Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
winterh

Default roofing price

Thinking of doing a new asphalt shingle roof. I know there have been many threads on this in past but prices so crazy now I am sure any numbers are far outdated. Simple gable form. No dormers, low pitch. Any one have a rough idea of price per square including removal of old shingles? Thats assuming I can even find someone who can do it in the next year.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
Thinking of doing a new asphalt shingle roof. I know there have been many threads on this in past but prices so crazy now I am sure any numbers are far outdated. Simple gable form. No dormers, low pitch. Any one have a rough idea of price per square including removal of old shingles? Thats assuming I can even find someone who can do it in the next year.
With a son that is a roofer, it isn't so simple to compare price points. You may get varying price points. But you need to get into the nuts and bolts, beyond just removing the old roof, and installing the new roof.... Additional questions to be considered are as follows:

- Once the old roof is off, how much work is going to be needed for repairs
- how far up is ice and water shield going to be used
- beyond the ice and watershield what is going to be used as underlayment
- what shingles are going to be used.
- does any flashing need to be re-work/replaced
Old 04-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
MotorHead

Considering it is the lake region, this is how much it is going to cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrq-NaCsts
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
JTA (04-15-2021), WinnisquamZ (04-14-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #4
swnoel

Most contractors are out straight now and if you can get one to respond are throwing out crazy numbers not expecting the job. I went clamming with a contractor friend yesterday and he told me things are insane now. He even said that no one should even be thinking about building a new home today with prices so inflated.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-15-2021), dykg (04-19-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Most contractors are out straight now and if you can get one to respond are throwing out crazy numbers not expecting the job. I went clamming with a contractor friend yesterday and he told me things are insane now. He even said that no one should even be thinking about building a new home today with prices so inflated.
The problems is Lakes Region Contractors always operate in that mode. Three are so few of them.

As far as building a new home I agree with your friend. Contractors are getting a premium at this time....And they are going to whom ever is willing to pay the most.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
MotorHead

A plumber, electrician, carpenter, landscaper, appliance repair person should not be making as much as a radiologist, attorney, engineer etc. then have the chutzpah to deny $15.00 min wage for the fast food workers.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
kwvining (04-27-2021), welch100 (05-30-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
A plumber, electrician, carpenter, landscaper, appliance repair person should not be making as much as a radiologist, attorney, engineer etc. then have the chutzpah to deny $15.00 min wage for the fast food workers.
Not saying I disagree with your radiologist analogy, but Much Much more skilled and education required along with licenses and insurance than a person at McDonalds that can't get a burger order right. And could be life or death with people's home and financial well being
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Having completed or should I say payed for a complete roof job a few years back. I would advise you select a known one in the area and book it. Prices will vary, but not by that much. As others have written, things will be found that need repair as they remove the existing roof which will add to the final price. My estimate was 18k with a final price of 26k. Both metal and fiberglass. New drip edges and gutters. Cricket repair and skylight removal. Waited 6 months and happy with the results

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
ApS

Question Unclear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Having completed or should I say payed for a complete roof job a few years back. I would advise you select a known one in the area and book it. Prices will vary, but not by that much. As others have written, things will be found that need repair as they remove the existing roof which will add to the final price. My estimate was 18k with a final price of 26k. Both metal and fiberglass. New drip edges and gutters. Cricket repair and skylight removal. Waited 6 months and happy with the results
What is involved with "cricket repair"?

The skylight leaked?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
WinnisquamZ

The cricket is the raised backside of your chimney. Small flashing leak caused rot. The skylight was 22 years old. Replace with new or remove all together. Was never a fan of where it was placed when original installed, but had no say at the time. Also, we added ice and shield over the entire roof not just 6 feet up. Also, new vent boots all round. Little added cost but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I had my roof done 5 years ago. I found Lakes region roofers to be very expensive. I got roofers from Ma to come up and do the roof, 10 guys, 1 day, done. I supplied the dumpster from Dumpster Depot. I was getting prices at that time of 12 to 14K, had it done for 8K.
They are all busy today so you probably couldn't get them to drive up for a job now.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-16-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
MotorHead (04-16-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
Loub52

2016: 12 pitch, 1200 sq ft, chimney demo (transitioning to LP gas), wall plate repair, private contractor, IKO Harvard Slate, $8k
The Following User Says Thank You to Loub52 For This Useful Post:
winterh (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #13
winterh

Thanks Lou. I don't even want to think about how much prices have gone up since 2016
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #14
Loub52

Quote:
Thanks Lou. I don't even want to think about how much prices have gone up since 2016
Crazy high. Just received a quote for a 430 sq ft deck stain job (2 coats), 40% of it is new decking, but lots of 1x spindles, $2,200. I’ll take 3 weeks part time and do it myself.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:58 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
Crazy high. Just received a quote for a 430 sq ft deck stain job (2 coats), 40% of it is new decking, but lots of 1x spindles, $2,200. I’ll take 3 weeks part time and do it myself.
Crazy high everywhere. We just blew $18k for an 8x10 full bathroom remodel and were quoted $8k to replace the decking and railings on a 14x16 deck.

