Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Bob House

Finally had the opportunity to try the Bob House restaurant for lunch this past Friday. My wife and I along with a couple friends were traveling through Moultonborough and decided to give it a try. All four of us were very pleased with service, food and drinks! The sandwiches we ordered were large and loaded with meat and the drinks (Bloody Mary) were of a good pour. Our waitress was personable and attentive as well.

We will definitely be back!

Dan
trfour (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
phoenix

their haddock is the best for the price ( to me) in the lakes region . I never try anything else. order the regular baked haddock last I thing it was $16
Old 02-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
SteveO123

I am a huge fan of the Bob House's haddock. Fantastic and reasonably priced. Bon appetit!
Steve
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
SAB1

Love that place especially for lunch. Good food and big portions.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
neckdweller

Something I learned the last time I was up in Moultonborough is that the Bob House now takes reservations. Good news if you've ever gotten there and been told the wait is 45 minutes to an hour.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
ACME on the Broads

Default St. Patrick's Day Dinner At the Bob House

Stopped in last night and had a fantastic Corned Beef, Potato, Carrot and Cabbage dinner.......service was fantastic, physical building was clean and the food, out of this world. If you haven't tried the Bob House lately, do yourself a favor and give it a try, you'll be glad you did.

Great Job Bob House Team!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
elbie

Default Bob House

We'll be heading up that way the 2nd week in June to do a little fishing and will give it a try! Thanks!
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
longislander

The wife and I have been doing the BoBHouse for quite a while. After new management a while back, every Friday night is a short trip there, and I get my weekly fix of Tackle Box sampler; baked haddock with a couple of large shrimp and a couple of of large scallops. There's always the choice of rice, baked potato, or tavern fries along with a veggie.

The wife likes her chicken parmigiana, with chicken beaten flat, and served on penne pasta.

She gets her wine, and I get my IPA on draft.

Never tired of the menu. We'll order the prime rib, once in a while, and it's great!

I don't normally do reviews, but they deserve some acclaim.

The staff are great as well.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #9
hd333

Went to the Bob House last Friday and I was impressed with the food. Good wings and burgers. Now I just need to convince the wife and kids to go there instead of our go to the Corner House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Blyblvrd

We've stopped in the Bob House for years during bike week but never ate. Never thought much about the place until we recently bought a small place down the road. My favorite food choices in the Meredith-Moultonborough area are: Village Kitchen for Breakfast, Bob House for lunch/casual dinner/takeout and Lavinia's for cocktails/apps/fancy dinner. Bob House food is fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Just went Saturday night for the first time after reading the reviews here. The food was very good but they sat us in the bar section on the right as you walk in and it was a very loud and rowdy crowd. We were there early too, about 6pm. One table near us downed about 4 rounds of shots in the short time we were there and they were still going strong when we left. I hope they weren't driving. Next time I'm going to ask for the dining room.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
Lakeboater

Went for the first time today for lunch. Sat in the bar which was quiet. Our lunch was very good. The Tackle Box was delicious. We will definitely go back!
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

For the last four years, we've been a Canoe family, but three weeks ago a weird scenario brought us to the Bob House. That dinner wasn't perfect--they were out of prime rib at 7 on a Thursday--but the second half of my surf 'n turf, the seafood was very good, so we went back with some friends a week later. I had the shrimp and corn chowder and seafood platter, and both were AWESOME. Went again tonight, and another home run. Not sure how quickly we'll be going back to Canoe (though we've always had good experiences there).

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #14
tummyman

Two weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, we called to make reservations for a party of 12....my granddaughters 16th birthday celebration. We've eaten there many times and really enjoyed the food. I was told by the hostess that we could not be seated until 8:15PM as they were swamped, or we could come in at 4:00. Disappointed, we went elsewhere. But on driving by the front door of the Bob House as we went and returned from our second choice, the parking lot was hardly packed. It was maybe 25% full. We were not treated honestly by the hostess and were greatly disappointed. Not the way to run a business. If they were short staffed, we might have understood, but to be told that a 4+ hour window had no chance of being served seemed very unreasonable.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Two weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, we called to make reservations for a party of 12....my granddaughters 16th birthday celebration. We've eaten there many times and really enjoyed the food. I was told by the hostess that we could not be seated until 8:15PM as they were swamped, or we could come in at 4:00. Disappointed, we went elsewhere. But on driving by the front door of the Bob House as we went and returned from our second choice, the parking lot was hardly packed. It was maybe 25% full. We were not treated honestly by the hostess and were greatly disappointed. Not the way to run a business. If they were short staffed, we might have understood, but to be told that a 4+ hour window had no chance of being served seemed very unreasonable.
I'm not sure parking lot fullness is a perfect indicator of busyness, especially given they have parking out back as well. I can't imagine a restaurant turning away business--perhaps they already had a few large groups reserved.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #16
Doobs41378

We ate dinner here last night. The food was very good but the waitress was not. We were not even aware they had specials until after we ordered and heard another waitress read the specials off to another table. This was disappointing as my wife would have got the lobster roll if she knew it was being offered.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #17
Biggd

This past weekend was very busy up there. Most of the good restaurants were booked or had long waits.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #18
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm not sure parking lot fullness is a perfect indicator of busyness, especially given they have parking out back as well. I can't imagine a restaurant turning away business--perhaps they already had a few large groups reserved.

NOBODY going to this restaurant would park in the back unless the front lot was full or you were an employee. Your comment does not fit. As a matter of fact, we drove by at 5:30 and 7PM and in both instances, the front lot was maybe 25% full. So no large groups were evident. Since we were interested in 5:30PM, I saw no reason to have been turned away. I explained we would be happy to wait for a table if they were that busy, but was told they were fully booked until 8:15. If they had said they were very short staffed, I might have been more understanding, but in my opinion, I feel we were lied to, plain and simple. A three hour wait on a Sunday night is not reasonable with a stupid excuse. We were all disappointed by lack of interest in our group. It will be a while, if ever, before we venture back, as this experience left us very disappointed for a special family celebration occasion.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #19
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
NOBODY going to this restaurant would park in the back unless the front lot was full or you were an employee. Your comment does not fit. As a matter of fact, we drove by at 5:30 and 7PM and in both instances, the front lot was maybe 25% full. So no large groups were evident. Since we were interested in 5:30PM, I saw no reason to have been turned away. I explained we would be happy to wait for a table if they were that busy, but was told they were fully booked until 8:15. If they had said they were very short staffed, I might have been more understanding, but in my opinion, I feel we were lied to, plain and simple. A three hour wait on a Sunday night is not reasonable with a stupid excuse. We were all disappointed by lack of interest in our group. It will be a while, if ever, before we venture back, as this experience left us very disappointed for a special family celebration occasion.

Why would you assume you were lied to based on nothing but a guess then choose to bad mouth a place of business on a public forum? It's hard enough to keep a quality restaurant open with the lack of help and short season with unprovoked complaints.

Maybe the group cancelled. Maybe they came in a couple big SUVs. Maybe the hostess recognized your phone number and did not want to server Mr Crankypants
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Why would you assume you were lied to based on nothing but a guess then choose to bad mouth a place of business on a public forum? It's hard enough to keep a quality restaurant open with the lack of help and short season with unprovoked complaints.

Maybe the group cancelled. Maybe they came in a couple big SUVs. Maybe the hostess recognized your phone number and did not want to server Mr Crankypants
Agreed--I'm not buying the lying thing either, and, frankly, it's silly to think that. The only reasons someone would turn away a reservation would be if they were legitimately booked or didn't have the staff to provide a positive experience. If the latter, I would be thankful they cared enough to make the decision. (In my head, another recent restaurant thread addressed this "bad service vs. turning people away" topic)

At last night's dinner, there were a fair amount of tables open but clearly not enough servers to cover any more--my guess is that they reserve most of their help for Fridays and Saturdays and just have to accept less business on slow(er) nights.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
elbie

Default Glad we made the trip

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my son and I were coming up to the area for a week of fishing and would try the Bob House out. Fortunately, for us we gave it a try the night of arrival and everything was great. They were crowded that first Saturday, so we sat at the bar and the food and service was fine. Ended up eating there four out of the seven nights and all our selections were spot on. Thanks for the recommendation!
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
jbolty

Tried to go last Friday and could not even get to the bar. Got take out from Lee Wah instead so it all worked out.

I really like the calamari at Bob House with the hot peppers added
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #23
phoenix

Went there again a week ago got there at five were seated right away. When we left there were many open tables but many people waiting for 45-60 to get seated so i am sure either wait staff or kithen was short so rather than seat people and them wait in dining room they chose to let them wait in lobby. I still love the haddock for $16 . Best value meal on the lake . Seasonal help is tough to find
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #24
jeffk

This has been discussed in relationship to other restaurants, there is a serious shortage of servers and cooks available in the area. Restaurants, to maintain decent service, will only book to the number of servers working. It is up to the restaurant to determine how many people they can accommodate and it may be nowhere near the capacity of the restaurant. Some restaurants are not serving lunch to focus their staff on dinner.

I don't think it is incumbent on a restaurant to tell you WHY they cannot seat you and they are not "lying" if they don't go into the details. They probably gave you an honest assessment of their ability to handle your party and they couldn't.

If they squeezed you in and the service for you and every other patron was compromised because they were overbooked, would that have been a good solution? People would be writing reviews of bad attitude of staff (because they were overworked) and painfully slow service.

I am assuming there is no easy solution to the staffing problems because it seems to be pervasive across many restaurants and has persisted for several years now.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #25
Reilly

Default Statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

Couldn't have said it any better 😊
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:21 AM   #26
debbyi64

Yelp reviews are very good and informative

debbyi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbyi64 View Post

I never trust Yelp, and here's why: if you look at the Bob House's regular reviews, they're mostly from the 2013 time period, and are an average of 3-4. If you look at the "not recommended" ones, however, they're mostly from 2016+ and almost all 5's.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #28
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbyi64 View Post

You have to take those Yelp reviews with a grain of salt. They are not all legit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
garysanfran

Default Yelp works when....

The number of reviews is too high to have been manipulated and the reviewers have a high number of reviews also.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #30
Closetzguy

We popped in there Sunday night around 8:10.....sat on the bar side and had good service and good food. My wife said the haddock was the best she has had in a long while.
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #31
Bayview Girl

We are local and a huge fan of The Bob House! We eat there all year round and have NEVER been disappointed! It's our "Go To" restaurant for out of town company. As others have said, you CANNOT beat their haddock, hands down the best around""

Bayview Girl is offline   Reply With Quote