Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Snakes

Is anyone else noticing an abundance of snakes this season?

I've been out with the dog several times today, and each time we've encountered at least three snakes - never the same one twice. I'm not afraid of snakes (but Argie is... heehee.) But we have a tiny lot of property- and two sides of it are bordered by a stream - one side is road front. There must be something that's good eatin' for them to be hanging out here...

Crossed up with one of these bad boys yesterday - it's just a water snake but man, they look nasty, don't they? He was about two and half feet long.

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Janet

A couple years ago we heard a blood-curdling scream from my little nephew who had just gone up to the cottage by himself from the dock. We thought he had been hurt. When we got to him we understood the scream - a water snake about two feet long was sitting by the steps into the cottage with a frog hanging out of its mouth. A very scary and repulsive sight. No wonder my nephew was hysterical!!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I saw one the day before yesterday, right beside the house which is very unusual. I don't ever remember seeing one that close before. I think it was just a garter snake but it was big. So maybe there are more this year????? I hate them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
dayvsea

We have a diamondback rattlesnake skin on the wall of our camp from floor to ceiling a foot around, when people ask "where did you get that"?, I say "the patio......"
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

That's FUNNY dayvsea. It's so much fun to mess with people about snakes. We have a resident water snake out on a rocky point at our place. It's all of 3' long and as thick as your wrist. I've caught it several times to give the grandkids a lesson on respecting wildlife, but my daughter is terrified of the thing and would dynamite the whole point if I would let her.
Sometimes we will stroll out there with unknowing company and I warn them to be on the lookout for water moccasins.....with that thought in their mind the result is predictable when we stumble onto my resident snake.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
dayvsea

Yah for some it's beyond fear, it's blind terror! But we all know the cautionary tale of Europe back in the dark ages, when Cats and Snakes were killed as evil..You see what that brought on... So they are here to help, not to find people and bite them....(In America anyway..)
Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
hancoveguy

Havent't seen any this summer but last summer my boys were playing on tubes in the swim area. Eventually the ventured over towards the docks and when they were on their way back I could see parents hustling down to the water's edge to pluck children out of the water. Not usually a cause for concern for me because my kids have that effect on many (lol) until I saw a fairly long snake following them towards the beach and closing fast. I posted something on here about it to see what it was but I think it was just a large water snake 3-4 ft long. Spooked the wife to the point that she wont swim near the docks to this day...

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Havent't seen any this summer but last summer my boys were playing on tubes in the swim area. Eventually the ventured over towards the docks and when they were on their way back I could see parents hustling down to the water's edge to pluck children out of the water. Not usually a cause for concern for me because my kids have that effect on many (lol) until I saw a fairly long snake following them towards the beach and closing fast. I posted something on here about it to see what it was but I think it was just a large water snake 3-4 ft long. Spooked the wife to the point that she wont swim near the docks to this day...

HCG
i'm glad i don't live on the water!
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
dayvsea

Dollars to doughnuts the snake was swimming ashore.. A 3 foot snake wouldn't eat anyones child as a meal..(Now a 25' Anaconda...)
Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Barney Bear

Default Snake Charmer

My lovely bride enjoys visits from our resident garter snakes of various sizes. She talks to them when she sees them out and about. We have one snake that suns itself on our goat cart planter which is located on our dock. Others sun themselves on several rocks around our cottage. Many years ago, a large milk snake paid us a visit on East Bear Island..
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote