Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Cshipley

Default driveway quote

We need to have a driveway put in leading to our new home that is set fairly far from the road - anywhere from 500 - 1000 ft. I know I will need someone to come out for a site visit. I am simply looking for a rough estimate on that type of work just as a starting point.
Cshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Little Bear

I used W.F. Richards & Son out of Meredith for my very long (1600’) and steep driveway. They did it 17 years ago, and I’ve never had a problem with washout since. Their number is 603-279-4214.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Cshipley

Thank you for the reply. I realize 17 years was a long time ago but would you mind sharing the cost if you remember?
Cshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cshipley For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshipley View Post
We need to have a driveway put in leading to our new home that is set fairly far from the road - anywhere from 500 - 1000 ft. I know I will need someone to come out for a site visit. I am simply looking for a rough estimate on that type of work just as a starting point.
A tad bid of variables.
Trees/stumps.
Rocks.
Crushed stone.
Gravel.
Culverts.
Width.

And a driveway permit.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
DesertDweller

I looked at a lot a few years back where the house location was going to be 700 to 800 feet back from the road. There was a decent dirt path for about half of it and the other half needed to have some trees and large rocks removed. I have a guy who did driveway work for us at our existing place come out and give me a ball park guesstimate. To clear out the things that needed to be cleared out and put down a good base with ledge pack on top was going to be in the $25,000+/- range. It was enough that it scared me away from buying the lot. Not sure what the driveway path would be in your case and what type of trees and rock that need to be cleared but that was the number I was quoted. You're talking about a lot of materials to do a 1000 foot driveway.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
A tad bid of variables.
Trees/stumps.
Rocks.
Crushed stone.
Gravel.
Culverts.
Width.

And a driveway permit.
I'm actually surprised that one needs a permit for a driveway since an actual structure isn't being erected......

Personally I look at a driveway as extended landscaping.

Anyways, maybe each Town has different rules and regulations.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:27 AM   #7
jeffk

You could probably get a company to come in and do it on the cheap and in a few years you would notice the pavement is starting to wave and crack because the base soil work wasn't done right. Also you might have drainage and freezing on some parts of the driveway because the leveling and drainage was not done right. Fixing problems like these could be cost prohibitive.

To do it right, the company has to remove 8 - 12 inches of soil, put in proper type of soil/gravel and compact it, and put in a couple layers of asphalt. They also have to carefully plan the drainage and landscape to make it work.

You get, and possibly regret, what you pay, or don't pay, for.

I recently got an estimate for 600'+ of driveway, a couple of culverts, an large apron in front of a 3 car garage, another apron in front of an outbuilding, a 60' spur going to a second house entrance, and a 80' spur for trailer parking. The estimate was $60K+. I plan to get some necessary work done soon and the rest done in 5 years or so. Splitting it increased the cost a little bit.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:30 AM   #8
Little Bear

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I realize 17 years was a long time ago but would you mind sharing the cost if you remember?
I believe it was around $80k, not including paving.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:40 AM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
I'm actually surprised that one needs a permit for a driveway since an actual structure isn't being erected......
This town does require a driveway permit. All has to do with street drainage - water run off - rain and snow. Piping under driveway with specific type/size of pipes.

If this is a state maintained road. Another ball of wax in permits.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:49 AM   #10
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I just had my gravel driveway (not at the lake) paved a few weeks ago. $4500 for 1114 square feet. That included all prep work and removal of the gravel and wood beams. It looks beautiful.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Ours is being done next month by Porter. I am on the road and will check square footage when I get home, but it is approx 9800 square feet- $22000 Reclaimed and paved is $22K.

To have the cracks fixed and sealed it was close to 4K- there are a lot of cracks!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-22-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I just bought an 10 wheeler load of ledge pack, $550. At 8" thick it covered about 1000 sq ft.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
This town does require a driveway permit. All has to do with street drainage - water run off - rain and snow. Piping under driveway with specific type/size of pipes.

If this is a state maintained road. Another ball of wax in permits.
In Gilford I was having my driveway paved a few years ago. The first 20 feet in from the street was fine but the rest was going to be paved. I went to the DPW get a permit and they told me I didn't need one since the new paving was not abutting a town road.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #14
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
In Gilford I was having my driveway paved a few years ago. The first 20 feet in from the street was fine but the rest was going to be paved. I went to the DPW get a permit and they told me I didn't need one since the new paving was not abutting a town road.
Do you need a permit to pave your driveway in your town ?