Unless it's an emergency, I'd think it would make sense to hold off a bit. It's an unsustainable system right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #16
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

My next door neighbor in Waltham just had a bath remodel and walk in closet, 31K.

Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #17
swnoel

At nearly $8 for a 2x4x8 it doesn’t take long to add up, fortunately the government says there’s no inflation! I wonder how bad it will be when they do?
Old 04-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Not saying I disagree with your radiologist analogy, but Much Much more skilled and education required along with licenses and insurance than a person at McDonalds that can't get a burger order right. And could be life or death with people's home and financial well being
Very true and not only that when you consider the trades, there is a TON of overhead with tool and equipment costs that can easily reach in to the millions of dollars. Plus there are annual costs for licensing and code training and so forth. Never mind these blue collar jobs are not something just anyone can do either.

Some seem to forget that the cost of overhead is worked into the numbers and that the guy doing the work is paid a fraction of that.

Not to disparage a fast food worker, but lets be real - that is unskilled labor and anyone trying to make a career out of a job like that can look at themselves in the mirror as to why they are struggling in life. $15.00 an hour will do nothing to make their situation any better. Getting themselves educated or work themselves into an actual skilled career will. Even if that is working their way up into a higher position at a fast food joint.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
christo1 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #19
TheProfessor

Quote:
Choose your shingle brand closely.
Keep all receipts.

I have had two premature failures with roof shingles in the past 3 decades.
Check the warranties.
Only the shingles are warranted. So money back is only for the shingles and not the labor.

All/most carpenters do roofs. Some better then others.

Also ask if the person that you are talking to is the actual person doing the work. Some will take a job and sub it out to someone else.

As to finding one. Stop into the local lumber yards/building supply and ask.

Note. Having a relative employed in a legal office. More than a few Certified Letters are sent to dedicated roofing companies.

The last roof I had done - I used ice/water shield for entire roof. I also used architectural shingles as opposed to 3 tab.

Last edited by TheProfessor; 04-16-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Barking dog.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Choose your shingle brand closely.
Keep all receipts.

I have had two premature failures with roof shingles in the past 3 decades.
Check the warranties.
Only the shingles are warranted. So money back is only for the shingles and not the labor.

All/most carpenters do roofs. Some better then others.

Also ask if the person that you are talking to is the actual person doing the work. Some will take a job and sub it out to someone else.

As to finding one. Stop into the local lumber yards/building supply and ask.

Note. Having a relative employed in a legal office. More than a few Certified Letters are sent to dedicated roofing companies.

The last roof I had done - I used ice/water shield for entire roof. I also used architectural shingles as opposed to 3 tab.
All of the organic shingles had that problem. And good luck trying to get some money back.

Shingles are very high now as is everything else and also hard to get.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #21
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
All of the organic shingles had that problem. And good luck trying to get some money back.

Shingles are very high now as is everything else and also hard to get.
Did get my money back as I had receipts.
Only the cost of the actual roof shingles.
They sent out an adjuster.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:50 AM   #22
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Did get my money back as I had receipts.
Only the cost of the actual roof shingles.
They sent out an adjuster.

We had to go through so much crap, I said had I known I never would have bothered. Roof slopes, more roof slopes etc. The process took about a year before they finally had everything they wanted. Had I known when I began I wouldn't have bothered. My neighbors said the same thing.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:57 AM   #23
tis

Notices are coming out from all of the vendors/suppliers of shortages and price increases.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #24
swnoel

But there isn't any inflation? The media and the Fed say so....
Old 04-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #25
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
But there isn't any inflation? The media and the Fed say so....
Is it even possible to know one way or another during a pandemic?

Also, it's interesting how different products have different narratives. When people talk about the costs of docks/boats, etc. increasing, it's in terms of "supply and demand" capitalism, but when home products are discussed, it's inflation.

Knowing which is true is not in my skill set, but I'm confident enough to think these markets can't continue on the way they have been forever.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #26
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
but I'm confident enough to think these markets can't continue on the way they have been forever.

Just tap your heels together and believe...
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Kingfisher (04-18-2021)