Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
correric12

Question Blue Accent Lighting

We just bought a new boat which has Blue LED accent lighting on it including underwater lighting.

I am looking for input on the appropriate use of this lighting before we receive it this spring.

It has a radar arch with lights that shine down into the cockpit of the boat.

It has accent lights in the rear facing speakers at the swim platform.

It has rear facing underwater lights

It has blue accent lighting in the vent panels on the rear sides of the boat.

Can any of these lights be used underway, or while floating on the lake at night or only at the dock.

I have been told a number of answers and looking to see what the group can share. I do have an e-mail inquiry in to MP to get input.

Please let me know your thoughts.
correric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Seaplane Pilot

Don’t use any of these lights (underway or at anchor) otherwise you WILL get stopped (unless you’re the Mt. Washington. Read: Double standard)

There are other posts on this subject, so maybe do a search.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
kawishiwi

Default Whoops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by correric12 View Post
We just bought a new boat which has Blue LED accent lighting on it including underwater lighting.

I am looking for input on the appropriate use of this lighting before we receive it this spring.

It has a radar arch with lights that shine down into the cockpit of the boat.

It has accent lights in the rear facing speakers at the swim platform.

It has rear facing underwater lights

It has blue accent lighting in the vent panels on the rear sides of the boat.

Can any of these lights be used underway, or while floating on the lake at night or only at the dock.

I have been told a number of answers and looking to see what the group can share. I do have an e-mail inquiry in to MP to get input.

Please let me know your thoughts.
I don't believe you can have any visible light other than red/green & all around when under power, AND I am pretty sure blue lights of any kind are completely disallowed, probably because thats the color marine patrol uses.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
camp guy

Default Boat lighting

For correric12:

This topic has been discussed extensively in the past, and everybody, and I do mean everybody, had an opinion, right, wrong, and indifferent. My suggestion to you: Prepare your question, then ask the Marine Patrol directly, and only discuss it with them. They are the authority. When all is said and done, you can post your results.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Underwater lights

I just did a quick search on the Forum using "underwater lights"

There were a lot of posts. This came up:

The Marine Patrol would also remind boaters that any light being exhibited in addition to the prescribed navigation lights for their vessel is also illegal. After-market accent light fixtures have become very popular the last several years with the emergence of LED (light-emitting diode) lighting. Boat operators must extinguish these types of lights before getting underway on the water.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Hillcountry

My toon has these lights too. I would use them at anchor at night along with the proper anchor light but only if I were having some kind of night time swim party with guests, which I haven’t done yet...but I won’t rule it out for some future occasion. I don’t see a problem unless you are UNDERWAY. A lot worse things going on out there...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
My toon has these lights too. I would use them at anchor at night along with the proper anchor light but only if I were having some kind of night time swim party with guests, which I haven’t done yet...but I won’t rule it out for some future occasion. I don’t see a problem unless you are UNDERWAY. A lot worse things going on out there...
Just an FYI...the under water accent lighting is illegal in NH while underway or anchored. This is direct from Marine Patrol who gave me a warning for it a couple years ago while anchored.

Dan
Old 03-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Blue Accent Lighting

Dan are you sure your not allowed while anchored now? I purchased a new boat from Irwin two years ago with blue underwater lights. They usually will not install accessories that are illegal on the lake. I am very curious now.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Dan are you sure your not allowed while anchored now? I purchased a new boat from Irwin two years ago with blue underwater lights. They usually will not install accessories that are illegal on the lake. I am very curious now.
I am not sure that is correct. A friend ordered and bought a new boat from a dealer on the lake with switchable exhaust when that was illegal. I think some dealers may tell you if something is illegal but many are just profit motivated and you know how that works..................
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am not sure that is correct. A friend ordered and bought a new boat from a dealer on the lake with switchable exhaust when that was illegal. I think some dealers may tell you if something is illegal but many are just profit motivated and you know how that works..................

If I have a chance later I’m going to research. They specifically told me I cannot use them underway but could while anchored.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
ishoot308

Quote:

Positive, unless the law has changed in the last couple years. The warning not only occurred with me but with a few others while watching the fireworks anchored in Wolfeboro bay. The Marine Patrol officer nicely asked me to turn them off as they were illegal in the state. I confirmed what he said by contacting someone I know in the NH Marine Trades Association. From what I remember, these lights are only legal when docked.

If you want to be certain in case the law has changed recently , I would call Marine Patrol.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-19-2018 at 08:15 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #12
joey2665

Default Blue Accent Lighting

Thanks Dan. I’ll try to call today.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll try to call today.

Please report back what they say...

Thanks!

Dan
Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #14
Patofnaud

Yes, please.

At the NE Boat Show, I specifically asked an MP that patrols Winni and he stated to me 'As long as they do not blink/flash or impeded your night vision underway'.

Which threw me for a loop and I followed up with when did that change and he was not sure.

Way too many different stories on this silly law. I'd rather flash like a Christmas tree than being broadsided by an idiot thinking I was parking lights the Weirs.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Just an FYI...the under water accent lighting is illegal in NH while underway or anchored. This is direct from Marine Patrol who gave me a warning for it a couple years ago while anchored.

Dan
Thanks for the FYI.
Like I said, I have never left these lights on (one time I tried them just to see the effect when pulling out of Meredith in the dark before sun up) when going fishing. I had heard that they were illegal underway so I quickly shut them off after seeing what they looked like. By the way they looked very cool!
Seems to me to be one of “those laws” that different MP officers interpret differently?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
codeman671

I believe that I heard recently that the side lights were approved now. I was having a conversation at the boat show, I think it was Winnisquam that told me they got the ruling changed??? Or maybe it was too many drinks?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I believe that I heard recently that the side lights were approved now. I was having a conversation at the boat show, I think it was Winnisquam that told me they got the ruling changed??? Or maybe it was too many drinks?
I’ll drink to that!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
Seaplane Pilot

Here are the current rules for lights. In my opinion, any lights other than what's described here are subject to the individual MP's interpretation. Why take the chance?

Interesting to see the last paragraph (paragraph "e"). I wonder what these federal requirements are that can be followed in lieu of the State requirements?

Saf-C 403.14 Time for Lights. Proper lighting, as required in Saf-C 403.15 and Saf-C 403.16, shall be displayed between sunset and sunrise. Lights shall be lighted at such times and no other lights which might be mistaken for, interfere with, or distract from, the prescribed lights shall be exhibited.

Source. #2351, eff 4-25-83; ss by #3010, eff 5-2-85; ss by #4562, eff 1-3-89; amd by #5862, eff 7-1-94; amd by #5936, INTERIM, eff 1-3-95, EXPIRES, 5-3-95 (formerly Saf-C 403.16); ss by #6005, eff 3-24-95, EXPIRED: 3-24-03

New. #7904, INTERIM, eff 6-24-03, EXPIRED: 12-21-03

New. #8093, EMERGENCY, eff 5-28-04, EXPIRES: 11-24-04; ss and moved by #8172, eff 9-21-04 (from Saf-C 403.13); ss by #10293, eff 3-20-13

Saf-C 403.15 Lights on all Motorboats.

(a) All motorboats, including boats propelled by outboard motors, shall while under way, carry lights with distances of visibility on clear nights shown as follows:

(1) For class A and I motorboats:

a. A bright white light aft to show all around the horizon; and

b. A combined light on the fore part of the vessel and lower than the white light aft, showing green to starboard and red to port, so fixed as to throw the light from right ahead to 2 points abaft the beam of their respective sides; and

(2) For class II and III motorboats:

a. A bright white light in the fore part of the vessel as near the stem as practicable, so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 20 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light 10 points on each side of the vessel, namely, from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on either side;

b. A bright white light aft to show all around the horizon, and higher than the white light forward;

c. On the starboard side, a green light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 10 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on the starboard side;

d. On the port side, a red light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 10 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on the port side; and

e. The side lights shall be fitted with inboard screens of sufficient height and so set as to prevent these lights from being seen across the bow.

(b) Each motorboat shall carry only the combined light or separate side lights as appropriate to its class. Additionally, one white light at the stern so constructed that it shall show an unbroken light over an area of the horizon of 12 points of the compass so fixed as to show the light 6 points from right aft on each side of the vessel.

(c) When propelled by both sail and machinery a motorboat shall carry the lights required by this section for a motorboat propelled by machinery only.

(d) Every white light prescribed by this section shall be of such character as to be visible at a distance of at least 2 miles. Every colored light prescribed by this section shall be of such character as to be visible at a distance of at least one mile. The word "visible" in this paragraph, when applied to lights, means visible on a dark night with clear atmosphere.

(e) Any motorboat may carry and exhibit the lights required by the federal requirements for preventing collisions at sea, 1960, International Rules of the Road, federal act of September 24, 1963, 33 USC 1051-1053, 1061-1094, 77 Stat. 194-210, as amended, in lieu of the lights required by this section.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #19
joey2665

Now that clears it up.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #20
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Now that clears it up.
I agree - clear as mud!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I agree - clear as mud!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Dan
Dan is correct. My neighbor bought one of the biggest if not the biggest toon on the lake from Thurston's. When he turns on the nav or anchor light both outside pontoons will light up just below the waterline. First night out he was stop by marine patrol and was told only the nav or anchor light is to be displayed. There was an altercation between the LEO and the owner as the owner could not switch off the LED lights without switching off the nav or anchor lights. The owner was told he cannot go anywhere without any lights. He would have to cut the wires or pull the fuse, just turn the LED lights off!
I don't what he did to turn the LED off but he did tell me Thurston told home it was his problem. He ended up putting an extra light switch on the dash for the LED lights. He found out he was not the only one.

I was stop once for having the cockpit lights on underway. Cockpit lights and cabin lights are not allowed under way. Maybe Skip or Capt Dunleavy can clarify for us.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 03-19-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
joey2665

Default Marine Patrol

OK, I have spoken to the Marine Patrol in Meredith.

Their stance on the issue is that if you are anchored and your accent lighting in on, you must also have your stern and bow lights on so as if passing by it can be easily seen that you are in fact an anchored boat.

There is nothing is writing and this has been an ongoing discussion at Marine Patrol but this is their current position.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #24
BroadHopper

Quote:

Their stance on the issue is that if you are anchored and your accent lighting in on, you must also have your stern and bow lights on so as if passing by it can be easily seen that you are in fact an anchored boat.

There is nothing is writing and this has been an ongoing discussion at Marine Patrol but this is their current position.
Interesting. laws have changed? I got a ticket anchoring off Timber Island one night by a cadet officer, he stated the red/green bow lights shall be displayed when anchoring. I showed him my NH Boater's manual and it states that the red/green lights shall be display only when under way.

I contested the ticket. While I was waiting for the court date, an apologetic letter from marine patrol came in the mail asking me to disregard the summon.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #25
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

See, that's what bothers me. This answer is contradictory to the law, which prohibits bow lights from being on when anchored. So the poor guy that gets this advice from one MP person, has the potential to get a ticket from another. Makes no sense to me.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
See, that's what bothers me. This answer is contradictory to the law, which prohibits bow lights from being on when anchored. So the poor guy that gets this advice from one MP person, has the potential to get a ticket from another. Makes no sense to me.
I agree, he did say it was an ongoing discussion at Marine Patrol and this is mainly because the law preceded this type of lighting on pleasure boats.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #27
ishoot308

Quote:

Thanks for reporting back!

So you must have your NAVIGATION lights on so other boaters know your anchored...Huh??... I must say I do not agree whatsoever with what Marine Patrol told you. I agree with Seaplane Pilot that this is completely contradictory to the law as is currently written.

Bow lights (red / green) should only be on when underway, this is how other boats know you are a moving vessel. This is also a boating standard! When anchored, just the all around White stern light should be on... I don’t get it... I would rather they wouldn’t allow accent lighting at all and make bow / stern anchor and nav lights they way they should be. Makes no sense to me...

Thanks again for taking the time to ask!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-19-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

The key here is that other boaters, including MP, need to be able to 1. Differentiate you from MP, 2. Clearly recognize the boat is anchored OR moving away (and the direction) and 3. NOT have their ability to see affected by other lighting.

I think it's hard to accomplish all three of these things with mood lighting. Most of the auxiliary lighting I've seen has made it really hard to see the other lights, and there have been a few close calls because of it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #29
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The key here is that other boaters, including MP, need to be able to 1. Differentiate you from MP, 2. Clearly recognize the boat is anchored OR moving away (and the direction) and 3. NOT have their ability to see affected by other lighting.

I think it's hard to accomplish all three of these things with mood lighting. Most of the auxiliary lighting I've seen has made it really hard to see the other lights, and there have been a few close calls because of it.

You are correct it is difficult to identify which is why they want bow and stern lights on. I also do agree with Seaplane, if anything it should just be stern lights not bow.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #30
Hillcountry

This is what my boat has, basically. I don’t see the fuss about using them...actually, I think they make the boat easier to see and identify what it’s doing...

https://youtu.be/2T89jFO7xbw
Old 03-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #31
joey2665

Default Clarification

Called back to question the bow lights and it is JUST the stern lights that need to be on while anchored and using your accent lights. This makes much more sense.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #32
Hillcountry

Quote:
Called back to question the bow lights and it is JUST the stern lights that need to be on while anchored and using you accent light. This makes much more sense.
Thanks for checking! Makes sense to me too!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #33
ishoot308

Quote:
Called back to question the bow lights and it is JUST the stern lights that need to be on while anchored and using you accent light. This makes much more sense.
OK, now THAT makes sense! So standard boating laws and accent lighting good while anchored but not while underway...Sounds good to me!

Thank you for getting the info and clarifying!

Dan
Old 03-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #34
joey2665

Quote:
OK, now THAT makes sense! So standard boating laws and accent lighting good while anchored but not while underway...Sounds good to me!

Thank you for getting the info and clarifying!

Dan
Anytime Dan. Have a great night.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #35
Patofnaud

Quote:
not while underway...
Dan
I didn't see that in Hill's response. Only the 'while anchored' part, which I fully agree with. The anchor light is an anchor light. Nav lights are while navigating. It's the 'while moving' that is clear as mud.

Whatever MP decides, they really need to just post/print/carrier pidgeon one concise easy to read rule without 15 RSA's referred to. Whenever I turn mine on, even when docked, I feel like I am about to get a ticket or warning.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #36
Rusty

It is so confusing that it makes me want to eat a large box of Cheez-its.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #37
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Rusty, as long as you don't give any to those damn geese!!!!--------
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #38
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Rusty, as long as you don't give any to those damn geese!!!!--------
I won't tis, FLL keeps the "damn geese" satisfied with them. Burp! Whoops, sorry I ate too many cheez-its.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #39
correric12

Thank you for all the research, discussion and input.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #40
correric12

Talking Sharing Marine Patrol Input

I received Input from Marine Patrol and wanted to share: This provides some decent clarity. - Thank you to Captain Tim for the timely and thorough explanation of the interpretation. Answers in Blue

Good Afternoon Marine Patrol. I wanted to ask if I could get some clarity on the proper usage of the lighting that our new boat will be equipped with.

We have recently purchased a new boat which will be delivered to us in the spring. It is equipped with blue accent and underwater lighting,

It has an arch which has 2 accent over head lights that shine down into the cockpit of the boat. Can these be used while underway at night on the lake? Can they be used while floating on the lake at night? Or only while docking? No other lighting that can be mistaken for navigation lights can be displayed while underway. Typically, all cabin lights should be extinguished with the exception of dashboard lights while underway so the operator’s night vision is not impacted by their own boat’s ambient lighting. Furthermore, any lights that can be mistaken as law enforcement, fire, or other emergency lighting (typically flashing) is illegal.

It has exterior blue lighting in vent panels on the side of the boat. Can these be used while underway at night on the lake? Can they be used while floating on the lake at night? Or only while docking? If they are on the exterior of the boat, likely only for docking if extra lighting is necessary. There is no need to display exterior lighting outside of the vessel beyond navigation lights.

It has blue underwater lighting. As we are avid boaters today and are regularly on the lake during the summer day and night. With this new trend in boating we often find it remarkable how much better a boat is identified on the lake at night while underway with rear facing underwater lights but have heard that the use of them while away from a dock is illegal. Can these be used while underway at night on the lake? Can they be used while floating on the lake at night? Or only while docking? While docked or at anchor only.

I assume the anchor light must be displayed as well when anchored with underwater lighting on. The anchor light must absolutely be displayed any time at anchor.

Can the side accent lights be displayed along with underwater lighting while anchored at night. As far as panel lights, they would be ok as long as they are not so bright that they overpower the lights required by law or blinds the night vision of other boats.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
noreast

That's exactly what they told me 2 years ago. I know there's been some ify responses in the past but that's the rule, Some People really want to hear a different answer so they'll keep asking.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #42
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I don't get why these are even put on in the first place, they seem rather silly and certainly look cheesy. Some interior accent lighting is nice and I get that but the exterior/underwater stuff, eh I wouldn't want to look like I just came off an episode of "Pimp my barge".

Guess everyone has their opinions!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #43
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
That's exactly what they told me 2 years ago. I know there's been some ify responses in the past but that's the rule, Some People really want to hear a different answer so they'll keep asking.

The problem is that it is not a law it is currently just a consensus opinion of the marine patrol officers.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #44
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I don't get why these are even put on in the first place, they seem rather silly and certainly look cheesy. Some interior accent lighting is nice and I get that but the exterior/underwater stuff, eh I wouldn't want to look like I just came off an episode of "Pimp my barge".

You and I haven't seemed to agree on much socially or politically, but when it comes to exterior naval lighting, we're on the same page!

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #45
Hillcountry

Quote:

They came on a boat that we bought from a dealer...it is nice to see the effect they have and if used as intended (docked/anchored),
I don't think they are obtrusive or offensive (as other air/noise/water) pollutants out there.
To each his own...
Old 03-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #46
ishoot308

I think the underwater lighting is nice and serves a purpose when swimming at night around your boat. To use them while underway serves no purpose whatsoever and I am glad they are not allowed while underway.

The interior mood lighting (below playpen area) is awesome and allows people on the boat to see at night. They do not affect the Captains night vision whatsoever and really can’t be seen by other boaters.

Dan
Old 03-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #47
noreast

I agree with all of that, I have them everywhere and love the interior blue, The outside lights are great at night at the dock, nobody needs extra lights while underway.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #48
garysanfran

Default Send underwater drone vids...

Not seen them, but it seems these lights at night would be cool. I'd like to see an underwater video at night with people swimming.

However, I can see where some people enjoying a quiet dark night view from their places and then having a boat anchored in front with lights on might be annoying.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #49
MAXUM

I've actually seen people at night tooling around with the exterior and underwater blue lights on - in fact at last year's fireworks display in Ctr Harbor there were a number of barges that had them on and the MP guys did not seem interested in addressing their use while underway. Now could be under the circumstances due to the crowds and so forth they had enough to worry about but I would have thought that if this was "illegal" they would have at least driven by and told those using them to shut them off.

I'm sure most folks that have these installed don't really know they shouldn't use them underway. Just a matter of education.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #50
Hillcountry

So...respectfully, what exactly is your problem with pontoon boats? You keep using the word “barge” to describe what a lot of folks think is an enjoyable and fun craft for a lake environment. Certainly, these boats can rival anything on the water in looks, quality, and cost...just curious about your obvious bias against them.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Lights off please

Some of us prefer to swim in the dark. Lights off, please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2WpZA_L4E
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #52
Patofnaud

Quote:
in fact at last year's fireworks display in Ctr Harbor there were a number of barges that had them on and the MP guys did not seem interested in addressing their use while underway.
I was there. I was one of them at anchor with mine on but turned them off when I was underway. I saw that a lot had them on underway and figured the MP left them alone because they had better things to do.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #53
BroadHopper

Quote:
I've actually seen people at night tooling around with the exterior and underwater blue lights on - in fact at last year's fireworks display in Ctr Harbor there were a number of barges that had them on and the MP guys did not seem interested in addressing their use while underway. Now could be under the circumstances due to the crowds and so forth they had enough to worry about but I would have thought that if this was "illegal" they would have at least driven by and told those using them to shut them off.

I'm sure most folks that have these installed don't really know they shouldn't use them underway. Just a matter of education.
I notice the same shenanigan at the Meredith fireworks display! Funny thing the 'barge' owners swear that the GFBL crowd are bad, they are worst!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #54
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I notice the same shenanigan at the Meredith fireworks display! Funny thing the 'barge' owners swear that the GFBL crowd are bad, they are worst!
“They are the worst”

You just insulted about 2/3rds of the boaters on the lake and many on this forum. Does that make you feel good? Do you feel superior with your fiberglass formula?...and since when do pontoon owners ever bad mouth the performance boat owners either here or anywhere for that matter? Many pontoon owners came from performance boats but you already knew that...

Think before you type!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-26-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #55
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
So...respectfully, what exactly is your problem with pontoon boats? You keep using the word “barge” to describe what a lot of folks think is an enjoyable and fun craft for a lake environment. Certainly, these boats can rival anything on the water in looks, quality, and cost...just curious about your obvious bias against them.
Respectfully - let's not overstate what I've said, or NOT said.

I'm not trying to insulting anyone, I just call them party barges cause that's what they were called when they first came out. I apologize profusely if "party barge" is now considered a derogatory label.

I don't have a problem with them, never said I did, in fact the ones hitting the market these days are very nicely appointed and arguably a pretty sweet floating living room. Still think the exterior lighting is cheesy, which I might add shows zero bias one way or another towards them just one particular option some come with now. You really need to lighten up a bit (no pun intended, and please enjoy responsibly)

Finally I just happened to mention the use of exterior lights at the fireworks just as an anecdotal observation considering there were a number of MP there doing their usual thing and figured that if in fact this was illegal they didn't seem terribly concerned about addressing it. I figured this observation might add to the conversation is all. I never said or saw or even suggested any of these folks were being rude, obnoxious, unsafe in any way.

I have seen bad captains behind the helm of just about every boat type there is out there. It's not the boat that's the problem it's the meatheads at the controls.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #56
Hillcountry

Quote:
Respectfully - let's not overstate what I've said, or NOT said.

I'm not trying to insulting anyone, I just call them party barges cause that's what they were called when they first came out. I apologize profusely if "party barge" is now considered a derogatory label.

I don't have a problem with them, never said I did, in fact the ones hitting the market these days are very nicely appointed and arguably a pretty sweet floating living room. Still think the exterior lighting is cheesy, which I might add shows zero bias one way or another towards them just one particular option some come with now. You really need to lighten up a bit (no pun intended, and please enjoy responsibly)

Finally I just happened to mention the use of exterior lights at the fireworks just as an anecdotal observation considering there were a number of MP there doing their usual thing and figured that if in fact this was illegal they didn't seem terribly concerned about addressing it. I figured this observation might add to the conversation is all. I never said or saw or even suggested any of these folks were being rude, obnoxious, unsafe in any way.

I have seen bad captains behind the helm of just about every boat type there is out there. It's not the boat that's the problem it's the meatheads at the controls.
Can’t argue with your last sentence! For sure, lots of meatheads out there!
Oh, and I won’t “lighten up” either...except when anchored of course!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #57
Phantom

Quote:
I'm not trying to insulting anyone, I just call them party barges cause that's what they were called when they first came out. .
WOW !

They've always been "Party Barges" to us as well !!

What's the new PC term ? ( I'm sure after you tell me I'll continue with calling them Party Barges, but it might be nice to know !)

Old 03-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #58
The Real BigGuy

After following this thread I’m thinking of mounting a few LEDs low on my tie posts for night docking. Do you think MP will have an issue?

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #59
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
WOW !

They've always been "Party Barges" to us as well !!

What's the new PC term ? ( I'm sure after you tell me I'll continue with calling them Party Barges, but it might be nice to know !)

Lol... I'm far from a PC kinda guy but the word barges was being used and not party barges...I do recall hearing people calling them party barges and dont have a problem with that...I dont have a problem with barges either I was just wondering why he was calling them barges which conjur up visions of a dirty old work barge...
Old 03-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #60
Descant

Don't let your lighting resemble a boat i.e. red & green. We have floodlights in the yard and if somebody turns them on as you approach it ca be (night vision) blinding. Soar lights that are a few inches to a foot above the deck are what we use. Cheaper than anything that says "marine" on it. A single white light at the very end of a dark dock could be mistaken for a single stern or anchor light.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #61
BroadHopper

Default Sorry

I did not mean to insult pontoon owners. I'm referring to comments by former WINNFAB folks a decade ago that pontoon owners can do no wrong and that they are the darlings of safety. Of course that have changed since then.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #62
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
After following this thread I’m thinking of mounting a few LEDs low on my tie posts for night docking. Do you think MP will have an issue?

Go for it...the solar ones work super! Got them in various places around my house and garage! Get the ones that are also motion activated so they’re not on all night.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #63
garysanfran

Default Lights on a dock....

A few years ago I contacted MP about this subject. I don't remember the exact answer but the answer definitely restricted any lighting on a dock and I abandoned the plan. I think it was lighting within a certain distance from the shoreline.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #64
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Some of us prefer to swim in the dark. Lights off, please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2WpZA_L4E
I apologize. This was not the link I intended to post. We re now past the discussion, so the correct link will not be needed.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #65
Dave M

I have a tree next to shore and I have a spot light on the tree 10-15' up shining directly on my dock stairs. Been like that for 46 years, no complaints, etc. I do live in a cove behind Long Island so there's not that much traffic. It might work anywhere since its not facing out into the water.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #66
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I have a tree next to shore and I have a spot light on the tree 10-15' up shining directly on my dock stairs. Been like that for 46 years, no complaints, etc. I do live in a cove behind Long Island so there's not that much traffic. It might work anywhere since its not facing out into the water.

Dave M
Sure...a light up on shore from a mile or two away might appear to be on the water. That said, I’m sure everyone has seen shore lighting from a dark lake and studied it to be sure of what it was...
Old 03-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #67
tis

Are you sure you can't have lighting on a dock? I thought only colored lights are not allowed?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #68
Descant

RSA 270-D:7-a Shore Lights. – No person shall display, at any point on the shore visible from the water, any lights that resemble in color or configuration the required navigation lights of any vessel.
Source. 2006, 283:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2007.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #69
Barney Bear

Default Shore White Light

We have had a post light near our dock for years and years and years and......🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #70
tis

Right, descant, but I think that means any colored lights. ????
Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 AM   #71
BroadHopper

Default Shore lights

Decades ago there were very little light pollution along the shores at night. The flashing lights markers were clearly visible and night navigation was not a problem. Today it is difficult to see the lights and night navigation is difficult especially on a moonless night. That is why I despise dock lights that are on during the evening. A good reason why MP will not allow collared or blinking lights. Most of the older residents realize this and turn on dock lights only when needed. Not leaving them on all night like many people do. I even seen docks that have lights on a timer so that the dock is illuminated when no one is on the property! What the purpose? Show off?
Old 03-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #72
tis

We don't have lights on our docks now but when we did, people used to tell us they liked them because they used them as a guide.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #73
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Light pollution getting worse.

I pretty much agree with Broadhopper. My pet peeve is the very bright white lights that seem to be focused out toward the lake. Typically these are spotlights, Also, the homes with a large expanse of glass facing the lake, with every room seemingly lit up obscuring both navigational marker lights or Nav lights on boats.

I don't have too much of a problem with solar powered dock post cap lights, or surface mount solar dock lights. Their intensity are usually less than that of the flashers or white all around lights.

For me, it's all about the intensity. When my first mate (Mrs. Upthesaukee) can't pick out the flashers, the ride goes from "happy wife, happy life" to " #@&% those shore lights! Are you sure you know where we are at? ".

Dave
Old 03-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #74
Descant

I, too, agree with Broadhopper. Light pollution is a problem. My speculation is that in the suburbs to the south, the police recommend lots of light so prowlers etc can be seen. Magazines and landscapers extol the beauty of landscape lighting. None of them have nighttime boat navigation in mind. I will admit that on a foggy night, navigating between Welch and the mainland in either direction , it was nice to see an identifiable light to confirm compass and clock. Although lots of white lights on your dock will probably not be mistaken for a vessel, they do degrade night vision making it harder to see other boats nav lights.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #75
tis

I agree too. The cap lights on the docks are fine but bright lights are awful. I do believe you cannot have a bright light like a spotlight shining even off the lake. If it bothers your neighbors it's not allowed.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #76
The Real BigGuy

I wan’t actually talking about lights “on” the dock. I’m thinking about putting underwater LEDs on the tie posts 2 or 3 feet under water.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #77
Patofnaud

Default Spirit of the law.

You have to think about the spirit of the law.

I am sure the law was written to address those folks who thought to make their waterfront a bit more nautical by putting red/green/flashing lights on their dock, back porch, granite non-politically correct jockey with a lantern out for all to see.

Those things caused nav problems.

Of course, once the law is written people interpret it as many things, but I doubt MP is worried about a couple of white lights in your backyard/dock as long as they are not spotlighting facing out into the water.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #78
Barney Bear

Default Goody Two Shoes

To conform with the lighting law, we no longer put our lighted pink flamingo, lighted green frog, or lighted white Scottish terrier on our dock on East Bear Island. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #79
ishoot308

Low voltage or solar "down lighting" should never be a problem. We all have the right to walk safely on our docks and along your property at night. The biggest issue is like what Tis stated, the large flood lights that some people put up that shine across the water, or the red and green nostalgic nautical lights...

Dan
Old 04-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #80
Descant

We used to be able to navigate at night by the shape of the islands and mainland. Now that so many islands have electricity, from whatever source, it is more difficult. Solar lights don't turn off at 9-10 pm, so there is still light pollution even if you aren't walking around your dock.