Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Has anyone eaten at the replacement to the Boathouse Grille?

I think it's supposed to be an Italian place now and they're moving the Boathouse Grill over to the new hotel.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
throttleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
I think it's supposed to be an Italian place now and they're moving the Boathouse Grill over to the new hotel.
The new restaurant is called Lago and it has a really nice atmosphere. I dined there a few months ago. They replaced the booths and knocked out the back wall of the bar so it has more of an open feeling.

The food was of above-average quality compared to other restaurants in the area, yet slightly overpriced--just like the former Boathouse and some other C-man establishments. I enjoyed my meal, but I wasn't completely blown away or exhuberantly impressed. A little disclaimer--I'm Italian, I've been to Italy, and I spent about 10 years working in some really nice restaurants and have dined in some of the finest restaurants across the country, so I tend to be overly critical and it takes a lot to knock my socks off. Anyways, it seemed as though they took their standard Boathouse Grille entrees and added some more garlic, used tomato sauce instead of a typical stock based gravy on meats, and gave you a side of pasta instead of the standard rice/potato. I was expecting a taste of Italy, but instead got American Bistro with a side of Italian. I will say that I did enjoy the vast array of appetizers and salads. We tried the Caesar, Gnocchi and Calamari--the dishes were good.

Lago is certainly worth a visit with friends especially for the convenient location and great views of the water. I guess that's how they can justify their prices. You will have a decent meal there, so it is worth the visit--but bring the checkbook. I will be returning soon to sample other offerings on their menu. Anyways, I would recommend Lago for atmosphere, but in terms of value and quality of food--the C-Man's Italian Farm House in Plymouth offers more of a traditional style Italian menu with delicious offerings for much less $$$$.

Last edited by throttleman; 04-07-2004 at 02:21 PM.
throttleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
B R

Default boathouse brunch?

does anyone know if they will have those infamous brunches on Sunday's? we're on year four of a yearly motherday trek to the boathouse for the best brunch on the lake.

thanks
B R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Dining at Lago

My husband and I have been to Lago, but probably will not return. We both think the food is fair, and since it is all ala carte, the prices are way too high for this area. Especially if you compare it to The Common Man (right up Rt 3 in Ashland) or the other C-man restaurants. We are waiting to see what occurs when Church Cove is finished. Allegedly, The Boathouse Grille will be reincarnated under a new name, but hopefully, with a similar menu ... and the same great Sunday brunch.

All the folks we've spoken with about Lago (even employees at Common Man) are less than happy with it.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
throttleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R
does anyone know if they will have those infamous brunches on Sunday's? we're on year four of a yearly motherday trek to the boathouse for the best brunch on the lake.
Sunday brunch is offered at Lago.
throttleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Drummer Boy

The new restaurant that will be opening up at the Inn at Church Point will be called the Lake House,. This is the restaurant that will be replacing the old Boat House Grill.
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:01 AM   #7
Mink Islander

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. It often takes a while to iron out the wrinkles when a new restauarant opens -- even under experienced management. Hopefully, they'll catch stride by summer.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Lightbulb Sunday Brunch Choices?

We've gone to Love's Quay in the past but they're closed. What are some other choices for a good Sunday Brunch?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
Fancy

Default Adirondack chairs??

Does anyone know if they are still going to have the chairs and service outside on the water's edge? Thanks.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote