Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
WakeUp

Default Ski-Doo / Engine Question...

2 weeks ago my 2001 380 Formula was running great. Yesterday I started it and only 1 of 2 cylinders was firing. I checked for spark, and both plugs were getting spark. In changing the plugs yesterday I did notice the cylinder not firing was dry - no gas getting to the cylinder.

Could the problem be that the fuel pump is 1/2 bad? (there is no scent of gas, so I'll rule out cracked/broken lines to and from fuel pump)

What other things should I look at before sending off to the Ski-Doo hospital?

Any and all ideas are appreciated.
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Go for the Simple Things?

WakeUp,

It could be a number of "SIMPLE" things. It could be some debris blocking the Needle and seat, a stuck "FLOAT". As for the fuel pump, if it easy to get at try swapping the lines at the pump, fire the engine and see if the problem now occurs in the other cylinder. If no change try to check for fuel in the carb bowl. If it is dry it could be "dirt" or a stuck Float? If the Float is stuck try tapping the fuel bowl several times with a metal object.

Good luck.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
WakeUp,

It could be a number of "SIMPLE" things. It could be some debris blocking the Needle and seat, a stuck "FLOAT". As for the fuel pump, if it easy to get at try swapping the lines at the pump, fire the engine and see if the problem now occurs in the other cylinder. If no change try to check for fuel in the carb bowl. If it is dry it could be "dirt" or a stuck Float? If the Float is stuck try tapping the fuel bowl several times with a metal object.

Good luck.

WINNOCTURN

I'd check the jets also, unscrew the offending side and blast carb cleaner through it. Could be gummed up, did you stabilize gas over the summer? If not gas could have turned to varnish.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
trfour

WakeUp, sounds as though water, or moisture has gotten into the fuel system. Even if you use stabilizer in the fuel in the off season, if you don't keep the fuel tank topped off, it will rain condensation inside of your fuel tank with the heat and cold temps over time. It only takes less than a very small drop of moisture to totally block a jet, and not allow any fuel to pass through it. I would strongly suggest cleaning the entire fuel system, as if you trail ride without a moisture free fuel system, it can lean out the fuel mixture and burn pistons in a heart beat! Also, I would do a vacume check on each cylinder, as a worn or blown crankshaft seal would also keep the proper amount of fuel from getting into the cylinder.

Good Luck.
T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
chipj29

Had the exact same problem with a Ski Doo 550 fan just last week. We took the carbs apart and found the float needle to be sticking. A squirt of WD-40 solved the problem in no time. We did do a thorough cleaning of the carbs too, but the sticking needle was the problem.