Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Shiny Grumman

Default concession boat on winni?

What are people's thoughts of a concession boat on winni? I know a few have tried, not sure where they went or why. What kind of products would you want to see on board? Where do you think the most convenient places would be on the lake? This is just a thought of mine, I have yet to find out about the legality of it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Shiny Grumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
Orion

Default Ice cream boat

I saw an ice cream vendor boat at the Long Island bridge beach last week.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I saw an ice cream vendor boat at the Long Island bridge beach last week.
Here it is last Thursday at the same spot. Those are 2 big freezer chests in the front.
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts

Bric's Burgers and Dogs Boat Service tried it back in 2011:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11706
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
WJT2

Default Concession Boat

Does anyone remember George Sawyer and his boat, Lyman, Milky Way? George ran a grocery boat service to some of the island from Gilford area. He would deliver your shopping list right to your dock. I think he may have been related to Sawyer's Dairy Bar and also know he worked there at the service windows and kitchen. Those were great days on the lake. Also, there was a Steelcraftb that delivere propane tanks to the island residents as well. Always exciting when these boats showed up and there was work to do after they left, take groceries from dock to camp and move the propane tanks to the camp as well. An adult would handle the line hook up. As kids we were just the grunts! Oh, to be a grunt again!
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Orion

Default Lobstah

There was also a "lobster boat" cruising around the shores selling cooked or live lobsters just a few years ago.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Here it is last Thursday at the same spot. Those are 2 big freezer chests in the front.
The ice cream boat owner lives up in Green's Basin. I use to babysit him when I was a teenager.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Barney Bear

Default Milky Way

George Sawyer delivered bread, milk and ice cream to Camp Lawrence and Camp Nokomis on the east side of Bear Island in his Chris-Craft named the Milky Way. He owned Sawyer's Dairy Bar in Gilford. Members of the Sawyer family operated this restaurant for many years. It was sold several years ago, and continues in operation under the same name (and rotating sign).
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum.

I remember food vending boats going back to the mid-60's. I've never seen one that lasted more than a couple of years. 10-12 weekends. Subtract one for wind and one or two for rain. Same applies for dinner cruise boats, and water taxi's. If your venture is part of another business, like the Winnipesaukee Belle, and you can package your boat to get weekday activity, that's a different operation than something that relies on just the boat.
For several years, we had newspaper and doughnut island deliveries on Sunday mornings, but eventually, the kids who ran it grew up and got "real" jobs.
I could be tempted to pay somebody to drive my boat, server hors d'oeuvres and drinks. Then I could enjoy the cruise with my guests instead of being the designated driver. There are several marinas around with boats big enough to support such a service, and you bypass the biggest expense: the boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Shiny Grumman (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Outdoorsman

Default concession boat on winni?

I am not familiar with concession boats on winni but, lately I have seen signs in stores for (personal shoppers?). I saw one in Hannafords for a "to go" shopper of some sort. As I understood the sign you call in your order and they have an employee "shop" and have it ready for you.

I could see something like that as an addition to the concession boat business. Have Island owners send their food order to you VIA email, you do the shopping and deliver it to the dock at a set time. Then you are open for business for the other islanders..
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Ice cream boat, 18' pontoon w/ vro 40-hp Johnson, generator and freezer on Squam Lake for sale for $6000:

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/5725742109.html

Seems like a total waste of time trying to make money as a self employed ice cream boat ........ better to go get a starter job with a reliable company or town. Plus, those vro Johnson outboards are just no danged good....... I know .....I used to have a '93 Evinrude 40 with a vro.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #12
Orion

Default U-Boat?

No, not a submarine but perhaps an "Uber" type application to hire boat rides. The fly in the ointment might be needing a commercial license to carry passengers for $.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Seems like a total waste of time trying to make money as a self employed ice cream boat ........ better to go get a starter job with a reliable company or town.
I would look at it another way. Instead of costing you money to go out for weekend boat rides, you're getting paid (however little the profit actually is) to do it. I can't imagine there's much of a hassle dealing customers - you're an ice cream man, who isn't happy to see them?

Now if you're trying to pay your mortgage doing it, that's another story.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote