Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Loons getting shot

Animal lovers please take note of this message from F&G; While it's titled "Poachers" to me it's some real maggots shooting these amazing birds. Please be vigilant and report anything that doesn't look right.

From NH F&G:
Lt. Heidi Murphy: 603-271-3127
Fish and Game Dispatch: 603-271-3361
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
May 23, 2014

PUBLIC'S HELP SOUGHT IN FINDING LOON POACHERS

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers are seeking help from the public in identifying suspects who were involved with shooting loons in two separate incidents this week.

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014, N.H. Fish and Game officials were given information that a loon was found wounded in a field near the Cocheco River in Dover. The loon was taken to an emergency veterinary hospital, where X-rays revealed that the bird had been shot. Currently, the loon is being cared for and expected to be released back into the wild.

In a second incident on May 20, 2014, another loon was found dead on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford near Varney Point. It was later confirmed that the loon had been shot and killed.

N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers and a US Fish and Wildlife Officer are currently investigating both shootings. It has not been determined whether these two incidents are connected in any manner.

The Common Loon (Gavia immer) is protected by both state and federal law under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. In New Hampshire, the Common Loon is listed as a threatened species, making it a misdemeanor if someone were to injure or shoot a loon; even to attempt to do so would violate the law.

Anyone with information that may be relevant to these cases is asked to call N.H. Fish and Game’s Dispatch at 603-271-3361 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), OR contact Operation Game Thief (anytime) at 1-800-344-4262 or via the Operation Game Thief website, http://www.huntnh.com/OGT. Callers may choose to remain anonymous, and all information is welcome.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
pjard

Dirt bags! Why would anyone shoot a Loon?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Lin

I just saw this on cnn and was going to post same. What a shame we have now lost another loon and one is in recovery Sad people do this
Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
gnemiccolo

because the world is full of stupid people. unfortunately.
gnemiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

Just a misdemeanor for shooting them. That is ridiculous!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Misha888

Default First I've heard of this . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Animal lovers please take note of this message from F&G; While it's titled "Poachers" to me it's some real maggots shooting these amazing birds. Please be vigilant and report anything that doesn't look right.

From NH F&G:
Lt. Heidi Murphy: 603-271-3127
Fish and Game Dispatch: 603-271-3361
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
May 23, 2014

PUBLIC'S HELP SOUGHT IN FINDING LOON POACHERS

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers are seeking help from the public in identifying suspects who were involved with shooting loons in two separate incidents this week.

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014, N.H. Fish and Game officials were given information that a loon was found wounded in a field near the Cocheco River in Dover. The loon was taken to an emergency veterinary hospital, where X-rays revealed that the bird had been shot. Currently, the loon is being cared for and expected to be released back into the wild.

In a second incident on May 20, 2014, another loon was found dead on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford near Varney Point. It was later confirmed that the loon had been shot and killed.

N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers and a US Fish and Wildlife Officer are currently investigating both shootings. It has not been determined whether these two incidents are connected in any manner.

The Common Loon (Gavia immer) is protected by both state and federal law under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. In New Hampshire, the Common Loon is listed as a threatened species, making it a misdemeanor if someone were to injure or shoot a loon; even to attempt to do so would violate the law.

Anyone with information that may be relevant to these cases is asked to call N.H. Fish and Game’s Dispatch at 603-271-3361 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), OR contact Operation Game Thief (anytime) at 1-800-344-4262 or via the Operation Game Thief website, http://www.huntnh.com/OGT. Callers may choose to remain anonymous, and all information is welcome.
We live on Varney Point and it is really quiet during the week. I'm heart broken and will be more heartbroken if it's one of the pairs that linger in Smith Cove. I did see one this morning, but it's so busy out there that I didn't bother to take notice where the other one was.

I am really in disbelief, though I know it's real.
Misha888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Sad

Sad to say but nothing surprises me anymore. The boat ramp at Marine Patrol is a very busy spot with lot's of "In and Out" fishermen every day.

I would be will to bet it was someone that had a Loon bothering his fishing, so he just used the 38 caliber solution.

Don't waste your time calling me anti gun.. I'm not. I'm anti STUPID.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
We live on Varney Point and it is really quiet during the week. I'm heart broken and will be more heartbroken if it's one of the pairs that linger in Smith Cove. I did see one this morning, but it's so busy out there that I didn't bother to take notice where the other one was.

I am really in disbelief, though I know it's real.
The missing one could just be nesting now-let's hope. (They take turns on the nest but you could be seeing only one at a time.)
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Pineedles

SteveA, how did you know it was a .38 Cal. I didn't read that in the NH F&G new release. If it was, then even more stupid in firing a projectile so close to the water, "skimming" could happen and the bullet could have travelled in an unintended direction and possibly injured someone. As a 2nd Amendment supporter stories like this makes my blood boil.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
jetlag100

So, sad, that a person could just go ahead ,and do this...to me, that's just evil. Some are sicker than others.....
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Misha888

Default Here is a more comprehensive article

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...RE03/140529372

The loon in Dover survived, though they're keeping the bullet in the body.

Haven't heard or seen the loons this morning.

I'll have better luck after tomorrow to evaluate where they lovely couple are and how they're doing.

& I knew that there were few Loons in NH, but 268 pairs was a real eye opener for me when I read it.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Sad to say but nothing surprises me anymore. The boat ramp at Marine Patrol is a very busy spot with lot's of "In and Out" fishermen every day.

I would be will to bet it was someone that had a Loon bothering his fishing, so he just used the 38 caliber solution.

Really? You blame fishermen for this??

No chance it could be some punk kid from loser parents waiting for their next crack hit right??...

Hmmm, I thought you were smarter than that Steve...

Dan
glennsteely (05-29-2015)
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Misha888

Default In looking at things . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Really? You blame fishermen for this??

No chance it could be some punk kid from loser parents waiting for their next crack hit right??...

Hmmm, I thought you were smarter than that Steve...

Dan
He may not be far off. Who knows where the Loon was shot, but there are a lot of Yahoo's (aka fishermen) who have bad attitudes that will argue with you if you don't like the fact that they're plinking their lure off your boat or getting one stuck in your tree. I live in Smith Cove, no punk children live around here. So reasonable deduction is all that it is.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:

Steve: I am pretty sure there is no evidence to connect any fisherman to these incidents. It could be a fisherman but it could just as easily be a kid with a pellet gun. Let's let the facts come out. I think you are unfairly labeling fisherman.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

That's a pretty irresponsible thing to infer unless you have first hand knowledge of somebody doing this. As a general rule, those that are hunters and fisherman are as interested in conservation and wildlife management as the F&G is, if not more. As both an avid hunter and fisherman this gets me just as mad as anyone else.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
Lin

Default Webcams

Just a thought but i was looking at the weather around the lake on the webcams and saw the smith cove cam. I wonder how many other homes in the area of the loon killing have security cameras. Maybe law enforcement could have residents backtrack their cameras if video (if video is collected on some form of media).
Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 AM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:
He may not be far off. Who knows where the Loon was shot, but there are a lot of Yahoo's (aka fishermen) who have bad attitudes that will argue with you if you don't like the fact that they're plinking their lure off your boat or getting one stuck in your tree. I live in Smith Cove, no punk children live around here. So reasonable deduction is all that it is.
Misha: I noticed a few black kids with hoodies hanging around the boat ramp in Alton Bay the other day. They are known to often have guns so I am thinking they shot the loons. A reasonable deduction is all that it is, don't you think?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

SC, Dan, Maxum.. I clearly stated that "I would be willing to bet" that it was an "in and out" fisherman.

The United States has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, by far:

"There are estimates, however. According to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey – the leading source of international public information about firearms – the U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents — far ahead of Yemen, which comes in second with about 55 firearms for every 100 people, or Switzerland, which is third with 46 guns for every 100 people." (Yes.. I know that these numbers are an average, and I don't think 89 of every 100 people I see every day, are carrying or or even owning a gun..)

Source:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...lly-declining/

I agree "most" are responsible, and I clearly stated I'm not anti gun. I think that to not even being willing to considered ALL of the "possible" culprits is however unreasonable... IMHO. I'll bet Fish and Game are considering the "possibility" of it being a fisherman. IMHO it would be irresponsible to NOT consider all of the potential suspects.

I'm not an investigator, but I would think that proximity to the loon that was shot would be a reasonable investigative starting point, along with "the crack head kids with irresponsible parents" or "few black kids with hoodies hanging around the boat ramp in Alton Bay the other day. They are known to often have guns so I am thinking they shot the loons. A reasonable deduction is all that it is, don't you think?"

I'm on the side of considering ALL of the possibility's. I have many pictures of loon and fishermen is close proximity and will continue to believe, regardless of the comments from people I greatly respect, like you three, and should be a consideration.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Sorry to have to do this.. I un-friend you

Dan, SC and Maxum..

I'm going to have to use the Beatrice solution:

http://vid.marketmenot.com/esurance-...ver-sharer.mp4
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Way out of line on this one Steve.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #21
Chaselady

This has gotten out of control, again.
We all love the loons, but we need to remember that those who live near the ocean are not as fond of them. When they fly south and spend the winter frolicking in the ocean waters of NC they creat havoc by entangling themselves in the fishing lines as they try to catch the fish.
It doesn't matter, whether it was a fisherman with a gun, a hunter, or some kid with a pellet gun. It was just an idiot, with a gun. Obviously.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Way out of line on this one Steve.
in what way? (Just curious.. not being defensive)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #23
ishoot308

Steve;

First off this is not a gun control debate so lets squelch that right now, you brought that up and no one else.

While we are all entitled to our opinions and I do respect yours, I must ask, have you EVER seen a fisherman purposely harass, shoot at, or in any way injure a loon on Lake Winnipesaukee???

In my many many years of fishing on Lake Winni as well as other loon established lakes here in NH, I can honestly say I have never seen a fishermen so much as harass a loon never mind pull out a pistol, rifle, bow and arrow, whatever you pick and shoot one. Maybe they accidentally went near a nesting site by not knowing the area but certainly nothing on purpose.

Now I have seen Jet skiers / irresponsible boaters purposely harass them, sail boaters get way too close to nesting areas, kayaks purposely paddle up to them or disturb nesting sites, kids from shore throw rocks at them but I have never seen a fishermen so much as bother one. Now I am not saying it's impossible but for me highly improbable when there are so many other more realistic things that could of happened.

If you did see a fishermen kill or harass one, did you get their bow number and report them to the authorities?? Certainly if they were fishing they were going very slow and their bow numbers would be easily and clearly visible so there would be no excuse for not reporting them.

So I guess I am just curious, why the fishermen???

Steve, this shouldn't be about labeling an entire group of people about being loon murderers, this should be about finding the individual moron (and there are plenty to go around) and bring him or her to justice for their crime.

To accuse the fishermen with no basis whatsoever is highly irresponsible and very insulting to the many of us who enjoy and take part in that sport. I hope you understand that. Maybe it was an amateur photographer with a grudge against loons??...

Steve I have always enjoyed your pics and posts in this forum but in this instance I must completely disagree with your thought process.

I do still like you though Steve!

Dan
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #24
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Steve;

First off this is not a gun control debate so lets squelch that right now, you brought that up and no one else.

While we are all entitled to our opinions and I do respect yours, I must ask, have you EVER seen a fisherman purposely harass, shoot at, or in any way injure a loon on Lake Winnipesaukee???

In my many many years of fishing on Lake Winni as well as other loon established lakes here in NH, I can honestly say I have never seen a fishermen so much as harass a loon never mind pull out a pistol, rifle, bow and arrow, whatever you pick and shoot one. Maybe they accidentally went near a nesting site by not knowing the area but certainly nothing on purpose.

Now I have seen Jet skiers / irresponsible boaters purposely harass them, sail boaters get way too close to nesting areas, kayaks purposely paddle up to them or disturb nesting sites, kids from shore throw rocks at them but I have never seen a fishermen so much as bother one. Now I am not saying it's impossible but for me highly improbable when there are so many other more realistic things that could of happened.

If you did see a fishermen kill or harass one, did you get their bow number and report them to the authorities?? Certainly if they were fishing they were going very slow and their bow numbers would be easily and clearly visible so there would be no excuse for not reporting them.

So I guess I am just curious, why the fishermen???

Steve, this shouldn't be about labeling an entire group of people about being loon murderers, this should be about finding the individual moron (and there are plenty to go around) and bring him or her to justice for their crime.

To accuse the fishermen with no basis whatsoever is highly irresponsible and very insulting to the many of us who enjoy and take part in that sport. I hope you understand that. Maybe it was an amateur photographer with a grudge against loons??...

Steve I have always enjoyed your pics and posts in this forum but in this instance I must completely disagree with your thought process.

I do still like you though Steve!

Dan
PM sent.. no good will come of this thread continuing on the path it's on.

Thx SteveA
Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #25
secondcurve

Quote:
PM sent.. no good will come of this thread continuing on the path it's on.

Thx SteveA
Hi Steve:

I apologize to have offended you. I felt you were unfairly labeling an entire group of folks (fishermen), 99.9% of whom I'm sure share the same view as you on the recent unwarranted attacks on Loons. I wanted to point that out. That is it. End of story.

I wasn't focused on the gun issue and while I have CCPs in Massachusetts and NH I'm sure you and I could come to agreement on gun legislation if we were running the country, since I consider you to be a reasonable person, as am I.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #26
ishoot308

Default Thanks!

Hi Steve;

P.M. received , read and I completely agree with it.

I wish you would post it as it certainly describes your thoughts way better than your original post.

All is good my friend! The only shot I want to see of Loons is from your camera!!

Dan
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
in what way? (Just curious.. not being defensive)
No worries but I just don't see the point of pointing a finger at fisherman with guns. I don't even fish btw.
mhtranger (05-30-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

This type of thing unfortunately happens from time to time. While all of you where focusing on SteveA comments. I was thinking not about the fact that These two loons where shot.... But rather they would apparently seem to have been shot purely for sport.

Personally nothing upsets me more then when I see animals endangered or not hunted purely for sport. Hunting is a needed activity to keep wildlife populations in check. However as in the case of the loon, there are times where certain animals need to be protected. Hence the endangered species list.

However set the endangered species list aside. And what you are left with is two dead loons shot and left. That really boils my blood. If you shot an animal, you better intended to utilize it for more then just chest pumping bragging rights.
Misha888 (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default In Foster's today...

the loon who was shot down in Dover has unfortunately died. He was found in the pond where he was placed to recuperate.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
Misha888

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
the loon who was shot down in Dover has unfortunately died. He was found in the pond where he was placed to recuperate.
And I haven't seen or heard the loons in Smith Cove, not even the sole one that I saw on Monday morning. Super sad about that. I maintain hope until I can watch for them ALL day.

Thank you for the update on the Dover Loon.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
pjard

I saw one (single) yesterday right off the beach by Mountain View YC.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #32
Misha888

Default No sighting . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I saw one (single) yesterday right off the beach by Mountain View YC.
no sound of the ones that lived in the cove. Not even the single. You can typically see them feeding through the narrow part and hear them closer to sundown. This pair has lived there for 9 years. Off to read up on "what happens when one loses a mate". Still maintaining hope but it's now Thu. . . . well, Friday.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #33
Misha888

Default 11-1-11

Mr and Mrs. of Smith Cove
Attached Images

ApS (06-06-2014), glennsteely (05-29-2015), znh (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #34
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
no sound of the ones that lived in the cove. Not even the single. You can typically see them feeding through the narrow part and hear them closer to sundown. This pair has lived there for 9 years. Off to read up on "what happens when one loses a mate". Still maintaining hope but it's now Thu. . . . well, Friday.
Last summer our male loon in Green's Basin died from a lead sinker. The female is back this year with a new male. John, from the Loon Center, said it could take as long as 3 years for this pair to produce chicks.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I am happy to hear that. I didn't know they took a new mate. We had one here for years that was single and never had a mate.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #36
Misha888

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Last summer our male loon in Green's Basin died from a lead sinker. The female is back this year with a new male. John, from the Loon Center, said it could take as long as 3 years for this pair to produce chicks.
Maybe she is looking for a new mate over in the Marina. Still no sight of her.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #37
znh

Quote:
Mr and Mrs. of Smith Cove
We always gas up at Fay's and see Loons in Smith Cove often...must be these two !

We have a couple of pairs always out in front of Lake Shore Park / Samoset / Ames. I often see them in the morning in my kayak, I will certainly be more vigilant watching around to make sure nobody is doing anything harmful out there...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to znh For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-30-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
I often see them in the morning in my kayak, .
Do they know how to use the paddle?
ITD (06-04-2014), Pineedles (06-04-2014), upthesaukee (06-03-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #39
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default $5,000 Reward

From WMUR:

Humane Society offers $5,000 reward for information in loon shootings.

http://www.wmur.com/news/humane-soci...6321670#!UpJwG
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #40
Lakemamma

Default Humane Society offering $5,000 reward for Loon shootings

Published On: Jun 04 2014 08:00:46 AM EDT

DOVER, N.H. -
A $5,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in two recent loon shootings in New Hampshire.

The reward is being offered by The Humane Society of the United States and The Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust.

The loons were found last month with bullet wounds 50 miles apart in Dover and Moultonborough. Both died.

The loon is protected by both state and federal law, and is a threatened species in the state. It is a misdemeanor to injure or shoot a loon, and even attempting to do so would violate the law.

Anyone with information on the shootings is asked to contact Special Agent Robert Rothe of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Concord at 223-2541.

Why would somebody do harm to them........ I hope they find them.....
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #41
Striper295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemamma View Post

DOVER, N.H. -
A $5,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in two recent loon shootings in New Hampshire.

The reward is being offered by The Humane Society of the United States and The Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust.

The loons were found last month with bullet wounds 50 miles apart in Dover and Moultonborough. Both died.

The loon is protected by both state and federal law, and is a threatened species in the state. It is a misdemeanor to injure or shoot a loon, and even attempting to do so would violate the law.

Anyone with information on the shootings is asked to contact Special Agent Robert Rothe of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Concord at 223-2541.

Makes me so mad to hear about this, I just saved a Loon that somehow made it onto the road and couldn't get back to the water. Its strange that the legs don't work like Ducks. I had to cover it with a shirt and when iI got it back to the water off it went like a new Loon...
Striper295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #42
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper295 View Post
Makes me so mad to hear about this, I just saved a Loon that somehow made it onto the road and couldn't get back to the water. Its strange that the legs don't work like Ducks. I had to cover it with a shirt and when iI got it back to the water off it went like a new Loon...
Great job on the rescue!!!

Loon are actually related to the penguin, hence the far rear leg position.

http://www.loon.org/about-loons.php

If you ever get the chance, visit the Loon Center in Moultonbourough, great place, wonderful education, and wonderful organization.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #43
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemamma View Post

DOVER, N.H. -

The Dover info is right, but I believe the one shot on Winnipesaukee was near Varney Point in Gilford, near the Marine Patrol.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #44
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

The already ongoing thread is here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17569
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #45
Misha888

Default Smith Cove

I haven't seen the female since Monday the 26th. We took a put out around the point this morning. Saw a pair of loons by the entrance to MVYC. I miss their calls and well, I just miss them. 9 years is a long time so it will take me a bit to get over it. Hoping she comes back to the cove eventually with her new mate.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #46
znh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Do they know how to use the paddle?
A wise guy eh

I guess we are very fortunate where we are, we see a lot of loons all season long. They are always out in the morning when I am out fishing...I need to bring a better camera with me then my phone...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #47
Misha888

Default A pair . . .

are frequenting the cove. I thought you'd be interested. I'm thrilled. What I think is the male was really calm today. We cruised right by him on our way out. It is the closest I have ever gotten to a Loon in 10 years.

We came back went in for a sandwich and then there were two. Swimming right by the end of the boat (we were docked) and I left my camera in the house from lunch.

I'm loving the return of the Loons calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I am happy to hear that. I didn't know they took a new mate. We had one here for years that was single and never had a mate.
Attached Images

Accipiter290 (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #48
Newbiesaukee

Sitting on my deck, watching the Lake and hearing the first Loons of the season. As good as it gets.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-27-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #49
dpg

Complete scum bag(s) why can't people just leave things alone?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #50
glennsteely

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
dirt bags! Why would anyone shoot a loon?
i could tell you why i would like to shoot them!! (THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE, THAT IS)

Last edited by glennsteely; 05-29-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: CLARIFY
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote