Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
BoatHouse

Default Debris on the lake after Ice Out

Hi,
I am new to the lake this time of year. How much debris is typical on the lake after Ice Out? How long until it is typically gone? Interested in what people typically see this time of year.
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

First windy day usually cleans things up. If the water has been high there will be lots of things washing up on shore such as branches, water toys, bob house shims, boat cushions......anything not nailed down.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
MikeF-NH

Over the past several years I am probably one of the first boats on the lake (at least that I see). In general anything put on the ice by ice fisherman will be drifting during the days following ice out plus any dock debris from damaged docks and tree limbs and small trees taken down by winter storms. Once this debris finds a shoreline it seems to anchor itself in the days after ice out.

That said, I steamed out of Sheps yesterday and headed east. There were a few big limbs in the bay b/t sheps and Bear island that would cause damage to most boats. The rest of the way looked pretty clear though you had to watch for small pieces of ice just finishing the melting process. While trolling, my planer boards picked up several branches that floated just below the surface and probably would not have caused damage.

Bottom line: I am adverse to going on plane before I get enough light to see this time of year. After lights are on...just be extra vigilant in searching for rogue ice and debris. Assume any little thing has bigger portions of it below the surface. There is nothing that I saw that would keep me off the water. It was a beautiful day to be on the lake yesterday.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Over the past week we have only seen a few small sticks in the area of Welch and Glendale. That said we both scan the water for debris when under way this time of year.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
sum-r breeze

Default My 2 cents

I usually wait until the Mount Washington cruise ship is sailing regularly. The size of the ship and it's movement through the large areas of the lake, tends to push the larger stuff towards the shore line. Be alert and take it easy with the speed for a little while, that way you have some reaction time to avoid what's floating

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
fltsimguy

Did a ride from Gilford to Wolfeboro yesterday and saw lots of small branches, a few wood planks from docks, and a large patch of loose ice at the southern end of the broads. I’m sure the ice patch will melt shortly, but scared the pants off me when I came up to it thinking it was a wind ripple. Just need to keep your eyes out, especially if there’s a chop which would hide the debris.
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
The Real BigGuy

If I see a floating branch or plank, I usually stop, pull it on board, and throw it in the brush pile when I get back to the dock. I don’t want someone else getting damaged by it. Hope I’m not the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Thank you to all the early boaters and shorefront landowners who pick up debris. You perform an important service.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
Barney Bear

Default Lake Clean-up

We always stop to remove floating debris from our beautiful lake, including trash tossed in by inconsiderate boaters. We are sure that many others help out as well. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Some of these landscape companies caring for the typical mainland McMansions have a really bad habit of blowing crap into the lake, such as leaves, sticks and typical winter stuff that collects in the yard instead of racking it up like they are paid to do! Seen it a number of times. Granted it's not trash but certainly not nice either.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Some of these landscape companies caring for the typical mainland McMansions have a really bad habit of blowing crap into the lake, such as leaves, sticks and typical winter stuff that collects in the yard instead of racking it up like they are paid to do! Seen it a number of times. Granted it's not trash but certainly not nice either.
Not good! I wonder if it’s illegal to do so?
I know that some Alton folks got in trouble last year for letting a beaver dam flow into the lake...basically the same on a smaller scale....
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Not good! I wonder if it’s illegal to do so?

I know that some Alton folks got in trouble last year for letting a beaver dam flow into the lake...basically the same on a smaller scale....

It was state DOT that did that, it was Alton folk that complained.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
It was state DOT that did that, it was Alton folk that complained

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I knew someone did it. Being state guys even makes it worse.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote