Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Disposal of Old (Destination) RV

Hi All!
My wife and I will be getting a new park model in fall, so I'm looking for options on what to do with the old one. It's a 39' (with tongue) 1994 Wilderness M39D that would need some work to keep being used (roof is soft in spots, etc.).
The dealer we are buying from may take it, but given the condition there might be a charge. Looking for other options that might be free/cheap.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Take some good photos that show it best, and list it in the 'free stuff' category in craigslist-nh.

Someone might hook up the utilities, add wifi, and re-purpose it into a comfy air-bnb, accessory use, daily rental for the tourists? Probably, most local NH towns understand and allow for storing one rv on your residence property as a way to help pay the property taxes as you get too danged old.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2018 at 07:25 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

You can possibly donate it to charity and receive a decent deduction

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Take some good photos that show it best, and list it in the 'free stuff' category in craigslist-nh. Someone might re-purpose it into a storage shed, or a bobhouse or something?
A 39 foot bobhouse would be quite the “shanty”!!
Better fill every available space with noodles in case it goes through the ice along with the F350 Dually you’ll need to pull it!
Other than that, it might make someone a great hunting camp for free...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You can possibly donate it to charity and receive a decent deduction

I was thinking about this but am wondering if charities take items that require work/may be unusable in present condition?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was thinking about this but am wondering if charities take items that require work/may be unusable in present condition?

Many do and come pick them up such as Kars for Kids. Several clients of mine have used them

Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Default .... the old rv; rent it out!

Haven't the tax rules for charitable donations changed with the new federal tax cut passed in December, which also doubles the personal deduction?

Yes, 39-feet would probably make it too big for a bob-house, but not too big for an accessory use, air-bnb, daily rental. Hook up the utilities, add wifi, make it a cozy, comfy, daily tourist rental and rent it out daily to the tourists as a way to help pay your property taxes.

With every passing year, your property taxes will go up, and you will get a year older, so having an air-bnb rv daily rental, on the side, could be a good income plan for growing old, paying your property tax, and remaining in your own home .... especially on the waterfront.

Most NH towns understand and allow for storing one rv on your residence property as a way to help pay your property tax, as you grow too danged old.

And, your local property taxes over $10,000/year will no longer be deductible off your federal income tax starting for tax year-2018.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
joey2665

Cannot get into a tax discussion on this particular post as we do not know their situation. At the end if the day a deduction is possible and most importantly you are help a worthy cause.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Cannot get into a tax discussion on this particular post as we do not know their situation. At the end if the day a deduction is possible and most importantly you are help a worthy cause.

Agreed--do you have recommendations for whom to check with besides Kars4Kids?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
joey2665

Salvation Army often accepts vehicles and Vietnam Vets of America

Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
joey2665

I believe Make A Wish does also.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default ... charitable donation changes-2018

.... googled 'charitable donation changes 2018' and came up with

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charita...m-the-tax-law/

so, is best to inspect your tax situation because the rules have been changed.

To get it hauled or driven away, to get rid of it and get it the heck off your property, there's the 'free stuff' section in the 'for sale' heading of craigslist-nh where you can post photos and let someone have it for free. Hot tubs, sofas, recliners, and old 42' sailboats seem to be common items in the 'free stuff' section, so it seems like a new home can be found for a 39' rv.

How's 'bout the suggestion to re-purpose the 39' rv into a cozy, comfy, air-bnb daily tourist rental ..... with utilities, water-sewer-elec-wifi-tv off to the side on your resdential waterfront property as a money maker to help with the prop tax bill ..... makes me think about Randy Quaid's character .... Cousin Eddy .... in the 1989 movie 'Christmas Holiday' ...... going air-bnb with an rv could be some type of curious adventure! Maybe include an old hot tub from the free stuff to go with the old rv as a sought after rental amenity?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
.... googled 'charitable donation changes 2018' and came up with

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charita...m-the-tax-law/

so, is best to inspect your tax situation because the rules have been changed.

To get it hauled or driven away, to get rid of it and get it the heck off your property, there's the 'free stuff' section in the 'for sale' heading of craigslist-nh where you can post photos and let someone have it for free. Hot tubs, sofas, recliners, and old 42' sailboats seem to be common items in the 'free stuff' section, so it seems like a new home can be found for a 39' rv.

How's 'bout the suggestion to re-purpose the 39' rv into a cozy, comfy, air-bnb daily tourist rental ..... with utilities, water-sewer-elec-wifi-tv off to the side on your resdential waterfront property as a money maker to help with the prop tax bill ..... makes me think about Randy Quaid's character .... Cousin Eddy .... in the 1989 movie 'Christmas Holiday' ...... going air-bnb with an rv could be some type of curious adventure! Maybe include an old hot tub from the free stuff to go with the old rv as a sought after rental amenity?
Did you even read this article? Funny how cleverly crafted headlines lead to misunderstanding if you don't carefully read it!

The sweeping Republican tax overhaul, delivered by the GOP-dominated Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump, doesn't eliminate or even reduce the deduction for donations to charitable, religious and other nonprofit organizations.

DING DING DING - so the point of the headline is what?

A central pillar of the massive tax law doubles the standard deduction that two-thirds of Americans use, to $12,000 for individuals and $24,000 for married couples. That means many taxpayers who now itemize deductions will find it's no longer beneficial for them do so. They'll find that the deductions they normally take, including for charitable giving, don't add up to as much as the new standard amount.

All this is saying is that due to the increases in the standard deductions many may not donate to charity if their only incentive is for tax purposes. It does not affect in any way the deductions of doing so.

Finally - this article ASSUMES that many people who already give to charity do so simply for the tax deduction. That's a bunch of baloney Americans for the most part (outside the elites in DC and the media) are generous and give from the heart. Trying to spin the tax plan as a charity killer is extremely far fetched.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #14
nhcatrider

Quote:

After seeing this for the third time in this thread, are you looking for cheap housing or something? lol
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #15
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
After seeing this for the third time in this thread, are you looking for cheap housing or something? lol
Don’t knock it!
He’s given me an idea to make some “extra” retirement income...not sure if this is actually legal but it’s might be worth checking out??
Attached Images

Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Here's another: www.donationangel.org/bektashshriners . Donation angel will tow unwanted car, truck, motorcycle, RV, or boat, free.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #17
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Did you even read this article? Funny how cleverly crafted headlines lead to misunderstanding if you don't carefully read it!

The sweeping Republican tax overhaul, delivered by the GOP-dominated Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump, doesn't eliminate or even reduce the deduction for donations to charitable, religious and other nonprofit organizations.

DING DING DING - so the point of the headline is what?

A central pillar of the massive tax law doubles the standard deduction that two-thirds of Americans use, to $12,000 for individuals and $24,000 for married couples. That means many taxpayers who now itemize deductions will find it's no longer beneficial for them do so. They'll find that the deductions they normally take, including for charitable giving, don't add up to as much as the new standard amount.

All this is saying is that due to the increases in the standard deductions many may not donate to charity if their only incentive is for tax purposes. It does not affect in any way the deductions of doing so.

Finally - this article ASSUMES that many people who already give to charity do so simply for the tax deduction. That's a bunch of baloney Americans for the most part (outside the elites in DC and the media) are generous and give from the heart. Trying to spin the tax plan as a charity killer is extremely far fetched.
Sometimes Less just talks to hear himself talk. The first memorable post for me I recall from Less is when he was talking about how supercharged aircraft engines used water injection to increase horsepower. After about two or three paragraphs Less came out with , for me at least, the stunner, he said that you should add a few gallons of water to your boat fuel tank to increase horsepower. I lol'd, it was classic, he has tried but hasn't come close since. I wish I could find it, but it was in the old format forum.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #18
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Sometimes Less just talks to hear himself talk. The first memorable post for me I recall from Less is when he was talking about how supercharged aircraft engines used water injection to increase horsepower. After about two or three paragraphs Less came out with , for me at least, the stunner, he said that you should add a few gallons of water to your boat fuel tank to increase horsepower. I lol'd, it was classic, he has tried but hasn't come close since. I wish I could find it, but it was in the old format forum.
Wait, what?

I wasn’t supposed to add water to my boat fuel tank?

Now you tell me...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Default ..... paging Cousin Eddy?

...... what????? ...... no way .......did I ever, ever, ever say to add water into gasoline ......that is probably a good way to demolish a piston because the water will not vaporize/explode like gasoline ...... it had to be someone else who came up with that comment???

Probably, a 39' rv has a width of 8', since trucks are always 8' wide, so a 39' rv would be 8'x39' size, plus any slide-outs.

Using an old rv for a rental income unit is an interesting idea ...... when that thought hit me .....it was like a 150w light bulb lit up ....or something ..... channeling Cousin Eddie?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-26-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 AM   #20
joey2665

Why engage with FLL when he hijacks a thread?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Nope. Not 8 feet wide

Quote:
.Probably, a 39' rv has a width of 8', since trucks are always 8' wide, so a 39' rv would be 8'x39' size, plus any slide-outs.
No so. Trucks are most always 8'6" wide because that is the legal width limit without special permits. For shippers it is all about the maximum amount they can get into a trailer without exceeding the weight limit.

That is why trailerable boats are usually the same width (102 inches) because that is the maximum legal width without an over width permit. There are obvious exceptions such as go-fast or smaller boats but the vast majority of boats in the 20 to 26 foot range are 8'6"wide.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #22
dpg

Should of maybe worked in the new buy the dealer take it off your hands...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Believe on a semi-tractor trailer rig, the tractor is 8' and the trailer is 8'6" wide, and like you say, the legal limit width for driving on a road is 8'6". Either way, an old rv, 8x39', or 8.5x39', could be big enough for an overnight rental.

Seems like the air-bnb overnight rentals market for tourists could create a market for old destination rv's that could be towed or trucked to their final resting spot in someone's Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront yard, near the main cottage, as a money making daily rental unit. Seems like a good fit ..... hook up the utilities .... spiff it up .... rent it out .... pay those prop taxes ON TIME! .... and say goodbye to 12% late fees from the town.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Should of maybe worked in the new buy the dealer take it off your hands...
That's one of the options we're looking into.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #25
ITD

Quote:
...... what????? ...... no way .......did I ever, ever, ever say to add water into gasoline ......that is probably a good way to demolish a piston because the water will not vaporize/explode like gasoline ...... it had to be someone else who came up with that comment???

Probably, a 39' rv has a width of 8', since trucks are always 8' wide, so a 39' rv would be 8'x39' size, plus any slide-outs.

Using an old rv for a rental income unit is an interesting idea ...... when that thought hit me .....it was like a 150w light bulb lit up ....or something ..... channeling Cousin Eddie?
Oh Less, don't make me go on a mission, maybe it was a ahem, late night post.

Edit:

Found it, lol, I remember one in a talk about superchargers too, was pretty cool going through some of those old threads:

Attached Images

Last edited by ITD; 02-28-2018 at 12:32 AM.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 AM   #26
patman

Fwiw... Water injection is a thing, but it is ***NOT*** done by adding water to the fuel tank.

Some background:

The higher the octane, the *less* volatile the fuel, and the more predictable the burn.

What you want to happen is for the piston to come up in the cylinder, the spark plug ignites the air/fuel mixture at just the right instant, and the resulting combustion forces the piston back down again.

What can happen is preignition, which is the mixture lighting off too soon, before the piston is at the top of the cylinder. That’s the ‘rocks in a coffee can’ sound that means you have too low octane fuel, too much compression, or the spark timing is too soon in the piston cycle. And/or you have too much heat, causing hotspots (carbon buildup or sharp edges) that set the mixture off before the spark plug does.

The trouble is...performance is a fine line. Higher compression ratios and earlier spark timing usually yield higher power. Too much and you get preignition and engine damage.

Higher octane fuels can withstand higher compression ratios (including supercharging) predictably. Predictable burns mean you can push the ignition timing earlier and closer to that hairy edge.

So...water injection...is done by spraying a tiny bit of water into the engine (typically into the area between the air filter and the carb) that does two things: it cools the air/fuel mixture to lower the temps and reduce the chance of hotspots unintentionally igniting the mixture early, plus it has the side effect of literally steam-cleaning the combustion chamber to remove carbon buildup.

Ultimately that allows the use of higher compression and/or earlier ignition timing with fuel that would otherwise have preignited.

This was low-bucked in the 70’s using an extra windshield washer pump when the late-60s cars with high compression couldn’t take the lower octane fuels. Big RV with a big engine going up a hill pinging like crazy? Hit the extra washer button for a bit of relief to make it to the top of the hill. It’s also used to push the hairy edge of performance that tiny but farther.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #27
fatlazyless

....as I grow old and moldy ..... think I'll stick with foam noodles and paddle boards and stay away from gasoline engines ......
Old 03-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #28
swnoel

Quote:
And, your local property taxes over $10,000/year will no longer be deductible off your federal income tax starting for tax year-2018.
Seeing that the standard deduction for 2018 will be $24,000 for married jointly up from $12,700 it really doesn't matter! It will be a boon to me since I haven't been able to itemize for years!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #29
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Seeing that the standard deduction for 2018 will be $24,000 for married jointly up from $12,700 it really doesn't matter! It will be a boon to me since I haven't been able to itemize for years!
Increased standard deduction definitely helps residents, especially those who cannot itemize, in states like NH and Florida that have no state income tax.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Just to add closure to this thread: the dealer included removal of our old RV in the delivery of our new trailer.

Thanks, all!