Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
feb

Default Alpine Touring

I'm getting interested in Alpine Touring Skiing (skiing/hiking up hill and then skiing down with locked bindings) and am researching starter equipment. Was wondering what suggestions people have with regards to where to do this. Many ski areas allow this "uphill skiing" but am more interested in the smaller hills in the Lakes Region, maybe something you hike 30-60 minutes, ski down, and repeat a couple of times. Some of the trail sections on the back of Mt Major may be good candidates.

Anybody doing this in the Lakes Region area .vs. heading to the Whites? Any spots you are willing to share?
feb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Gunstock

I believe the rock pile has a ski touring event. Let's you try out skiing on either telemark or alpine skis with 'skins'.

I was looking at the 'skins' at the Glen XC shop a couple of weeks ago. I kind of like the idea but only on telemark skis rather than alpine. I occasionally XC as well as alpine.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I've seen quite a few people doing this on the Belknap and White Mountain trails. In fact, someone posted a video of the Tripyramids a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Here you go! https://m.facebook.com/groups/163169...56932539728493

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
feb (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
NH.Solar

Default Try Cannon

OK, admittedly it is a bit of a drive but the view alone would make it worth it.
I ski there regularly and there is never a day goes by when I don't see folks skiing up the Ravine and Vistaway trails. Ravine is a steady moderate climb on a constantly groomed trail with snowmaking and hiking up for 60 minutes should get you at least halfway up. Vistaway is a trail at the top that puts you into what seems like an arms reach to Lafayette. Not sure about the cost for a touring pass, but if you are 65 and a NH resident the downhill pass is free The Cannon ski patrol is not only extremely proficient they are also extremely hands off during the week and unless you are being a total jerk nobody will bother you. Be aware though that during the weekdays the Cannon regulars tend to cruise fast and straight down the fall line but are usually in total control ...well almost always, sometimes the need for speed overcomes good sense YEEEHA!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Flyfisha

Default Cannon

Do it right and you’ll never have an issue. Info below

https://www.cannonmt.com/mountain/uphill-policy

https://www.gunstock.com/about/policies/

HAVE FUN!
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
Be aware though that during the weekdays the Cannon regulars tend to cruise fast and straight down the fall line but are usually in total control ...YEEEHA!
Sounds like your talking about me.haha. We love to crank high speed turns. The uphill pass is $15 and there is a designated route. Please stay on it and single file only.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
fltsimguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
I'm getting interested in Alpine Touring Skiing (skiing/hiking up hill and then skiing down with locked bindings) and am researching starter equipment. Was wondering what suggestions people have with regards to where to do this. Many ski areas allow this "uphill skiing" but am more interested in the smaller hills in the Lakes Region, maybe something you hike 30-60 minutes, ski down, and repeat a couple of times. Some of the trail sections on the back of Mt Major may be good candidates.

Anybody doing this in the Lakes Region area .vs. heading to the Whites? Any spots you are willing to share?
I did some light touring at Gunstock. Hike up Try Me (see map below) towards the cell tower. You can then traverse across the ridge up to the summit, and then ski down. Not the Whites by any measure but a fun little tour, especially for beginners.
Attached Images

fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fltsimguy For This Useful Post:
feb (03-08-2019)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
betterthanbacon

Default Tenney Mt.

With the bad snow we have at this time I would recommend skinning/skiing on groomed terrain. Tenney is low key old school. Skinning up is free just make sure you go up their designated uphill route. Get to the top and go into the lift shack they will give you a token for a free chair ride. Cool Stuff.
Enjoy your turns.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betterthanbacon For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-26-2020), feb (01-26-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Here you go! https://m.facebook.com/groups/163169...56932539728493

What isn't mentioned, but is shown at the very end in this video link is this 12-mile long ski journey, 6-out uphill and 6-back downhill starts and ends at the Livermore Rd, USFS parking lot in the north side of Waterville Valley.

With a $30/year WMNF windshield sticker, or $5/day cash/trail head pay box payment, everyone in the car gets to either cross country ski, walk or fat tire bicycle the seven miles of snow covered multiple use trails that belong to the Forest Service in close proximity to the Waterville groomed ski trails ($22/person/day).

About one time per year, someone will give me a very strong admonishment for walking along the side of what seems to them to be a tracked cross country ski trail, the Livermore Rd, and I usually snap nasty right back at them and say something like 'this is a multi-use trail that includes walking and bicycling and is not just a cross country ski trail, so take that and stick it in your cross country ski boot!.' .... ho-ho-ho

Understand Gov Sununu and the governor of Arizona are trying to get the Forest Service to allow electric motor bicycles on trails like the Livermore Rd WMNF-multi use trail. The sign on the Livermore Rd closed and locked, entry vehicle road gate, says "No motorized vehicles-$250 fine" and has been there for many years.

http://www.governor.nh.gov/news-medi...10-e-bikes.htm

Is there a fat tire, 4.8" tire width, electric motor, e-bicycle that's good to go on the snow covered Forest Service multi use trails?

Snowmobiles are banned, so what's the difference between a snowmobile and an electric, fat tire bicycle?

A motor is a motor is a motor ..... whether gasoline, electric or steam-nuclear powered ..... is still a motor.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-27-2020 at 04:29 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote