Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Grant

Default One-Way Auto Rental in Lakes Region

Hey All,

After 50 years of riding and driving to/from the Lake, I am in a position on one of my upcoming trips where I have to drive up and leave a car up there. To return home, I was hoping to rent a car one-way and drive back to Pennsylvania (see, I can't make a trip to the Lake without dive gear...).

Anyway, while this sounds good on paper, the reality is proving otherwise. It seems none of the agencies rent one-way from anywhere other than Manchester, and even then it's at an outrageous rate (close to $200 per day and upward).

Any insights or experience greatly appreciated. I was looking to pick it up in the area on a Saturday (any time) and drive back Monday, returning it in PA on Tuesday morning.

This should not be impossible.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
fatlazyless

The Concord Trailways bus costs about 20 dollars for a one way ticket from the New Hampton Subway sandwich store at Exit 23 to get down to north station in Boston, and it makes the run twice every day and takes about 2 1/2 hours. Boston must have a number of different car rental businesses plus it has the MBTA trolley to get to Logan Airport and a number of car rental spots. Just bring along a couple dollars worth of quarters for the trolley.

To get to the New Hampton subway, you could always hitch hike by holding up a sign that says New Hampton-Exit 23-$9.95!, and you will definitely get a ride or two.....plus let the ride keep the nickel change. You'll probably get picked up by an 80-something year old driving a big old Lincoln or something like that.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-25-2011 at 06:10 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Grant (05-26-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Grant, I have tried to make trips similar and have been totally frustrared. To rent a car one way car at an airport requires one to part with an arm. a leg, or both. Seriously, you could try to hook up with a Forum member returning to Phila. or even cosider paying a private party to drive you there. I know there were people in Wolfeboro who used to do this several years ago but I don't know if they still do. We do have some Phila. friends who will be here at various times in the near future and will keep you in mind.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Grant (05-26-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
GM doc

Default not impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hey All,

After 50 years of riding and driving to/from the Lake, I am in a position on one of my upcoming trips where I have to drive up and leave a car up there. To return home, I was hoping to rent a car one-way and drive back to Pennsylvania (see, I can't make a trip to the Lake without dive gear...).

Anyway, while this sounds good on paper, the reality is proving otherwise. It seems none of the agencies rent one-way from anywhere other than Manchester, and even then it's at an outrageous rate (close to $200 per day and upward).

Any insights or experience greatly appreciated. I was looking to pick it up in the area on a Saturday (any time) and drive back Monday, returning it in PA on Tuesday morning.

This should not be impossible.

You have answered YOUR OWN question. not cheap, but "possible"
Rental companys have done "that" (one way driving) for YEARS.
Suck it up or just put the trip on hold until you have transportation.
A NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Grant, I have tried to make trips similar and have been totally frustrared. To rent a car one way car at an airport requires one to part with an arm. a leg, or both. Seriously, you could try to hook up with a Forum member returning to Phila. or even cosider paying a private party to drive you there. I know there were people in Wolfeboro who used to do this several years ago but I don't know if they still do. We do have some Phila. friends who will be here at various times in the near future and will keep you in mind.
Thanks - I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it's impossible/impractical to do the rental thing...especially after finding that I can fly (through the air! at high speeds!) for a whopping $39. The sticking point is my bulky, heavy, cumbersome dive equipment. However (here comes a plug), with Southwest Airlines, BAGS FLY FREE. So all I need to solve is the tank issue (they aren't as easy to lug & fly with). So I may just rent them from DW or break down and buy a new one to leave up there until I return later in the month. I could just leave ALL the gear up there, and it would only mean sacrificing one potential dive weekend...

I really am over-thinking this...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM doc View Post
You have answered YOUR OWN question. not cheap, but "possible"
Rental companys have done "that" (one way driving) for YEARS.
Suck it up or just put the trip on hold until you have transportation.
A NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Sucking it up' and changing dates are not options...hence the question. And not a no-brainer - that's why I asked. You know, like when you don't know something and seek the advice of people who might know something? It's one of the really truly nifty features of these new-fangled interwebs forum things...sometimes you post a question and get genuinely helpful information. I've seen it happen!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

How about a little more info Grant.Where do you have to get to in Pa?Is it possible to fly back and be picked up in Pa?There is bus sservice from Laconia to Tilton and then on to Boston I believe or maybe fly out of Manchester?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
How about a little more info Grant.Where do you have to get to in Pa?Is it possible to fly back and be picked up in Pa?There is bus sservice from Laconia to Tilton and then on to Boston I believe or maybe fly out of Manchester?
Thanks. I found a $39 flight, which pretty much trumps any other option. I think I'll just leave the dive gear up there and forego a few splashes down here between trips. After all, there are new schools of rock bass to be found!

After doing a similar trip just yesterday (drove daughter up to Boston area, left her the car, took a series of trains back to within walking distance of home), it seems that rail would be a great option if the area was still served by trains. When my grandfather was a kid, he and his brothers would take a train out of the Haverhill/Bradford area to Wolfeboro to go to Camp Wyanoke. That would be a pretty ride.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
AC2717

Hi Grant,
One option might be to hire a livery/car service (black car sedan) and have them take you to the rental car location where you can get to one way driving or even just to the airport to get home from that airport
IT would probably be around $100 or so including tip
THere are AMtrack locations in Concord, North Conway, and the like.
www.amtrak.com
have the car service take you to the train, and it would run from there down to boston and them from boston out
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
ghfromaltonbay

Default Bus from Concord to Boston

Amtrak has bus service from Concord to Boston where you can pick up the train to Phila. Check the Amtrak website. I have a friend who can't drive and she has friends drop her at the bus station in Concord and she takes the bus to the Boston train station and then another transfer to get to Malden, MA via public transportation. Seems to work out well for her.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 05-28-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: grammar
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote