Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Drop Cam

I know a lot has been written about various webcams throughout this forum.

Just have to throw my two cents in for those who may be timid or FEAR technology.

Drop Cam is SIMPLE to set up - if you can insert a plug your all set -- it takes no more than 5 minutes of computer time -- with easy prompts-- to set your cam's name, your personal login and any special functions you may want i.e. motion sense, email alerts, etc.

We bought ours to monitor (visually) the heat in our new Condo and was totally blown away with the easy set up, cam definition, zoom capability and night vision.

All you need is an active WiFi, and outlet within 10' of the camera (I suppose you could use an extension cord). The cam can be accessed remotely on smart phones/ tablets or PC's.

Note: DropCam is NOT exterior weather rated --- but a well positioned window solves that if desired.

One Cool feature- Two way audio! You not only can see everything but also hear and if desired talk via the cam from remote devices like iPhone -- Scared the HELL out of my wife when I said "Good Morning" to her (from Europe) as she was getting her morning coffee

Blue Thunder (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
8gv

Where did you purchase the drop cam?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Phantom

I got mine online ..... www.dropcam.com

But have since found they are available at Best Buy.

I don't think "shopping around" for this will yield a better price -- seems they have the "Apple" mentality of holding pricing firm regardless of channel of distribution. Amazon pricing was the same.

there are only two models -- "Pro" roughly $199 & standard roughly $149

to save you time --Major differences between two are
Field of Vision 130 deg vs. 107 (not a big deal)
Zoom: 8x vs. 4x (another not a big deal)
Pro (supposedly) has better night vision -- from experience, our "Pro" is EXCELLANT at night vision
I do not believe STD has motion or sound email alert capability

I do not believe the Standard has any Audio capability and the "Pro" WiFi connection is supposedly (??) better

Old 10-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Blue Thunder

Do you need a PC to set it up or can an IPad be used?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Phantom

I believe a PC is required --

I don't recall any tablet option as initially you plug the Drop cam (via USB) into the PC for a short initialization program that calibrates the drop cam to your Wifi .... you identify which Wifi to use and the appropriate password, assign a cam name & password, any settings that you may want like motion detection area, email alert setting (email addy) -- which all can be done or modified later-- then you can place it remotely.

The cam has a 10' USB cord with wall adaptor (like phones) for power

Blue Thunder (10-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Macs Wholesale through Amazon has the Pro right now for $177.
Phantom (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Phantom

BLUE THUNDER --

I may be mistaken -- It appears from the web "technical info" that you can initialize it from an iOS device.

http://support.dropcam.com/entries/2...chnical-Specs-

Again - I used a laptop and had it up in running in less than (literally) 5 minutes. Would have been faster but I read each prompt in detail.

If seriously interested -- here's another helpful page http://support.dropcam.com/forums/20...s-and-Settings

Old 10-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Impressive!

Thanks to this thread, I purchased a Dropcam to try out and must say I am really impressed thus far.

The ease of setup and connectivity is super simple! Anyone can do it! The many user functions and ability to adjust these functions remotely is another key feature I love!

You do need at least .5 MBPS upload speed for the camera to function on High def. On the island I have barely .5 MBPS and so far the majority of the time the camera works great. Sometimes during peak hours it will reload constantly which is no big deal to me. You can remotely put it on standard definition mode which will reduce your bandwidth usage and the camera will function normally.

The camera does have a 8x zoom feature which is really pretty useless as the picture gets way to grainy with the slightest amount of zoom. The zoom probably works better indoors with objects closer to the camera.

For those of you on limited bandwidth I believe these might work as you can shut the camera off remotely and turn on only when you want to check on things. No, you will not have any "cloud" recording or history but at least if your using it like me, you can "check on things" when you want.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on these!

Dan
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Dad sold the C * C

Default Don't unplug them

Just learned this the hard way. I set the camera up last week and when I got up here on Saturday I unplugged it. Getting ready to leave today and plugged it back in; checked my phone app and it says the camera is not connected.

I don't have my laptop so I tried a Microsoft Surface RT that we leave up here and that will not run the setup software I guess you are supposed to use the app to turn it off and hope your wife doesn't turn it on
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
Just learned this the hard way. I set the camera up last week and when I got up here on Saturday I unplugged it. Getting ready to leave today and plugged it back in; checked my phone app and it says the camera is not connected.

I don't have my laptop so I tried a Microsoft Surface RT that we leave up here and that will not run the setup software I guess you are supposed to use the app to turn it off and hope your wife doesn't turn it on
You should be able to access your camera and its settings via the web from any computer, lap top, tablet, smart phone etc. I know I can.

Go to Dropcams web site and log in. Your camera should come right up, then turn it on in the settings...

Dan
Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Dad sold the C * C

I think the camera lost the password to the wireless. I know when I set it up I unplugged it and moved it to a different location, but that was very quick. It was working fine until Saturday when I unplugged it from the wall; a while after that i got an email saying the camera was off line. I put the app on my iPhone and I could control it fine. I'll bring the laptop up this weekend and test it.

Other than that it is going to do what we need for now and as you noted, it was easy to set up.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
The camera does have a 8x zoom feature which is really pretty useless as the picture gets way to grainy with the slightest amount of zoom. The zoom probably works better indoors with objects closer to the camera.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on these!

Dan
ishoot -- use the "enhance" funtion" its a little "magic wand" icon .... this freezes the image, but enhances the vid capture.

In my case i am monitoring heat in our new condo -- I have a simple outdoor thermometer in cam view ... if i "enhance" the video (freezes it) I can actually discern every little hashmark on the thermoter some 25' away. BUT be sure to go back to normal view when done -- simply hit the same icon again

and ... your welcome ... I was blown away by this device as well 9bought a second and is now linked to the same account

ishoot308 (10-24-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
depasseg

Love my dropcam, and I really wanted one for outside. I followed this guide using some PVC pipe, and while it's not supported by dropcam, it's been working for a couple years.

http://jamiemoney.com/blog/2013/7/11...istant-dropcam

Enjoy!

PS - I've never seen one lose a network password or settings (I've had one unplugged for 8 months, turned it on and it connected). But I have noticed that they aren't terribly strong at picking up distant wi-fi signals.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Phantom

Thanks for the Link ---

I was just about to comment that it is "weatherproof" against the elements but would not stand up to the low temperatures of NH winters ..... that got answered in the very last sentence of the link

Old 11-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
Love my dropcam, and I really wanted one for outside. I followed this guide using some PVC pipe, and while it's not supported by dropcam, it's been working for a couple years.

http://jamiemoney.com/blog/2013/7/11...istant-dropcam

Enjoy!

PS - I've never seen one lose a network password or settings (I've had one unplugged for 8 months, turned it on and it connected). But I have noticed that they aren't terribly strong at picking up distant wi-fi signals.
Thanks for the info!! I ordered what is a called a "drop case" for outside use at dropcases.com. I believe they are now made in Germany. It has not come in yet but I have read good things about it on line. For this winter my camera is in a window and so far it's been great!!

Dan
Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
depasseg

Mine has worked fine outside for 2 winters. In fact the link I posted, talks about use down to 3 degrees F.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
A&B_Lock_NH

Default Weatherized Cameras

With so many great affordable camera options out there these days for home owner as, please remember for more complex and exterior systems locals installers make it easy. Seen these systems before with other customers and they all have had great success with them.

We offer complete camera systems and custom solutions for all your camera system and recording needs. If you just need repair on an existing, upgrading, or a new one quoted or installed give us a call. We truly enjoy challenges to fit budgets and needs.

Brian
A&B_Lock_NH is offline   Reply With Quote