Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Marketplace
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Wanted - Used Utility Trailer

I've been trying to find a used 5X8 utility trailer similar to the one below. So far no luck. I've been to Tractor Supply but they only have new, expensive ones.

Does anyone have suggestions on where I might find a used one in the Lakes Region, southern NH or Mass? Are there any dealers who have used utility trailers?
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I would try HK Sports, they have used items and also obviously Craigslist and EBay
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
jbolty

My experience with used trailers is that they hold their value, sell for about as much as a new one and almost always need new tires anyway so add another $150 or so to the cost.
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Scott_In_NH

Default Trailer

Hi
How about this one on craigs list?
https://nh.craigslist.org/tro/d/whit...846362879.html

Sm
Scott_In_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Kamper

Harbor freight has 4X8 kits if you can get away with that size.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_In_NH View Post
Hi
How about this one on craigs list?
https://nh.craigslist.org/tro/d/whit...846362879.html

Sm
That is just what I was looking for but they are asking $1000. The one in the picture I posted is $949 new at Tractor Supply and 150 miles closer to home.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone at work told me the trailers at Tractor Supply are on sale occasionally. Unless something pops up it may be best to wait for the sale and get a brand new one (with brand new tires!).
Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
tummyman

Tractor Supply has the same trailer except mesh floor for $799. Find s senior and I think they get 20% on last Tuesday of a month. Wait until July 4th and they give 15% off to all veterans. You'll need to verify....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Go to Tractor Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
That is just what I was looking for but they are asking $1000. The one in the picture I posted is $949 new at Tractor Supply and 150 miles closer to home.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone at work told me the trailers at Tractor Supply are on sale occasionally. Unless something pops up it may be best to wait for the sale and get a brand new one (with brand new tires!).
Go to Tractor Supply and look for imperfections on the trailers. I was at the one on 9/202/4 in Chichester. I was looking at a 4x6, no ramp, black. Paint was peeling on both fenders. We went back and forth for a little bit and he ended up coming down from $449 to $399. I took it. Only problem is the trailer lights really stink; short out and come back on, stay off for a couple of trips and then work fine for a day. I'm going to replace the lights.

Dave
Old 03-26-2019, 05:34 AM   #9
ApS

Wink I Sell a Lot of Stuff on Craigslist—and Have Been Known to "Get Reasonable"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
My experience with used trailers is that they hold their value, sell for about as much as a new one and almost always need new tires anyway so add another $150 or so to the cost.
Depends.

1) Trailers stored (or used) near salt can rust to destruction. I inquired what my neighbor was going to do with his "used-up" Continental boat trailer, and was told it was going to the dump. (Which would cost him money). I volunteered to manually drag it off his property and try to sell it. I sold it within a week for $75. I asked what the new owner was going to do with this awful trailer with bad tires. He said he needed to move his boat (nearby, in a canal) across the street!

OK—made sense!

2) A rusty trailer came with a sailboat, which I towed 2000 miles to my Wolfeboro property—where the single axle broke in half. I sold that trailer to a knowledgeable buyer for $100 in 1993.

Quote:
That is just what I was looking for but they are asking $1000. The one in the picture I posted is $949 new at Tractor Supply and 150 miles closer to home. Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone at work told me the trailers at Tractor Supply are on sale occasionally. Unless something pops up it may be best to wait for the sale and get a brand new one (with brand new tires!).
Tires sold with new trailers are often not very good quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfVmnnRkjE

I'd ask that CL seller what year his tires are. (Probably won't know, but they also might be two new $150 tires).

Ask if he'd deliver it (150 miles) for $100. (If desperate, maybe he would, as he's now got two trailers crowding his space).

But maybe not, as the tires may be original—cracked, cupped, and leaky.

If you don't need his many specialized accessories—which are making that trailer expensive—let him keep them, and make an offer...depending on his answers. Yours may be his only offer in weeks. Call back after two weeks—by then, he may have come around to your way of thinking.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Today's craigslist, farm & garden section, w/ 7-photos, has a used utility trailer, 11'6" length, in Mont Vernon NH, selling for $200.

Probably a fixer-upper, maybe needs new tires & rims, paint and other Walmart stuff. You know if it actually makes it from Mont Vernon, where ever that is, to the Walmart, that it is a winner used trailer. If it breaks down, then you got yourself a problemo ....

Last November, for $150, I bought a very small used trailer from someone on Paradise Drive in Moultonborough, and it's the greatest purchase I ever made in my entire life ..... a fixer-upper needing new tires and rims and other stuff ......using it to haul leafs and pine needles and tree limbs to the transfer station ...... and other uses ...... and NO, I will not lend it out to anyone, so's don't bother asking! It is locked to a big tree!
Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #11
Flyfisha

Default Trailer

Webmaster. Sent you a pm and not sure it went through. I have a used 5x8 utility trailer for sale. $650. Contact me if interested or for details. I am selling this because I just bought a brand new dump trailer
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #12
8gv

My 4'x7' trailer from Tractor Supply review...

So far it has been hauled all over New England and also on a round trip to Albuquerque NM loaded with about 700 pounds.

The tires still look new.

The wheel bearings have never been warm or loose.

The floor was mesh but I installed a sheet of 3/4" P.T. plywood over that.

The tail lights failed early and were replaced with submersible LED lights.

My experience with the same LED lights on my boat trailers taight me to seal where the wires enter the back of the light cases with silicone RTV sealant.

I also replaced the plastic license plate bracket with an aluminum one. Utility trailers are often backed into curbs. The aluminum bracket can be bent back. The original plastic one can snap off leaving you plateless.

My only real gripe about this trailer is the ramp.

It is captive.

I would prefer the ramp to be removable but the hinges are welded in such a way as to prevent that.

The trailer was on sale in the spring.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #13
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisha View Post
Webmaster. Sent you a pm and not sure it went through. I have a used 5x8 utility trailer for sale. $650. Contact me if interested or for details. I am selling this because I just bought a brand new dump trailer
I just replied to your PM. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Go to Tractor Supply and look for imperfections on the trailers. I was at the one on 9/202/4 in Chichester. I was looking at a 4x6, no ramp, black. Paint was peeling on both fenders. We went back and forth for a little bit and he ended up coming down from $449 to $399. I took it. Only problem is the trailer lights really stink; short out and come back on, stay off for a couple of trips and then work fine for a day. I'm going to replace the lights.

Dave
put these on both my trailers. tough, bright and not very expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Trailer...dp/B00MDO0WNG/
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #15
Rusty

Quote:

Carry-On Trailer TSC Exclusive 5 ft. x 8 ft. Open Mesh-Floor Utility Trailer
marked down at Tractor Supply.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ntent=Tile%201
Old 03-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
My only real gripe about this trailer is the ramp.

It is captive.

I would prefer the ramp to be removable but the hinges are welded in such a way as to prevent that......
That is the way the Carry-On trailers are made. When I got mine at TSC a few years ago ($500 - sale), I had a welder flip one of the hinges so both faced the same way and thus made the ramp removable. I also had him raise both hinges 3/4", so that I could lay the ramp down flat over the PT plywood I installed over the mesh. That makes it quieter when traveling without a load. You can find a Utube video describing that modification.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
That is the way the Carry-On trailers are made. When I got mine at TSC a few years ago ($500 - sale), I had a welder flip one of the hinges so both faced the same way and thus made the ramp removable. I also had him raise both hinges 3/4", so that I could lay the ramp down flat over the PT plywood I installed over the mesh. That makes it quieter when traveling without a load. You can find a Utube video describing that modification.
These are actions I have had on my procrastination list for a while.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #18
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Carry-On Trailer TSC Exclusive 5 ft. x 8 ft. Open Mesh-Floor Utility Trailer
marked down at Tractor Supply.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ntent=Tile%201
At $699 for the 5x8', or at $599 for the smaller sized 4x7' trailer, these would be a lot safer for going longer distances, driving the interstate highways, than a fixer-upper $100-200 used trailer. Things happen fast when something goes wrong with a trailer at 70-mph.

They are brand new, have new everything, tires, rims, bearings, lights, plus an all steel, welded frame, and probably have to meet the federal safety rules. Having larger tires and lights that work is probably a big plus too, as opposed to the smaller 8" rims and lights that don't work on an oldie moldy, used fixer-upper trailer.

By the way, TAV Electronics and cell phone repair, www.tavelectronics.com, across from the Plymouth police station, about one mile north off Route 93-Exit 26 has U-Haul trailers and vans and pickups ..... and for $15/day(last October) has a small utility trailer designed with a hold down slot for a motorcycle.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #19
webmaster

I agree FLL but I really want a wood floor and the trailer won't ever go on the highway. My town dump is about 2 miles from my house and the trailer will only go back and forth between those two points carrying yard waste and branches. If I was going to go longer distances I would just get a new one.

One of our forum members contacted me and has a used trailer that is just what I wanted. I'll probably buy it and pick it up soon.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #20
swnoel

I think you'll find buying a new one will ultimately be your best bet, but if you're patient you may find something. I was looking for a dump trailer a few years ago and waited nearly 2 years before I realized the only way I was going to get one was to buy new. The used ones were almost as expensive as new!!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #21
ls6corvette

Default OP... still looking for a trailer?

Howdy. I have a single axle elec brake trailer I was using when I had my SUV. Since getting a truck last year, I no longer need the trailer. If you are still looking, I can upload some pics.
Thanks.
ls6corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #22
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6corvette View Post
Howdy. I have a single axle elec brake trailer I was using when I had my SUV. Since getting a truck last year, I no longer need the trailer. If you are still looking, I can upload some pics.
Thanks but I bought the one from Flyfisha. It's great and has already made several dump runs.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #23
ApS

Wink No Wood FLoor, But...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2019-06-19