Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
PROPELLER

Default Exceptional Lobster Roll

This subject has come up on this forum before. I recently found the best lobster roll ever. The bad news is its in Conway NH. Its called Johnathons on the left side of route 16 just after the old Dexter shoe outlet. It had whole pieces of lobster meat, whole claws with just the right amount of mayo & nothing else. Not like other lobster rolls that taste like seafood salad from the supermarket & probably use langostinos so they can call it lobster salad. Can anyone suggest somewhere in the Winni area that serves a lobster roll like this. Now that I have had a lobster roll with whole, large pieces of lobster meat, I refuse to eat the ground up to mush lobster salad variety.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
This subject has come up on this forum before. I recently found the best lobster roll ever. The bad news is its in Conway NH. Its called Johnathons on the left side of route 16 just after the old Dexter shoe outlet. It had whole pieces of lobster meat, whole claws with just the right amount of mayo & nothing else. Not like other lobster rolls that taste like seafood salad from the supermarket & probably use langostinos so they can call it lobster salad. Can anyone suggest somewhere in the Winni area that serves a lobster roll like this. Now that I have had a lobster roll with whole, large pieces of lobster meat, I refuse to eat the ground up to mush lobster salad variety.

Propeller, I have a question? Have you ever had a lobster roll at Waldo Peppers at Weirs Beach? If not, try one and if you do not enjoy it, just tell Barbara to put it on my tab...... I will let her know that you will be in.

1187 Weirs Blvd.
Weirs Beach, NH. (603) 366-2150

Just look for the place with a Propeller, ( excuse me ), a whole airoplane, on the roof!

Enjoy!

PS.......Positive ID Required.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 07-20-2004 at 08:48 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
PROPELLER

Unless you can confirm for me that its filled with whole claws & whole chunks of lobster meat & not alot of extras & fillers. I'm not interested.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
trfour

Quote:
Unless you can confirm for me that its filled with whole claws & whole chunks of lobster meat & not alot of extras & fillers. I'm not interested.
Propeller, yes I confirm that , Whole claws & whole chunks of 100% tender lobster, served Traditional Style or Hot Butterd Style, and the best part is, $8.75 to Market, each!

Check out Woldo Peppers Menu at; www.waldopeppers.com

"All of the food served here is fresh and the Best!"

Enjoy!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 07-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #5
PROPELLER

Thank you, yes I will try it and its cheaper than the one I had at Johnathons.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
The Big Kahuna

Default Waldo Peppers

You have to try Waldo Peppers if you want the Lobster Roll, it is large and in charge. Just about everything else there is great as well. They have soft serve ice cream as well.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:36 AM   #7
Lexxi

Thumbs up "To Die For"

Trust what you are hearing, Waldo Peppers is the best around.
Thru out the year we take rides to the lake just to have lunch with Barbara and the crew they make you feel like you are coming home.

Just ask Barbara about her Lobster Roll she has been know to say "It's To Die For" !!!!!

Happy Summer !!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
lakegirl

Talking

I might be in the dark here..... but I dont know the owner of Waldo Peppers....but somehow over the winter I made my way to Waldo Peppers and the sandwiches were great!!!! Seems to me that you are little paranoid Fat Jack!!! Lets give Waldo's the credit they deserve!!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
Lexxi

Default Friends ????

Okay, we are not going to go thru this all over again.

You use the word "FRIENDS" well that is what you become dining at Waldo's, they make everyone feel like they have just come home.

Well, we all have different taste and opinions, but we all don't get nasty about it.

My one comment is about Sawyers is, "NO COMMENT".

See how nice I was !!!!!!!

Enjoy your day FAT JACK, try being nice it makes a person feel really good about themselves. And another thing, smile, it makes people wonder what you have been up to.......
Old 07-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #10
funinthesun

First I want to say that I do frequent Waldo Pepper's and they do have great sandwiches. However, I was very disappointed with the lobster roll. It was mostly bread with a few pieces of lobster. It was not a filling sandwich for the hungry which was surprising as the rest of their food is more than one could eat and I always have left overs.
funinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
obie

I've tried the lobster roll at Waldo Peppers, Tamarack, Sawyers and others........Waldo has the best by far!!!!!!!!!!!! They are stuffed with nothing but REAL lobster meat.
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
PROPELLER

If the lobster pieces are ground up small & smothered in mayonaise, I will be disappointed. As I stated in the original post that started this thread, the best I ever had anywhere was at Johnathons in Conway 2 weeks ago. There were whole claws & chunks that were not ground up with very little mayonaise to disguise the taste. And there was plenty of it. I'm just looking for somewhere in the lakes area that serves this kind of lobster roll.

Now I am seeing different opinions on the Waldo lobster roll. How can there be so many differing opinions? Either it has whole chunks of lobster meat or its ground up. There is no in between.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
Lexxi

Default Chunks

Full of chunks, hope you enjoy it. Let us know.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jack
This whole string is a plant. I recognize who you all are from postings on other forums. You are all freinds and owners of Waldo's. You should be ashamed of yourself. I've had your lobster roll and it is really not very good. It pales in comparison to Sawyers. And if it was even half as good as you say, you would not have to resort to such underhandedness to trick people into trying it. Spend a few bucks and put an ad in the paper next time. I thought Don was smarter and did not allow games like this.
Post proof, or retract.

Their food is fine.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 PM   #15
Pepper

Default Dear Fat Jack

Dear Fat Jack, I hate to burst your bubble here, but we had nothing to do with this thread's origination, nor it's content. My husband and I are the owners of Waldo Peppers. Of all the people who have posted in this thread, I can identify only two - they are TRFour, and Lexxi. I know them because they are regular customers at Waldos, who have introduced themselves to us over the past year. All the other persons who've posted in this thread are unknown to us. Nuff said on that matter. Now about the Lobster roll we serve, here's the skinny: Our lobster is constructed of EXACTLY ONE QUARTER OF A POUND of PURE Lobster meat - Knuckles, Claws and Legs. The meat is not ground up, it is in chunks. If you choose the traditional style lobster roll it will contain approximately one half ounce of mayonnaise. If you choose the hot buttered style, it will be smothered in approximately one ounce of drawn butter. Either way it will be served on a grilled frankfurter roll, with a tiny nest of shredded lettuce inside (this is done to keep the lobster from sticking to the bread, for those who never knew why the're served that way). If you prefer not to have any lettuce, simply ask for it without lettuce, and we'll cheerfully provide it to you that way. We charge $8.75 for either style. Do the math on that - One pound of Lobster Meat, Claws knuckles and legs at the grocery store is currently $24.00. We're giving a quarter pound serving at a price lower than most places selling "Lobster Salad" rolls. We charge these low prices because we do ABSOLUTELY NO advertising. That's why you don't see us plastered all over the newspapers - and what we're not spending on advertising, we don't have to overcharge our customers to compensate! We certainly hope this clears up any confusion or questions. Anyone wishing further information is more than welcome to call us, or visit our website, or simply stop by. We have nothing to hide, and that's the fact, Jack.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:08 AM   #16
Skip

Smile Scrumptious!

Wow Pepper,

I'm sold, you definitely have my mouth watering!

We will definintely make the trip to 'Peppers soon.

And nope, never have met you or had the opportunity to dine at your establishment, but looking forward to same.

We'll make sure to say hi when we pop by for our rolls,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:58 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default My 2 Cents

Fat Jack,I've seen many of your previous posts and agree with many of them.....I'm with ya,buddy,on bike week and bass boats.I think you called this one wrong,though,and I'll tell you why.
No business in their right mind would try to salt down a thread in this forum because it can come right back to bite you.Sure,a few friends pump you up and then any competitor,their friends and family can just come in and TRASH you.Waldo's doesn't need to do that....the food is great and it's a fun place to go.
I understand why you might have thought so....I remember one of the local Hotels doing that last year and they paid the price.The webmaster caught on that all the positive threads were coming from owners and management and they were totally busted.
Hey,we're all wrong once in a while.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #18
lacey

Great post Sam! I too love Waldo's but not only their lobster roll which is by far the best on the lake. All their food is great in both quality and quantity. I have been to Sawyers once, and once was way more than enough for me. I prefer fresh tasting food that is not over cooked, but hey, that's just me.
lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:56 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default Waldo Peppers excellent food

Waldo Peppers is the best. Not only for there lobster roll either.
Great job keep up the good work.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:51 PM   #20
Mr. V

Hey, where else can you get a decent cheese steak at the Lake, eh?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #21
PROPELLER

I tried the traditional lobster roll at Waldo Peppers Friday night & I was not disappointed. I would return for another & have already recommended it to friends. However, just to be fair the lobster roll I raved about in my first post was better (sorry Pepper). Johnathans lobster roll had more lobster and the chunks were bigger but it did cost more so I'd call it pretty even.

I'd also like to praise Waldo Peppers for the great ribs my wife ordered. They were tender & tasty, the fries were very good also. The service was better than average & the woman at the counter even walked around to ask how everyones food was when she had a free moment. When have you ever experienced that at a sandwhich shop. One final note, the restroom was very clean, a good indication that the kitchen is also clean.

P.S. I am not friends with anyone associated with Waldo Peppers. I tried it solely based on the posts in this forum.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:11 AM   #22
Newbiesaukee

Tried Waldo Pepper's yesterday solely because of this forum. The traditional lobster roll was as good as advertised and an excellent value. The staff was pleasant and helpful even during the busy lunch hour. The cleanliness and small touches indicate that the owners/managers take pride in their work. All in all, a very positive experience.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #23
lfm

We stayed at Channel Cottages across the street from Waldo Peppers last week. Tried the lobster roll (hot buttered style) and it was great. Their other sandwiches were delicious as was the pizza.

I have to add that the staff was extremely friendly and courteous.

Good work Pepper!
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #24
Belmont Resident

The person who comes out to ask how things are is usually Mrs. Pepper.
Don't piss her off, she is a red head....
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #25
Just Sold

Exclamation Lobster!!!!!!

Next time we are up, W/O rain, we will definitely drop over to Waldo's and try the Lobster Roll for me and a burger for the Mrs.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #26
trfour

Thumbs up

Quote:
I tried the traditional lobster roll at Waldo Peppers Friday night & I was not disappointed. I would return for another & have already recommended it to friends. However, just to be fair the lobster roll I raved about in my first post was better (sorry Pepper). Johnathans lobster roll had more lobster and the chunks were bigger but it did cost more so I'd call it pretty even.

I'd also like to praise Waldo Peppers for the great ribs my wife ordered. They were tender & tasty, the fries were very good also. The service was better than average & the woman at the counter even walked around to ask how everyones food was when she had a free moment. When have you ever experienced that at a sandwhich shop. One final note, the restroom was very clean, a good indication that the kitchen is also clean.

P.S. I am not friends with anyone associated with Waldo Peppers. I tried it solely based on the posts in this forum.
Thanks for being honest, Propeller. I knew that you would not be disappointed.
The next time that I am in Conway, don't know when, I will check out Johnathans. Thanks to your post, everyone has more opptions on, Exceptional Lobster Roll!

Last edited by trfour; 07-28-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #27
robjnh

Default Another vote for Waldos

Ate there today with the family and loved the Lobster Roll. Even my wife who hates ALL seafood said WOW that looks great. Rest of the family had a great meal as well. Uur meals were ever brought outside to us and we asked twice how everthing was and if we needed anything. Not your typical take out place.
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #28
jrc

Default docking for Waldos Peppers

How tolerant is PK Zyla's, if you dock there and run across the street to Waldo Peppers. Their signs seem threatening, but their dock is always empty.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #29
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
How tolerant is PK Zyla's, if you dock there and run across the street to Waldo Peppers. Their signs seem threatening, but their dock is always empty.
jrc, I would suggest parking at the public dock at the beach. It's a very short St_Roll from there.............

Enjoy!

Old 08-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #30
SIKSUKR

How about buying something at PK Zylas and if you called ahead then run across the street for something to go?Is that pushing it a little bit?Maybe buy something at PK's and ask if you could run across the street to grab something else real quick would be a better idea. SS
Old 08-03-2004, 08:37 AM   #31
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour
jrc, I would suggest parking at the public dock at the beach. It's a very short St_Roll from there.............

Enjoy!
That's what I do now, but I'm fat and lazy and the Zyla's dock is tempting. I'm not going to do, I'm just tempted.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #32
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Waldo's Lobsta Roll

Had the hot buttered lobster roll at Waldo’s today and it was just delicious! I can’t wait to go back for another. If you have never tried a lobster roll served in this manner, you should. You're in for a real treat. It is now my favorite way to have it.
It was wonderful to meet Pepper. She is a wonderful hostess and makes you feel quite welcome. Hope to stop by again soon!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:03 AM   #33
dpg

O.K. so getting away from food for just a minute...What's the story behind the plane anyway
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:10 PM   #34
RI Swamp Yankee

Default one more opinion

Based on comments here a long time back I have tried the lobster roll at both Waldo's and Sawyer's. I thought both were great and I can't decide which I like better. Lobster was chopped not mashed, just enough lettuce for some crunch, just enough mayo to hold it together without detracting from the lobster served on a just grilled buttered hot dog roll. Both were just the way I like them. I will be in Conway next week and plan at least one day trip to Weirs area. If I gain 10 pounds from pigging out on lobster rolls I will have to blame this forum.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #35
Pepper

Default De Plane, De Plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
O.K. so getting away from food for just a minute...What's the story behind the plane anyway
The plane belongs to a very dear friend. Some years ago it was leased by a flight school in Mass. A student at the controls had a bit of a close encounter on the runway, causing quite a bit of damage to the right wing, and fuselage, and breaking some of the windows. After that mishap, the plane sat for a number of years in our friend's garage. Once an aircraft has been involved in any kind of crash it is considered "cursed" and no one really wants to fly it! We proposed stripping the plane of it's engine and electronics, and suspending it, pilotless, in flight. He loved the idea, and we loved the opportunity to expand upon our aviation theme! And that, my dear is the story of the airplane.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #36
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Waldo Pepper Plane - and another plane at the Weirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
The plane belongs to a very dear friend. ...
Waldo Peppers has a plane but NOT airplane food. My family calls it boat food because they love to get things from Waldo Peppers to bring on the boat. I'll sure be back there for more great food (and the people are nice too).

Picture of the plane atop Waldo Peppers

Not to be confused with this plane around the corner at Weirs Water Slide:

Grant or Winnie Divers, any planes below the surface of the lake?

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by webmaster; 12-04-2005 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Made picture links work - Thanks McDude
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:01 PM   #37
Island Girl

Thumbs up #1 Lobster Roll - Waldo Peppers

Well, I never thought I was going to be making the rounds for lobster rolls this year but that is what I have inadvertently done because all of you keep talking about them.

Today, my sister and I along with Don Hughes and his lovely wife Peg ventured to Waldo Peppers for lunch. I had been prepared to get a cold lobster roll until Rattlesnake Gal whet my appetite for the Hot Buttered one.

Our order was taken by a friendly person who described both rolls for us, making the choice even more difficult..... so I got one of each; one to eat and one to share.

Once Don identified our group to Pepper we got a wonderful greeting from her and she sat with us for a while (we were in the pre-lunch time group). We had a wonderful time with her.

The three lobster eaters in the group were unanimous that both were out of this world. Having had the lobster roll in two other famous eateries in the area I can attest that Waldo Peppers is the best. the lobster was sweet and succulent. The roll was toasted in some way that was better that your average hot dog roll. There was just a touch of lettuce and lots and lots of chunks of meat. The hot buttered roll had melted butter all over it (not too much, not too little) mmmmmm.

Now that I am back out here on the island I wish I had gotten a couple to go for later.

Congratulations, Waldo Peppers. Great Food!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #38
GWC...

Cool Post #4 = free delivery service = true = ???

If the wording on the website is for real, never tried it, the public docks at the Weirs should qualify for delivery service - a six mile radius covers a lot of area.

P.S.- Hope the person who started this thread is happy that I'm drooling. Have eaten there several times and no complaints from my delicate constitution!
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:59 PM   #39
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

That would mean no delivery to Alton? I guess I'll have to stick with the lobster roll from Pop's Clam Shell which works for me....$9.95...with fries! ...and if you have never eaten in the adjacent Flipper Room you don't know what you are missing.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #40
DRH

Thumbs up WP Gets a "10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Congratulations, Waldo Peppers. Great Food!
IG's right, WP's lobster rolls were outstanding, and so was Peg's "Sausage Parmesan" sub. Pepper is a warm and friendly hostess, as well. A very nice place to go, and we'll definitely be back.
DRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:42 PM   #41
Pepper

Talking Today I met my Heroine!

Twice recently I've been honored to meet some of my "as yet unmet favorite posters" from this forum. Early this week I was treated to a visit with Rattlesnake Gal and her wonderful family! It was so nice to finally meet the person who's helped me so much with my garden, and with whom I've had so many wonderful online chats! I'm looking forward to the off-season, when I can resume computer time during normal waking hours, so I can chat with her some more! Then today, I was blessed with another visit - this time from Island Girl, her sister, and Don and Peg Hughes. You could have knocked me over with a feather! IG has been a source of inspiration for me for a long time! Her inner strength and courage have inspired me to "keep the faith" when times are hard. Thank you, IG. Her photos, and Don's, along with TRFour's and Rattlesnake Gals, have long been favorites during my perusal of the photopost section. I'm tickled pink to now have personally met all four of these wonderful contributors to this forum! I feel honored that each of them have taken the time to visit, and priviledged to have met them. Since I won't be able to attend the forum gathering, it's wonderful to have folks drop in and introduce themselves - it's like a series of mini-forum-gatherings! Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again!

On another note, GWC, we deliver often to the Weirs Public Docks! Call ahead, and we'll meet you there!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #42
itchin for fishin

Thumbs up mmm mmm good!

We had a great lunch at Waldo Pepper's today. Had to bring my mother-in-law, (who only thought lobster rolls exisited at the beach) to WP's. Pepper, you hit a grand slam. Now that Mike's is gone, I'm gonna be calling you from the Weir's docks to munch a pizza some afternoon.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:10 PM   #43
Just Sold

Thumbs up Lobster!

Pepper

I had your Lobster Roll today and it meets and exceeds expectations. My son was with me and could not believe the portion size for a 1/2 turkey sub and he said it was great.

I was sorry that you were out when we were there around 2:30 but I left my business card for you.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #44
trfour

Default are you home? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
That would mean no delivery to Alton? I guess I'll have to stick with the lobster roll from Pop's Clam Shell which works for me....$9.95...with fries! ...and if you have never eaten in the adjacent Flipper Room you don't know what you are missing.
Hey Mcdude? do you have wheels?
I will come get you and bring you back home from Woldo Peppers, if you like.

P.S. "What are you doing on Earth Day?".............. Only kidding.............Only kidding!

if you can't post possitive here, on this thread, don't post at all!...............Just a message from my Mom and Dad.!

Last edited by trfour; 08-07-2004 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #45
Tir Na Nog

Default Had to try and was great!!

After reading this thread last week, I could not wait for the weekend and an opportunity to judge WP's Lobster Rolls for myself. Went there by boat from Wolfeboro Saturday and first was pleasantly surprised by the lack of boat traffic at the Town docks for a Saturday at about 12:30. Our luck held out when we walked to WP's as well as we seemed to get in there just before the crowd. My son had the hot buttered with fries and cole slaw and I had the regular. (I thought I had ordered hot buttered for both and when I mentioned that, the woman who had brought them out to us asked if I wanted to send it back. Because I had debated with myself for an hour before hand as to which I would get, I decided I did not want to chance it being wasted and kept it.) Both were great. I got a taste of my son's. Also, the woman taking the orders (I expect one of the owners) came out after we were done to make sure we enjoyed them. I want to try the ribs others spoke well of, but not sure I will do anything but the Lobster Rolls , buttered next time, which I hope will be soon. Thanks all for the debate and a great suggestion.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:39 AM   #46
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Waldo Peppers - Good food AND they deliver

Waldo Peppers - it isn't the convenience type store that used to be at that location. It's a restaurant. The food is very good, the price is quite reasonable and they understand custom orders. A few weeks ago I was there with a friend. My friend is a self confessed lobster roll connoisseur. He loved the (traditional) lobster roll from Waldo Peppers.

Yes he did have a few "complaints". The lobster overflowed the roll (he had to eat some of it with a fork). He loved the buttered hot dog roll but thought that a larger roll with the same toasting and taste would hold all the lobster making for a better roll. Something about the warmth and taste of the hot buttered bread going along with the cool sweetness of the lobster. He reminds me of that guy Monk on the TV show. A bit obsessive compulsive. I told him to ask for it in a toasted sub roll next time. He said he would.

Pepper, I looked at Waldo Peppers web page (very nice site). You deliver within a 6 mile radius but there is no mention of a delivery charge. If I am at anchor by 3 mile Island (about 5 miles from Waldo Peppers) will you deliver ? How about places like the sandbar down in Paugus Bay near Margate (less than 3 miles). Sometimes we get hungry for HOT and fresh food while out at anchor (rather than eat something that's been in the refrigerator for some hours). Do you deliver by boat or is your 6 mile radius (as I suspect) a By Land Only service? What was it that famous guy said...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Revere
Food if by land none if by sea
In any event, if all goes well, I'll be 10-43 (in pursuit) of 10-14 (a meal) several times at Waldo Peppers over the next few weeks (eat in, take out or maybe delivery). Making meals and cleaning dishes is not a vacation (at least that's what my wife says). Pepper, are you getting the idea that I could be 10-37 (but with good taste )?

If you do deliver on the Lake I'll be standing on the bow of my boat rolling with the waves waiting for my food from Waldo Peppers .
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #47
Jan

Default Alton Bay Lobster Rolls

I haven't been to Waldo's yet but we were in Alton Bay today craving a lobster roll. I decided to get one at Pop's and one at Shibley's and report my findings here.

I tried Pop's first. I went to the window and asked the young boy if fresh Maine lobster was used. He barked to an older guy in the back "Where's the lobsta from" and he answered "Canada". I said "really?, thanks anyway". I don't know anything about Canadian lobster but I assume it's that Lagostino (sp?) stuff that they use at the Tamarack, yuck.

Next I walked over to the Shibley's stand and was greeted by a big smile and hello from a young asian girl. I asked her the same question and she proudly said that they only used fresh Maine lobster. We got one and I must say that it was one of the best I've ever had. Nice chunks of meat, not too much mayo and a perfectly toasted fresh roll. It even had the lettuce liner that Pepper explained was to keep the roll dry. The price was also very reasonable at about $7.50 for a roll and $9.50 for the combo meal with fries and slaw. The one problem was the cold slaw. It was soupy and loaded with mayo, yuck.

I still expect Waldo's roll to take the crown but when in Alton Shibley's roll is not bad, not bad at all.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #48
GWC...

Cool That's odd... Hey, McDude...

Is Pop's lobster real or memorex?

Quote:
I guess I'll have to stick with the lobster roll from Pop's Clam Shell which works for me....$9.95...with fries!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:11 AM   #49
Island Girl

Default Canada lobster is excellent

The lobster from Canada should not be the fake kind, it should be nice and sweet coming from such cold waters.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 08-13-2004, 05:08 PM   #50
trfour

Thumbs up I can attest to this, and you are right, IG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
The lobster from Canada should not be the fake kind, it should be nice and sweet coming from such cold waters.
My Mom was born in a little town called North River, in Saint Anns, Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island, Canada. We made many many trips into Sydney, over the years, to buy fresh lobsters, right off the lobster boats as they came back to port.

"The best lobsters in the world, tender and sweet, and it does have to do with the very cold waters of the North Atlantic".
Thank you, IG.

PS. After trying one of their lobster rolls ,.. never crossed my mind to ask Waldo or Pepper where the lobster came from!.....Good point,... "All that I can say is, They are Great!"..... and so are You!

Last edited by trfour; 08-15-2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Wanted to add, :) :) :) :) !
Old 08-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #51
mcdude

Quote:
...and if you have never eaten in the adjacent Flipper Room you don't know what you are missing.....
HEY LOOK! I'm quoting myself! What you missed completely GWC is that the lobstah roll must be enjoyed within (or on top on the deck) of the Flipper Room adjacent to Pop's. The ambiance of the total dining experience is important. It enhances the whole lobster roll experience. Woo! Hoo! Patriot's - 7 / Eagles - 0 ...2nd quarter...raining like h$@! cats and dogs....in Foxboro.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:34 PM   #52
trfour

Default just hoping that GWC........

Quote:
HEY LOOK! I'm quoting myself! What you missed completely GWC is that the lobstah roll must be enjoyed within (or on top on the deck) of the Flipper Room adjacent to Pop's. The ambiance of the total dining experience is important. It enhances the whole lobster roll experience. Woo! Hoo! Patriot's - 7 / Eagles - 0 ...2nd quarter...raining like h$@! cats and dogs....in Foxboro.
will be respectful of you, mcdude, when he steps up to the plate, on this matter.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:17 PM   #53
Outlaw

Took the M-in-law to Shibley's (not the stand but the restaurant). Now granted the lobster roll was indeed 100% real lobster, and it was a pound of meat, nicely prepared not too much mayo or anything on a nice ever so slightly toasted bun. But stick with what Jan had done - go to Shibley's stand across the street the price is soooooo much cheaper. The restaurant must have had to add $6.50 for the table we sat at, the chair we sat on and the lake we got to look at (no, I think the lake view was free now that I think of it). The restaurant is charging $14 bucks for a lobsta roll - excellent quality I might add, but get the one across the street at the stand and eat it on your boat or at the docks by the water.

I now MUST try WP's lobsta roll. I've tried pretty much everything else on their menu and have loved every last bite. The ribs -ohhhhhh to die for. The subs, ohhhh can't find a better tasting one on this side of the lake. I'm making myself hungry just writing about it and it's too late - they're closed now. Wonder what time in the morning they open??????
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #54
Island Girl

Default W.H. Pepper Knitting Mill - coincidence

Hey Pepper did you know there was a knitting mill in Lakeport in the late 1800's named W.H. Pepper? I believe your place is named for the character in the movie, but I thought this was quite a coincidence.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 08-16-2004, 08:39 PM   #55
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up Hot buttered Lobster Roll

Just returned from our vacation "up North" that included a day trip to Weirs area. I knew I wanted a Lobster roll from Waldo's for lunch and after hearing about the hot buttered lobster roll I had to try it. It was fantastic . Later in the week I tried the one from Jonathon's in North Conway that started this thread, by comparison it was good but not as good as Waldo's. I guess I was spoiled by that hot buttered one. I will be back (God willing and the creek don't rise). The few times I had been to Waldo's before I was always impressed by the warmth and friendliness of the young lady at the counter, she seemed like a real "Southern Belle". As I was leaving I introduced myself and found out "Pepper" is not from the South. No matter, her hospitality makes everyone feel welcome.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #56
Just Sold

Thumbs up MMMMMM Good

I stopped by WP's yesterday for what else but my first Hot Buttered Lobster Roll! I had the regular LR there before. It was excellent and that was echoed by my fishing buddy who was with me. The onion rings were excellent too!

I also got to meet Pepper. What a lovely person she is.

I will be back there soon I am sure.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:09 PM   #57
GWC...

Talking Guess who...

Are mcdude and trfour having fun?

Why all the confusion? How simple can life be?

Jan stated, "I tried Pop's first. I went to the window and asked the young boy if fresh Maine lobster was used. He barked to an older guy in the back "Where's the lobsta from" and he answered "Canada". I said "really?, thanks anyway". I don't know anything about Canadian lobster but I assume it's that Lagostino (sp?) stuff that they use at the Tamarack, yuck."

So, I (GWC) asked mcdude, "Is Pop's lobster real or memorex? "
It seemed a natural question because mcdude has eaten Pop's lobster roll or at least that's what I understood his post to mean when he stated, "That would mean no delivery to Alton? I guess I'll have to stick with the lobster roll from Pop's Clam Shell which works for me..."
Perhaps I should have used the word "imitation", instead of memorex.

