Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Wreckn1

Default so what does it take...........

so i am kinda interested in "learning" i guess to dive, just wondering what does it cost for a class, avg. price of equipment, figured i would rent for awhile? and any other info that would be great.
Wreckn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Default Start With The Basics

Check with Dive Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro (603-569-8080). I think the Open Water Diver Course is around $400. You will need to buy your own fins, boots, mask, snorkel and regulator mouthpieces. Dive Winni will give you a package price. The next regularly scheduled Open Water Diver class will start in late June.

Renting dive equipment is a good way to get started but you will quickly realize that buying a wetsuit will be something you'll want to do for personal comfort.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Learning to dive

Having a hard time to know where to begin so I will keep it short:

1) Start by doing some serious snorkeling; If you get the feeling that it would be very nice to be able to stay down longer and/or go deeper, consider scuba diving;

2) Find a dive shop-starting with Winni Divers in W'Boro (or elsewhere) and ask about intro pool courses (short money) designed solely to introduce you to what it's like to be breathing underwater-hardly a natural reaction for many people-but in say 10 feet of water max. in the pool, without subscribing at that point to the BOW course (Beginning Open Water); If you like it there you'll prob. like it elsewhere, but that's not a guarantee-why?

Because in a pool you can see everything, know you're in shallow water and have a pro next to you, and you're in warm water; Take away those 3 variables then re-evaluate when you're in 40 feet of Winni water;

3) Renting is a good way to go as long as...your gear fits you correctly-not the least of which is your mask; A leaking mask will drive you nuts, because diving is a very visual experience, plus the fact it's just really really annoying to have to continually clear your mask, even if you know how to do so effectively.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
If you like it there you'll prob. like it elsewhere, but that's not a guarantee-why?

Because in a pool you can see everything, know you're in shallow water and have a pro next to you, and you're in warm water; Take away those 3 variables then re-evaluate when you're in 40 feet of Winni water;
Sooooo true. I've known a few folks who were gung-ho at the outset -- going so far as to buy nearly everything (usually at this particular shop's recommendation/discount) before they were a few weeks into a ten-week pool course. When they got into the "real water" and decided it was too cold, too murky, their ears couldn't equalize, the visibility sucked, they didn't like being deep, they put their gear up for sale.

But, chances are if you have the itch, you'll like it. Or love it.