Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Automobile Insurance

My local automobile insurance with State Farm just went up 19%. It is a corporate rate and not based on my driving record. My record is clean. I have been with state farm for almost 30 years. I would have had to pay them $1500.00 a year. I just changed insurance companies and for the same coverage I am now paying $600.00 annually. That is a substantial savings!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
AC2717

all those discounts companies show on TV and what not are just ploys to get you to call them. When all they do is bring you down to normal rates
Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
My local automobile insurance with State Farm just went up 19%. It is a corporate rate and not based on my driving record. My record is clean. I have been with state farm for almost 30 years. I would have had to pay them $1500.00 a year. I just changed insurance companies and for the same coverage I am now paying $600.00 annually. That is a substantial savings!!!
The exact same coverage?

Of course some insurance companies just don't care.

I tried Amica recently and they wanted $2,500.00. So Amica just doesn't care.

I go through a local agent - as all is easier for me.
Some of the large ones that advertise on TV may offer a lower rate.
I have received in the mail a couple of times over the years a free gift card just to compare. And both times I did this - the difference was less then $12.00.

For me, anyway, I go to my local auto body shop and ask him the names of the auto insurance companies that are better for him to work with. And of course, the quality of any repairs - if I ever need such.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
AC2717

90% of the time using an independent agent far outweighs a direct writer, plus the agent knows what coverage you should have, vs. you trying to pick them, and if they don't you have recourse against them. Plus you have someone to fight for you with a claim

Direct writers in the Northeast are the worst, they are not used to our frugalness and knowledge.

sorry independent agent on his soap box stepping off now
Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
CentHarb_Ray

As said above an independent agent will find you the best rate. I had State Farm on a home policy for many years when they suddenly jacked my rate 40% a few years back. Had only one claim with them and that was 10 years previously.

I use Concord Group now for both home & auto.

CHR
CentHarb_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
8gv

Clark Howard, a consumer advisor on the radio, said that some insurance companies use software designed to measure a customer's propensity to change companies. With those companies, loyalty is punished via higher rates.

I have been with Met Life for decades. That doesn't seem to keep my rates reasonable. When I move to NH from CT later this year I hope to find a lower cost company.

My daughter has already moved and changed companies. Her new policy is with State Farm. It was significantly cheaper than the other companies she checked.

Maybe they will hit her hard with an increase next cycle. If so, she will shop again!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
90% of the time using an independent agent far outweighs a direct writer, plus the agent knows what coverage you should have, vs. you trying to pick them, and if they don't you have recourse against them. Plus you have someone to fight for you with a claim

Direct writers in the Northeast are the worst, they are not used to our frugalness and knowledge.

sorry independent agent on his soap box stepping off now
I checked with a local independent agent and the quote was extremely high!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Clark Howard, a consumer advisor on the radio, said that some insurance companies use software designed to measure a customer's propensity to change companies. With those companies, loyalty is punished via higher rates.

I have been with Met Life for decades. That doesn't seem to keep my rates reasonable. When I move to NH from CT later this year I hope to find a lower cost company.

My daughter has already moved and changed companies. Her new policy is with State Farm. It was significantly cheaper than the other companies she checked.

Maybe they will hit her hard with an increase next cycle. If so, she will shop again!
Two years ago I moved from CT to NH and switched from Liberty Mutual to an independent (Cross). My car insurance was cut in half. Also I was converting two houses to rentals. Believe or not the quotes I got from Cross was 60% lower than LM. I had been with LM for 15+ years but never shopped them until the move...I'm glad I did.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have found a lot of times if you switch you get a better price. I think they just want to get your business. I hate to have to do it but I think you need to every once in a while.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Two years ago I moved from CT to NH and switched from Liberty Mutual to an independent (Cross). My car insurance was cut in half. Also I was converting two houses to rentals. Believe or not the quotes I got from Cross was 60% lower than LM. I had been with LM for 15+ years but never shopped them until the move...I'm glad I did.
I've used Cross for our businesses for many years.No complaints.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Different states have different rates.

If you are moving from another state to NH, ie; CT to NH, don't compare your insurance in CT to rates you may get in NH. If I am stating the obvious to you, please don't take offense. I used to receive regular phone calls for the reverse, leaving, for instance NH, and moving to CT and why did my insurance go up.

Back in my prior life as a Personal Lines Underwriter, I was responsible for underwriting in all 6 NE states. MA rates are pretty much set by the state, but out of the other 5, CT was significantly more expensive than any other state.

Doesn't help GBG (wow, big increase if across the board, which the NH Insurance commission or board would have to approve). State Farm would have to justify that kind of increase.

Bottom line, it can pay to shop.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default In NH

there are rates by county as well as by vehicle class, age even credit rating! As well as age and driving record. Really can't compare when you move from another area.

I switch from MetLife when I was in Mass to Hartford in NH, Melcher & Prescott of Laconia cut my insurance in half by transferring my auto to Mt Washington Assurance and home to Cambridge Mutual. It really pays to find an independent broker!

Also SUV / CRV class rates are very high! I switch to an AWD wagon for a huge saving. A wagon is a lot more fun and comfortable to drive than an SUV. And they are just as practical!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #13
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I checked with a local independent agent and the quote was extremely high!
keep checking, different agents have different carriers and different range of quotes they will do for a person. unfortunately it comes down to the person who takes your call and how far they are willing to go to get a quote for you
Old 06-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Another cause for a raise in premiums.

One of the premium rate classes is "over 65" drivers. When I was an underwriter and was rating policies, I never thought too much about increasing a policy premium because the driver turned 65. Actuarial studies showed these drivers to be more likely to have an accident.

Now that I have seen my premiums increase for this very reason, I wonder about the accuracy of those studies.

Are we another distracted driving generation, driving down the road eating our oatmeal, and taking our dentures out of the Polident, all the while reading the latest edition of AARP magazine.
mcdude (06-01-2015), trfour (06-01-2015)