Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
nvmbr9

Default Lake walking

I have a house in Alton. Love it there but havent been able to get up because my wife keeps scheduling the kids into this silly weekend stuff (cant go because my 6 yo has baskeball practice...WHAT?) Grrr.

Thinking of heading up myself. I love going for long walks out on the ice. Is the lake pretty well frozen solid. Can I walk out onto the broads without worrying? Notice that the top of Alton Bay is last to freeze...so might steer clear of that...but is the area out in front of that gigantic house frozen hard?
nvmbr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Coolbreeze

Your best bet is to check with the local conditions and fishermen first before wandering out. Try to get someone to go with you (preferably and adult). Let someone know what your plans are. Leave a note on your parked car regarding your name and departure etc. Take a cell phone that is charged and all the other safety tools discussed in previous forums. Remember to scope out your trail on the ice with binocs, when in doubt, don't go out.
Have fun.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Unless you have snowshoes or cross country skis, the snow is too deep for regular walking. You'll sink into this soft snow. Best bet is to walk on the paths left by snowmobile tracks....that works pretty good.

For thin ice anxiety, have a couple Sam Adams beers, and you'll be good to go...lol...just kidding. For thin ice anxiety, maybe a pfd, and two of those orange ice safety picks designed to claw yourself up and out of icy water, fast.

Apparently, ten inches+ of hard ice is enough for snowmobiles and atv's but not for cars & pickups. A snowmobile and driver & passenger can weigh up to 1000 lbs, and a car can weigh 4000 lbs.

The Meredith Police & Fire just got on track with two new snowmobiles, so's I expect to be seeing them, out & about the Meredith islands.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
dpg

Wouldn't do it alone, don't care if it's three feet thick.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default tiring!

I live about a half mile off the lake, outside Sandy Point, and can access the Lake. It is just over 1 1/2 miles from where I access the lake to the boat ramp at the end of Alton Bay. That would make about a two mile walk (on snowshoes) to get to the parking lot.

Once the lake is snow covered, it is almost impossible to just walk out there. As FLL says you will sink in and will become tiring in a very short distance.

With snow shoes or cross country skis, you can go along ok, but distances can be deceiving. We once got out on the lake and started heading out to Echo Point and were walking and walking and walking, and Echo Point seemed to be no closer. It almost had the appearance of us being on a treadmill .

You can also have some very slushy snow next to the ice, which can soak into boots and cause some very wet, cold feet. Bottom line is be careful, stay on snow mobile tracks, dress in layers, and be very careful. Make sure you are on your way back before you start to get tired!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Make sure you are on your way back before you start to get tired!
That is Excellent advice
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
kayakn

No matter how thick the ice is, always take precautions. I lost my Golden 6 years ago this coming Feb 8th. It was Fishing Derby weekend and there was 3 feet of ice and tons of people! We walked out to Rattlesnake and back. She just happened to find a spot that was crusted over but had a water flow underneath from two bubblers about 400-500 feet apart and around a point from each other. Did not find her until late in the evening, too late. No one ever saw her go through. Did I ever think the area was unsafe? No! Now, my current Golden does not go out on the ice at all.

I have also pulled a dear friend out of the ice over 20 years ago as we were skating. He fell through and I did not. Pulled him out by crawling on the ice to the point where he fell through. Then splashing lake water on me to freeze my jacket to the ice to get traction. Pulled him up as far as I could, peeled my jacket off and started the same process over again. You know to this day, each and every time we see each other, He thanks me! He would have died! And I am no hero. Just did what I had to do. That year, the ice in this area had been frozen for 3 weeks.

I will never forget either day! And they happened within 1/2 mile of each other. I look at both spots every day!

I do still venture out there. And we have our own version of Winter Classic on Winni. But, I am soooo careful. So be careful out there....
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
trfour

Default kayakn's prompting....

Please be Safe out there; http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html

I could not keep my Golden out of the Lake. Summer, winter, spring and autumn.... I am lucky, as Max is alive and well, this day!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
nvmbr9

Default where were you?

Just curious. Sad about your dog. I can't imagine losing mine. My dog and I did long walks last winter. Snow wasn't an issue despite there being about 5' around my house. We would walk out from Brickyard cove out around that gigantic mansion the race track guy has. Never did I sense any danger. It was mid Feb.

I watched to lake freeze this year at various points. I noticed that the last place to freeze generally is the top of Alton Bay, where it joins the broads. Were you walking from Alton to Rattlesnake?

I am cautious when I approach shore near bubblers, or around strange formations on the ice, or around the big pressure fractures. I grew up around lake erie and used to walk out on that lake in winter. You want to talk about pressure fractures...they were 10 feet tall.

Of course if there is snow I wear snowshoes or skis. But near me, the wind usually blows the snow off...which is why I have large amounts of snow even when there isn't that much snow as the prevailing wind is onto my shore.

Last year I walked out with kids and everyone had fun. We even put a radio controlled car onto the ice and it was so smooth that the car could go forever at high speed.

I have a pretty high danger antenna, especially when it involves my children, and I sensed none. That said, when alone I walk with a climbing axe ...essentially a small pick axe...that I would claw my way out were I to go in.

The main danger I've heard of are in warm ups...where the snow melts and can form pools under the ice into which you can fall. A friend's father fell into one up to his waist once. Cold. But it's not like breaking through into the lake.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
nvmbr9

Default 20 years ago

Just curiuous how old you were when you rescued your friend.

When I think about the lack of judgement I had as a teenager. Years ago in Ohio the creek behind my house would serve as my personal skating rink. I would strap on my skates, and by myself sometimes skate for miles. When the ice got thin, I remember my solution was to skate fast. I would build up a head of steam and go as fast as I could over it. Sometimess you would watch the ice buckle and I thought it was funny. Then I would skate to a lake to which the stream connected, and if the wind was strong put out my hands and have it blow me across the lake. Then I would be too tired and I would call someone to pick me up.

If I had ever fallen through the ice, I would have been on my own...miles from help. Stupid. That was one of just many stupid things I did, and I was relatively cautious compared to my friends and brothers. Its amazing any red blooded male survives from 15 to 25. A lot don't now that I think about it. Its why they send this age group to war. We are fearless, and rather stupid.

It should be the opposite. Now I'm almost 50...made my mark...if I fell through and died well...sad but can't say I haven't lived. But as we creep up we get more and more and more cautious. My father....one of the bravest men ever...turned into a bit of a wimp before he died in his 80s. I see that a lot. It should be the opposite...what the hell do youhave to lose at that point. Not a bad way to go really...say, falling through the ice at 85.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
kayakn

20 years ago I was 27. I have been a registered nurse since 1983. We were not being stupid. Just too trusting of the ice. I would never venture alone on the ice, never have. These accidents were not some teenage non-thinking acts. And the friend I pulled out. God bless him as he is still alive at almost 87. Oh yeah, if you have not guessed, I'm female. Have 2 older brothers so I've seen what you are talking about with the younger males.

Was walking from mainland in West Alton out to the island. An area that I have grown up around.

I right now have a 20 year old son. Guess what. He & his friends have not venture out on the ice beyond our "cleared ice arena". Not saying that one should not. It is loads of fun on the ice. But, you cannot take anything for granted. Tha day my dog went through was beautiful, low 30's, almost no wind, and a big beautiful deeb blue sky. Tons of people, snowmobiles and bob houses in the cove. Like a block party on the ice. I would have never thought something like losing her could happen in those conditions.

And I wonder why my heart races everytime I walk out there...

If you die while doing anything that you love, I would say that was a gift. We all have a time just no idea how or when. So, enjoy the present... and be safe on the ice this weekend. It is really windy out there right now.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
nvmbr9

Default ice at mouth of alton bay

Im new to area and no expert. But just looking at the lake freeze...it seems the top of alton bay is the last to go...so it must have currents etc. Would love to hear from lake expert. It seems like it should be as solid as anywhere else but why the last to freeze?

I walked out on the lake in front of my house. Honestly it is hard as a rock with no evidence anywhere of any weakness. yes we should apply common sense and i think i did. I did walk with my pick ax but i felt a little silly. I picked at it and it is hard hard hard hard. It was like antarctica. Blue sky wind about forty knots it felt. Cool. I love it

20 years ago I was 29. We are almost the same age. The 1950s is a good vintage.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmbr9 View Post
Im new to area and no expert. But just looking at the lake freeze...it seems the top of alton bay is the last to go...so it must have currents etc. Would love to hear from lake expert. It seems like it should be as solid as anywhere else but why the last to freeze?

I walked out on the lake in front of my house. Honestly it is hard as a rock with no evidence anywhere of any weakness. yes we should apply common sense and i think i did. I did walk with my pick ax but i felt a little silly. I picked at it and it is hard hard hard hard. It was like antarctica. Blue sky wind about forty knots it felt. Cool. I love it

20 years ago I was 29. We are almost the same age. The 1950s is a good vintage.
You are doing the right thing by using something to check the conditions. Don't feel silly. By checking the ice until you feel 100% comfortable, you will learn a lot about the ever changing nature of the ice and gain confidence. Be cautious, but know when to be confident.

The ice is about as good as it gets right now. As the sun gets higher in the sky, the water around the rocks will start to get soft. As for last to freeze - I'm not an expert, but have a lot of ice checking experience. Places with lots of springs, narrow shallow areas, windy spots and big water seem to be the last to freeze. Late next month, you'll start finding slush under the snow, but on top of the ice. That's the beginning of the end, but its still safe for quite a while as long as you don't get mired in the slush.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow The wind

Quote:
I'm no expert but I'd guess it mostly the wind. Quite often the wind blows down the lake and ends up at the south end of the lake. Even a little wind, with all that fetch, will breakup the thin ice when it's forming. Alton bay down, where it flows out under the bridge, will freeze over fairly early in the season and is generally one of the last areas to go ice free.

But there's some variability in what freezes last from year to year. I remember a big hole that didn't freeze at all 2 or 3 years ago. That was off where the Samoset condos are. I'm not sure the area off the Weirs from that year either.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #15
ApS

Red face Young, Fearless, and Cccold...

Quote:
"...You can also have some very slushy snow next to the ice, which can soak into boots and cause some very wet, cold feet..."
That's something I experienced in more recent years.

Even a hundred feet from circulators, the ice will flex downwards under one's weight. Water will creep out on top of the ice—unnoticed below the snow cover—and soak your boots. I hadn't noticed my feet were getting even more cold and even more numb until a crowd of friends joined me at the same spot!

Quote:
"...Can I walk out onto the broads without worrying...?"
Worries? Absolutely no worries!

As a young teen, I ventured alone from Wolfeboro's Brewster Academy, across The Broads, around to Winter Harbor and back: a distance of 16 miles round-trip. Most memorable was the windless, sunny morning weather.

Without any wind, what impacted me most was the Big Lake's absolute silence. Except for the occasional thunder echoing off Rattlesnake Island from ice expansion, all I could hear was that crazy ringing in my own inner-ears!

As a footnote, I'd heard that Lake Winnipesaukee was unsuitable for ice boating and, with that trip, I realized why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...Best bet is to walk on the paths left by snowmobile tracks..."
At that time, there were no snowmobiles! I never saw nor heard another soul all day, even around the handful of bobhouses that were out.

Quote:
"...With snow shoes or cross country skis, you can go along ok, but distances can be deceiving...It almost had the appearance of us being on a treadmill..."
I only had downhill skis which, of course, worked the ankles too hard. Sixteen miles was too much of a hike on the ice, even for this youngster.

Worse though, was the weather: Although that winter had seen many days of sub-zero weather (including three consecutive days of -30°), I started my venture in bright sun and deep blue skies. When it came time to return, the sun disappeared—heavy clouds moved in—and the sweat I'd built up in the warm sun now started to over-chill me.

Quote:
"...When I think about the lack of judgment I had as a teenager...We are fearless, and rather stupid..."
Maybe I should have told someone how I intended to travel...and where I was going?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Irrigation Guy

Default water on the ice

Yesterday I rode my snowmobile from Salmon Meadow Cove to Wolfeboro to meet up and ride with a friend. On the way home, I rode from Winter Harbor through the Barbers Pole and into Moultonboro Bay. I noticed in many locations water under the snow. Just thought I'd mention it.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
TomC

Default i noticed that as well

I rode a lot of the lake y-day with my brother and we noticed several slushy spots near Little Bear Is, the graveyard, and -as mentioned - several spots in Moult Bay. We got on the lake by Spinaker Cove YC and left it at Ambrose Cove (Areys) on Trail 15.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
escaped from NJ

Default Walking to Little Bear from Harilla's

We plan to walk to our cottage on Little Bear on Saturday, Feb 14, leaving from Harilla's. Can anybody report on the conditions of the ice in that area? Sure would appreciate it.
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
trfour

Post escaped from NJ....

I would check back here often before you try. Lots of slush out on the Lake at this time, needs to freeze back up between now and the 14th. Could be hairy even so. I wish that I had more favorable news for you, but at this time I do not.
Stay safe.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaped from NJ View Post
We plan to walk to our cottage on Little Bear on Saturday, Feb 14, leaving from Harilla's. Can anybody report on the conditions of the ice in that area? Sure would appreciate it.
I think you will be fine. I'm a bit north of there but the conditions are almost good for walking today and its supposed to be in the teens tonight. The puddles that were everywhere yesterday are gone - back to ice. There is PLENTY of ice under that. You will appreciate having ice spikes on your boots. There is not much snow left on the ice. Lots of frozen ruts and bumps - but you won't be getting your boots wet.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
kayakn

Watched a full size SUV drive out to Rattlesnake this afternoon! That's right! They went very slowly. Ice as far as one can see. Some very hard crusts of snow. Good luck to all & have a great weekend!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
escaped from NJ

Default Had a great weekend!

Thanks for the feedback. We just got back from a great weekend on the lake. The walk from Harilla's to Little Bear was easy but would have been dangerous without the Yaktrax on as the ice was slick. Watched several cars drive back and forth from Harilla's all the way down the north side of Little Bear.
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Mike M.

Could someone please give me an update on the current snow depth in the Alton area? I'm thinking about taking a hike around some of the Islands tomorrow or this weekend and I need to know if snowshoes will be necessary. Thank you in advance!
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #24
kayakn

Would recommend snowshoes. Have not been out on the lake since last snow. Will venture out at some point tomorrow, weather cooperating with my snowshoes. It's still winter! Hopefully, not too much rain coming... Enjoy...