Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default The foul fowl are back

The first geese of the season arrived on my lawn yesterday afternoon. The open water and grass are a welcome mat for the geese. In 6 weeks the chicks will be everywhere. It will be interesting to see how they react to drone attacks.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
MGWillia (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Oh no! They are back!! Do you have a drone?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Loud pipes

This is where we should have a season for loud pipes! Scare those poopers back to Canada!
Old 04-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
Chickie

Default The Seasons of NH

From snow season, to mud season, to poop season. Ya can't win!
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
SAB1

Yes, loud pipes with full chokes!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ITD (04-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

Yes tis, the drone is ready. I hope to get some good video but these drones are small and the wind can be a problem. Since I'd be flying close to the water I'd only risk it when the wind is light. Should be fun watching their reaction. If history repeats they will eventually ignore the drone like they do other deterants.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
tis

Will you share? Actually I am thinking of buying my own drone, though I know not a thing about them!!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Jersey Ed

Would it be possible to put a speaker on the drone and pipe sounds, such as a shot gun being fired or dogs barking as it was flown over the geese??
Jersey Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #9
Merrymeeting

PBFF, please don't take this as a troll comment, nor do I mean to start any rat holes about the pros/cons of lawns. But your initial post leads to the question...is changing/removing the lawn an option as that seems to be the #1 attraction for these pests?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Yes tis, the drone is ready. I hope to get some good video but these drones are small and the wind can be a problem. Since I'd be flying close to the water I'd only risk it when the wind is light. Should be fun watching their reaction. If history repeats they will eventually ignore the drone like they do other deterants.
Roman candles make a great backup plan.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
PBFF, please don't take this as a troll comment, nor do I mean to start any rat holes about the pros/cons of lawns. But your initial post leads to the question...is changing/removing the lawn an option as that seems to be the #1 attraction for these pests?
No worries with the troll stuff. Good question as it IS the reason for the geese. Geese love freshly mown healthy grass. Our lawn is exactly what they love. As far as removing the lawn. NEVER! The family business is landscaping so there's kind of an obsession to keep the place 'landscaped'. Keeping a lawn plush and green through the year using only the fertilizer allowed is very difficult unless you put a lot of time into it. That being said, I have no room to complain about the geese. We set the table. It's mostly our fault they come. They don't hurt anybody, they just crap all over my lawn and walkways. I will never hurt them but I will harass them and try to keep them away.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Roman candles make a great backup plan.
Roman candles attached to drones would be better!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
tis

They take the easiest places first. My neighbor was bragging that they didn't bother him because he had almost no lawn and it is a little steep to climb up on. Well, guess what? They found him! They like to hang out on a beach too. I love my grass too and would never give it up. I would rather complain about the geese.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Here is some natural ideas that make sense.

http://www.wildgoosechasers.com/dete...-deterrent.php
Stabilize Shorelines

Geese are discouraged if access to water is difficult and includes a vegetative barrier. It is best to use a combination of deciduous, evergreen, and seasonal perennial color to provide an aesthetically pleasing yet effective landscape barrier or goose deterrent.

Canada Geese prefer a gentle, grassy slope coming out of the water that enables them to easily walk into and out of the water to feed or rest. This provides a clear line of vision to avoid would-be predators and provides them easy access to the water. If access to the water is poor, the adult geese may leave that area to raise their young elsewhere.

Rock barriers make good goose deterrents. To steepen the shoreline, build a vertical seawall 3 feet above the surface of the water or create a 63-degree angle from the water's edge. Then allowing vegetation to grow tall along this slope will help protect it from erosion and keep the geese from walking up.
Rock Barriers – Place boulders that measure two feet or more in diameter along the shoreline. This will deter geese that prefer walking out on banks that are bare and gently sloping. Using a vegetative barrier in combination with the rock barrier increases its effectiveness.

Vegetative barriers are also used as geese deterrents along shorelines. These vegetative buffers need to retain their mature height throughout the year and be 10’ wide to be effective. The tall, stiff-stemmed, native warm season grasses are an ideal plant for this purpose since they maintain an upright form and height throughout the winter. Keep in mind, if you mow this vegetation, you will have eliminated the barrier. Some mixtures of cool season grasses and legumes can also function as an effective “goose deterring” buffer strip.

Most reputable landscaping companies and custom seed establishment facilities are able to provide plant selection specific to the needs of the area needing to be modified. The objective is to create a solid buffer strip that establishes a physical barrier at the shoreline. A landscape professional can help you reach your objective taking into consideration other factors like cost, how long the plants will live and be effective, the surrounding environment and soil.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
Merrymeeting

Quote:
The family business is landscaping so there's kind of an obsession to keep the place 'landscaped'.
Sounds like an opportunity! Advertise yourself as the company that can show how to landscape in a way that is more natural to the area and keeps the geese away!

(PS: I do understand. Before selling our prior home, I was known to be obsessive about our lawn and proud to have one of the lushest ones in the area. But I have to say I'm now enjoying the idea of Springs free of fertilizing, liming, mowing, edging, etc)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
The first geese of the season arrived on my lawn yesterday afternoon. The open water and grass are a welcome mat for the geese. In 6 weeks the chicks will be everywhere. It will be interesting to see how they react to drone attacks.
The chicks can be very tasty. Pluck feathers, gut, dress with olive oil and rosemary, in the oven at 325 for 20-30 minutes.

I've found the eggs are only so-so for omelettes though.
ishoot308 (04-08-2015), PaugusBayFireFighter (04-08-2015), ronc4424 (04-10-2015), secondcurve (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
The chicks can be very tasty. Pluck feathers, gut, dress with olive oil and rosemary, in the oven at 325 for 20-30 minutes.

I've found the eggs are only so-so for omelettes though.
I thought the feds consider the geese off limits to hunting or killing?
It would be nice if our elected officers give us a geese season!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Sounds like an opportunity! Advertise yourself as the company that can show how to landscape in a way that is more natural to the area and keeps the geese away!

(PS: I do understand. Before selling our prior home, I was known to be obsessive about our lawn and proud to have one of the lushest ones in the area. But I have to say I'm now enjoying the idea of Springs free of fertilizing, liming, mowing, edging, etc)
Only problem is we are located in Waltham and only do commercial properties. A small crew is sent north a couple times a week to tend to the property. I'd be lying if I said I do anything to that lawn other than passing out on it.
If someone wanted to pay a landscaper to come 2-3 times a week I'm sure they could do what we do. Irrigation system is a MUST. Proper seeding is a MUST. Without proper watering and seeding, all the labor is wasted.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #19
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I thought the feds consider the geese off limits to hunting or killing?
It would be nice if our elected officers give us a geese season!
There is a Canada geese season, actually a couple seasons, but I think it should be expanded and the limits raised.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #20
dpg

It may be what your talking about when you say Drones but what about one of those nifty remote control helicopters? Their pretty nice and one you spend a couple bucks on really work well and have great control. Thinking you can chase them around from the comfort of your kitchen window if you wanted.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
Grant

Not sure what the F&G laws are re: damn geese, but one way to reduce the population explosion at this time of year is to paint the eggs with a vegetable oil. No oxygen = no development. The challenge is accessing the eggs without pi$$ing off mom & dad!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
bclaker

Default More Honkers

My wife and I had a late lunch at Patrick's Pub today and as we were getting in the car to leave, a flock of about 100 Canada's flew over going North, with a couple stragglers following.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #23
wifi

Oh, I heard the honking at Suissevale Beach today
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #24
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Oh, I heard the honking at Suissevale Beach today
If they remain, that will be the (sad) end to that as a swimming or lounging spot.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #25
Leoskeys

Default Slingshot

We picked up poop for 20 minutes today. We had pinwheels that worked for two weeks, not anymore! My nrighbor got a slingshot, see how that works!
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #26
Chickie

Default Necessity Is The Mother of Invention

Excuse me whilst I scrape the goose poo off my shoes. Wouldn'tcha think someone could invent an iRobot to pick up this stuff? The old conventional "stoop 'n scoop" method is so passe and laborious. If cleanup were made easier, it would make coexisting with these guys more bearable and a shrewd entrepreneur could acquire a substantial fortune overnight. Holding the patent to such a device would be akin to owning the goose that laid the golden eggs.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote