Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
GTO

Default moss on roof

I know that a few years ago there was a thread on how to remove moss from a roof. Everything from Mixed bleach and water, Zinc strips, to power washing was mentioned. Was wondering if anyone else has some new tips that they have tried. I have an A-fram roof so it is very steep. The roof is only 5 years old and one side (half of the roof) is covered in moss.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Default After you remove the moss

You might not like this advice or should I say, some might not but you need to remove some trees to keep that moss off. 5 years is a very short time to to reap a moss harvest. I assume that the shade on that side is probably from evergreen trees because decidious trees should let enough sun for drying when the leaves come down.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

X2 on SiK's advice. This is a case of needing to solve the root of the problem.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
ArborTech

Default Trees shading roof

Many of the tree jobs I have encountered around the lake and everywhere for that matter have to do with an over abundance of shade. The moisture linked with the yearly shed on needles or leaves, leads to a moss issue. Some situations can be solved through means of pruning while other instances require removal of trees.
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
trfour

Post Absolutetly

Back in 1992, one of the very first projects that we had to deal with was replacing the entire roof at the Camp on Paugus Bay!... Shade is very cooling, although can set up for an expensive alternative... Most of us love our tree's!
Some however need to be trimmed, or even taken down essentially to promote a further inhabitance. The Camp was high on a hill above PB with a natural breeze that never required any expensive A/C, and never took away from the natural power grid from our State... " Doo' we have electricity "? http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=9113

Moss teaches us more, however appreciated, by those of us that have grown to Love!...

By all Means, add to this, if you will.
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
ApS

Question Zinc and Wait...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The roof is only 5 years old and one side (half of the roof) is covered in moss.
I had a moss problem like yours, but a tenant swept it off with a broom. (Yes, a tenant ). The moss was slowly coming back after three years, although the affected side had been cleared of trees for a new McMansion.

That side faces the warm West sun, and the very dark color of the original shingles might have encouraged the growth of moss: we are surrounded by all manner of trees.

Our new shingles are a lighter color, though not the white color I specified. I would've tried Zinc-strips next, but the roof got damaged from windstorm debris this winter.

In the meantime, we'll just wait and watch.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Geneva Point

I use a product called Wet and Forget. It's a spray and works on everything at my camp. Shingles, pavement, wood, and cloth/canvas. I heard about it on Paul Parent's garden club a few years ago. Here's their site:

http://www.wetandforget.com/
Geneva Point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geneva Point For This Useful Post:
acanthus (06-01-2011), Grady223 (06-06-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (10-14-2011), Slickcraft (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArborTech View Post
Many of the tree jobs I have encountered around the lake and everywhere for that matter have to do with an over abundance of shade. The moisture linked with the yearly shed on needles or leaves, leads to a moss issue. Some situations can be solved through means of pruning while other instances require removal of trees.
Time and time again I advise friends/neighbors about trees too close to structure. But none heed.

One winter I was asked by a seasonal resident to find someone to remove a very large maple tree from roof of cottage. The insurance company paid $8,000 to owner.

Another just had a new shinkle roof on cottage and I advised to at least remove the branches that might hit roof. And that winter I get a call to see if I can remove branch and cover hole in roof. Brand new roof previous Summer.

You don't have to clear cut the trees. But use some common sense and remove the ones causing the moss.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
ArborTech

Default Well Put

That was well put. I have worked on a few occasions now, with homeowners who have been directed by their insurance companies to remove certain trees or be in jeporday of being dropped by their insurer. Trees are just like bushes or your lawn. Occasionally they need to be tended to. That may mean only some minor pruning or deadwood removal, but certainly something if they are in close proximity to a structure.
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Grady223

Default Roof Be Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva Point View Post
I use a product called Wet and Forget. It's a spray and works on everything at my camp. Shingles, pavement, wood, and cloth/canvas. I heard about it on Paul Parent's garden club a few years ago. Here's their site:

http://www.wetandforget.com/
Has anyone used Roof Be Clean? Which do you think is a better product. Wet & Forget seems to be environmentally safe, don't know about Roof Be Clean. It is made by the same people that make ZincShield & Liquid Zinc (which seem to be the long term solutions).

http://www.roofbeclean.com/page/page/853837.htm

http://www.zincshield.com/home.html
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Wet and Forget

After being suggested by Geneva Point I gave the product a try. We have some quarter size spots on lichen starting on the roof and many small spots of moss. About 10 days ago I sprayed 200 square feet of the roof and now all the lichen and moss in that area is dead.
I had picked-up a half gallon locally for $30, rather expensive even given that you dilute it 5:1 but it works. Today I ordered a full gallon at Amazon.com, $28 plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Forget-105...8080959&sr=1-1
Once all the lichen and moss is dead, I'll install zinc strips at the peak.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
After being suggested by Geneva Point I gave the product a try. We have some quarter size spots on lichen starting on the roof and many small spots of moss. About 10 days ago I sprayed 200 square feet of the roof and now all the lichen and moss in that area is dead.
I had picked-up a half gallon locally for $30, rather expensive even given that you dilute it 5:1 but it works. Today I ordered a full gallon at Amazon.com, $28 plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Forget-105...8080959&sr=1-1
Once all the lichen and moss is dead, I'll install zinc strips at the peak.
Sounds like a plan. You could spay every 2 years with Liquid Zinc and not bother with the strips.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
dayvsea

Slide some roll copper flashing under highest course above the area after you eradicate.. Water seeps down with bad news for the lichen...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvsea View Post
Slide some roll copper flashing under highest course above the area after you eradicate.. Water seeps down with bad news for the lichen...
My company has tried this on about a dozen garages as we didn't want to experiment on large homes and found over 7 years that this DOES NOT WORK and a waste of good money as copper is very expensive nowadays. Clearing the area for more sun lite also doesn't work as the moss just keeps coming back. Some shingle manufactures supposedly have come up with some type of a new ingredient that stops this condition.
Rattlesnake Gal (10-14-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
My company has tried this on about a dozen garages as we didn't want to experiment on large homes and found over 7 years that this DOES NOT WORK and a waste of good money as copper is very expensive nowadays. Clearing the area for more sun lite also doesn't work as the moss just keeps coming back. Some shingle manufactures supposedly have come up with some type of a new ingredient that stops this condition.
I believe that the ingredient is either copper or zinc granules depending on the manufacturer.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Default I'm not an expert but

Not sure why clearing the area of trees would not work unless there is almost no sun due to geographical exposure. All houses that had decent sun exposure would have moss if that were the case. I suspect that if were talking about removing existing moss and clearing trees and the problem comes back, I would think that the roof has little sun exposure along with remaining agae/moss inbedded that starts the process all over. The moss needs to be absolutely dead in my opinion by using something along the lines of bleach.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Not sure why clearing the area of trees would not work unless there is almost no sun due to geographical exposure.All houses that had decent sun exposure would have moss if that were the case.I suspect that if were talking about removing existing moss and clearing trees and the problem comes back,I would think that the roof has little sun exposure along with remaining agae/moss inbedded that starts the process all over.The moss needs to be absolutely dead in my opinion by using something along the lines of bleach.
As I reported earlier, the "Wet and Forget" killed both the lichen and the moss. Now after 3 months all of the dead lichen has washed off the roof and the remaining bits of moss in the groves are all dead. The product does not contain bleach but it sure killed to moss.
In our case clearing the area of trees is not a great option.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (10-13-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
RLW

Slickcraft, great looking location and can understand for not wanting to remove trees. Just keep doing what your doing as long as it works for you.
Slickcraft (10-12-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default Thanks

I have a few houses that I use a pressure washer on each spring to remove built up moss.
I hate doing this because each time I do this even though I turn down the pressure I still remove some material from the shingles. I will be ordering this and recommending it to the customer this spring.
Also it isn’t always an option to remove trees around ones camp or house. Personally I don’t understand why more camp owners do not go to metal roofs. I’ve never encountered a metal roof with a moss problem. Yet!
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
GsChinadoll

After reading these posts a few months ago, we went out and bought Wet It and Forget It. My husband sprayed it on the shed, the vinyl lattice work under the deck, on the roof of the porch and on the vinyl railings on our porches and all the green and mildew is gone from all areas sprayed! Thank you for the tip! It really works!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
Mirror Lake's BB

Thumbs up Wet & Forget and Spray & Forget

Both of these products work the same. In fact, they were in court a few years ago. One was suing the other over patent issues.

We had almost a carpet of moss on our garage roof. Sprayed it last fall. The moss was killed but not all of it fell off during the winter & spring. We just used a hose and sprayed off the remaining clumps this past summer.

You do have to be careful to protect shrubs around your house foundation. Just follow the directions and wet the shrubs before and after applying to the roof.

You can get it (Wet & Forget) at Costco in the spring as it is considered a 'seasonal' item. True Value, Ace, & Do it Best also carries one or the other product. It's a lot easier to find these days.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirror Lake's BB For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-13-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
CateP

Default Vinyl Siding

Would Wet and Forget be an appropriate product to remove mildew from vinyl siding?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Wet and Forget User Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Would Wet and Forget be an appropriate product to remove mildew from vinyl siding?
After reading GsChinadoll's post, I would say yes, it is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsChinadoll View Post
After reading these posts a few months ago, we went out and bought Wet It and Forget It. My husband sprayed it on the shed, the vinyl lattice work under the deck, on the roof of the porch and on the vinyl railings on our porches and all the green and mildew is gone from all areas sprayed! Thank you for the tip! It really works!
From Wet and Forget website:
Can Wet & Forget be used on any outside surface?
Absolutely, you can use Wet & Forget on any outside surface, including: Concrete Driveways and Walkways, Patios, Pool Surrounds, Asphalt Driveways, Fiberglass, Brick, Painted Textured Surfaces, Tombstones, Natural Stone, Ceramic Pots, Wood Decks, Composite Decks, Astro Turf, Tennis Courts, Canvas Awnings, Greenhouses, Boats, RV's, Gutters, Siding (Vinyl, Aluminum and Wood and Stucco) and Roofs (Asphalt and Fiberglass, Steel, Clay, Shake and Tile). Click here to read about Wet & Forget’s gentle cleaning process.
I think we need to pick up some of this Wet and Forget! Removing our trees is not really an option and it sounds like it might work on the algae on the walkways. Just wondering, is there an odor to it? If there is, how long did it stick around? I am super sensitive to chemicals and scents and have to be super conservative.

Geneva Point, thanks for the information on Wet and Forget. It sounds very promising!!!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Just wondering, is there an odor to it? If there is, how long did it stick around? I am super sensitive to chemicals and scents and have to be super conservative.
I don't recall an odor when using it. I have about a quart of the concentrate left in the gallon jug, just opened the cap and asked Ms Slickcraft about the odor. Her judgement: smells and looks like Windex, a mild odor right near the concentrate.

It did get rid of the moss and lichen on the walk way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (10-19-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #25
GTO

Default wet and forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
After reading GsChinadoll's post, I would say yes, it is appropriate.

From Wet and Forget website:
Can Wet & Forget be used on any outside surface?
Absolutely, you can use Wet & Forget on any outside surface, including: Concrete Driveways and Walkways, Patios, Pool Surrounds, Asphalt Driveways, Fiberglass, Brick, Painted Textured Surfaces, Tombstones, Natural Stone, Ceramic Pots, Wood Decks, Composite Decks, Astro Turf, Tennis Courts, Canvas Awnings, Greenhouses, Boats, RV's, Gutters, Siding (Vinyl, Aluminum and Wood and Stucco) and Roofs (Asphalt and Fiberglass, Steel, Clay, Shake and Tile). Click here to read about Wet & Forget’s gentle cleaning process.
I think we need to pick up some of this Wet and Forget! Removing our trees is not really an option and it sounds like it might work on the algae on the walkways. Just wondering, is there an odor to it? If there is, how long did it stick around? I am super sensitive to chemicals and scents and have to be super conservative.

Geneva Point, thanks for the information on Wet and Forget. It sounds very promising!!!

First of all, let me reply to this thread because I am actually the one that started it. I bought Wet & Forget at Heaths shortly after I got the advice here. Sprayed it on the entire side of the roof with a garden pump sprayer. It wasn't pretty with me at the top of the ladder trying to get along the peak of my A-frame. Anyways, after a week or so you could see the green moss turning brown and then after a few weeks, noticed it coming down into the gutters. I should have put a second spray on in August as suggested but never got around to it. All in all, it did a great job.
RG, there is no odor but follow the precautions on the bottle.
Rattlesnake Gal (10-19-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #26
Rolie

Default pet friendly?

Is it pet friendly if used on decks or walks?
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Safe for Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie View Post
Is it pet friendly if used on decks or walks?
From the Wet & Forget FAQ page:

Will Wet & Forget affect my pets?

Not under normal circumstances. However, after application, keep your pets off the surface until it is dry to ensure they don't ingest any of the Wet & Forget. If they accidentally walk in the treated area while wet, rinse your pet's paws with fresh water as a precaution. Wet & Forget is safe for pets if it rains after the dry time.

Is Wet and Forget safe to use around my pets?

We’ve gotten numerous inquiries from some of you who are ready to apply Wet & Forget but want to know if it’s at all harmful to your pets. Here’s your answer!

You only need to keep pets off the surface during the time it takes Wet & Forget to dry, which is between 4 and 5 hours. Once the drying time has elapsed, both people and pets are free to walk on the surface that was sprayed with Wet & Forget. It is also safe for people and pets to be on the treated surface after subsequent rainfalls.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Rolie (10-19-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #28
uglyduck

Default Heavy Moss on my lawn

How do I get rid of heavy moss on my lawn?
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Same problem at my house.Your soil is acid heavy and needs application of lime.If its as bad as mine it really needs to be removed and reseeded.Our own forum member Lawn Psycho would be the guy to answer that one.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
Merrymeeting

I have always been told it is a pH problem too. But I've had my lawn tested and the pH is fine. But I still have moss. Sunlight and moisture have something to do with it. But waiting to hear from our resident lawn expert.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote