Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
KTO

Exclamation Maximum Image Resolution?

Having been living on the ice-out page for the past two weeks, I've found it particularly difficult to read the posts since some of the pictures really extend past the default resolution on my laptop.

Could we have a maximum image size (400x300) or something relative so that images don't stretch the page and make it difficult to read? I took a web-page design course in high school and I learned that it is difficult and annoying to users to have to scroll sideways on any page (That's why mouses tend to have their scroll wheel only go up and down!).

Alternatively what we could do for larger images is have them linked separately. That way, you could still see the beautiful and large images, just not in the forum space.

Anyone else agree with this?

KTO
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
brk-lnt

A max resolution makes sense, but it should be at least 1024x768. No need to force everyone to post "thumbnails".
Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I just fixed a few of the really big pictures that were stretching the Ice-Out page. It's usually not a problem and I can easily resize them.

Someone in another thread recommended TinyPic for resizing and storing pictures for forums like this. Their recommended image size for message boards is 640X480 and I agree.

edit: There is an add-on that will convert all attached images to thumbnails that would open up the full size picture in a lightbox. I'll put trying that on my to-do list although right now it's pretty long.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Nice free app for resizing

I found this software a few years back. Free and Simple.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face Attachments vs PhotoPost Links

One problem with posting pictures as an attachment instead of posting to PhotoPost like I should have done was the way they got stacked. Some were stacked on top of each other and the next post had two pictures side by side and one underneath. I did not see a way to fix that problem. I initially posted one per post, but that became time consuming. I’ll be more careful in the future.

The ice-out thread does look much better with the re-sized pictures. Thanks Don.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
One problem with posting pictures as an attachment instead of posting to PhotoPost like I should have done was the way they got stacked. Some were stacked on top of each other and the next post had two pictures side by side and one underneath. I did not see a way to fix that problem.
Attached pictures wrap like text depending on the display size. The pictures will keep appearing next to each other until there is no more room and then they'll wrap to the next line. If you adjust the window size of your browser you'll see them move around.

I think the software was designed that way to maximize the use of the available space.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote