Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Major

Angry Metrocast

I hate Metrocast! The one day that I have to work from home, I am without internet service. Thankfully, I have a MiFi card, but it's a lot slower.

Question: Has anyone heard when Metrocast is going to restore cable, internet and landline services?

Frustrating!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Woodsy

Here is the update from their FB page... Metrocast NH

https://www.facebook.com/MetroCastNH/

1:15 PM: MetroCast continues repair to damaged network facilities affecting customers in our Belmont service area.

Affected communities presently include: DEERFIELD, BARNSTEAD, BELMONT, BRIDGEWATER, ALEXANDRIA, BRISTOL, CENTER BARNSTEAD, CENTER HARBOR, EPSOM, FRANKLIN, GILMANTON, HEBRON, LACONIA, GILFORD, MEREDITH, NEW HAMPTON, NORTHWOOD, PITTSFIELD, SANBORNTON, NORTHFIELD, TILTON, ALTON, ALTON BAY, GILMANTON IRON WORKS, NEW DURHAM, STRAFFORD (portion only), and WOLFEBORO.

Due to storm conditions and resulting damage, MetroCast was given limited access to the damage site until trees, downed poles and wires could be cleared by other affected parties and safe access could be provided to MetroCast crews. MetroCast has subsequently gained access to the site and we are now in the process of fiber splicing which is necessary to restore services. We will provide future updates this afternoon as work progresses, and we thank you for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Woodsy
Major (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
GTO

Default cable out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I hate Metrocast! The one day that I have to work from home, I am without internet service. Thankfully, I have a MiFi card, but it's a lot slower.

Question: Has anyone heard when Metrocast is going to restore cable, internet and landline services?

Frustrating!
Really, I'm surprised it went out during one of the worst blizzards we've seen around here in a while. Some areas saw winds that reached category 1 hurricane minimal winds, and the cable went out? Trees were down in a lot of places, poles and wires were down....are you sure cable went out? And if it really did, they should have had crews out during the worst of the storm fixing it. Maybe they didn't know you would be working from home
camp guy (03-17-2017), chipj29 (03-16-2017), jeffk (03-15-2017), Music Man (03-17-2017), rander7823 (03-16-2017), SAB1 (03-15-2017), Slickcraft (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Phantom

Based on my cams coming back online -- looks like Gilford got its Metrocast up and running at about 3:45p this afternoon

Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
jeffk

Just came back up a little while ago in Center Harbor.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
gokart-mozart

Default Metrocast Still Out

Last update from them was 10:00 pm - lots of good news for the West side of the Lake. Said they would be working all night.

Wolfeboro still out, at least East of town, no phone, no internet, no TV at 8:27 am today.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Chubbs

Are there any updates for Wolfeboro? Going up tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks..
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
Redbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Here is the update from their FB page... Metrocast NH

https://www.facebook.com/MetroCastNH/

1:15 PM: MetroCast continues repair to damaged network facilities affecting customers in our Belmont service area.

Affected communities presently include: DEERFIELD, BARNSTEAD, BELMONT, BRIDGEWATER, ALEXANDRIA, BRISTOL, CENTER BARNSTEAD, CENTER HARBOR, EPSOM, FRANKLIN, GILMANTON, HEBRON, LACONIA, GILFORD, MEREDITH, NEW HAMPTON, NORTHWOOD, PITTSFIELD, SANBORNTON, NORTHFIELD, TILTON, ALTON, ALTON BAY, GILMANTON IRON WORKS, NEW DURHAM, STRAFFORD (portion only), and WOLFEBORO.

Due to storm conditions and resulting damage, MetroCast was given limited access to the damage site until trees, downed poles and wires could be cleared by other affected parties and safe access could be provided to MetroCast crews. MetroCast has subsequently gained access to the site and we are now in the process of fiber splicing which is necessary to restore services. We will provide future updates this afternoon as work progresses, and we thank you for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Woodsy
hahah metrocast "fiber splicing which is necessary to restore services" they must be talking about a torn shirt, we all know they send data via carrier pigeon

The only company in the world that can make Comcast look good
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
C Tucker

My husband stopped in the Metrocast office today. We are still without Internet in Epsom. Apparently the optic fiber hub in Gilmanton was heavily damaged in a microburst. Much of the equipment needs replacement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Music Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Are there any updates for Wolfeboro? Going up tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks..
Wolfeboro cable came back on this morning. Library never went down.
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
camp guy

Default Metrocast

Ok, full-disclosure: I don't work for Metrocast, and don't know anyone who does. That having been said, I think Metrocast did a great job. I agree with GTO. I have spoken with many people who have described the storm damage in their area, and this was a serious storm, by all measures. Sure, lots of people were inconvenienced, but what about when there is a brown-out in the heat of the summer, that is an inconvenience, too, but nobody squawks.

Before Metrocast can do any repairs, other damage must be repaired to insure safety.

I solved my problem easily - I read a book.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
Phantom

Camp Guy .......... I have not been one to "bash" Metrocast" but from someone who deals with moving "mission critical" data around for 3/4 of my professional life -- I sit here in shock that there was no "redundancy" built into the system and I am not talking about within the building. It is a very basic - 101 topology issue.

I deal with the likes of Century Link, Charter, Cox, Verizon, AT&T on a daily basis .... a substation getting "wiped out" is ( or should be) in the topology plan !

Old 03-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Taz

Default Metrocast

I agree with all that Metrocast is not responsible for the issues from Stella, this was a bad storm, Major is being ridiculous in his complaint, Cable lost
3/14, back 3/15. Having said that, Metrocast is the worst cable company I have dealt with. I have had much better experience with Comcast/Xfinity, Time Warner in the past. When I moved to the lakes the tech hooking up Metrocast cable commented I would miss Comcast and he was right.

Metrocast way too expensive compared to what I now have with Time Warner in Bartlett and what I had with Comcast before moving to the Lakes Region and for the same exact services. Comcast would schedule right away in 1-2 days and accommodate your schedule after work when service is needed and then credit your account for your inconvenience. Metrocast will only schedule during my work hours and it could weeks out and no consideration for credit on the bill. They are rude as many have said. Woman in the Belmont office was cutting doilies one day while some were waiting for service, no lie! I get next tier up from expanded basic in Bartlett for $34 less than what I get for expanded basic in Gilford with Metrocast.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Camp Guy .......... I have not been one to "bash" Metrocast" but from someone who deals with moving "mission critical" data around for 3/4 of my professional life -- I sit here in shock that there was no "redundancy" built into the system and I am not talking about within the building. It is a very basic - 101 topology issue.

I deal with the likes of Century Link, Charter, Cox, Verizon, AT&T on a daily basis .... a substation getting "wiped out" is ( or should be) in the topology plan ! .
I am just curious: What "redundancy" would you like to see built in and how would you go about it?

It is just my opinion but when a situation like this storm occurs there is little anyone can do to speed things up.

When there are multiple poles and trees down with live wires on top of the cable wires there is no easy or quick fix. There may be not one, but several breaks in the cables that need to be repaired just to get your service back.

In addition to that, the power and cable crews are dealing with the same obstructed roads that the emergency vehicles are encountering before they can even get to the problem. Throw in weather which sometimes precludes any work being done until the storm subsides and it makes for long delays.

I am no fan of Metrocast, especially the pricing, but in these situations people have to be patient.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
Phantom

Again -- I haven't been following this thread in detail ....

I thought I read that the sub-station in Gilmanton (which I really thought was in Belmont, which I have actually toured) got knocked out. That is the point of redundancy in the topology that I am referring to.

I COMPLETELY understand lines down in multiple locations -- but that does not knock out the entire area i.e. multiple towns.

This issue is/was far beyond trees down

Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #16
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Again -- I haven't been following this thread in detail ....

I thought I read that the sub-station in Gilmanton (which I really thought was in Belmont, which I have actually toured) got knocked out. That is the point of redundancy in the topology that I am referring to.
Please do not suggest to metrocast that they have backup equipment standing by just in case one gets knocked out. I pay enough already for their service.
Slickcraft (03-17-2017), trfour (03-20-2017), upthesaukee (03-17-2017)