Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
elchase

Default Supporters thread

I joined this forum to talk about sailing, but was so quickly attacked for not opposing the speed limit that I almost quit, as I'm sure many before me have done. But when I saw the recent speed limit thread and how oddly unanimous it was, I realized that getting people like me to quit was the hope of the small group of performance boaters who have hijacked this forum.

Since the other threads are apparently only for those who oppose reasonable boating limits, this thread will only be for those who support them. If you post anything derogatory about the speed limit law, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, and other less aggressive boating activities on this thread, or if you insult those who support these activities, we will not brand you a troll, insult you, and try to intimidate. We will simply ask the moderator to delete you or move your post to one of the other threads, and block you from further postings on this thread. And those of us who support sensible speed laws and limits on our lake should respect the other threads and stay off of them.

If you have something good to say about "the law" or its supporters, post it here. If something bad to say, post it there. This way we can keep all threads friendly and avoid all of the bickering. If you were just an unregistered reader, afraid to weigh in, please register and weigh in now without fear. This is "our" thread. And please tell your friends.

I think the permanence of the speed limit law would be a great thing. I recall all those who bashed the no-wake zoning of Meredith Bay, even well into its first couple of years, but few can argue now with the huge benefit it has brought to the community. Seeing the lake finally returned to a place where boaters of all types are welcome to share the lake, it would be a real shame to take a big step back from this reasonable compromise (45 is still a very fast speed that over 95% of the boats on this lake can't even reach) to the selfish and wild place it had become in the 90's (the "me" decade, by the way).

Despite the false impression one would get from reading some of the other threads on this forum, which seems to have become a magnet for the go fast - be loud crowd, we know that over 80% of NH's citizens (the regular people) want this law. We see why that majority is afraid to express their opinion on this forum, because they are attacked relentlessly and called trolls. That will not happen on this one thread, which will be our thread, and I ask the moderator to please police to ensure that and delete any troll-posts or attempts to sabotage.

While there are certainly other factors at play this year, we have seen that even on sunny days, and even when gas prices have dropped far below last year's levels, boats are going much slower this year. People are sailing and canoeing again without the fear that they had of being run over or swamped by a five-ton hull going 70 miles per hour. This fear may or may not have been deserved, but it was real. And when people are scared or intimidated, then boating for them ceases to be an enjoyable recreational activity, and they are thereby chased from their own lake.

Fishing is more enjoyable this year. The lake is quieter. Some blame the economy, but I'm seeing plenty of performance boats out there going under 45MP (on plane) and they do not seem to be suffering from the bad economy...they are simply obeying the law as most Americans do.

Fathers are taking their kids tubing and water skiing again and families are going for evening ice-cream cruises again. Try to get a dock in Meredith this year and you see how many people are boating to dinner again. That is not because the weather and economy are bad, it is because the conditions on the lake now allow it again.

Let's not let a small but aggressive minority undo all the wonderful things that this law has wrought. Let's organize our support and let our legislators know that the vast majority of NH voters are strongly supportive of making the Winnipesaukee speed limit permanent.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-04-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
ironhorsetim

Thumbs up Great Idea

The two threads is a really good idea keeps everyone civil

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
caloway

Default Quick straw poll

Anytime I talk about Winni to my neighbors/friends, they consistantly use the adjective crazy. In fact, any that boat have long since moved to Squam, Newfound or Wentworth. I fail to see how it serves the public to scare family boaters away from the largest lake in the state.

You write about a compromise, but I'm pretty sure that a person on a P26 riding the wake of somebody doing 80mph 150' off it's port side wouldn't think it much of a compromise. Yet both have an equal interest in the broads.

By the way, just as an aside, at 80mph, a boat takes under 1.3 seconds to cover the 150' required separation.
The Following User Says Thank You to caloway For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-04-2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
...when I saw the recent speed limit thread and how oddly unanimous it was, I realized that getting people like me to quit was the hope of the small group of performance boaters who have hijacked this forum.
Sadly, I have to agree with you and it is one reason I decided to close the topic for a while.

I like your idea of a thread for supporters only. Let's give it a try. Opposers, stay out of this thread or your post will be moved or deleted!

This doesn't mean that supporters are excluded from other threads in this sub-forum. If opposers want to start an "Opposers thread" then I will ask supporters to stay out of that thread.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So reading this thread.... the problem with this debate is that there is no middle ground...
There are supporters.... there are oppossers, but there is no group trying to find common ground....

Now I applaud the idea of a thread for oppossers and a thread for supporters.... but people have to stop standing on either side of the neutral zone, and start thinking about common ground. Sure the NW zone in Meredith Bay has been a good thing... and that principle could be applied other places. Wolfeboro for one...

There are places on the lake where speed is not an issue, and there are place where it is.... people should stop sitting on the extreme sides and look for common ground....

Places like the Broads should be wide open throttle, lay the speed down..... other areas need some consideration for slower speeds....There is common ground people just have to look for it....

LI,
You might want to start a "middle grounders thread", but the promotion of letting boats go as fast as they want any time they want on the Broads, the best sailing and salmon-fishing part of the lake, does not sound like it belongs on this thread. This thread is for people who support the speed limit and want to see the present law made permanent to weigh in, and or to give their opinions and anecdotes that support the law...period. My hope is that once people who were afraid to weigh in on the other threads for fear of being joe-the-plumbered will now feel welcome, and we will all get a better feel for the prevailing opinion on this topic, rather than just the opinions of the dominant few.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
"...I'm pretty sure that a person on a P26 riding the wake of somebody doing 80mph 150' off it's port side wouldn't think it much of a compromise. Yet both have an equal interest in the broads..."
I may not be the only person on this forum who doesn't know what a P26 is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
The two threads is a really good idea keeps everyone civil
It's like having two forums under this one sub-forum!

Quote:
"...the Broads, the best sailing and salmon-fishing part of the lake..."
Funny you should mention those two. My sailboat and a salmon-fisher (blue canopy) had the Broads to ourselves early this morning. Later, a yellow kayak popped out of Winter Harbor, where too many boats were waterskiing and tubing: a few Jet-Skis and others came out later, but everybody was civil and going about their business.

On the Broads southeast of Welch Island, I'd estimate that for every sailboat this year, there were three powerboats; however, I had been counting all moving powerboats.

I'll have to revise my estimating now: the ratio of sail to power may be much greater than I'd thought. For example, on the Broads late yesterday afternoon, sailboats handily outnumbered powerboats by three-to-one!

Of those close enough to identify, there were three Sunfish, a Phantom, a Cape Dory Typhoon 17, a Hobie 18, and a Rhodes 19 (with two gals who left their mooring off Snake-Eyes' "headquarters"). Scattered elsewhere in the distance were a handful of medium-sized sailcraft.

Quote:
"...we will all get a better feel for the prevailing opinion on this topic, rather than just the opinions of the dominant few..."
The dominant few can kvetch among themselves now.

I thought the new "permanent" bill should have been presented at the end of this season.

...But just think of the incentive for sane and civil behavior on the water for two whole years.

Hey, the wind's just come back up!...I'm goin' sailin'...
Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
ApS

Red face Sorry If My Eye Hurt Your Elbow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
"...any that boat have long since moved to Squam, Newfound or Wentworth..."
Not everyone.

Residences are still being built and sold on Winnipesaukee with high expectations: Sailboats are featured on those brochures.

Long-time residents—even those who remember 100 octane sold at the dock—are fully invested in returning sane boating and relative quietude to Lake Winnipesaukee: the two are linked and go together.

(Or "are gone" together).

Quote:
"...people have to stop standing on either side of the neutral zone..."
Geez...How many of Ted Kennedy's speeches begin with "Americans have to learn...?

Why can't people just do what they want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
"...I am not going to start a debate, call people names etc. just looking for clairification on your initial post..."
1) You missed a formal NH poll taken two years ago.

2) If you don't believe that "regular people" want sanity on the lake, ask around the lake—especially where medium-sized powerboats are parked in residents' yards. A lot can be learned at yard sales if you inquire as I have done.

3) Funny that I should have just left a thread that used the term "bully" (twice).

4) Greyhounds weren't designed to mix with the flock.

Opponents have offshore options where you can boat safely and where fatalities are a part of everyday life: "Inland-waters" residents have no such option.

5) Opponents don't want ME "butting-in" at the Opposer's thread!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Turtle Boy

Holy cow....I was without computer last week and was forced to follow all the new forum developments on a cheap cell phone screen...kind of like watching the World's series through a knot hole in the fence. So...our very own homeland. Seriously though, much thanks to Don for his words of support and validation. I was saying to Turtle Wife(TW) that the forum has now taken a quantum leap forward in terms of civility that mirrors that which has occurred on the lake this year. And so far I have managed not to follow the other SL threads much to the relief of TW and my internist who follows my blood pressure.
I wanted to also mention that I too feel a "compromise" bill that would allow faster speeds on the broads would be wrong. The present SL law embraces that compromise already. Boats can still go very fast, both day and night. Many people are unwilling to give up the broads(sailers, fishermen, small boaters like myself) and if unlimited speeds were permitted only on the broads then that beautiful part of the lake would be even more chaotic than before the SL was passed.
One word on a parallel benefit of the SL. We've noticed a significant decrease in the noise on the lake. People come here for a peaceful and relaxed experience on the lake. It's been nice to fish at the buoys without some GFBL screaming by at 70 MPH only 150' (or less) away. We have friends who own a house 3 miles inland on hills overlooking Winni...they have commented in the past how they hear the GFBL's on Winni from their house. I suspect this problem has been mitigated. And it's also an example of how people who might not be avid boaters still need a say in how the lake is managed! Also thanks to el for his courage. I too feel that there is probably a strong corrolation between those who are aggressive and controlling on the forum and those who wish to act the same on the lake. TB
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
elchase

Default The speed limit works just fine, thanks.

We had a good chuckle today when some clown in a huge offshore boat got taken down a few pegs by the MP.
We were visiting some friends on their dock. One had just remarked how nice and quiet it was for a Sunday afternoon when we heard this rising roar. Around the island comes this silly-looking boat (looked just like the one at http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...&postcount=221). It had a rooster tail that must have been 50 feet high and was so load we couldn't hear each other talk. The guy was clearly starved of attention as a child and was showing the world that the speed limit was not going to cramp his style. Probably one of the "I don't even own a performance boat" members from the opposers thread who have been bragging about how they are driving just as they please because the MP doesn't scare them. The guy actually had a life jacket and helmet on like he was Don Johnson in some open ocean race to the Bahamas. I'm all for safety, but if you feel the need to wear a helmet and life jacket in case you throw yourself out of your own boat on a lake, then you are clearly the best argument against letting stupid boaters decide for themselves what speed is "prudent", no?
Suddenly the guy sees a patrol boat up ahead. I never knew how quickly these boats could go from 90 down to 25. Surprised he didn't throw himself out right there. Now he's crawling along with his tail between his legs and the patrol boat following a couple hundred yards behind. I guess he showed that patrolman what he could do with his speed limit.
Another example of the speed limit doing its job, ticket or no ticket. The MP probably followed him at 25 mph right back to the ramp where he put that silly thing back on its trailer. He can tow it down to Miami and go 90 all day long. But then, the ocean is no fun. Nobody can see you out there. What good is going so fast if nobody can see you?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
caloway

Default Here's a P26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I may not be the only person on this forum who doesn't know what a P26 is.
It's a Pearson 26: http://dan.pfeiffer.net/p26/boat.htm
Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
sunset on the dock

The noise issue came to mind last night (watching sunset on the dock). There was a moderate amount of boat traffic coming through the channel, some pretty fast...35 MPH or so, but most of the boats were rather quiet and not at all annoying. Then this extremely noisy, irritating GFBL comes through. All conversation on the dock needs to stop until he's passed by. I bring this up not only relating to the story of the guy wearing the PFD and helmet, but because there seems to be a bit of discussion on the compromise thread about boat noise. Some or one of the posters said that it's a performance issue not to have underwater exhaust/other quieter types of exhaust...though the point was also brought up that they like the noise as well. In any case, aside from the obvious safety benefits of the SL (which have been challenged ad nauseum) it seems as if the noise issue has focused so much of the attention on these boaters. As was mentioned in an earlier post, people who live miles inland on hills overlooking the lake have heard these boats in years past. To me, this is just one more nail in the coffin of the GFBL group. People come here for peace, relaxation, and recreation. I hear from people all the time (renters, day boaters, etc.) who say the lake just has become way too intense and that a very few people who want their thrill of the day by going 70 MPH have ruined it for the majority (until this year).
Last night's boater did seem to scream out "look at me, look at me". This is why (just one more reason) the people of NH will be so unwilling to let go of their hard fought gains from HB 462.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
ApS

Thumbs down Loud = speed = stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
"...At the risk of being deleted..."
For the record, I inadvertantly posted in the Opposer's Thread and later apologized in that thread. That post—and apology—was deleted, with no small relief to myself!

Quote:
"...I am not a supporter of the speed limit but I do support a noise limit. I think they really are 2 different debates. I am not sure a boat going 45 is much quieter that the same boat going 65. Perhaps stronger noise regulation is needed..."
About 20% of our boaters admit they have LOUD boats that can go fast enough to break the speed limit. Many appear to be in lock-step with each other's noises, and have no indications to compromise their "endearment" of noise.

Recently, due to the hazards of high speed, the legal noise-measure guidelines were changed to stationary measurement.

In response, the noise industry devised mechanical means to defeat those new guidelines. "LOUD PIPES" can be diverted to be acceptably quiet while stationary—but once underway, revert to a new and unapologetic level of NOISE.

If you're perceiving the lake as being LOUDER, you're right.

For me, the lake's last 15 years have been WAY too noisy. This, from "yours-truly", whose career in handling explosive devices should have me totally hearing-impaired by now!

Quote:
"...Or just enforcement...??"
1) Last year, I could count on seeing an MP in my neighborhood every day between 10 to 11-AM—but hardly ever on weekends. Though at distances that couldn't necessarily determine the reason for a stop, "stops" were frequent.

2) Every sunny day, I spend three hours daily to scan the six long miles of The Broads off Rattlesnake Island for my unofficial sailboat count/ratio. (Running about 1:6 to powerboats, BTW). This month, I've only seen two MPs out there.

One MP was towing a riderless Jet-Ski at about 35-MPH—another MP was at top speed on a mission and didn't notice a white 40-foot Fountain that passed the MP at about 70-MPH.

3) Scanning this forum hasn't turned up a single written citation this year!

Quote:
"...My boat, a 24' Fourwinns bowrider has a 280HP Volvo I/O. The noise is minimal. You can't hear it idle when on the dock. It's very nice to have a conversation when moving. I also can't stand when a LOUD boat forces me to stop a conversation.
The required emergency signaling device is also designed to audibly "stop a conversation". Can somebody tell me the point of that requirement, when every passing LOUD boat can obliterate that signal for miles around?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
sunset on the dock

And as far as some having no indication of compromising their endearment of noise,this is why I am a bit leery of embracing some of the other speed compromises. I've commented a couple of times on the compromise forum that their poll results seem to be dramatically at odds with what I see on my shore (100% pro speed limit) and the with the OTHER nefarious poll. In any case, responders to the compromise poll total a mere approx. 1/3 of 1% of the 4234 forum members (approx. 160). And of course on the boating forum, there is a high preponderance of young, male, computer literate powerboating fans. What about swimmers, kayakers, sailors...the response is that "anyone is free to vote on this poll", ignoring the obvious fact that not everyone is on this forum. And where are the 4000 plus other forum members?
And when someone comments on how "it seems that the poll shows 80% of people are against the speed limit", everyone hits the thanks button, which brings me to the following point: I'm not sure what I find more perplexing...that people feel a poll like theirs represents a valid sample, or that they know it doesn't and are just playing along so as to be able to say they have a poll purporting to show their results, or that they think our representatives in Concord are stupid enough not to see right through such a statistically biased poll (believe me, they're not)? I mention all of this because, if, as they say, permenant passage of the SL is such a slam-dunk, the reaction from those who take the poll seriously will be more of the same angry rhetoric like "the fear mongers won with their campaign of lies", when in reality most people do in fact like the SL.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
Island Life

Count me in as one more person who thinks this has been one of the best boating years in a long time because of the speed limit. Many of us who are in favor of speed limits didn't quit the forum, we just ignored the threads about speed limits because it's not worth the mental energy to get into that debate online.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
elchase

Quote:
The problem el is that you think every boating thread we are involved in is a SL thread. You have several Post in threads where they don't belong. The Funny one is you posting a bunch of links in a thread about incidents which didn't even happen on the lake.
Here's on in Texas where FIVE died when "two speed boats, traveling at a very high rate of speed, collided during the annual poker run";
http://www.kten.com/global/story.asp?S=5361738
These preventable tragedies are happening over and over again all over the country...all over the world. Cowboys thinking that going too fast in a boat is not dangerous. That they are supermen. That they are not going to die or that they are not going to kill someone else... until they are proven wrong in one fraction of a second. From the trends of all these posts, you'll see that they usually kill someone else. Then they try to blame it on something else or someone else. How can this not be relevant to the attempts to end our SL law?
It's a perfect parallel.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
ApS

Default Discipline Lost...

Quote:
"...your doing a good job blowing smoke...."
...and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
"...you should be posting those links..."
...and...

Quote:
"...you posting a bunch of links..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
"...Count me in as one more person who thinks this has been one of the best boating years in a long time because of the speed limit..."
It WAS pretty good, wasn't it?

Too bad "the usual suspects" pick and choose which NH laws to observe.

Too bad "the usual suspects" pick and choose which Forum rules to observe, also. They have the Opponents' Thread all to themselves.

Too bad they can't discipline their responses away from the Supporters' thread—which is restricted to Supporters.

Overall, there seems to be a lot of "enlightening" that remains to be done.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
sunset on the dock

This is the supporter's thread ...{opposers} posts should be deleted. BTW, the opposers thread has been rather dead for a long time as well. And there are many SL opponents who seem to be posting only on the active threads open to all. It cuts both ways.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
elchase

Sorry for the gap, but I am being limited to 5 posts per day (because I am posting information that shows why boating speed limits are so necessary?).

Here's one where only one guy died;
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic..._A8_spanc20465

At five of these a day, I should be able to show you examples of why boating at unlimited speeds is so dangerous for another hundred years.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
elchase

Default Thankful that we have a SL on Winnipesaukee

This guy only killed one with his Baja, but he also seriously injured the other. A history of speeding tickets. I wonder what the odds are that he was not going over 45MPH when he smashed into this little 19-footer;
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local..._to_take_weeks

That's my five for today. Sorry for being so late, but I had a great day out on the lake. It was just like summer. Taking in one of the boats tomorrow so I might not be able to give the next five reports until tomorrow night.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
elchase

Here's some good info about how dangerous high speed boating is. Look at all these accidents by sober professional speed boat racers;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...torboat_racing

Old 11-14-2009, 05:04 AM   #21
ApS

Question

Quote:
"...was that a cleaver prop 5 blade? or 4...?"
Speaking of cleaver propellers, do Supporters know the reason a manufacturer of razor-resistant safety equipment includes this photo in its advertising?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #22
ApS

Arrow Camp Ossipee's Stake for SANE Speeds...

It's true that this propeller isn't a "cleaver" prop, (nor is the propeller safety-equipment advertiser's), but back to this intimidating "chopper-upper" in a bit).

The answer to jmen24's question (an apparent "Thank-You" non-sequitur) appeared earlier!

No life jackets here, but one on a passenger? That's like buckling-up every child in a car, but no seatbelt for the driver with which to maintain control over the steering wheel!

A reply to Airwave's assertion that boats oversized for Winnipesaukee don't make big wakes, I offer this photo—where there is more than one GFBL!

You may recall that the owner of this boat—off my dock—asserted his GFBL was traveling at "50-MPH". (!)

That Jet-Ski pictured racing him? —never caught him.

BTW: Note that the windshield is painted over—everyone must stand to peer ahead—and that lanyard-use is not determined.

To the question, why [is ApS] "all hung-up on speedboats running up onto land?", I just realized that photos I took of these boats are taken in front of Camp Ossipee!

Camp Ossipee is an active, private, lakefront, seasonal "family camp", with ownership shared with about 75 boating families.

1) Camp Ossipee was established 150 years ago, and are not "visitors to the lake". Camp Ossipee trailers NO boats to Lake Winnipesaukee.

2) The camp has 45 tent platforms—none of which is higher than two feet above the ground. Each tent (canvas) encloses about 400 square feet—one for each family. They are all within 50-feet of the lake, and even closer than that to one another.

3) This community's entire tent-platform elevation is no higher than two feet!

4) The "assault record" for feral boats running into the shoreline is 500-feet deep! There are plenty of Winnipesaukee residences within 50' of the lake—and some are brand-new! One off Wolfeboro Bay is within 20-feet and another—near Pick Point Cottages in Wolfeboro—has a ZERO distance from the lake!

5) The last photo attached is an example of a fairly active Camp Ossipee boating activity. (The Camp Ossipee property is just off the swimmer's right shoulder). The photo was taken in about the same location as that "50-MPH" boat that's not leaving any wake.

6) That tiny "dot" of a swimmer, though accompanied by a rowboat , is often accompanied by a kayak. (Yes, "the kayaks that we can't see").
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #23
Tiger Lilly

Hurray for this thread. As an avid kayaker, here's to peace and quiet on the lake!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #24
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Hurray for this thread. As an avid kayaker, here's to peace and quiet on the lake!
Welcome! The speed limit forum has a long and proud tradition of tolerance for women kayakers! OK I'm just razzing a few of the speed limit opposers and I am ready and willing to take my licks (probably in less than 5 minutes) but I couldn't resist a little late morning goofing around on the forum. Seriously though, there is a lot of good natured jousting between the factions on the forum and hence a lot of fun is had by all (well, make that most). It can get a little lonely on the speed limit threads for us SL supporters, so a double welcome. My wife is a big kayaker...she was going to use the screen name of "SPEEDBUMP", but I talked her out of it. OK opposers, let me have it (preferably on another thread), I deserve it..."thankyou sir, may I have another?""

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 11-17-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #25
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Welcome! The speed limit forum has a long and proud tradition of tolerance for women kayakers! OK I'm just razzing a few of the speed limit opposers and I am ready and willing to take my licks (probably in less than 5 minutes) but I couldn't resist a little late morning goofing around on the forum. Seriously though, there is a lot of good natured jousting between the factions on the forum and hence a lot of fun is had by all (well, make that most). It can get a little lonely on the speed limit threads for us SL supporters, so a double welcome. My wife is a big kayaker...she was going to use the screen name of "SPEEDBUMP", but I talked her out of it. OK opposers, let me have it (preferably on another thread), I deserve it..."thankyou sir, may I have another?""
I think you should have let your wife use the screen name "SPEEDBUMP" it would be a good name to see every once in a while in a post. Speedbumps... now that is something that needs to be explored!

Well Sunset I just got done cleaning up my Kayak and Canoe and stored them away. I sure had an enjoyable time on the Lake this year. For some reason it seemed a lot calmer than past years. I wish I could put my finger on what made it that way but whatever it was, I hope next year is the same way.
I might even let my grandchildren venture out a little more on the lake next year if this trend keeps up.
Maybe you and I can get together next year and kayak around the Lake. Kayaking is a good for keeping you upper body in shape. Maybe we'll see an eagle flying or nesting in a tree.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #26
ApS

Default Kayakers Welcome...

1) ...Maybe even view a 30-acre family tenting-grounds—which is even difficult to see from the air!

2) "Speed Bump" (two words) was my user-name at the forum in its day in 2002.

3) Opponents tell us they "need" those over-sized boats for days that Lake Winnipesaukee gets rough; however, there are many sunny days where boating shouldn't even be considered!

4) Okay, back to "Cleaver" props. These are examples of "Cleaver" (or "Chopper") props:

Why are they named for the "Cleavers" we are familiar with? (Also called "Choppers").

Because they'll make mincemeat even when not turning!

The above-mentioned safety firm is a supplier of Kevlar equipment (and gloves) so that the cleavers' razor edges can be touched.

Are "Cleavers" found—anchored or moving—on Lake Winnipesaukee?

Answer: Yes.

5) Nobody has countered the argument that the newest PFDs for sub-adults have a disclaimer that they "Have not been tested at 50-MPH", and that they "Are not recommended for high speed water activities". Both OCDActive and I are both too distant from our new PFDs to scan the disclaimer into our respective computers. Perhaps someone here has a new one and post that embossed message themselves.

6) Sure, I've exceeded highway speed limits, but many others are not as "wised-up" on this 19-mile stretch I must drive at only 45-MPH.

If you "fatally-flub" this test, the state will put up an aluminum "pie-plate" disk in your honor at the scene of your recent demise. Oftentimes, there are sad small clusters of these "pie-plates".

7) One opponent states his boat is slow and quiet; however his boat is listed among the others at the "extreme-boat" website I call SOS. Another has million$ at $take, but refuses to "recuse him$elf" from the safety aspects of this debate.

8) Another touts the Coast Guard, but takes no note of accidents actually caused by the Coast Guard! There was no lanyard in use when an empty CG boat ran into the side of a cruise ship! Oops...that didn't happen on Lake Winnipesaukee—so never mind.

Wait! The Coast Guard isn't on Lake Winnipesaukee—so it never happened at all!

9) Opponents tell us that it's funny to laugh at the fears of his passengers, then just three posts later, will try to change the subject!

(Is it OK to be only a few years older than the last "Safety Captain" (injured badly) to run into an island with results that proved fatal for a passenger?)

10) Opponents repeatedly tell us "how safe" New Hampshire lakes are, but fail to mention that there is no smaller state with no shorter season!

11) For years, opponents have told "the quiet people" to leave Winnipesaukee and to "Move to Squam Lake!"

12)
Quote:
SL opponents, I suggest respectfully that we do not comment in this thread as it is for supporters only.
Well, the warning came 'way too late, but "violating the rules" isn't important (or unknown) unless a violation shows up on one's license.

BTW: Supporters can do without the insults:
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Wink Size doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
... I couldn't resist a little late morning goofing around on the forum. Seriously though, there is a lot of good natured jousting between the factions on the forum and hence a lot of fun is had by all (well, make that most). It can get a little lonely on the speed limit threads for us SL supporters, so a double welcome. My wife is a big kayaker...she was going to use the screen name of "SPEEDBUMP", but I talked her out of it. OK opposers, let me have it (preferably on another thread), I deserve it..."thankyou sir, may I have another?""
Sunset, Size doesn't matter. Big and small women should be able to enjoy their kayak ride on the lake. As long as they are under the weight limit for the kayak and follow the rules.

In fact, Big kayakers are easier to spot for those who boat faster than their ability to see .

You were right to talk her out of using Speedbump as a screen name. Sounds too much like SpeedLump. BTW, I do take what people say LITERALLY (sometimes).

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #28
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
Sunset, Size doesn't matter. Big and small women should be able to enjoy their kayak ride on the lake. As long as they are under the weight limit for the kayak and follow the rules.

In fact, Big kayakers are easier to spot for those who boat faster than their ability to see .

You were right to talk her out of using Speedbump as a screen name. Sounds too much like SpeedLump. BTW, I do take what people say LITERALLY (sometimes).

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

You're sharp this morning Skipper! That was a good pickup on Sunsets wording.