Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Vehicle inspections and registration

Inspections
I've searched and can't find out if the DMV has any modified regulations currently in force regarding vehicle inspections.

I don't think it's possible to get a car inspected without the mechanic getting in the car and touching things. When I got my oil changed last time, I had a hard time getting the mechanic to respect my request that he not get in my car and to respect social distancing. We don't have much control over that situation.

All I could find out is that the fine for driving an uninspected car is $60. Anyone know about any other consequences of just not getting your car inspected this year?

Other states have suspended inspections. New York State isn't requiring inspections for 2021 (to the best of my knowledge).

Registrations
Is it possible to register your car without going into your local town office?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Your last question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Inspections
I've searched and can't find out if the DMV has any modified regulations currently in force regarding vehicle inspections.

I don't think it's possible to get a car inspected without the mechanic getting in the car and touching things. When I got my oil changed last time, I had a hard time getting the mechanic to respect my request that he not get in my car and to respect social distancing. We don't have much control over that situation.

All I could find out is that the fine for driving an uninspected car is $60. Anyone know about any other consequences of just not getting your car inspected this year?

Other states have suspended inspections. New York State isn't requiring inspections for 2021 (to the best of my knowledge).

Registrations
Is it possible to register your car without going into your local town office?
I do not have comment for most of your post, but concerning your last question, in Alton you can mail your renewal registration to the town hall, attn; town clerk.

FWIW, we have dealt with our town hall in Alton and felt very comfortable. Temp and contact info is taken at the door. Makes worn, plastic barriers at work stations, easy in and out. Sanitizer going in sanitizer going out.

Dave
Old 01-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

1. Inspection: I usually just drop my car off and leave. However, ifI stauy, I think I can stay in the car and operate the lights, brakes, wipers, etc. without a mechanic entering the car. I suggest you call some inspection stations instead of posting here. If they want to talk to you don't roll down the window, call the cell #. Tip BIG for the special service.
2. Registration: Online or by mail. Call your Town Clerk. I think they can send somebody into the parking lot.
3. Stay home. Get groceries and TP from Instacart. There are many other delivery services. When I stopped driving, I found somebody on FB to handle errands, so I'm not a Covid worrier.
After awhile, being a non-driver isn't so bad except for the incessant phone calls trying to sell me car maintenance insurance.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #4
tummyman

I used my towns on line registration system. Cost was small to register a car and two trailers at the same time. Very simple. I used their electronic check option to avoid big credit card fees. New registrations and all the stickers were in my mailbox in three days. I believe you can use this on line system in any town.

I have the same issue with inspections. I do not want them in my car and I do not want to go inside to pay.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
I have the same issue with inspections. I do not want them in my car and I do not want to go inside to pay.
So what do you plan to do?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default Valvoline Oil - Union Ave, Laconia

Last September, Valvoline Oil Change on Union Ave, Laconia had their small waiting room closed and had a single, solitary chair for customers located way back up the rear corner area of the parking lot for customers to sit and wait during the state inspection.

One employee, wearing a mask like it is supposed to be worn, approached and asked what I wanted, had me pay the $50 with a small portable credit card device, and then moved my car into inspection position at the garage.

He wore gloves as well as a mask and seemed to be very competent.

About fifteen minutes later, he waved to me to come get car which failed inspection, told me it needs windshield wiper blades, one small marker light bulb, and the 3-4 holes on door from hit & run must be repaired with Bondo and spray paint in order to get a state sticker. My car had over 200k miles and they took a long look at the brakes as well.

I went to Walmart and got a five dollar can of Bondo plus the other items cause having a state sticker is necessary and required. An expired sticker is easily seen by the local police.

Allstate paid me $1935 after deducting the $250-deductible and I end up fixing it with a five dollar Bondo plus spray paint that I already have ...... k-k-k-chinga-ching-ching! ..... ..... is easily the world's greatest Bondo repair job ever done! ...
Old 01-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Let it sit

If I was worried about the person inspecting my car, I'd plan to leave it there for a few days after the inspection. That way, the virus critters would expire and the car would be safe again. Did you know that you can get your car inspected up to three months in advance? Plenty of time to make a plan to let it sit.
VitaBene (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
1. Inspection: I usually just drop my car off and leave. However, ifI stauy, I think I can stay in the car and operate the lights, brakes, wipers, etc. without a mechanic entering the car. I suggest you call some inspection stations instead of posting here. If they want to talk to you don't roll down the window, call the cell #. Tip BIG for the special service.
2. Registration: Online or by mail. Call your Town Clerk. I think they can send somebody into the parking lot.
3. Stay home. Get groceries and TP from Instacart. There are many other delivery services. When I stopped driving, I found somebody on FB to handle errands, so I'm not a Covid worrier.
After awhile, being a non-driver isn't so bad except for the incessant phone calls trying to sell me car maintenance insurance.
Any vehicle that gets a " legitimate " state inspection has to be put up on a lift...I don't think there'd be many places that would let the vehicle owner position the car on a lift, let alone go up for the ride...liability concerns you know. Technicians also have to access the OBD connector under the dashboard to run emission testing. I am thinking that law enforcement might be a little more lenient with state inspection given the pandemic, but that's only an assumption...good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
gillygirl

I drove around for 3 months in NH and MA with my expired MA inspection sticker. I always wondered if officers would rather minimize their risk than pull someone over. Now that I’m back in Floriduh, I don’t think traffic stops are prioritized ever, and they have no inspection.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #10
SailinAway

So what's the penalty for being stopped with an expired sticker? I believe there's a $60 fine, but what happens if you pay the fine and you still don't get an inspection? I assume the police will give you XX days to get an inspection.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default No sticker?

In my day, two tickets for non-inspection counted the same as a speeding ticket for insurance rates. i.e. two non-inspections plus a speed counted as a point, loss of safe driver credit and a % penalty until one of the items was older than three years old.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
So what's the penalty for being stopped with an expired sticker? I believe there's a $60 fine, but what happens if you pay the fine and you still don't get an inspection? I assume the police will give you XX days to get an inspection.
The police are not required to give you any days to get you car inspected once you have passed the period when one is required by law. A first citation does not keep you from getting a second or third citation. If you continue to drive the uninspected vehicle you could get a second ticket 5 minutes down the road.

You may get some leniency in the court on the dispensation of subsequent tickets but that is not the job of the police. A continuing violation is a continuing violation.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #13
FlyingScot

Quote:
Depends on the officer. I was let off with a warning when stopped with an old sticker. Separately, my wife was not allowed to move her car, a late model Audi in the leafy suburbs. I can't remember if her tears resulted in a tow truck or the absolute jackass of a cop letting her go. Either way--it was traumatic and a lot worse than $60
Old 01-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
TheProfessor

Quote:
Inspections

All I could find out is that the fine for driving an uninspected car is $60.
Decades ago. I had forgotten to get inspection sticker for my old pickup truck.
Got stopped in Salem, NH.

I was told by local police officer that I would have to get my truck towed to a lot. That vehicle is not legal to drive on NH roads. Without a valid inspection sticker.

Officer asked me how I planned to get home. I advised officer that I would have to hitch hike.

Officer told me to drive home and get an inspection sticker.

On another note. Caught with a past due inspection adds points to your insurance or whatever. That so many points and one will lose license/driving privileges.

Not sure if New Hampshire still has some sort of point system.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:15 PM   #15
rick35

My vehicles are due for inspection and registration in March. Last year Mass extended their inspection dates but NH did not. I understood from my car shop that NH wasn't ticketing for non-inspection so I didn't get inspections until June when we started to understand covid a little better. I'll get them inspected on time this year.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Registration & Inspection

Laconia has online registration for vehicles already registered. You will get the stickers in 2 or 3 days. For new registration or any city clerk visit, go around 11a or 3p, Mon-Fri. It's usually a ghost town.

As for inspection I call ahead and make an appointment at German Motorsport. They will take the car right away! If asked they will pick up and drop off.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:00 AM   #17
CooperS7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
If I was worried about the person inspecting my car, I'd plan to leave it there for a few days after the inspection. That way, the virus critters would expire and the car would be safe again. Did you know that you can get your car inspected up to three months in advance? Plenty of time to make a plan to let it sit.
The law actually reads "If the month in which the anniversary of the owner's birth occurs will be one of the next 4 months, an inspection sticker may be issued, with an expiration date of the birth month in the following year..."

Furthermore, you have 10 days from the last day of your birth month to have the vehicle inspected. So technically, you can have your car inspected over 5 months earlier than required by law, and that inspection sticker would maintain validity for the next ~17 months.

For example, my birthday is in August, so legally my vehicles need to be inspected before 10-September of any given year. If I want to have the inspection done early this year, I could bring them in as soon as 1-April-21, leaving me free of vehicle inspections until 10-September-22.

I agree with Lakegeezer 100% in that if COVID is a true concern of yours; find an inspection station that has the space to store it and will allow you to leave it for a few days. You'd be able to pay via phone, and could pick up after whatever period of time in which you feel comfortable has passed. Plan accordingly, and hopefully COVID will no longer be a consideration ~17+ months down the road when you need to have it inspected again.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
I agree with Lakegeezer 100% in that if COVID is a true concern of yours; find an inspection station that has the space to store it and will allow you to leave it for a few days. You'd be able to pay via phone, and could pick up after whatever period of time in which you feel comfortable has passed. Plan accordingly, and hopefully COVID will no longer be a consideration ~17+ months down the road when you need to have it inspected again.
Good idea in theory but I have no way to get home. My trusted mechanic is 20 miles away.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #19
CooperS7777

Quote:
Good idea in theory but I have no way to get home. My trusted mechanic is 20 miles away.
Perhaps your trusted mechanic has the ability to pick it up, inspect it and drop it off? Or maybe a family member or spouse could give you a ride home?

If nothing else, and you cant find a solution, feel free to PM me. Id be happy to come to your house, pick up your vehicle, and bring it to you mechanic for inspection, free of charge. You can setup the appointment, pay your mechanic over the phone, and afterward you can leave the car in your driveway or garage for a few days until your comfortable that anything left behind has cleared up.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Two trusting mechanics in Laconia area.

Quote:
I do know the dealers will pick up and deliver at a price. When the MB was brand new with free scheduled maintenance. They would pick up and deliver. The dealer is located in Manchester and I am located here in Laconia! Can't beat that!
Old 02-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #21
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Laconia has online registration for vehicles already registered. You will get the stickers in 2 or 3 days. For new registration or any city clerk visit, go around 11a or 3p, Mon-Fri. It's usually a ghost town.

As for inspection I call ahead and make an appointment at German Motorsport. They will take the car right away! If asked they will pick up and drop off.
Thanks BroadHopper, didn't know that about 'German Motorsports' policy on inspections

My mechanic is at 'Harmon Motors' directly behind G.M., but they require an appt. for inspections, this makes it somewhat inconvenient....
Old 02-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Roll 'em

It sounds like you have to roll the dice on getting a ticket if you cant risk any exposure! I have to ask, have you not left your house or has =d contact with anyone else for going on a year?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #23
MeredithMan

Default For whatever it's worth...

...I've had two cars inspected in January the old-fashioned way, (drive up and let the inspector take it from there), plus had new tires put on one of the vehicles at a tire shop, and the other vehicle was in to the dealer for its regular check up. We've been pretty cautious over the last 12 months...not eating out or doing anything other than going to grocery stores, gas stations, and the hooch store. To be honest, I didn't even think about the cars getting "infected" with the service people touching them, but we are just fine....
Old 02-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #24
hd333

I can understand the fear of contracting the virus from contact with people, but for the actual inspection the fear seems a bit irrational.

Since this is an appointment only place make your appointment, tell them you want no contact, ask them where to leave the car, leave the registration and $ on the seat and take a walk. Tell them to leave your receipt/keys on the seat (or wherever you want) with the windows down and you will pick it up when you are ready. I am sure they will accommodate that in these times.

The tech should only be in the vehicle for a few minutes and they should clean it after as a regular course of action. Tech should be masked as well.

This virus is spread through close long term exposure with infected individuals, not from surface contact. But if you want to be extra cautious get some gloves and wipe the car down with Clorox wipes or whatever when you pick it up. The virus won’t be floating around in the air waiting for you....Just don’t pick your nose and eat it on the way home.

Or hold off and risk the ticket. It’s all about which risk you are willing to take. I bet any cop will give you a break if you explain why you don’t have a current inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to hd333 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (04-08-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #25
SailinAway

Follow up: I finally went to a one-mechanic garage where the mechanic didn't insist on driving my car. He put a plastic cover on the steering wheel and shifter, a sign that he was thinking about safety. Of course, there are a lot of other surfaces that he may have touched, so I sanitized things like the door handle. He left the windows open afterward. I was very satisfied with the service because I knew who was going to be inspecting my car and could discuss my concerns with that person, as opposed to a larger garage where you can't do that.