness".

Your particular "pursuit" shouldn't take the most important of these away—and that is "Life".

Few here have seen things and events that I've seen, and things and events—once seen—can't be "unseen".
I had started in on a long response to yet another one of your cobbled together, taken out of context, a$$inine posts but decided it was not worth the effort.

You can live in a bubble if you choose, and I agree that you can't interview the dead (wow you have seen dead people in a real morgue, how impressive), how about interviewing the ones who scraped by? How many of them climbed back on the "horse" that nearly killed them.

Finally, your closed track nonsense is just that, here is a little tidbit for you "The total number of spectator deaths and injuries is unknown, but at least 29 spectators died and 70 were injured by race cars or flying car parts at U.S. auto racing events alone since 1999, according to according to
The Charlotte (N C.) Observer"

Jmen already has shown that you post that silly picture in non boating threads- it is a pretty funny picture BTW. However, the real question remains, can your "system" cause an accident? Do you take it off when not aiming at your version of a BH? If it did cause an accident and me or one of mine were involved it would be sticking out the other end of your body.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #242
VitaBene

Default EL you are a piece...

Quote:
Yosemite Sam,
Please don't get discouraged or scared away. Consider the source when you read criticism on these Anti Speed Limit threads. This is a very small cult of cowboys who think that boats should be able to go as fast as the driver wants on a crowded lake, any time he wants, day or night. They let their 6 year old kids pilot their 5-ton speed boats. They somehow contend that as long as they are drunk, it is ok to go really fast. They call run-abouts and canoes "speed bumps". They say smaller boats should be limited to "safer" lakes. They brag about their law-breaking escapades and give each other virtual high fives. They send PM's to inform you of the time they have spent in jail, and use screen names that tell you of their gun caliber preferences and social diseases. The word "maturity" has a whole different meaning to this small little gang. They dominate these threads because it is the only place where they fit in and appear normal. It is the only place that gives forum to law breakers and allows them to boast unlimited of their crimes, while limiting participation by the mainstream.
Your views are spot-on. Keep them coming.

And when you have some time, have a look on the internet and you will see what happens on lakes where the citizens have not organized to take back control. Simple searches reveal thousands of cases where boats like these, driven by cowboys like these, have killed people like you and me. Innocent boaters and bystanders, sometimes while asleep in their waterfront homes, are being killed all over the country and world by boaters like these with the "need for speed" who insist on showing off in their "look at me" boats driving at "look how fast I can go" speeds. Take comfort in the fact that Winnipesaukee used to have fatal accidents like these until we enacted a speed limit, and that our legislature (as much as I cringe at the other things that they have been doing) is not going to repeal a law that has worked so well.

Here are examples of what was and would again be happening on Winnipesaukee if we eliminated the Speed limit;
These two accidents in NY sound identical, except that
3 died in this one;
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...tagh-1.1500143
and ONLY one died in this one;
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/o...Zdass6c9YR4HMO
of work- you have chosen to not believe a thing that has been written by anyone with an opposing view. I will say it again- THE MAJORITY OF SL OPPONENTS DO NOT OWN A BOAT THAT CAN EXCEED IT. Is that clear enough? I guess not.

Most of us own and use those things you refer to as speed bumps, however, we do know there is a time and place for everything (I for example choose not to run on Rt 109 even though it is legal).

The only PM I have sent you is to offer condolences on your mother's passing (unacknowledged BTW but according to Emily Post you have a year to do so)

Where did anyone say it was OK to drink and boat??

I bet my 14 year old son can out boat you any day of the week- he learned from a young age, from watching, from sitting on my lap, from listening.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #243
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
Just a thought but - kayaks in the broads go beyond the operators or vessels capabilities. Most days it's rough enough out there where a kayak - that sits maybe a foot off the water? - becomes hard to see. As the waves generate "peaks and valleys" (or troughs) the kayak will be in and out of view on a repeated basis. I have never looked at the position of the kayak and paddler as not "belonging" in the broads, so much as it may not the best choice from a safety standpoint? I happen to thoroughly enjoy kayaking and exploring all the places you can't go in a big boat. I consider myself very capable in such a vessel, I have kayaked all over the western hemisphere, fresh and salt water in the US, Mexico, Caribbean, etc... I never really considered putting myself out into open water in these cases, not for fear of anything other than not being visible enough to a larger boat. All boats have conditions that they are suited (designed and built) for, and ones that the operator knows they are pushing the limit, and beyond. I've been there - as a kid, took a 13' Whaler out many a times in water that was beyond what Whaler had in mind I'm sure, but I loved it - and survived just fine. However, I never ventured into the broads on a windy day with it... just didn't seem smart. I pushed the limits of that boat, but never to the point that I felt there could be catastrophic results.

Point is - forget what the boat and operator is capable of, are the conditions and prevailing circumstances conducive to being there? Could the factors that are out of your control have a negative effect on your actions? Example - you read about people going out in a paddle boat or canoe at night, no lights, etc... and they are thinking... well, not sure WHAT they are thinking, but they do it. Now, along comes Joe Q Boater, driving his 22' bowrider, family on board, lights on and doing 24 mph. It is a clear night, he is sober, experienced and 100% within the letter of the law from an operators standpoint. He sees nothing in front of him from an illuminated standpoint, and looks at his wife for 2 seconds to comment on how beautiful of a night it is. Meanwhile, said unlit vessel is crossing between Meredith Neck and Bear Isl, and in those two seconds, tragedy - he hits the canoe, paddle boat, whatever - and say kills one or both of the two occupants. How incredibly awful would you think that operator would feel for the rest of his life about that incident!? It would haunt him forever, and there was basically nothing he could do about it - from a practical standpoint - as it was out of his control. Yes, that is an extreme example - compared to a kayak in the broads during a sunny day, but I am just trying to make a point. The boat and operator may be "capable", but the prevailing conditions may not... And FTR - I would NOT take a kayak out into the broads on any day, it just doesn't seem like the best place to be in a boat like that.
DTM- Your post makes to much sense, it will be dismissed as more proof that the cowboys want to reign.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #244
BroadHopper

Default Boneheads reign Supreme

Quote:
A simple thank you would not have been good enough here.. This is the best statement I have yet to read on the boards. The USCG knows more then any of us and if their laws are good enough for the US, why aren't they good enough for lake winni?
I see the SL supporters are completely ignoring this compromise. What tick me off that SL Opposers are willing to compromise in the name of safety for all boaters. SL Supporters don't give a squat about those boneheads that are not performance boaters. They are the real problem that needs to be addressed.
Cal (11-05-2009), DoTheMath (11-04-2009), Just Sold (11-05-2009), LIforrelaxin (11-06-2009), NoBozo (11-04-2009), OCDACTIVE (11-04-2009), VitaBene (11-04-2009)
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #245
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
OCD,

Ended up being bad cam. Lobes, ramps, everything flattened. 1800runsnew, junk. Anyway, after complete rebuild, decked the block, line bored, shaved & ported heads, bumped up the compression, custom cam as stated and everything matched I'm looking at about 600-630hp. Hasn't been dynoed yet but it sure feels it! I saw you were searching for props, as am I. I do have a brand new Bravo 1 26p for you to try....problem is it is a RH and I think you are looking for a left. If you want to give it a try anyway we can reverse your drive temporarily just to see how that hull likes it, should be very close. (Actually, if I remember you have a Livorsi shifter? Run it in reverse, same results if you can get used to it for a short run!)

Thank you, I appreciate the offer. I should be able to trade my 32 LH for a 26 LH, especially as the season comes closer. You wil smoke me with that HP. Did you have to upgrade your drive at all? I would assume so. I don't recall but do you have hydro-steering?

Looking forward to braun bay this year... I might have trouble keeping pace with you though..

Should be a great summer!! Wait until you see the paint scheme...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #246
VitaBene

Default Pitch change

OCD, is your pitch change because you're bring the power down entirely or were you after better holeshot/ acceleration anyway?

Just curious, I have spent a lot of time on boating furums reading about pitch and find it interesting how similar it is to gearing on a car or truck. I dont't think I am properly dialed in on my boat and am always trying to learn.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #247
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
OCD, is your pitch change because you're bring the power down entirely or were you after better holeshot/ acceleration anyway?

Just curious, I have spent a lot of time on boating furums reading about pitch and find it interesting how similar it is to gearing on a car or truck. I dont't think I am properly dialed in on my boat and am always trying to learn.
It is because I am going down from 680 HP to 500 HP.

The prop was a 32. Very slow out of the hole but very fast on top end and great acceleration in the mid range.

The owner of A/T is a friend of mine and I spoke with him about the boat. He said to run a 24 Bravo 1 for optimum performance. I have spoken with a few other owners that have tried the 26 and they were happy. I have the 24 already but since I have this extra 32 in prestine condition I hoped to trade her up and have both. From what I have read and discussed I really want to try get the 26 labbed in turn should get the overall performance of the 24 with a few extra MPH on the top end.... Either way I am very excited.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #248
RTTOOL
Banned

I would use a five blade with no ring on the end. With the size of the boat and your hp...
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #249
wpddep

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the offer. I should be able to trade my 32 LH for a 26 LH, especially as the season comes closer. You wil smoke me with that HP. Did you have to upgrade your drive at all? I would assume so. I don't recall but do you have hydro-steering?

Looking forward to braun bay this year... I might have trouble keeping pace with you though..

Should be a great summer!! Wait until you see the paint scheme...
OCD,

I have not upgraded the drive yet, too much $$ right now. I do have full hydraulic, can't live without it! Braun Bay sounds good but I'll have to take you over to Sebago next year for some real fun!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #250
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
OCD,

I have not upgraded the drive yet, too much $$ right now. I do have full hydraulic, can't live without it! Braun Bay sounds good but I'll have to take you over to Sebago next year for some real fun!
I have heard there are some really fun spots.. My only issue with taking trips is I have to make sure my son is taken care of. Thats one reason I love Winni so much. Both sets of grandparents are there and I have a free dock space!! But if we are planning a weekend I can see about having your boat at my dock... There is definately enough room..
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #251
gtagrip

Quote:
OCD,

I agree, the sandbar at Sebago blows away Braun Bay! Enjoy, but not to much!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #252
wpddep

I'll definitely be over to Winni several times, although with all these posts I've read I'm afraid I wouldn't be welcome with a "performance boat" you know, being the wreckless, law breaking citizen that I am!
The Following User Says Thank You to wpddep For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #253
gtagrip

Quote:
I'll definitely be over to Winni several times, although with all these posts I've read I'm afraid I wouldn't be welcome with a "performance boat" you know, being the wreckless, law breaking citizen that I am!
Don't forget Cowboy.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #254
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Yes you could be one of the biggest offenders out there...!!! I can't believe they allow you on the roads not matter the lake.. I may have to make a citizens arrest.. Although by the sounds of it there are a few on here that plan on doing that already. They will just have to let out a lot more sail to catch up.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #255
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
I agree, the sandbar at Sebago blows away Braun Bay! Enjoy, but not to much!
do they also have the big billboard sign explaining the rafting rules??? LOL
Old 11-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #256
gtagrip

Quote:

do they also have the big billboard sign explaining the rafting rules??? LOL
I don't recall any such sign. But maybe I was "going faster than my ability to see any such sign"???
Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #257
OCDACTIVE

Default What do you think???

I wasn't going to show anyone but figured what the hell....... What do you think of this paintjob? Just got the graphics finalized and contracted the place to do it. Sorry APS... not in the lakes region.. But closer.... Danvers MA.
Attached Images

Last edited by OCDACTIVE; 11-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-09-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #258
gtagrip

Quote:
I wasn't going to show anyone but figured what the hell....... What do you think of this paintjob? Just got the graphics finalized and contracted the place to do it. Sorry APS... not in the lakes region.. But closer.... Danvers MA.
I like it! Although those "blue flames" look like they are going faster than 45mph!
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #259
DEJ

Looks good. Blue and white are classic boat colors.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #260
VtSteve

I like it a lot. I don;t have to pay for it, I can drink in it, and you're willing to have me spend the weekend fueling it for you as you chauffeur me around.

Oh, by the way, we'll need it for the weekend at the Naswa to see if the cabing is big enough, and has enough headroom
Old 11-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #261
robmac

OCD,it's going to look great. Can't wait to see it on the water again,gave me a couple of ideas for my boat over the winter.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #262
ApS

Cool Question Mop-up Time...

Quote:
"...can your "system" cause an accident...?"
A fair question regarding my CD warning-signals.

A bright flash of sunlight can cause a migraine "aura". That "aura" can—after a few minutes—temporarily blind those who are afflicted with that particular cousin of epilepsy. (Like myself).

The flash from a CD is much less (and much "briefer") than the sun's flash off a flat windshield, say, of a Formula performance boat.

Quote:
"...'The total number of spectator deaths and injuries is unknown, but at least 29 spectators died and 70 were injured by race cars or flying car parts at U.S. auto racing events alone since 1999, according to according to The Charlotte (N C.) Observer'"...your closed track nonsense is just that..."
On the road courses I frequent, spectators are seldom subjected to flying car parts OR flying cars. Collisions are far "rarer" at road courses than any track near Charlotte. We road-racers have gravel traps, tire walls and "escape roads": ALL the risk is ALL on the driver—which is as it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
"...do you actually use the rev-limiter while racing..."
My rev-limiter has been disabled on my "M-engine" (BMW-Motorsport Division). Concerned about missing a shift (and hitting 9500-RPMs) I relayed that concern to my tuner.

My tuner replied:

Quote:
"M-engines routinely run over 10,500-RPMs".

Quote:
"...In the past decade I have seen too many of these small crafts get in trouble along the Gilford shore. Especially when the wind is from the North.
And when the wind is from the South, I get to rescue them! (Though most just wade their boat to a beach, pull their boat up and "wait out the weather").
Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #263
jmen24

Quote:
And speaking of that picture, I wonder if you would take responsibility for causing an accident on the water? If your signaling device were to impair the vision of the operator to cause an incident with another boat other than yourself, or triggered an epileptic event in the operator or an occupant of that boat.
Quote:
However, the real question remains, can your "system" cause an accident? Do you take it off when not aiming at your version of a BH?
APS, I must say that your silence on this question speaks volumes about how you view your actions. But when it comes to others, you are the loudest horn in the band.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-09-2009)
Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #264
OCDACTIVE

i was able to fix the picture
Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #265
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Looks good OCD.... Nice and simple..... Some Paint Jobs, or Vinyl jobs get a way to fancy.... Simple always looks nicer in my opinion.....
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #266
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Looks good OCD.... Nice and simple..... Some Paint Jobs, or Vinyl jobs get a way to fancy.... Simple always looks nicer in my opinion.....
Thanks man. That was my goal. the boat is great without graphics and I didn't want to overdue it.... It should turn out very nice. Very excited...
Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #267
jmen24

Quote:
My rev-limiter has been disabled on my "M-engine" (BMW-Motorsport Division). Concerned about missing a shift (and hitting 9500-RPMs) I relayed that concern to my tuner.

My tuner replied:
Quote:
"M-engines routinely run over 10,500-RPMs".

Let me know how that works out for you. Routinely and sustained are two different things. I am glad you agree that hitting redline at WOT without a load applied could be damaging to an engine.

As I am sure you are aware running WOT with a load applied (such as exiting a corner) and running WOT at redline (such as entering a corner or missing a shift) are two completely different animals and the damage to the vehicle is different (in most cases).
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #268
BroadHopper

Quote:
As I am sure you are aware running WOT with a load applied (such as exiting a corner) and running WOT at redline (such as entering a corner or missing a shift) are two completely different animals and the damage to the vehicle is different (in most cases).
In marine applications there is always a steady load and there is no missed shifts. Except when you are wave dancing. There is an electronic rev limiter that can be turned on and off from the dash. Really handy when dancing. This is what I saw at the top gun school in Aventura.

I was told not to be too concerned with over revving in marine applications because of steady load. the rev limiters installed by the factory is only for warranty purpose and can be overrided with a reprogram of the ECU. Using the correct pitch prop to get WOT 'in the zone'

A good rev limiter cuts out the spark one cylinder at a time to avoid a total shut down which could cause a mechanical shock and early parts failure. My last look at these products are good examples of rev limiters. The MSD and the Jacobs line.
jmen24 (11-10-2009)
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #269
OCDACTIVE

Default Great news!!!!

OCD Engine Update.

Just heard from down south........... And everything with the heads and block are fine. The heads were magnafluxed and they are allset. The Block was pressure tested and its good to go.

Wow is that a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So things should be coming together soon.

Will keep you updated!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #270
BroadHopper

Default New wheels

24" Revolution 4 4 blade. Best prop so far.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #271
VtSteve

That's a mean prop BH. My little 5.0 couldn't turn the Rev4 I tried into a winner. My boat is far lighter than yours, but without the big block for torque. I really wanted the Rev 4 to work, because I heard it was a delight for fixing the Alpha Ones propensity for poor slow speed steering, particularly in reverse.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #272
BroadHopper

Default Little history

My previous boat was a Liberator 211 with 350 Magnum. Originally came with a Michgan 19" SS prop. That was the best for that boat after trying tons of props. A 21" Laser was the best speed prop but it was subject to 'blow outs'. It also got the boat up to the point it will 'chine walk' at about 53 mph. Scary! The Liberator was a great boat for the 350. Highly recomend it.

The current Formula f 223 LS with 454 Magnum came with a 19" SS Mercury prop. It was hitting the rev limiter all the time. Swap for a 21" Bravo and again, hitting the rev limiter. Swap for a 23" Bravo and it appears to be a great all around prop. But I still hit the rev limiter. I tried the 25" Bravo solid hub and the boat flies! It was 400 rpm below the rev limiter, but 'blows out' easily in corners or if I try to do a hole shot. The current 24" prop is a delight. No blow outs. Less vibration. Same max rpm. Less speed but love the all around performance.

I want to thank Ron at Lakeport Landing for the prop swaps. I also want to thank Eddie at Winnisquam Marine for swapping the 4 blade. I use EBay as well to buy and sell SS props.

I have a 23" Bravo and a 25" Bravo solid hub for sale. Both 3 blades. I will accept any reasonable offer. I have a 23" aluminum. I keep that when I go on a body of water that I am not familiar with.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #273
Dave R

Quote:
I have a 23" aluminum. I keep that when I go on a body of water that I am not familiar with.

A 454 and an aluminum prop must feel like complete mush. I'd love to see high speed video of the blades flexing at maximum engine torque and load.