Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
wingnuts

Default waterski race?

Can Anyone out there confirm that there is an endurance waterski race tomorrow morning? Saunders Bay to Parker Isle and back??
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Glendale Girl

http://www.wyc-nh.org/wb/index.php
On
July 20, 2013 the Winnipesaukee Yacht Club will proudly host
a return to a storied Lake Winnipesaukee tradition, a marathon waterskiing
competition. Several years ago Guy Nickerson and some of his friends
resurrected this event after conversations with veteran marathoner and WYC
member Brad Thompson.

Skiiers will complete a course of about 15 miles, and about 10
teams are expected for this years event. The start and finish will be at the
club, and there should be plenty of opportunity for watching the race and to
meet some of the competitors.

Many of our current and past members were participants in these
types of events over the years. Brad Thompson, John Goodhue and Chuck Coons
all participated in past marathons, and in a nod to the new generation, Brad
even donated some of his old marathon trophies to the event as awards for
the new winners.

If we are lucky, some of the old timers will show up and regale
us with stories of their Glory Days, and perhaps throw down a challenge or
two for future events. Stop by and show your support, share some comradery,
or just have a doughnut!

Anyone who would like to help, participate or who can offer some
history on these events, can contact Casey Nickerson or Ed Philpot.

The event will start with a meeting at the club at 6:30 AM and
will be finished by 8:30 AM, with a light breakfast for participants on the
dock.

Last edited by Glendale Girl; 07-19-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding a link
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glendale Girl For This Useful Post:
DonziJeff (07-22-2013), surfnsnow (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Does that mean the whole event will be done by 8:30? So what would be a good time to be out at Parker Island or the broads? Which side of Rattlesnake will they ski on?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
wingnuts

Thanks for the info. We will be skiing early in a m and then heading over to see the finish of the race by boat. Any suggestions on where to throw the hook and watch the finish of the race??
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Island Girl

Default Skiers went by early this morning

We got up early to watch the skiers go up the broads. Most were far away. A couple, however, came zooming by, very close to the island. It was fun to watch... I was envious of the skiers. It has been a long time since I water skied!

Thanks for the show. Was there a winner?

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
polarisman14

Go figure. Guy is my boss, and Casey is his father. I knew he did a lot on the lake, but this is way cool.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
We got up early to watch the skiers go up the broads. Most were far away. A couple, however, came zooming by, very close to the island. It was fun to watch... I was envious of the skiers. It has been a long time since I water skied!

IG
We saw them as well, we didn't know of the race until after, but is was fun to see them buzzing the island in the morning. One neighbor was out telling them to slow down and screaming about the noise so early. We loved it, hope to see it again!
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default A tradition

The races been around since the 50's. At one time there were three clubs and folks from all over the US would gather twice a month for races. There was a 60 mile marathon each year that was the biggest draw.

Race went well last Saturday. See you all next year!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
DonziJeff

Default Does anyone have pictures from this event?

We are looking for any pictures of this event, especially the winning team in the blue and white Donzi or the orange Duo boat that was also around. If you are willing to share please e mail them to me at jkimball327@hotmail.com thanks!
DonziJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
DonziJeff

Default Winner out of Lake Shore Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post

IG
The winner was Ricky L. from LSP.
DonziJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
jess1234

Default Great Driving and Observing as Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziJeff View Post
The winner was Ricky L. from LSP.
Don't be so modest Jeff, you guy's did a great job beating us! And kudos to Ricky in the rough water.
jess1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess1234 For This Useful Post:
DonziJeff (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
livefreeordie

Great race guys, if only I was ready when my brother decided to go before checking with me. Man it was choppy in spots thats for sure.

See you all next year. Im also thinking we should make this a 3-4 race series during the summer.
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
We saw them as well, we didn't know of the race until after, but is was fun to see them buzzing the island in the morning. One neighbor was out telling them to slow down and screaming about the noise so early. We loved it, hope to see it again!
That's funny and reminds me of some people I know... These people bought some land a built a lake house overlooking a water ski slalom course that's been in regular use and in the same place for years (long before there were any houses nearby). The skiers obviously prefer the flat water that one usually finds early in the AM and have always skied then. The people I know find this irritating and have started getting up early just to park themselves in kayaks on the ski course.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
tis

I hope you guys will give us a better idea next time if there is one, of the approximate time and place where we could watch it. I still don't know which side of Rattlesnake it went on and about what time. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
NHBUOY

Exclamation

Tis, I think DaveR's story is quite telling and is probably the reason the race is low-key and the info kept "close-to-the-vest" by the competitors. It shouldn't have to be this way, but I totally understand the reasoning. The same "type" of person(s) DR story contains.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBUOY For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
Tis, I think DaveR's story is quite telling and is probably the reason the race is low-key and the info kept "close-to-the-vest" by the competitors. It shouldn't have to be this way, but I totally understand the reasoning. The same "type" of person(s) DR story contains.
You are probably right. Sad, isn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (07-23-2013)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #17
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I hope you guys will give us a better idea next time if there is one, of the approximate time and place where we could watch it. I still don't know which side of Rattlesnake it went on and about what time. Thanks.
There are several waterski racing topics around the forum, so I was not sure which one to post this video in. But the key sentence in the above quote is "I hope you guys will give us a better idea next time if there is one." and decided to use this one. Seems like these waterski races are cloaked in a little secrecy. If I had to guess it's probably because of the speed limit regulations. To bad if that is the case. For years when my family was involved with the races on Winnisquam, all we had to do is get the proper permit from the state and we had for lack of a better term and very simplified "the right of way" and a little help from the Marine Patrol.

Anyone know what the rules are now? or did the legislature screw this up and make it illegal with no provisions for events like this legally happening again.

Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (02-06-2019), tis (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
fatlazyless

What a super duper video of Lake Winnipesaukee ..... you know the new, as of last year, Flightcraft marina in Weirs Beach is in the water ski biz, what with wake boats and water ski lessons ..... so's maybe they would be a friendly sponsor for a water ski race or demonstration ..... viewed from the Weirs boardwalk .... seems like a good fit?

Like ...... every Friday at 7-pm to kick off the weekend ...... and give people another reason to go to Weirs Beach.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Default DR comment

A good reason why we need to keep the event low key. Crowd control and not to p.o. certain folks on the lake.

Back in the 60's and 70's the lake was famous for the 65 mile marathons. Started in front of the Weirs dock out around Rattlesnake into Meredith Bay and back. It was pretty wild! Than one year a certain lake front owner didn't like the idea after he purchased his property and decided to row out in front of the race boats! He called the marine patrol, claimed the boats were out of control and was nearly collided. The races were there a decade before him! The publicity he created put an end to the races despite an immaculate safety record and strict rules.
Probably the same guy who was complaining about the offshore racing back in the late 90's. Boat racing has been around since 1910's!

Captain Dunleavy of NHDOS once told a reporter his staff spends more time answering calls from land owners, either a dispute with neighbors or boaters, than enforcing boating laws on the water. No wonder legislature decided to tax boat slips! Probably to add more LEO on the water!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default No tax on slips?

From Broadhopper;' "No wonder legislature decided to tax boat slips! Probably to add more LEO on the water!"

Environmental Services is asking for more $$ for permit and application fees. The legislature has not passed that bill. None of this would go to the Department of Safety. Cities and Towns collect property tax on the assessed value of a dock. None of that money goes to the state.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:32 AM   #21
welch-time

I thought I'd share my experience with the race. We'd heard that the race was going to happen, we'd seen the boats/skiers out practicing a few days before the event. The morning of the race (6-7am? I forget) we woke up to the sound of a big powerboat idling out front (2 engines with straight pipes). So I look out and see about 4 or 5 other spectator boats around 100' out in front. Wow, what's going on? At this point I figured out that the race course must be coming past our place. OK, I guess it's time to make the coffee and go out and watch. We were watching the race from our dock. The course brought them right past. It was fun watching. The powerboat guy has been idling all this time trying to keep his boat from drifting. Then a short time later I saw something odd. One of the residents was trolling his boat (25'-30' V hull) back and forth out across the race course seemingly just to be disruptive. This caused some of the spectators to go nuts yelling obscenities. Then another resident in his boat got in a dispute with a boat full of spectators. Maybe because of the loud powerboat idling. Who knows. Clearly some residents were upset.

Last edited by welch-time; 02-06-2019 at 02:38 PM.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welch-time For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-06-2019), Top-Water (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #22
Top-Water

@ welch-time

Thanks for sharing what you had experienced.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Default Welch Island

Some of the Welch Island folks were huge supporters of the marathon. They had some fast boats and were officers on the club. Not going to name names but I am sure the long time residents know who they were.
In fact most of the participants came from islands! Yet they are the most vocal!
Can anyone get along?
Top-Water (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #24
welch-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Some of the Welch Island folks were huge supporters of the marathon. They had some fast boats and were officers on the club. Not going to name names but I am sure the long time residents know who they were.
In fact most of the participants came from islands! Yet they are the most vocal!
Can anyone get along?
Yeah, I know who they are, but I'm not naming names either (not my circus, and those aren't my monkeys). I should point out that this was likely an isolated incident between some spectators and a couple residents, and shouldn't be used to cast a negative light on the marathon. I think the whole thing started because of the loud idling spectator boat getting too close to houses, and it escalated from there. That's just my guess (but I did have a front row seat). I'm hoping this information finds it's way to race organizers and is helpful as P.R. for future events so everybody can continue to have fun.

Last edited by welch-time; 02-06-2019 at 02:43 PM.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welch-time For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #25
Cobalt 25

Great event and great video!

I have been the "Trail Boss" of a few dirt bike racing events that used private property with the landowners permission AND public roads. The dirt bikes in these Enduros were somewhat noisy and mostly were not well received by the general public. We also had to work with local law enforcement to make sure speed laws were respected.

I found that knocking on doors and explaining to the folks along the course that an event was taking place on a specific day did wonders to improve relations. Some residents were fairly hostile at first but warmed up considerably once we had a chance to talk. They just wanted to be part of the process.

It sounds like water ski races have been a part of the lake for a long time. In my opinion it would be nice to see them continue. Maybe the organizers have already done some advance schmoozing, but it couldn't hurt to reach out to as many island residents as possible.

Good luck with this worthwhile endeavor.
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #26
Top-Water

@ BroadHopper & welch-time, ........ Thanks again, .. each of you for sharing these little tid-bits of information.

Thanks

And within minute before/while I posted thanks Cobalt 25 for your prospective.