Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default Hunting 2014

News from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: info@wildlife.nh.gov
For information and online licenses, visit http://www.wildnh.com

Dan Bergeron: (603) 271-2461
Andy Timmins: (603) 271-788-3164
Jane Vachon: (603) 271-3211
November 19, 2014

DEER HUNT GOING WELL, DEER BAITING SEASON ENDS; BEAR HARVEST UP SLIGHTLY

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire’s regular firearms deer hunting is going well, as hunters look forward to time afield during the Thanksgiving holiday week. Through November 16, 2014, hunters had taken an estimated 8,119 deer in New Hampshire. The statewide total to date represents an 11% decrease from the 9,122 registered at this point in the 2013 season. For a comparison of deer harvest results by county at this same point in the season in recent years, visit http://www.HuntNH.com/Hunting/deer_h..._November2.htm.

Hunters are reminded that, under new changes in effect this year, the deer baiting season has ended in all Wildlife Management Units except WMU M and on Governor’s and Long Islands. A baited area will no longer be considered an active bait site only after all containers and bait material are completely removed. Until December 15, persons baiting for coyotes are restricted to the use of meat, animal parts, carrion, or fish.

“While down a bit from the past two years, the deer kill to date is still the fourth highest in the last nine years,” said Dan Bergeron, Deer Project Leader for Fish and Game. "The next couple of weeks, including the Thanksgiving holidays, should provide hunters with excellent opportunity, as the rut should remain strong. Cool weather and a dusting of snow in places are providing great conditions for prime deer hunting."

The opening weekend of firearms deer season spelled sweet success for Ryan Johnson of Epping and his brother Dan of Raymond. The two brothers, both originally from Raymond, went hunting together on Sunday (November 16) and both got beautiful bucks in WMU L in Raymond. The brothers hunted along the edges of two different wetlands, swamps that are only a few hundred yards apart. Younger brother Dan took his deer first, a 10 pointer. Upon hearing the news, Ryan almost left to help his brother, but decided to wait a little longer and see if he could get a deer of his own. Roughly two hours after hearing of his brother’s success, Ryan harvested his own 9-point buck. See a photo of Dan and Ryan at http://wildnh.com/Newsroom/2014/Q4/deer3.html.

In most Wildlife Management Units (WMUs), the remainder of the regular firearm season is for legally antlered bucks only. Units L and M in southeastern New Hampshire are the only exceptions, with either-sex regular firearm hunting continuing through this Friday (November 21).
The regular firearm season runs through December 7, except in WMU-A, where it ends a week early on November 30.

New Hampshire’s bear hunting season has ended in most of the state, with the exception of the White Mountain and Central regions of the state (Units C1, D2, E, F, G, I1, J1 and J2), where it closes November 25. Preliminary results show that as of November 6, a total of 703 bears (382 males, 321 females) had been taken in the hunt, according to Fish and Game bear biologist Andrew Timmins. Through that date, bait hunters had harvested 405 bears, still hunters/stalkers took 198 bears, and hound hunters registered 100 bears. The current overall harvest sex ratio is 1.2 males per female. This year’s harvest is running slightly above (+13%) the 5-year in-season average of 622 bears for this time period, Timmins reports. The current bear take is 32% above last year’s level at point in the season (534 in 2013).

For more on hunting in New Hampshire, visit http://www.HuntNH.com/Hunting/hunting.htm.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
dpg

Not that I exactly follow the rules but I didn't realize there is a Deer baiting season. I'm not against hunting hell I used to hunt myself, but I never believed in baiting anything, just seems cruel.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
nightrider

Default Bait

You bait a hook, no?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
glennsteely

Thumbs up hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
You bait a hook, no?
too funny!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
You bait a hook, no?
Well I'm not going to turn this into a 50 response thread on my beliefs but actually I fish very little maybe once a summer. Yeah I "bait" a hook when I do, something totally different though. Nuff said...Bye...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Tired of Waiting

Talking Oh come on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Well I'm not going to turn this into a 50 response thread on my beliefs but actually I fish very little maybe once a summer. Yeah I "bait" a hook when I do, something totally different though. Nuff said...Bye...

Nightrider baited the hook and you only took a nibble. Come on grab it hook line and sinker!!!! Nothing like a good fish fight to keep things interesting.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
kbh

Default No need...

I don't personally bait for deer because there is really no need to do so. However, I don't see much difference between baiting or sitting over a pile of freshly fallen acorns...

In Texas where my brother hunts, you see corn feeders in every field this time of year. Baiting with corn feeders is the main method of hunting in that area...
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've found that the correct use of scent is by far the most effective tool in getting deer.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (11-26-2014)