Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Ames Farm

Ames Farm is now open for breakfast and lunch. We had planned to go on Saturday; the traditional 3rd Sat in June opening. Driving by yesterday we saw the open sign by the road so we had breakfast this morning.

The blueberry pancakes with NH maple syrup are still great Caution: a stack of three of those could feed Paul Bunyan. So I downsize to two or just one with eggs.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (06-13-2019), Crusty (06-14-2019), upthesaukee (06-13-2019)
Old 08-18-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Finally got to Ames Farm by car after waiting a few years for the right weather/time by boat(!).

It was very good, and the servers were excellent.

The blueberry pancakes were excellent, as mentioned above, and the real syrup was a nice touch.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
Taz

Default Blueberry pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Ames Farm is now open for breakfast and lunch. We had planned to go on Saturday; the traditional 3rd Sat in June opening. Driving by yesterday we saw the open sign by the road so we had breakfast this morning.

The blueberry pancakes with NH maple syrup are still great Caution: a stack of three of those could feed Paul Bunyan. So I downsize to two or just one with eggs.
In years past I could only eat 1 blueberry pancake. Ate there last week and the pancake was much smaller. I could of had 2 - 3 had I known. While they tasted great I was dissapointed.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:50 PM   #4
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
In years past I could only eat 1 blueberry pancake. Ate there last week and the pancake was much smaller. I could of had 2 - 3 had I known. While they tasted great I was dissapointed.
A sign of the times. They do the best they can, given what they have.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM   #5
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
A sign of the times. They do the best they can, given what they have.
Huh? It's pancake batter and a few blueberries.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2023, 10:29 PM   #6
RockHopster

Default Pancake Heaven at Ames

I don't have pancakes often. Polly's twice a year. Water Street the same. We had a group of 12 at Ames last weekend and had an awesome experience. I had a basic stack of 3 pancakes and they were fabulous. A co-bruncher said "I should have ordered 2". Hopefully just an off day on your occasion.
PS Great views.
RockHopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:11 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
It must depend on the cook. We were there two weeks ago and I could not finish two pancakes. They were a bit shy on the blueberries but still very good. Mostly they are a carrier for the maple syrup

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:35 AM   #8
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHopster View Post
I don't have pancakes often. Polly's twice a year. Water Street the same. We had a group of 12 at Ames last weekend and had an awesome experience. I had a basic stack of 3 pancakes and they were fabulous. A co-bruncher said "I should have ordered 2". Hopefully just an off day on your occasion.
PS Great views.
The best pancakes I ever had was banana pancakes at Yesterday's in Jackson NH. I only eat one as they are enormous like Ames Farm usually is. I don't even like Polly's. Not sure what the big fuss is there.

Also have had fabulous pancakes at Harrison Pierce Pond Camps in Caratunk ME, North of Skowhegan. The Camps are on the AT trail and 16 miles in the woods off a dirt logging road. The pancakes and breakfast are famous among thru hikers. If you are a thru hiker you must sit on the outside deck though because thru hikers smell, LOL. The pancakes are super thin, crepe like with fresh raspberries, black berries and powdered sugar. Deliscious!

Last edited by Taz; 08-24-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:49 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Y'all talking about eating one cake are either lightweights or there was something weird about Ames' sizing!

Polly's used to be more unique when it was European/family seating in the old building, but it's still unique in that everything made is original recipes from scratch. I think it's just ok food, but the location is great. Just need a small loan these days to cover the cost.

My family's favorite breakfast stop at the moment is Benton's, though Ames entered into the discussion after we finished last week...

Old 08-24-2023, 07:09 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Flapjacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Y'all talking about eating one cake are either lightweights or there was something weird about Ames' sizing!

Polly's used to be more unique when it was European/family seating in the old building, but it's still unique in that everything made is original recipes from scratch. I think it's just ok food, but the location is great. Just need a small loan these days to cover the cost.

My family's favorite breakfast stop at the moment is Benton's, though Ames entered into the discussion after we finished last week...

Have you ever been to "Flapjacks" in Lincoln, NH?? If not you must try it! Best breakfast anywhere!

Dan
Old 08-24-2023, 08:42 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Have you ever been to "Flapjacks" in Lincoln, NH?? If not you must try it! Best breakfast anywhere!

Dan
Ya know what? We haven't. We used to be Peg's people but really haven't eaten breakfast in that area much since buying at the lake and the times we have the line at Flapjacks has been out the door and I don't like waiting!

I shared your rec with my wife and it appears plans are in the making to give it a go in the next couple days—I'll report back!