Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Edward H. Blackstone

The attached image and text-reprinted with permission from the Steamship Historical Society of America-is amazing.

At the age of 12 Mr. Blackstone held the titles of Master, Pilot and Engineer, the first combination license ever granted...to a 12 year old.

Wow.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Edward H. Blackstone.pdf (103.9 KB, 471 views)
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-25-2010), trfour (03-25-2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Chickie

Thank you for posting the article on Edward H. Blackstone. His book, "Farewell Old Mount Washington" prompted me to do a little research of my own a while back. I am wondering if there are any descendants of the Blackstone family still residing in this area? Edward's father, Herbert A., as well as his grandfather and uncle were Boston shipbuilders and well-known for their knowledge and expertise in that area. They built several steamboats which plied the waters of New Hampshire and Herbert was considered by many to be the ablest navigator on the lake.

Herbert A. (born 1858 in Maine) had three sons - Guy A., Edward H. and Herbert W. His first wife was Malvina. His second wife was Mary F. (1886-1965). She was the proprietor of Blackstone's Lunch, Gas & Oil which was located on the Boulevard next to Weirs Bridge. She operated the business until 1945, when it was sold to Paul Binnette and the name changed to Handy Landing. Capt. Herbert A. Blackstone died in 1949 at age 91 and is buried at Bayside Cemetery.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
Tallyho (03-26-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Argie's Wife

A little googling brought me on this auction taking place on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seven-Vintage-St...ht_3054wt_1167

And check out the SIGNED edition of Farewell Old Mount Washington: The story of the steamboat era on Lake Winnipesaukee! How cool is that???
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Blackstone Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
I am wondering if there are any descendants of the Blackstone family still residing in this area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn119 View Post
Long Island House 2006 somewhere I have a picture of when I was a little boy in front of the long island house as well as my mother when she was a little along with my grandfather Edward Blackstone. We were just up last weekend to visit my cousin's who still run the house as a bed & breakfest.
Glenn119 must have some stories and history to share.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Chickie

If Glenn119 is still reading this forum, it certainly would be interesting if he would do some postings about his grandfather, Edward H. and great grandfather, Herbert A. I would love to see the photo he refers to in his post back in 2006. There may be some historical events handed down to him through the generations, which he could share with us regarding his ancestors. Thanks RG and McDude for posting the wonderful photo of the Eagle in my earlier post, "Remembering the Steamboat Era". If we could only go back in time and walk into that scene to meet the cast of characters who were there that day. What a treat that would be! No doubt Capt. Herbert A. Blackstone (the builder), Capt. Charles F. Brown (the owner) and possibly Herbert's father and brother were there on that occasion, as well. It must have been a "big day" in Lakeport, bringing out the multitudes to see it launched.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Default My Book just came in today

I was missing this book from my collection. Found a signed copy of Farewell Old Mount Washington on ebay, came with a package of other steamboat books, some of which I will resell. I am keeping Blackstone's book and one on the Ticonderoga.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Chickie

Default Capt. Sanborn

I don't have my own copy of Edward Blackstone's book and have been wanting to get down to the library to look through it. Wonder if you could check out something for me in your copy? I recall there is a mention of a Capt. Sanborn, who piloted the Lady of the Lake and also the Dover. This was sometime in he 1850's -60's, I believe. Could you see if his first name is mentioned and whether there is other information about him? I am wondering if he was the father of Capt. Charles H. Sanborn (born 1874 - died 1967), who was pilot of the Mt. Washington in the 1920's - 1940's? Charles worked on steamboats in various capacities for 75 years, beginning as a boy, but don't know whether his father worked on the lake, as well.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Capt Sanborn

Mentioned on pg 16. Winborn A Sanborn, succeeded Capt Walker as Captain aboard The Lady of the Lake
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Chickie

Default Capt. Sanborn

Thanks for checking out the information on Capt. Sanborn. It saved me a trip to the library. Once I knew his name, I did a search and found that Capt. Winborn A. Sanborn's father was Samuel Gilman Sanborn, while Capt. Charles H. Sanborn's father was James. May have been related somehow but not father and son.

Thanks again. WeirsBeachBoater
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
WeirsBeachBoater (05-18-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Chickie

Default John Smith Wadleigh

WeirsBeachBoater:

Would you mind checking your copy of “Farewell Old Mount Washington” for me again? Is there any mention of John S. Wadleigh being the pilot of the steamboat Lady of the Lake? He was Winborn A. Sanborn’s son-in-law and became the pilot after Winborn’s retirement or passing. He was mentioned as being the pilot in a newspaper article in 1885. I am interested in learning more about him and the Sanborn / Wadleigh families. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Sorry for the delay

It's been a very busy summer. I will try and thumb through the book tonight and get back to you.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Oletimer

Default Wadleigh/Smith

Chickie,

I wonder if you have seen this web site! May be worth viewing as it does mention Smith in family history for Wadleigh. Good luck. Hope it helps.

Oletimer
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
WeirsBeachBoater

Default there is brief mention

On Page 77 of a J S Wadleigh of the Weirs being in command of the Lady.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Senter Cove Guy

Default Missing A Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletimer View Post
Chickie,

I wonder if you have seen this web site! May be worth viewing as it does mention Smith in family history for Wadleigh. Good luck. Hope it helps.

Oletimer
Did you forget to include a link to the website you mentioned?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Oletimer

Default Edw.Blackstone web site

Senter Cove Guy,

Thanks. Yes, I must have forgotten.Now I can't remember what site it was on! If I come across again I'll send it.Sorry.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote