Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2024, 03:42 PM   #1
WinniVoyager

Default HOA Forums

Does anyone know of a site for discussing HOA related topics? I'm having some difficulties with my HOA and was looking for guidance on how to handle the topic.

Thanks in advance.
WinniVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:52 PM   #2
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniVoyager View Post
Does anyone know of a site for discussing HOA related topics? I'm having some difficulties with my HOA and was looking for guidance on how to handle the topic.

Thanks in advance.
There's no shortage of advice on this forum! However, you get what you pay for.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:35 PM   #3
songkrai

The bottom line is to never buy into any HOA housing development.

https://www.hoatalk.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

We call them the HOA Nasi's.
Self appointed monitors that drive around to find HOA rules violations.
Then report them.

But each HOA has a "constitution" under various names. And probably no buyer reads before buying property in an HOA. Sometimes called Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs)

Some of the smaller ones just have elected homeowners. While the larger ones will have a management company. The management company may have an attorney on contract.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:55 PM   #4
The Real BigGuy

I think that’s the problem. People buy property subject to an HOA, get a copy of the rules, covenants, etc to review before the finalize the sale and choose not to read them and then sign the documents that say they received and reviewed them and understand that they are bound by them. Then they think that they shouldn’t be held to them.

Unfortunately, the time to object or negotiate is before you sign. Once you sign you are bound by them and could end up in court with the HOA sueing to enforce.

It really is simple - If you don’t want to be bound by HOA rules, don’t buy a property subject to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-27-2024), Witch One (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 07:16 PM   #5
John Mercier

Just for the record...
Having a ''problem'' with the HOA doesn't allows mean the property owner doesn't want to follow the rules.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2024, 12:31 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default More info?

You'll get better comments/advice on this Forum if you can clarify "problems with the HOA" as being the management, the rules, the board of directors (one director?) or something very specific that isn't in the by-laws. Many sets of by-laws are cut and paste from some other HOA and may not really apply. Read them at least three times.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:56 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Many sets of by-laws are cut and paste from some other HOA and may not really apply. Read them at least three times.
That is true with a lot of legal work in most categories but you wouldn't know that by looking at the billing.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (03-29-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 07:39 AM   #8
Dick52

Default By-laws...don't make me laugh

I live in an HOA. I know the by-laws inside out. Will the HOA follow the by-laws? Nope they do what they want regardless. People will say well they cannot do that. Oh yes they can unless you decide to hire a lawyer and sue them. That might get you relief but at what $$$ cost.

HOA are run by little people who either never had any power in their lives but now want to rule over their neighbors or they are people who indeed did hold some power and are now retired but want to maintain that power so they run for BOD and rule the neighborhood.

Not buying into HOA is problematic because so many exist.

Best advice is to find an attorney who specializes in these issues but don't expect the HOA to comply with the law...after all they can spend all of the HOA's monies to fight you off while they personally attack you as the problem, telling the membership any lie the fits their need.
Dick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:26 AM   #9
phoenix

It would be helpful at least for me when this is settled what bills passed.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:23 AM   #10
ApS

Question Not HOA, Just Curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick52 View Post
I live in an HOA. I know the by-laws inside out. Will the HOA follow the by-laws? Nope they do what they want regardless. People will say well they cannot do that. Oh yes they can unless you decide to hire a lawyer and sue them. That might get you relief but at what $$$ cost. HOA are run by little people who either never had any power in their lives but now want to rule over their neighbors or they are people who indeed did hold some power and are now retired but want to maintain that power so they run for BOD and rule the neighborhood. Not buying into HOA is problematic because so many exist.

Best advice is to find an attorney who specializes in these issues but don't expect the HOA to comply with the law...after all they can spend all of the HOA's monies to fight you off while they personally attack you as the problem, telling the membership any lie the fits their need.
If you're living in an HOA, will the Board support the HOA homeowner with a squatter issue?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:33 AM   #11
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
The bottom line is to never buy into any HOA housing development.

https://www.hoatalk.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

We call them the HOA Nasi's.
Self appointed monitors that drive around to find HOA rules violations.
Then report them.

But each HOA has a "constitution" under various names. And probably no buyer reads before buying property in an HOA. Sometimes called Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs)

Some of the smaller ones just have elected homeowners. While the larger ones will have a management company. The management company may have an attorney on contract.

We have the opposite problem. Our elected homeowners' HOA doesn't like to police the community.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:26 PM   #12
codeman671

There are plenty of good groups on Facebook.

The attorney that represents Gilford Yacht Club would be a good one to reach out to should you need to take it to the next level.

Robert E. Ducharme, Esq.
Ducharme Law, P.L.L.C.
72 Portsmouth Avenue, Suite 101
Stratham, NH 03885
www.newhampshirecondolaw.com
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:58 PM   #13
camp guy

Default HOA Forums

Welcome to the Winnipesaukee Forum.
With respect to discussing HOA issues, I would suggest, with all due respect, that this may not be the best place to do so. HOA issues are generally very specific to a particular HOA, and the advice from this Forum might be very accurate and true, but not to your HOA. All too often someone posts a question or situation (about anything), but the information isn't specific enough to produce an answer to the question or situation. Having been in an HOA, I found the best avenue was to confront the HOA governing Board directly. This isn't always the most amicable avenue, but it does put you face to face with the answer to your question of situation.
Good luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:01 AM   #14
The Real BigGuy

Default HOA Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick52 View Post
I live in an HOA. I know the by-laws inside out. Will the HOA follow the by-laws? Nope they do what they want regardless. People will say well they cannot do that. Oh yes they can unless you decide to hire a lawyer and sue them. That might get you relief but at what $$$ cost.

HOA are run by little people who either never had any power in their lives but now want to rule over their neighbors or they are people who indeed did hold some power and are now retired but want to maintain that power so they run for BOD and rule the neighborhood.

Not buying into HOA is problematic because so many exist.

If you disagree with how your HOA is run, run for a spot on the board at the next election. Having been an association board member in the past I can attest to the fact that it is a time consuming, aggravating, and thankless task, and my association was full of really nice, good people.

It seems that people, in general, are very good about complaining about things but are generally not inclined to be part of a solution. You also need to understand that a lot of association board members end up as such because no one else wants the position.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:11 AM   #15
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
If you're living in an HOA, will the Board support the HOA homeowner with a squatter issue?
One of the issues is that in a lot of states (I am unsure about NH) there is little you can do to evict a squatter. I believe that a board would “support” the homeowner but, they may leave the actual financial & legal responsibility to the homeowner.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:01 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

The responsibility for evicting a squatter, or a deadbeat tenant, falls on the homeowner. The HOA will not get involved. Sadly, it takes about 3 to 4 months to evict a squatter and 95% of the time you will never recover any overdue rent.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-30-2024)