Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
scubajay1153

Default Navigation course at Clarks Point

Does anyone have to coordinates for said course? I come across a couple of the markers from time to time but haven't figured it out yet!

Thanks for any help!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Re: Nav course and another question

Sorry I can't help with your course question-have no idea who would set one up except for Winni Divers in W'Boro (call them), but it would be a useful training tool-say to follow a line of stones or markers set at various points and nav from one to another and so forth to practice nav skills.

My question: Earlier this year I picked up a friend on the shore there with my boat and we anchored offshore to try and find this alleged cave that's supposed to be at about 90 feet.

I scanned the area first with side-scan to see where the rock ended and the silt began, then dropped anchor at a point where the rock ended, then descended.

We kicked around at 90-95 feet-needed our halogen lights, as we expected it to be dark & green, and it was. Simple mud/silt bottom with no particular objects of interest at all at the base. We were looking for this "cave" but found nothing. Maybe it's up on the slope-don't know. Given the limited viz, we could have gone by it with it being 12-15 feet away and easily missed it.

I would add for those considering a dive to try and find this cave, that 90 feet of water where this cave is supposed to be is well offshore (I figure 300-400 feet) and a very very dangerous place to surface if you have to if you're diving from shore or not damn sure how to get back to your boat/anchor line-scary-trust me here.

Major, fast, boat traffic cutting around Clarkes Point-and my boat was the only aid we had. I knew this would be an issue so we used a big wreck-reel to nav out, and back to, the anchor in perfect safety, then up the anchor line while doing decompression. Even then we had... idiots....screaming by us within 40 feet of the boat.

What else is new.

If anyone has ever seen this cave and/or been into it, or can even confirm it's existence, I'd really like to know.

A few years ago I did however find an inkwell right off Clarkes, maybe 40 feet of water-image attached.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
scubajay1153

Thumbs up

Interesting info on the cave. I can agree with the idiot fact out there as more then once we have had folks slaloming the many dive flags out there on their PWC. Can't regulate common sense I guess...

Any idea of the heading from shore to take to the rock wall? I have done dozens of dives with students there and for sport and never gone below 60-65 feet...
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote