Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
dva

Default Alton Tax increase

I am surprised no one has made a comment on there Alton Tax bill. It looks like a 10% increase. I didn't expect that. Should have figured that was the plan when they revalued the property last year and that was our tax increase.
dva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dva View Post
I am surprised no one has made a comment on there Alton Tax bill. It looks like a 10% increase. I didn't expect that. Should have figured that was the plan when they revalued the property last year and that was our tax increase.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=23974

Replace the word 'Wolfboro' with the word 'Alton' in every single post from the above link.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I think every town is going to see an increase due to valuations going up.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Will have to wait to see what happens to actual selling prices and assessed values with regard to the new $10,000 federal limit for deducting state and local property taxes .... i.e. paying the property tax bill above $10,000 with real money.

Will also have to wait and see what happens with Bob Bahre's lawsuit in Belknap court vs the Town of Alton over his assessed value considering it is a high profile case involving a very high home value ..... assessed by Alton for $23,109,500 ..... and after four years on the market now an asking price of how much ........ $-,---,---?
Old 11-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It doesn't matter if valuations go up or not. They need a certain amount of money and either the value of your property will be high or the rate will go up. Notice how when they have a big evaluation, the rate goes down, but it doesn't take too many years before the rate is right back up. We shouldn't have the big evaluation rises we used to have in NH thought because they 're now required to keep up with them. If i remember right they only used to do them every 5 or 10 years so there could be a big change.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
fatlazyless

With the loss of the plus ten thousand dollar/year federal income tax deduction, won't it mean paying more annually and owning a less valuable home for the high end, big money, waterfront cabins?

Yearly expense will go up, up, up ...... and the value will go down, down, down .... because the fed is no more your real estate best buddy ..... that friendly fed .... what happened ...... where u go .... boo-hoo?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #7
dva

Default Alton tax increase

In a town like Alton with very few services what can cause such a large jump in one year? What changed the budget so much?
dva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
With the loss of the plus ten thousand dollar/year federal income tax deduction, won't it mean paying more annually and owning a less valuable home for the high end, big money, waterfront cabins?

Yearly expense will go up, up, up ...... and the value will go down, down, down .... because the fed is no more your real estate best buddy ..... that friendly fed .... what happened ...... where u go .... boo-hoo?

Not necessarily true. It’s different for everyone. Yes limited to 10k but the standard deduction increased, which obviously they want less people to itemize and less chance of people overstating their expenses but the tax rates have gone down.

As I have also stated before there are other ways to deduct your expenses on a second home if set up properly and do certain things which are completely to irs code. However again this is not available to all consult your tax professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

You're really stuck on this 10K tax write off limit. I doubt that will make a difference at all in the value of waterfront homes. If the economy stays healthy rich people will still buy them.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You're really stuck on this 10K tax write off limit. I doubt that will make a difference at all in the value of waterfront homes. If the economy stays healthy rich people will still buy them.
I agree. It will have absolutely NO effect on the housing market, primary or secondary homes
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default In Alton, magic number is $715k

In Alton, with the current rate of $13.99 per $1,000 valuation, the magic number to hit the $10,000 is a property value of $715,000. Taxes would be a smidgen over $10k.

Our bill was about $200 higher for this installment.

Dave
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Meredith went up .39 per 1K.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #13
Biggd

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Meredith went up .39 per 1K.
Did you get your bill already?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
MAXUM

Quote:
Did you get your bill already?
Nope, but I see my new assessment for this year has gone up again for the 4th straight year. They have updated assessed values on the vision appraisal website.

The 2018 tax rate is posted on the State's web site. Not all towns were reporting but Meredith's was included. According to that the new tax rate is $15.62

https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.pdf

I don't understand why the town doesn't promptly update or better put is obligated to on their website as soon as it's set, again assuming this is accurate. Why make this a big secret you have to go digging for?
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #15
MAXUM

Rumor has it they purposely raised FLL's assessment enough so his tax bill will be over 10K so he would go even more mental. It's for a good cause though to build a slush fund for the bi annual re-paving of Meredith neck road.

Just think at the losses Wal Mart stock holders are going to take as a result and the Chinese noodle factories that will go out of business as a result. BOO HOO!

Better short your Walmart holdings, their best customer just went flat broke!
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
Biggd

Quote:
Nope, but I see my new assessment for this year has gone up again for the 4th straight year. They have updated assessed values on the vision appraisal website.

The 2018 tax rate is posted on the State's web site. Not all towns were reporting but Meredith's was included. According to that the new tax rate is $15.62

https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.pdf

I don't understand why the town doesn't promptly update or better put is obligated to on their website as soon as it's set, again assuming this is accurate. Why make this a big secret you have to go digging for?
I just checked mine, my tax bill is going up about $200. My assessment was reasonable.
I'm glad I wasn't there to let them in when they came out to look at it. They could only judge by looking in the windows.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #17
MAXUM

Quote:
I just checked mine, my tax bill is going up about $200. My assessment was reasonable.
I'm glad I wasn't there to let them in when they came out to look at it. They could only judge by looking in the windows.
Pretty sure you don't have to let them in if you don't want to. If you file an abatement and argue the assessed value then I think you forfeit any right to keep them out.

Shades for all first floor windows are a great investment for a myriad of reasons!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
Biggd

Quote:
Pretty sure you don't have to let them in if you don't want to. If you file an abatement and argue the assessed value then I think you forfeit any right to keep them out.

Shades for all first floor windows are a great investment for a myriad of reasons!
I have blinds but I keep them open because I have big windows and skylights facing South and it usually warms up the inside as long as it's sunny out.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
Flylady

Default Increase in Spending=Increase in Tax Bills

Very simple.....budgets are put in place, warrant articles created and town people vote to approve the budget. If you do not want taxes to increase, just like any business or other government entity, spending must be held to prior year levels or reduced to provide tax relief.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Very simple.....budgets are put in place, warrant articles created and town people vote to approve the budget. If you do not want taxes to increase, just like any business or other government entity, spending must be held to prior year levels or reduced to provide tax relief.
Exactly but they never seem to vote anything down.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Wink

Quote:

You do not have to let them in but if you do not then you cannot appeal the assessment for one year.

In a town on the lake where I built some condos the Building Inspector informs the Assessor as soon as he issues each occupancy permit. They then send you a letter asking to view it and appraise it. If you don't respond within 60 days they send a more forceful letter to inform you that you will not have the right to appeal for one year.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote