Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Is Gunstock dismal or what?

Not having anything better to do today, on a rainy-sleety-35-degree day here in beautifull Waterville Valley, NH, I took a look at the www.gunstock.com website, and was slightly surprised to see how bad the report is there.

February 25, 2010 Gunstock conditions as reported

19 out of 55 trails open which is 37%

Feb 17 ........ 6" snow
Feb 24 ........ 6' snow

Base 18-36"
That's pretty bad, just 19 out of 55 open on Feb 25.

Waterville has about 44 out of 52 open, which is hard to believe. It's probably a good idea to not trust ski area reports when conditions head south, especially just before a weekend, when most business occurs.

So, a big hats off to Gunstock, where conditions may be rotten, but at least their website seems to tell the truth and admit this.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
tpabrad

I was just up in the region over the weekend into Tuesday. We went to Gunstock on Monday and conditions then, before the rain of course, were pretty good in my unknowing opinion. I would think the rain would have obliterated everything they had left. Between the warm temps and that, seems like an early ending to the season may be coming?
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
LakesRegionSpirit

I live just down the street from Gunstock. Couldn't tell what the conditions were today-couldn't see the mountain. Totally fogged in. For the second day in a row, they have cancelled the night time "throwdown" events.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Choosing the catchy tagline "Is Gunstock dismal or what?" was a bad choice on my part, and if I were to post it again I think I'd pick something like "Skiing Gunstock" for a title. One has to admire Gunstock for their honesty in posting the number of closed trails as most ski areas would probably bury or hide that info and just keep on pumping some good news.

Here in Waterville, it's slushing heavy outside right now with white precipitate, a snow-rain mix, that's blowing sideways at times. Give 603 236-4404, the WV sno-phone, a call and what do you hear? You hear: "We've got ten inches of snow in the last two days!" ...oh well...gotta be an optimist to keep a ski area going what with this unusual winter weather.

So, three cheers for Gunstock for an honest report and so what if operating with just 37% trails open is more than a little unusual for a February 25 NH ski report!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Choosing the catchy tagline "Is Gunstock dismal or what?" was a bad choice on my part, and if I were to post it again I think I'd pick something like "Skiing Gunstock" for a title. One has to admire Gunstock for their honesty in posting the number of closed trails as most ski areas would probably bury or hide that info and just keep on pumping some good news.

Here in Waterville, it's slushing heavy outside right now with white precipitate, a snow-rain mix, that's blowing sideways at times. Give 603 236-4404, the WV sno-phone, a call and what do you hear? You hear: "We've got ten inches of snow in the last two days!" ...oh well...gotta be an optimist to keep a ski area going what with this unusual winter weather.

So, three cheers for Gunstock for an honest report and so what if operating with just 37% trails open is more than a little unusual for a February 25 NH ski report!
Nice, fair post FLL!

Gunstock is a resort that tells it like it is. Unfortunately, it may be worse in the morning than it was this afternoon.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
4 for Boating

I think I saw at some point today that they closed two major lifts due to ice and such. So, not sure how well they faired with the conditions/rain but I think the minimal trials represent what's left when you close the HS Quad and Pistol lift. Should be interesting to see what the trail count is when/if they open those lifts back up again.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
baygo

Default ouch

I went to gunstock.com and encountered what I refer to as online graffiti with extreme disregard for bandwidth management on the home page. I should have expected such because it seems every ski area has mistaken the internet for the television. One would think that web designers would learn from google's success.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
tpabrad

Heres some interesting info, this morning it was 29 degrees at my house in Tampa, FL while it was a dismal 35 in Wolfeboro! Wow! Talk about backwards
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Shore Driver

The webcam for WV looks like "The Day After Tomorrow" so clearly they recovered with snow after rain. In fact, they may have lost power because no one is there.

Hopefully Gunstock cashed in overnight was well.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Last night's storm of rain, sleet, and high winds apparently switched to all wet snow overnight because this morning there was about six inches of very heavy wet snow, plus the WV electricity went out till about 5-pm today.

The WV ski area has a back-up generator and the main quad lift was the only lift running today and at half the regular speed, but hey it was running so that was good news. Fridays are a twofer, 2 /$67 day so you got one lift at half speed for a twofer-half price.....such a deal!

Just down Route 49 about ten miles at Exit 28 in Campton, the ground looks pretty much brown grass with no snow. Just five miles down Rt 49 from the valley, the ground is looking like almost no snow.

Could be that last night's snow was the heaviest and most durable snow cover so far this season, and who knows, maybe it will hang around till April 5, and really power up the cross country ski trails. Then again, maybe it will melt, and the tennis courts will be bloom'n?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-26-2010 at 08:38 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
fatlazyless

I'm really regretting my choice of 'dismal' for a title here as a dopey choice on my part.....maybe I'm not the britest bulb on the tree sometimes....anyway....having just read CLA's post on the local weather....he mentioned that Randolph got about 39 inches of snow...and Wildcat Mt has a U-Tube video for yesterday's 9-dollar Friday and Wildcat is just down the road from Randolph....any chance someone could post a link here to the Wildcat U-Tube?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
corollaman

might as well just stick a fork in it for this season....this season was a bust as far as I'm concerned. I was gonna actually go out and buy a used sled, but not now. Spending the money on a kayak and summer sports instead!
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
rick35

Passed on Gunstock today thinking conditions might not be that great and went over to Sunapee. Conditions were fantastic with packed powder with several inches new since yesterday. They had a lot of snow this week while the rest of us further south and east were getting washed out. We liked it so much we may head back over next weekend.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post

Passed on Gunstock today thinking conditions might not be that great and went over to Sunapee. Conditions were fantastic with packed powder with several inches new since yesterday. They had a lot of snow this week while the rest of us further south and east were getting washed out.

Last time I checked Gunstock was north of Sunapee. Sunapee has about 400 feet more elevation than Gunstock, however.

I will be at Gunstock on Saturday the 6th with our Boy Scout troop.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
rick35

I was referring to where I live but you're right about Sunapee. We had some snow Friday but it was a washout before that. Lost power Thursday around midnight and didn't get it back until Saturday morning. Looked from the ski reports that there was more snow to the west. Even Crotched Mtn reported heavy snow. I think the elevation in that whole area from Jaffrey up through Sunapee contributed to why they got snow and the Nashua area didn't.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Last time I checked Gunstock was north of Sunapee. Sunapee has about 400 feet more elevation than Gunstock, however.

I will be at Gunstock on Saturday the 6th with our Boy Scout troop.
We get way more snow over here than at Gunstock. I grew up 15 minutes south of Gunstock (my parents still live there) and I am looking at Sunapee through my office window, about 15 minute drive from here.

Last weeks storms, New London received a little over 12" on Wednesday and Thursday's rainy day turned into another 5" of snow at home and in New London. Saturday morning left another 4" on the ground in Andover, NH just to the east of Sunapee and New London. I have about 14" of snow on the ground at my house in Andover as of this morning when I had to brush another half inch or so off the truck before leaving for work.

We do seem to be losing it as fast as we get it though, but it is trying in some spots. The snowmobiles were going all weekend at the end of the road where the trail crosses.

My father in law drove up from the Maine coast on Saturday and didn't bring boots because there was no snow at his house, boy was he suprised when he pulled in the driveway.

Last edited by jmen24; 03-03-2010 at 09:01 AM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
rick35

Saw a guy towing a boat on Rte 93 on my way home from skiing Sunday. Got me thinging that I like boating more than skiing.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
4 for Boating

We skied at Gunstock this past weekend and have to say the conditions were actually good. (Compared to that of the rest I suppose) No loss of power, no crowds to speak of and plenty of snow on the trials.

Having said that, the Sugarloaf area in Maine received over 5 feet of snow over the past few days. Outstanding skiing and I’m sure plenty of snow for snowmobiles.

I guess you need to be at the right place at the right time. The weather pattern is so strange this year.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Saw a guy towing a boat on Rte 93 on my way home from skiing Sunday. Got me thinging that I like boating more than skiing.
I think he got a flat cuz I saw a boat on the side of the southbound lane of 93 about 2:00.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
Formula260SS

We skied the Loaf during school vacation, the snow never let up, it was crazy. That being said it was all up the mountain, once you got off the access road it dimninished pretty quickly.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
gf2020

Great early spring ski conditions at Gunstock yesterday and today!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Formula260SS

We skied Ragged today with pretty good conditions although the lower parking lot was all mud. They should hang on for a while barring any major rain.

Last edited by Formula260SS; 03-07-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
SIKSUKR

Absolutely stellar conditions at Cannon this weekend. It could not get any better than that.Edge to edge perfect snow, big blue skies and warm sun. You non skiers waiting for ice out don't know what your missing. I've already started the summer tan with a very sunburned face. There is no place I would rather be than up on that mountain this time of year. You don't even have to ski. We had 3 people hike past our hangout on top of Cannon on snowshoes enjoying the fabulous weather. Get out there!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
Winni P

Default Do you think Cannon's conditions..

will last for BodeFest on Apr 4th?
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #25
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Absolutely stellar conditions at Cannon this weekend. It could not get any better than that.Edge to edge perfect snow, big blue skies and warm sun. You non skiers waiting for ice out don't know what your missing. I've already started the summer tan with a very sunburned face. There is no place I would rather be than up on that mountain this time of year. You don't even have to ski. We had 3 people hike past our hangout on top of Cannon on snowshoes enjoying the fabulous weather. Get out there!
Couldn't agree more !!! Can't wait for Thursday night, no scohool for the kids Friday and 3 free tickets to Bretton Woods burning a hole in my pocket
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni P View Post
will last for BodeFest on Apr 4th?
Barring some huge rain and heat wave event,there should be no problem getting to Bodefest.The problem might be getting to Bode as this event drew a big crowd last year.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #27
rick35

Went to Gunstock today for what will probably be my last day of skiing for the season. With warm temperatures the conditions turned to mashed potatoes quickly.

I didn't like the conditions but I did like the view (even though it was a little hazey). The ice cover looked pretty thin and it kept me thinking about an early boating season. Left the slopes early afternoon and headed to the Lyon's Den for a beer and take-out dinners and drove by the Weirs and then to Meredith to check out the lake before heading home. Hopefully I'll be back with the boat in a few weeks!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

great pic and nice corderoy!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #29
Rattlesnake Guy

Default I need to learn something new today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
great pic and nice corderoy!
McDude,
What is "nice corderoy!"?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #30
Merrymeeting

The spell checker must have missed this one. I think he meant corduroy.

In skiing, it refers to the conditions you get when a slope has been groomed by machine, like the picture here, or on the lower right side of the photo above. http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/PRE2315.php

The snow looks like corduroy material, until everyone skis it off again.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #31
mcdude

yup.....that's what I meant. Is that how you spell it? This thing has a spellcheck? See, Rattlesnake Guy, we both learned something today!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #32
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
yup.....that's what I meant. Is that how you spell it? This thing has a spellcheck? See, Rattlesnake Guy, we both learned something today!

Thank you both. As the uncontested "worlds worst speller" I am completely understanding. When I do a spell check and get no errors I am concerned that I hit the wrong button.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #33
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Great picture

Rick35. A blast from the past.

I grew up in the area, and grew up on Gunstock as well. A graduate of the Penny Pitou Ski School, I move on to bigger and better mountains after Dick Tapply toned the mountain down and change it to a family ski area. Fletcher Hale is gone and so is Viking. The Precipice was fun when there is enough snow. Hot Shot was one of the best ungroomed challenge in the East. The old double chair was a lot of fun despite the slow ride.

I rarely ski Gunstock. Now that I am unemployed, I may get a season pass at Gunstock and stay close to home. I was hoping they would hire me last fall so that I can enjoy the mountain but it did not happen.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #34
CanisLupusArctos

Default Elevation, elevation, elevation

Elevation has been the key to snowfall since late February. Elevations from 1500 feet and up have been getting mostly snow from all the recent storms. Tuckerman's is loaded with snow. The AMC backcountry conditions report has some very sizeable snow depths reported from their manned backcountry locations. This morning they are reporting 68 inches at Carter Notch Hut, 18 inches at Pinkham Notch, 20 inches in Crawford Notch (rt. 302,) 70 inches at the caretaker cabin in Tuckerman Ravine, and in our own backyard (Alexandria NH) there is 12 inches on the ground at the Cardigan Lodge, elevation 1,392 feet.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
rick35

I've been skiing at Sunapee the last few weeks and decided to give Gunstock a try on Friday. One of the guys from work was going so I figured I'd meet up with him. Sunapee received a bunch of snow a few weeks back when we had all the rain and power outages in Merrimack. I think the weather to the west was a little colder so they got snow. These days the weather is mild everywhere and I didn't think the conditions would be any better at Sunapee.

BH, I thought of you but didn't have your number with me to give you a call to meet for a beer. With the way the ice is melting we'll have an opportunity to connect on the water pretty soon.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #36
mcdude

From Monday's Citizen
Quote:
Snow-covered summit

Monday, March 22, 2010

Bill Hemmel/LakesRegionAerials.com/For The Citizen

The summit of Gunstock shows that while rain fell just about everywhere else in the Lakes Region during last week's storm, on the mountaintop the precipitation fell as snow or sleet. Despite the unusually warm temperatures over this past weekend, the ski area remains open with considerable snow cover, according to its website.