Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Windows 7

Has anyone looked into upgrading to Windows 7?

I have never been very happy with Vista, so I've been considering the upgrade.

I did run this utility from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx

I was easy and fast to run, but the results showed that more than a dozen programs and software items would need to be "upgraded" or "replaced" to be compatible with Windows 7.

More info from this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...y_and_how.html
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Took Training

Hi Steve: as part of my job training at my work, I took microsoft's training on Win 7 and also had a chance to play with it for a little bit at work.

I have xp on my computer, and ran the upgrade utility and had several items that would be questionable. I can only run 32 bit system, and so I will not be upgrading at this time, and when I do, I will be getting a new pc.

The training states most Vista programs are compatible, and obviously some are not. One thing that I am telling people is to run the utility, and make sure any important software is Win 7 compatable. If it is in question, then contact that hardware or software manufacturer for their imput. They may have developed a patch or driver that will make it compatible.

Overall, the software seems to be more user friendly, which is good for the non-techie types. Vista seemed to be at least acceptable to "Geez I love it why are people hating it I find it easy to use" types and quite a few techie types (my experiences). As the article you referenced stated, some may view it as a step backwards, but I think most will find it an improvement.

Upgrading from Vista is a relatively easy process, where go to Win 7 from XP is much more challenging. With Xp, rather than just upgrading (transferring) data, it is necessary to "migrate" information. This means it must be transferred to an external source off the computer, and after Win 7 Professional (no XP mode in Home premium) is installed, you then have to install the migrated data. Win 7 Professional has the migration software in it, and you can also download it seperately.

Long and short of it, if you are unhappy with Vista, I think you may find Win 7 much more to your liking. It does have some looks that are a little different, but overall, I think a rather short learning curve. Finding files and applications you use a lot can be easier with some of the Win 7 features.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
trfour

Default Windows 7 Info At ZDnet

Hi Steve; I've been looking into Windows 7 as well. Heres a very informative page out at ZDnet that will answer most questions.

Link; http://news.zdnet.com/2463-9595_22-286664.html

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
DRH

Default Running Fine Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 last Thursday. The installation went flawlessly. During the first part of the process I got a message box saying that a few of my applications might have problems under Windows 7, but they were limited to "Dell Support" software, a user interface application for my computer's ATI graphics card (which provided access to features of my graphics card I don't need or use), and my Apple iTunes software.

Before proceeding with the upgrade, I uninstalled the "Dell Support Center" and ATI user interface software, but I did not uninstall my iTunes software. When the Windows 7 upgrade was complete, I ran the iTunes program and it runs fine. I can easily do without the Dell Support Center and the ATI user interface applications.

Since the upgrade, I have run all of my application programs and each of them runs fine. My computer boots and shuts down faster than it did running Vista, and all my application software seems to run faster as well. Following the upgrade I had no problem with any of my existing device drivers, and my HP printer and Epson scanner both function fine.

In my case the upgrade process took about 3 hours. After answering a few questions at the beginning of the process (e.g. did I want to "upgrade" my existing system or install a completely clean version of Windows 7, etc.), the process required no user intervention until near the end when I was asked to type in my Windows 7 license key.

All in all, I am quite impressed with Windows 7, especially with my system's increased speed.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
fpartri497

Default windows 7

witch version of windows 7 did you Install?? I* went to best buy the 24th. and refused to pay $320.00 for the pro version. So I havent done anything yet. I have been running Vistsa since Its intro, and I still HATE It.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Windows 7 utility

When I ran the Windows 7 compatibility utility on my Compaq laptop (Presario F700) it says the machine is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit OS. My machine is a 32 bit machine!
The utility software says the NVIDIA graphic software is not compatible and there is no known upgrade. The HP web site listed laptops with NVIDIA graphic packages running Windows 7. I am really confuse?!?!?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Thanks All

I'm most concerned about these two messages.

Name:  Zone Alarm.JPG
Views: 2486
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  iTunes warning.JPG
Views: 2463
Size:  23.5 KB

The Zone Alarm would be expensive to replace and the itunes would be a pain to re-install.

I think I'll wait a bit and see how it goes for a few pioneers before I wade in.

I may, however, have to change my signature. I don't think I'm up to that big of a scavenger hunt!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
witch version of windows 7 did you Install?? I* went to best buy the 24th. and refused to pay $320.00 for the pro version. So I havent done anything yet. I have been running Vistsa since Its intro, and I still HATE It.

I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade version. It's widely available for $119.99. The Windows 7 Professional upgrade version is available at Staples for $199.99: http://www.staples.com/Windows-7-Pro...?cmArea=SEARCH
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
DRH

Default Possible Solutions

Quote:
I'm most concerned about these two messages.

Attachment 3156

Attachment 3157

The Zone Alarm would be expensive to replace and the itunes would be a pain to re-install.

I think I'll wait a bit and see how it goes for a few pioneers before I wade in.

I may, however, have to change my signature. I don't think I'm up to that big of a scavenger hunt!
Steve - if you have a current subscription to ZoneAlarm Security Suite, you can download and install version 9.1.008 from their website ... it is compatible with Windows 7.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Also, the current version of iTunes is 9.0.1, which runs fine on my system under Windows 7.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Last edited by DRH; 10-25-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added ZoneAlarm & iTunes Download Links
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
magicrobotmonkey

Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" is coming out soon and it's free! I know I'll be upgrading on release day, and I don't even need a disc to do it!

edit: forgot the link! http://www.ubuntu.com/
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Chickie

Default Is Google Getting Into the Act?

I heard recently that Google is coming out with an operating system the first of the year (February, I believe). Is this true?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Google Web browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
I heard recently that Google is coming out with an operating system the first of the year (February, I believe). Is this true?
There is a Google web browser out that replaces Internet Explorer. Never tried it.
http://www.google.com/chrome

Google is on an operating system. If it's not out already.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

There is a mobile OS called Android. I think it is coming out in Nov.
http://code.google.com/android/
Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default A Few Thoughts

1. Windows 7 is indeed very stable and user friendly. I've been running the free trial for a few months and I'm impressed.

2. If you want to try the Enterprise version free for 90 days click here.

3. Amazon.com is selling a 3 pack of the Home version for $149. Click here.

4. I just received a free full copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. This paragraph on the packaging jumped out at me:

Quote:
If you are unpgrading from Windows XP, you will need to back up your files and settings, perform a clean install and then re-install your existing files, settings and programs.
This is not good. I'm not sure yet if that applies to all versions but I'm very surprised there is no upgrade path for the Ultimate version I received.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
magicrobotmonkey

Default I'm a computer guy..

As I understand it, to get from XP to 7, you will need to move anything you want to keep off your computer and do a clean install, there is no upgrade path from XP to 7. From vista to 7, you are *supposed to* be able to upgrade, but given the shortcomings of vista, I'd be backing up data before attempting that anyways.

Google's mobile os android has been out for a long time now, it was only on tmobile to start. It is coming to verzon very soon, within the next month, on a motorola phone that's being called the "Droid"

Googles desktop os is a long ways off, and no one knows that sorts of devices they plan on introducing it on.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
1. Windows 7 is indeed very stable and user friendly. I've been running the free trial for a few months and I'm impressed.

4. I just received a free full copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. This paragraph on the packaging jumped out at me:

This is not good. I'm not sure yet if that applies to all versions but I'm very surprised there is no upgrade path for the Ultimate version I received.
I'm not sure how good this is, but here is the MS step by step to upgrading from XP.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l..._UpgradeFromXP
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
fpartri497

Default Windows 7

well today I Installed windows 7 proffesional upgrade with no Issues. It basically Installed itself and very quickly. This platform runs very fast compared to vista witch i hated from day one. I hr. Installation. done Im allready happy with It

Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
Kamper

I read an article about it the other day. Supposedly, it's mostly Vista after some extensive therapy. It requires less RAM to operate so it should be faster. There was more but I'm tech-tarded so that's what grabbed me.

I'm not going to up-grade from Vista Home Premium. I'll get whatever's current when I buy my next "surf-board."
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
trfour

Default Great News, fpartri497...

Quote:
well today I Installed windows 7 proffesional upgrade with no Issues. It basically Installed itself and very quickly. This platform runs very fast compared to vista witch i hated from day one. I hr. Installation. done Im allready happy with It

I got caught between a rock and a hard place some months back when my old computer died. I knew I didn't want to buy a new computer with vista, as I had read all about the discomfort of others with, so I looked online and found a nice inspiron 531 Dell direct buy New, with XP for $249.00 . CPU only, as I had a good monitor. Looking at Windows 7, I'm in no particular hurry to upgrade. Although you need to keep XP updated and firewalled, and that I've had very good luck with, I'm going to let others
work out the kinks with W-7.

Side note; Hey, FLL is roll'in in the $$$$$$$ that he has pocketed over and since the many years he's been running Web-TV! He told me that he only had to buy four sets of seatbelts for it over the last 15 years!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 10-27-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
hazelnut

Quote:

As a "Mac Guy" the new commercials really strike me as pretty funny. Seeing all those "PC Users" with boxes like they are moving. I really don't want to turn this into a Mac v PC debate as both do well at "what they do" but man oh man has Microsoft had some major blunders lately. They're practically gift wrapping customers to Apple. The latest blunder that comes to mind is the whole "Windows 7" party packs where people were supposed to host little kick off parties across the country??? Who the heck is Microsoft employing in their marketing department? Let's not even get started on the whole Bill Gates, Jerry Seinfeld campaign.

I am excited to try out Windows 7 though. As I said I am a "Mac Guy" but I am also a Technoholic and I love anything new. I'm curious to give "7" a test drive.

-H
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
... my Compaq laptop (Presario F700) it says the machine is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit OS. My machine is a 32 bit machine!...
Your Presario F700 probably has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU which is 64 bit. The windows software you are running is the 32 bit version which will run on a 64 bit machine. .... Yes, it can be confusing.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
VtSteve

Same here H. I run a Windows system framework at the office, but have gradually phased out many of them. I use my Macbook exclusively now, and have one accounting application using XP when I attach it to the network. I've used W7, and it doesn't suck nearly as much as Vista. A few of the parts they copied from OSX now function smoothly, as opposed to not at all

While I do appreciate little no problems, I still view computers as a tool for me to use, not work on. In that respect, I have little use for Windows anymore. W7 is basically Vista SP3 or 4, depending on how you look at it. I just wonder how much real growth there is in copying the best you can.

For people that have limited needs, you can get a decent notebook for $500 or so, but many of the desktops are still a little stripped down. One of the biggest benefits of running 64-bit Windows is that 32-bit Windows cannot address more than 4 GB of memory. (technically, 3.5 GB.) Unfortunately, the Vista 32 path to W7 64 bit isn't as seamless as it should be.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #22
fpartri497

Default windows 7 update

this morning I had a black screen and a white curser arrow and that was iT. No motion what so ever. could not even shut off the computer using the power button. I had to unplug the machine to get It to shut off. on restart It wouldnt boot up past the windows screen I had to resort to the emergency start up disc that I had made on Installation.I have NO Idea what made It go into meltdown.

every day last week, I kept getting a message that another computer was trying to hack into mine. but was blocked by my kas perskey anti virus. The machine seems to be operating O.K. now

Whats Next?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
hazelnut

Quote:
this morning I had a black screen and a white curser arrow and that was iT. No motion what so ever. could not even shut off the computer using the power button. I had to unplug the machine to get It to shut off. on restart It wouldnt boot up past the windows screen I had to resort to the emergency start up disc that I had made on Installation.I have NO Idea what made It go into meltdown.

every day last week, I kept getting a message that another computer was trying to hack into mine. but was blocked by my kas perskey anti virus. The machine seems to be operating O.K. now

Whats Next?
Get a Mac.

Sorry I just had to. Not helpful I understand.

Unfortunately it sounds like a complete reinstall is needed. We're talkin wipe out the whole hard drive and start from scratch install. Make sure you get all your Anti-Virus protections up to date before you do anything. McAfee has a nice set up. Comcast offers it for free, for subscribers.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
trfour

Default Helpful News, Windows 7....

From CNET; http://www.cnet.com/windows-7/ and there are updates most every day that will help answer questions, between ZDnet and Cnet.

fpartri497, sorry to hear about your scare! hazelnut may be right, Vista was critically vulnerable to malware up until this months patch Tuesday on the 13th. Keep us informed on what you find and there is help out on Microsoft's website as well.

To everyone, no matter what OS you are running! Keep It Up To Date and patched!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Default A little off topic

In a related problem,I have not been able to send mail from Windows Mail on my Vista os. It has run flawless for the first 4 months since being purchased. Now I can only recieve and have not changed any settings. I have tried a few fixes from online trouble shooting blogs.I keep getting this message.

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: ', Account: '####### Server: 'mail.myfairpoint.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 nA3FZn1T003625 This message does not comply with required standards.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
fpartri497

Default Vista E-Mail

siksukr:

Thats what happened to me with Vista that I had been running since Day one. All of a sudden, my E-mail wouldnt work at all with four different programs That I had. After a month, of trying to get It to work with no success windows 7 came out so I installed that. For the first week Win. 7 ran flawlessly. then went to black out. I still dont know why. Been running for 2-3 days no with no problems so far

Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
In a related problem, I have not been able to send mail from Windows Mail on my Vista os. It has run flawless for the first 4 months since being purchased. Now I can only recieve and have not changed any settings. I have tried a few fixes from online trouble shooting blogs. I keep getting this message.

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: ', Account: '####### Server: 'mail.myfairpoint.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 nA3FZn1T003625 This message does not comply with required standards.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

Any ideas?
That message is the Fairpoint mail server rejecting your message. Not sure why that would suddenly start happening, but I would try calling Fairpoint first.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
That message is the Fairpoint mail server rejecting your message. Not sure why that would suddenly start happening, but I would try calling Fairpoint first.
Uuhhg, call Fairpoint? I've been avoiding that like the plague. Thanks for the info though. I went to Fairpoint's website and now I can at least send mail on my account through their Webmail program.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #29
brk-lnt

Quote:
Uuhhg,call Fairpoint?I've been avoiding that like the plague.Thanks for the info though.I went to Fairpoint's website and now I can at least send mail on my account through their Webmail program.
I don't blame you for not wanting to call them

However, if their server is bouncing your connection, there is only so much you can do.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #30
RI Swamp Yankee

Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942495/en-us
and scroll down to Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) errors
then Error Code 0x800CCC69 and it gives this:

0x800CCC69 IXP_E_SMTP_550_MAILBOX_NOT_FOUND Mailbox not found

Looks like Server: 'mail.myfairpoint.net' doesn't recognize you. Make sure all your stttings are correct. Since you can connect to webmail you know your account still exists. I know the last thing you want to do is call a company that is in Chapter 11.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #31
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942495/en-us
and scroll down to Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) errors
then Error Code 0x800CCC69 and it gives this:

0x800CCC69 IXP_E_SMTP_550_MAILBOX_NOT_FOUND Mailbox not found

Looks like Server: 'mail.myfairpoint.net' doesn't recognize you. Make sure all your stttings are correct. Since you can connect to webmail you know your account still exists. I know the last thing you want to do is call a company that is in Chapter 11.
You're keying in on the wrong part of the error message. The 0x800CCC69 part is a very generic error message that you get for all kinds of can't-send-email problems.

The part of the message the is worth Googling is "This message does not comply with required standards", which basically leads to results that imply there is some kind of outbound filtering being applied, presumably to try and eliminate spam. The root cause is most likely a server misconfiguration on Fairpoints part, as that error message looks like a mail-server, not Outlook, generated result.

This is also in the category of issues that sometimes comes and go unexpectedly as technicians try to adjust things on the back end.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #32
Yosemite Sam

Looking at the error message it states that something is wrong with SMTP at port 25 . SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and must be right in order to send mail.

To see if your account is setup right, do the following while in windows mail:

At the top of the page click on the 'Tools' menu and then select 'Accounts'.

Highlight the problematic email account under the 'Mail' section and click on the 'Properties' button.

Click on the 'Servers' tab at the top

The incoming mail (POP3) box should say: pop.myfairpoint.net

The outgoing mail (SMTP) box should say: smtp.myfairpoint.net

Just make sure that pop and the smtp have that same thing after them. Whatever the pop says make sure the smtp says the same thing.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #33
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post

The incoming mail (POP3) box should say: pop.myfairpoint.net

The outgoing mail (SMTP) box should say: smtp.myfairpoint.net
Where did you get that info from? Fairpoint's website suggests using different mail server settings:

http://www.fairpoint.net/smtpauth/

In any event, if his email client is already setup using "mail.myfairpoint.net", changing the hostnames to pop and smtp is unlikely to change anything, as they all seem to resolve to the same ip:

86:~ brk$ nslookup mail.myfairpoint.net
Server: 71.243.0.12
Address: 71.243.0.12#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mail.myfairpoint.net
Address: 64.29.151.102

86:~ brk$ nslookup smtp.myfairpoint.net

Name: smtp.myfairpoint.net

86:~ brk$ nslookup pop.myfairpoint.net

Name: pop.myfairpoint.net
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #34
SIKSUKR

I've been through my settings over and over many times. I share a server with 2 others in my office and they have no problems at all. The one difference is the Vista os. I've googled this and have seen countless people with the same issue using Vista but have not had any luck trying suggested fixes. Thanks for all of your help. I'm sure there are many members far more savy than myself in this area. Just hoping somebody else has had the same problem and was able to resolve and pass on the fix to me.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #35
Yosemite Sam

SIKSUKR,

Could you tell me what your Windows Mail says in the blocks that I have red arrows going to?
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #36
WinnDixie

Default Left field thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I read an article about it the other day. Supposedly, it's mostly Vista after some extensive therapy. It requires less RAM to operate so it should be faster. There was more but I'm tech-tarded so that's what grabbed me.

I'm not going to up-grade from Vista Home Premium. I'll get whatever's current when I buy my next "surf-board."
I am so "tech-tarded" I didn't even read this thread until today, but I'm glad I finally did! Thanks for all the info (at least all that I could understand). I guess Kamper's philosophy is the only life preserver I dare to grab. I'm a huge pretender in the computer world, faking all the way...but if my i-Pod program gets messed with, my heart would break! I'll wait! One thing I have learned: you end up buying a new "surf board" sooner than you might think!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #37
trfour

Default Important Windows 7 Security News...

November 5th, 2009. http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=4...g=wrapper;col1

Just a reminder to stay up to date as security issues are discovered every day! ZDnet.com and Cnet.com are great at helping us all out.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #38
SIKSUKR

Quote:
SIKSUKR,

Could you tell me what your Windows Mail says in the blocks that I have red arrows going to?
Sure. Both are mail.myfairpoint.net
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #39
brk-lnt

Quote:
Sure.Both are mail.myfairpoint.net
If you can't get it to work, shoot me a PM. I can make you an account for sending email on one of my mail severs if it helps you.

I run a bit of a colocation business, so I have the resources.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #40
Lakes Region PCs

Talking It will be a much more pleasant experience than what the MS utility shows >>

Hey there guys,
I've been running the RC issue of Win7 since June, and it is Excellent! I've yet to NOT have been able to get an app running. 99% of the time they will run in "compatibility" mode, which is seemless. There are a couple things you should know that MS neglects to tell you, one is that it does not ship with an email client. So if you are used Outlook Express you'll need to download Win Live Mail, free product downloadable directly from MS. I actually have ended up liking it better than OE.

There really is just no comparison to Vista, it's completely overhauled. Speed wise it is VERY close to XP, even on older rigs running minimal processors and RAM. Boot times are comparable to XP and resource usage as well.

I've recently built a few new systems and have installed 7 on all of them.. Here are some pics and specs on the most recent, it's quite a powerhouse but by no means do you need anything close to this to run 7 smoothly..

http://www.lrpcs.com/latsetPC.htm

If anyone has any questions or needs any help regarding fresh installs or upgrades I'd be glad to help. Good luck to those that take the plunge, you'll be pleasantly surprised I'm sure!!!

Mike
mike@lrpcs.com
www.lrpcs.com

Quote:

did run this utility from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx

I was easy and fast to run, but the results showed that more than a dozen programs and software items would need to be "upgraded" or "replaced" to be compatible with Windows 7.

More info from this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...y_and_how.html
Lakes Region PCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #41
Pineedles

Default Huge fan

Mike, that is one huge mother fan in that PC! Does the processor and PS run that hot to need one that big? I think you'll need to buy some carbon offsets to run that thing.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #42
Lakes Region PCs

Default Haha, I think you are referring to the top fan?

Hi Pineedles,
Yeah that is one HUGE fan, I hadn't used that particular case before and couldn't believe it when I saw it. You would NOT believe how quite that case is. That huge fan spins at quite a low rpm but is so big that it draws out a huge volume of air. The case came with 4 fans, I added another to the one fan in the front for more front flow, plus the power supply fan, and GTX 260 fan, and the 2 back case fans. It's sitting next to an older P4 system and you literally cannot even hear the new one next to the old. It's amazing how quite the new fans are.

I forgot to post about a very good friend of mine's blog (Anura Guruge):

http://nhlife.wordpress.com/

He posts to it almost daily and is doing a migration, slowly I might add, from his XP machine to this new machine you saw pics of. He is writing of his new experiences with Win7 and it is very interesting to follow. He's lived here in Alton for some years and was on lake over on Varney point for many years. Here is also a link to his home page, he's quite an interesting guy, and dare I say "genius" in many areas.
http://www.guruge.com/

BTW Pineedles are you running Win7 yet or still waiting to take the leap?

Mike
www.lrpcs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Mike, that is one huge mother fan in that PC! Does the processor and PS run that hot to need one that big? I think you'll need to buy some carbon offsets to run that thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #43
hockeypuck

Just buy a mac. Set it and forget it!
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #44
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Sure.Both are mail.myfairpoint.net

Thank you,

As long as there is a POP. in front of the outgoing mail and a SMPT. in front the incoming mail, than that section is filled out properly.

Example:
POP.mail.myfairpoint.net
SMTP.mail.myfairpoint.net
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #45
brk-lnt

Quote:
Thank you,

As long as there is a POP. in front of the outgoing mail and a SMPT. in front the incoming mail, than that section is filled out properly.

Example:
POP.mail.myfairpoint.net
SMTP.mail.myfairpoint.net

The POP and SMTP make no difference at all. And you have them backwards anyway, POP is an incoming mail protocol, and SMTP is an outgoing/sending protocol. And what happens if he wants to use IMAP instead of POP for his email??

The hostnames you gave him don't even resolve to anything:
brks-macbook-pro:~ brk$
brks-macbook-pro:~ brk$ nslookup pop.mail.myfairpoint.net
Server: 66.203.66.203
Address: 66.203.66.203#53

** server can't find pop.mail.myfairpoint.net: NXDOMAIN

If you use "pop.mail.myfairpoint.net" it will NEVER work because there are no DNS entries for that.

mail.myfairpoint.net
pop.myfairpoint.net
and
smtp.myfairpoint.net are all functionally equivalent in this case. They all go to the same server, and you could use them all interchangeably for all practical purposes.

brks-macbook-pro:~ brk$ nslookup pop.myfairpoint.net

Name: pop.myfairpoint.net

brks-macbook-pro:~ brk$ nslookup smtp.myfairpoint.net

Name: smtp.myfairpoint.net

brks-macbook-pro:~ brk$ nslookup mail.myfairpoint.net

Name: mail.myfairpoint.net
Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #46
SIKSUKR

brk-int is correct.My incoming server is pop3 and the outgoing is smtp.Still no clue.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #47
Lakes Region PCs

Default You're on Fairpoing DSL eh Siksukr?

I just setup my relates pc on fairpoint and this is what I used for incoming and outgoing servers I believe. I will verify tomorrow seeing how it's 1am now.. but pretty sure I used:

pop3.myfairpoint.net ----> For incoming
smtp.myfairpoint.net ----> For outgoing

Think the only difference from what prk sent is the addition of the "3" after pop, again I'm not 100% positive and will double check, but if you get this tonight try it. Alsy I don't think you need to check "authentication" in the setup, as opposed to Metrocast. If you still are having probs, call me and I'll conf in the person I just set up, should be smooth sailing from there. Good luck!!!

Mike T.
mike@lrpcs.com
293-4970

Quote:
brk-int is correct. My incoming server is pop3 and the outgoing is smtp. Still no clue.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #48
SIKSUKR

Mike, just so you know, I didn't just set-up this account. It's been active for months. I have not changed a thing. One day it just letting me send mail. It still recieves fine. I have all my settings written down from original entrys and copied these when I bought a new Vista os pc. It ran flawless for 5 months and then wham. I've seen this same problem has occurred with many other Vista owners and have not had any luck trying suggested fixes. If you still think you can help me I would be thrilled. Let me know.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #49
Lakes Region PCs

Hey again Siksukr (great nic btw),
Brk was right you can use any one of those servers actually. I just verified what I had used when I set up the relatives system, just mail.myfairpoint.net for both incoming and outgoing. The only other thing I can think of that could affect your outgoing is this:
When you're in the properties / servers tab check under "outgoing mail" towards the bottom, under where you have your servers are typed in, and make sure "my server requires authentication" is checked. You've probably triple checked all that already but just in case....

Hope this helps,
Mike
www.lrpcs.com

Quote:
Mike, just so you know, I didn't just set-up this account. It's been active for months. I have not changed a thing. One day it just letting me send mail. It still recieves fine. I have all my settings written down from original entrys and copied these when I bought a new Vista os pc. It ran flawless for 5 months and then wham. I've seen this same problem has occurred with many other Vista owners and have not had any luck trying suggested fixes. If you still think you can help me I would be thrilled. Let me know.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #50
SIKSUKR

It is. Tried both ways.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #51
Lakes Region PCs

Wow that is very strange, and you can receive mail fine right? You have a router in setup? And everything else like web browsing etc works fine?

Also make sure that the "server requires auth" is the ONLY one checked, any of those other options will cause problems.

Quote:
It is.Tried both ways.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #52
SIKSUKR

Recieves just fine. Nothing else is checked.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #53
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Since I didn't see it mentioned I just want to throw this out there:

Are you definitely connected to the Internet through Fairpoint? If you are connected through Metrocast they will not allow any other SMTP server on port 25 to be used. Some other ISP's have similar restrictions. Incoming POP will work but not outgoing SMTP.

If you are connected through Fairpoint and using their SMTP server they would be the ones to help you with this.

For $20 a year DYNDNS (a NH company) offers a SMTP server called MailHop Outbound that can be set to several different ports to get around ISP and network restrictions. I use it and it works great wherever I go, even with Metrocast connections.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate for several weeks without any problems. I'm running VMWare Workstation 7 on it so I have Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu running simultaneously on the same box. For those interested VMWare is a virtualization program that partitions one physical computer into several virtual machines. Each virtual machine can interact independently with other devices, applications, data and users as though it were a separate physical computer. The advantages are many. This site is running in a virtual machine!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #54
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
... Are you definitely connected to the Internet through Fairpoint? If you are connected through Metrocast they will not allow any other SMTP server on port 25 to be used. Some other ISP's have similar restrictions. Incoming POP will work but not outgoing SMTP....
For outgoing SMTP port change it from port 25 to port 1025. I just tested port 1025 and it works (telnet mail.myfairpoint.net 1025 and you will connect to a mail server)

{edit} My ISP, Cox, also blocks port 25
Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #55
RI Swamp Yankee

I just realized, the previous post is for myfairpoint.net not fairpoint.net
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #56
VtSteve

Quote:

Are you definitely connected to the Internet through Fairpoint? If you are connected through Metrocast they will not allow any other SMTP server on port 25 to be used. Some other ISP's have similar restrictions. Incoming POP will work but not outgoing SMTP.

If you are connected through Fairpoint and using their SMTP server they would be the ones to help you with this.

For $20 a year DYNDNS (a NH company) offers a SMTP server called MailHop Outbound that can be set to several different ports to get around ISP and network restrictions. I use it and it works great wherever I go, even with Metrocast connections.

By the way, I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate for several weeks without any problems. I'm running VMWare Workstation 7 on it so I have Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu running simultaneously on the same box. For those interested VMWare is a virtualization program that partitions one physical computer into several virtual machines. Each virtual machine can interact independently with other devices, applications, data and users as though it were a separate physical computer. The advantages are many. This site is running in a virtual machine!
Interested in that Don. I have a client that needs to run some older DOS-based COBOL software, currently running on both W2K and XP-Pro clients. Any limitations to what VMWare can do, or is it pretty seamless?

I think we were going that way, because we wanted a backup internet server to be able to put the older systems in a bubble, so to speak.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #57
Lakes Region PCs

Webmaster,
Hey there, I've been thinking about setting up a box running VMware. How is the performance though? Much degradation with all 3 OS's running, how smooth is 7?
Thanks,
Mike

Quote:

Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #58
brk-lnt

I've also been a VMWare/virtualization user for years.

VMWare works pretty good overall, the biggest part of the performance seems to be related to how much physical memory you have and how you partition up amongst the virtual machines.

At the base level, all of the machines (real or virtual) are competing for a fixed set of resources (RAM, HDD, CPU), so uses where the overall load is light work best. I wouldn't try to run a processor intensive rendering application in a VM, unless there was no concern for the other machines. Same thing for HDD intensive apps, like maybe a streaming backup server that is going to be chugging a lot of data to disk.

For most normal day-to-day applications, a properly tuned VM is almost indistinguishable from a regular machine. My personal experience is that OS X and Linux host's tend to edge out Windows machines for the host in terms of overall performance and flexibility.

Virtualbox, xen and Parallels are other alternatives to VMWare.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #59
SIKSUKR

Just tried port 1025 and can't get that to work either. A box pops up and asks for my username and password and it keeps coming back to that box after entering the correct names. Don, I'm definately not on Metro. As I've said in past posts, I've had no problems for months and nothing has changed from a provider standpoint or my settings. It just stopped sending one day.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #60
Lakes Region PCs

It has to be something on Fairpoints end, after a quick google search, you're not the only one having email problems with these guys. Have you called them yet and have them run a log while you're trying to login and send a message? I can't think of anything else it could be......but on their end.

Quote:
Just tried port 1025 and can't get that to work either. A box pops up and asks for my username and password and it keeps coming back to that box after entering the correct names. Don, I'm definately not on Metro. As I've said in past posts, I've had no problems for months and nothing has changed from a provider standpoint or my settings. It just stopped sending one day.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #61
SIKSUKR

Thanks LR PC for the feedback. I have not called them mainly because 4 others on the same server have not had one problem. My problem started shortly after buying a new pc with vista and Googling this setup tells me I'm not alone. I do have an alternate app now so I have not been expending much effort. I will contact Fairpoint to see if they can help but I really suspect it's with my Vista. The other 2 on the server use versions of XP.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #62
brk-lnt

Quote:
Thanks LR PC for the feedback. I have not called them mainly because 4 others on the same server have not had one problem. My problem started shortly after buying a new pc with vista and Googling this setup tells me I'm not alone. I do have an alternate app now so I have not been expending much effort. I will contact Fairpoint to see if they can help but I really suspect it's with my Vista. The other 2 on the server use versions of XP.
To be clear, the *error* message is from Fairpoint's server indicating that they didn't like the format of the email message being sent out.

Your mail client (some form of Outlook, I assume) is the program that is actually constructing the email message (headers and all the other bits you don't commonly see from a user perspective) and sending it to the Fairpoint server for delivery.

It's impossible to tell from the information posted which end is the one with the real issue (is Fairpoint rejecting a standards-compliant email message, or is Outlook doing something wrong).

I would still call Fairpoint first, even though it is *probably* some setting on your PC. They have most likely gotten this problem from a lot of users and know what you need to do/change to make it all work.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #63
Lakes Region PCs

Default Ongoing Email Nightmare

Hey There Siksukr,
Hey man, did you ever get your outgoing mails to work? If not let me know, I'll keep working with you. If you want I'll come take a look at your system. No charge, just let me know if you still need help.
Mike
www.lrpcs.com
mike@lrpcs.com

Quote:
Recieves just fine. Nothing else is checked.