Then IG stated, "The lobster from Canada should not be the fake kind, it should be nice and sweet coming from such cold waters."

Then the situation became a little crazy.

Cabin fever???
Old 08-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #58
trfour

Smile To GWC

Happy that you have read this entire thread!

I can not speak for macdude...... "Free delivery Six mile radius",...... And he is reluctant to come out and try anew?"..... maybe it's just me,.... I always drive, snowmobile, walk or ride to, Waldo Peppers..... They go obove and beyond for all of us and I as a very proud customer will do the same for them!
Thats all!

Last edited by trfour; 08-21-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:18 PM   #59
Newbiesaukee

The other day I needed a "Waldo's Roll" fix. Problem was my dog was with me. No problem, I cell-phoned from the parking lot and my roll was cheerfully delivered carside. The dog and I shared..she felt it beat a hot dog ( sorry).. Anyway, personal delivery even if it was only to the parking lot.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #60
rander7823

Default Just visiting from CT

I brought my wife and three girls up to the Lake the week of the 15th and we stopped in based on this forum. Let we tell you the lobster roll was fantastic both my wife and I enjoyed them tremedously. Being from the CT shoreline we have had our share of lobster rolls,this was one of the best, and made up for the awful weather.
But better still was the rest of the food. The should be a warning about the size of the portions. The large cheese fries could have fed the entire family, the cheeseburger scared my 6 year old it was so big. The cheese steak was one of the best I have had since my college days when we used to go to Pat's and Jim's in Philly from Lehigh Univ.
The best part was the friendly service and cleanliness of the restaurant. We took the take out menu and will be back next year.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:20 AM   #61
glennsteely

Default good food

i am from new jersey and was a summer hound on the big lake my whole life. i was just up for a week in the beginning of the month and lobster is my specialty....when i was younger, the tamarack was the place for rolls, now that i am older i tend to go further in pursuit of a meal. i had 2 from the tamarack, 2 from saywers and 3 from the plane roofed building, every one was GOOD! and i use good in the purest sense of the word...my point is, lobster is lobster if you are from new jersey,,,and it is all GOOD! mmmmmmm! i saw a comment about pats steaks in philly and i want to tell you, you have not tried a steak unless it was from lous steaks on south street. my trip as always was great, but thanks to the lobster roll stops, all of them, also georges diner in meredith, maimes, also in meredith and a new place we tried this time, new to us anyway, strawberries or the strawberry patch (not sure of the name) in wolfeboro, great food and fast service, if in the area try the pecan pancakes man oh man......
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 AM   #62
abay

Thanks to this forum, I had to try the Waldo Peppers lobster roll. I've been coming up to the lake for many years, and never been to eat at Waldo Peppers, but promise to become a regular.

Wonderful!!!
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #63
phoenix

Default waldo's

in from the southwest and went immediately to waldo's for lobster roll and the verdict is "A"
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #64
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour
I can not speak for macdude...... "Free delivery Six mile radius",...... And he is reluctant to come out and try anew?"..... maybe it's just me,....
I have "come out and tried anew"!!!! Lobstah roll was to die for. Who says I am not adventurous? I also bestow an "A".
Old 09-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #65
trfour

Smile Thanks, Mcdude, your off the hook

Quote:
I have "come out and tried anew"!!!! Lobstah roll was to die for. Who says I am not adventurous? I also bestow an "A".
Thats a lot better,... I can foregive you now

Happy to hear that you enjoyed Waldo Pepper's, as most of the rest of us do!

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:31 PM   #66
phoenix

Default lobster roll

my wife and i visited Waldo's one last time before we head back to Phoenix for the winter. we had one cold and one hot but more important we had a great conversation with pepper great food great company see you in the spring
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #67
Pepper

Default I enjoyed your visit too!

Thank you, Phoenix. I enjoyed your visit as much as you did! It's always a delight to meet so many wonderful folks from this forum! Have a wonderful winter, and I look forward to seeing you again in the spring! Be sure to bring the hot weather back with you!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:07 AM   #68
tricia1218

Talked me into it! I will try the lobster roll at Waldo's soon.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote