Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Verizon Air Card

My family & I live south of Boston....we have a home on Dow Island and on Long Island.

My mom is purchasing a laptop to bring to Dow & Long Island.

Question....does anyone use Verizon? I spoke with them tonight about a MiFi 2200 Air Card. I gave them the zip code for Moultonboro and was told they had 100% 3G coverage there.

Now I really do not know a whole lot about what I am asking ...I am just looking to make sure that if we move ahead with this purchase that we will have coverage.

Anyone else out there use this? Any thoughts or recommendations for me.

Thanks all.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Sal

Our house is near Buzzell Cove, in Moultonborough. I have Verizon service for my "Droid". Reception is very good. Pretty much very good all around the lake.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Works Great!

I use a Verizon air card in my lap top and it works great. I have fantastic service on Welch Island and have used it on my boat all over other parts of the lake with great results. I'm sure there are some dead spots, but I haven't found them.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Guy

I love my Verizon air card on the Island or on the boat or in the car. I can create the illusion of working hard from just about anywhere around the lake. (While creating the illusion for my wife that I am relaxing)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (04-03-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Newbiesaukee

We're near Harilla's at the end of Long Island Road. Verizon cell works most,but not all, of the time.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Lucky1

Default We're near Center Harbor and use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
We're near Harilla's at the end of Long Island Road. Verizon cell works most,but not all, of the time.
Both the Verizon cell phone and the Verizon card for the computer ( I see it as a stick that I put in a USB port) have been wonderful almost 100% of the time!!! I think I get better service in NH than here in a suburb or Boston.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Mink Islander

Default Yep, I have the Verizon MIFI card too

Works well on Mink Island and is especially nice that you can run up to 5 devices at a time in your own mini wifi hotspot!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
meredith weekender

Our Verizon card works great in Meredith. Got it a coup,e of months ago and love it.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Dave R

This is great news. I'm on-call 24x7 for a week at a time, every 5 weeks or so, and in the past would never even consider going boating during one of my weeks. I got a employer-provided Verizon air card late last year and was hoping it would work well on the lake.

While I'm not looking forward to getting a customer call while on the water, the fact that I'll be able to log in to customer networks and solve problems while at anchor seems pretty cool. The ability to get real-time weather radar data and such without paying for the service on a phone rocks too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
eillac@dow

Default Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Works well on Mink Island and is especially nice that you can run up to 5 devices at a time in your own mini wifi hotspot!
So far...all the responses seem so positive....which is great. The hard part about this whole thing is...as I said...we are south of Boston...BUT we would like to TRY OUT the air card in NH...Currently, Verizon has an offer (well at least last night they did, where you can get the card for free with a 2 yr contract). Typically the card costs $400. Would love to take advantage of this (as they cannot say when the offer ends), but we have yet to order the laptop (getting a reduced price from my BIL’s company). They give you 14 days to try it out. So I would love to order it now, but what is the point if we don’t have the laptop! Perhaps we could try it with another existing laptop we own.

Mink…you say you can run up to 5 devices at one time. The Verizon person I spoke to last night mentioned that, but I failed to ask additional questions. If you run up to 5, do they charge you extra?

The monthly rates they quoted were $35, $50 & $80 per month. $35 for basic Internet surfing and the $80 for heavy downloading of movies and music. We would go with the $35.

Imagine….using the Internet on the Island!!! High Tech Baby…High Tech!

Thanks all for responding I am dying to find out if this works.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
meredith weekender

We have the $35 per month plan. The card was free!!!! You can have 5 users at once with NO extra charge. If you are NOT doing alot of downloads the $35 plan should be fine. Good luck!!!
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
ArborTech

Thumbs up Air Card

I often bring my laptop with me when looking at jobs in order to get on line and show people videos and pics of past jobs. I have in fact used it, as well as the verizon air card, on Dow island. It has worked well for me all over the lakes region.

Verizon tried to upgrade us to their new 4G network this winter, but the coverage was horrible. I would be a skeptic of that for the next few years. Gook Luck!
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Didn't someone say last time this was discussed that it was slower?
The other thing I would not like is to worry about if I used up all my time. I like not having to care how often I use the computer.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
CateP

Default 4G USB Modem

You might want to look into the LG VL600 4G USB Modem. It works on 3G networks, but will also work on the 4g network when that becomes available.
I'm going to use the prepaid plan so I don't have a contract. (1 day, 1 week 1 month...I choose)

It's going to be my back up internet access.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
GsChinadoll

If you have a Verizon smartphone (Incredible or X) as far as I know you can use your phone as a modem, connect with the USB cord that you charge with, and connect it to your laptop and get on the internet that way. You can get unlimited data on your phone for $30.00 and use it instead of an air card. But.... you should ask a kid at a Verizon store. They love to let you know how smart they are. I have never had a problem with my Verizon cellphone in Moultonboro. Borrow a friend's phone and check from the island before purchasing or signing a contract.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Thank Goodness for Verizon's Air Card!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I love my Verizon air card on the Island or on the boat or in the car. I can create the illusion of working hard from just about anywhere around the lake. (While creating the illusion for my wife that I am relaxing)
You don't really think that you're fooling me, do you? I know how much you work. At least you are at the lake and can enjoy some great breaks.

Your company sure is getting their moneys worth out of this wonderful device.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
Kamper

I'd like to get one as a backup to my Comcast service but my employer doesn't allow over-the-air service for 'net access. They claim it's a security risk. If you don't have cable or DSL you can't connect even if you have satelite service.

If some drunk takes outa pole I'll have to beg space with friends or family or take an unpaid day off.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
Lucky1

Default There used to be a dead spot.....

On a stretch going down 25 from around the Chinese restaurant down past the Meredith Village Bank or so in Center Harbor. However, even that dead spot has been gone for quite a while now. I do not know what the plans are but have had the two year contract. I have it on my cell as well. It expires and you can keep on with the plan but be free to leave at any time if you want. However once you start with a new piece of equipment, you are signed up for a new two year plan again. Before getting the Verizon Cell I asked my neighbors in different places what they used and NO ONE had any problem with Verizon. That was the cell.

I got the stick that you put in the port in the computer from Verizon some years ago. I misplaced one and went down to BJ's to get a new one. I did not realize that they were not a regular dealer and ended up with an older model even though they told me it was the latest. I would get the equipment in the city where you are when you are away from the lake or find a REGULAR DEALER FOR VERIZON. There was one near a dollar store somewhere that I happened upon but think they went under. Maybe Concord would have a Verizon? All in all for the latest equipment I found that it took longer to get to NH and be available around the Lakes Region.

I would have Comcast or one of the Verizon bundles if I were only on one location as it is true that the stick is slower by quite a bit often. I assume that they will improve.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
sharron.fugitt

If your cell is a droid you can download an app that will turn your phone into a modem. It would be cheaper to upgrade to a droid or a phone with similar capabilities than getting a new wireless air card contract with verizon.

Good luck!
sharron.fugitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharron.fugitt For This Useful Post:
beltrams (03-28-2011), Winnigirl (03-25-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
4 for Boating

I purchased the same device (MiFi 2200 Air Card) that allows up to 5 devices to attach via Wi-Fi a couple of weeks ago for our home in Meredith. Works like a charm. And for a family that has a couple of kindles (Wi-Fi) and an IPad, the fact that we can jump onto the device as well as the notebook can is great. Another nice feature that seems to work well is you can unplug it and it can run on battery.

Regarding the past question about trying one out with no commitment, if you go to BJs in Tilton, they will “loan” you free a USB type device to use with a PC that will serve to make sure you are happy with the signal and performance. Not as flexible as the 2200 device that does not need to be physically attached to anything but a nice double check to make sure you’re not in a dead spot.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #21
Mink Islander

Default No extra charge

The mifi card handles up to 5 devices at a time. They don't bill you for the # of users, it's all about the bandwith you use. I have that same $35/mo unlimited plan it sounds like you're looking at so no worries there.

Also, I haven't really noticed any loss in performance when all 4 of us have been online at the same time, but we're not generally downloading large files either. However, it doesn't stream netflix very well even with one user, but neither did my prior modem.

We've found this to be the perfect option for us given the lack of cable access and because we are north facing, no satellite access either. No more sharing the "family" USB modem. And I use it during the week commuting to Boston on the T to power my iPad (which I am now totally addicted to).
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
hampfarms

The verizon 5 spot works great! It makes your house a wireless network for up to 5 computers....
hampfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
eillac@dow

Hello All....

I just wanted to say thank you for all the responses. I really appreciate them. Not sure what I am going with yet, but all of you have provided me with great info. Thanks again..
Old 04-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
islandboater

Default Air Card works on Dow

I have the card and use it on Dow Island.

Hi...neighbor. If it ever stops snowing....see ya soon.
islandboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #25
jrc

Any feedback on real world speeds of this card. I'm thinking of just dumping my DSL and getting this for everything. My DSL is slow at 800k download how would the card compare?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #26
MikeF-NH

I have used the air card for years but am getting ready to switch over to using my iPhone. The iPhone has a "tethered" solution so it works similar to an aircard and of course has 4G speed. That said, the iPhone is AT&T which still gets service around Dow but is not as good as Verizon. I believe that the iPhone is now offered with Verizon but not in 4G.

Point being to a tethered solution is why pay for a cell phone and an aircard if your cell phone can act as a WiFi hotspot? Ave yourself the $$ and get the iPhone...talk to your local AppleStore for details.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Droids and Verizon

You can use a droid and probably some blackberry's for a mobile hotspot for around $20 per month.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
cowislander

Default buy a used card

I picked one up on ebay last summer for $60. You can call Verizon and have them activate it with a pay as you go service. Its a bit more per Megabite, but no contract. On an annual basis a big savings since I only use mine for 4 months a year. BTW, works great on Cow Is.
cowislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #29
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboater View Post
I have the card and use it on Dow Island.

Hi...neighbor. If it ever stops snowing....see ya soon.
Hi ya there neighbor! Will see u guys soon! We maybe heading north soon....not to the island...but just a trip up! Hope u are well!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
samosetguy

Default Boating and surfing

I have the Verizon Mifi 2200 card where you can have up to 5 people and it works great. I usually use it in Gilford but I've also taken it (with my laptop) on my boat and it worked well from Meredith to Wolfboro.

I don't believe I've tried it up towards Moultenborough Bay.

My only complaint (which is minor) is it doesn't seem to last that long on the battery alone. I think it lasts a couple (2-3) hours but that time goes by fast when a couple people are working and connected to it. In order to have more than one person on it, (I believe) it must be on the battery.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #31
jrc

Samosetguy

I think you are right, I thought I read that if you plug the USB port into a computer to power the Mifi, then that computer now has sole use of the Mifi. It turns off the wifi radio and uses the USB cable.

I wonder if you powered it with a USB wall charger instead then it would still be a hotspot.

Do you have any real world speed numbers?

If you connect several computers can they see each other or just the internet?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #32
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

I just wanted to add my experiences. About a year ago I got a Verizon USB mifi stick. I considered the 5 user model but was convinced by a few people that a Cradlepoint router was the way to go. It has much better range and can support 16 users instead of 5. It works on either battery or AC power and gives you all the features of a full-size router. Just plug the USB stick into it and you've got full powered wireless internet.

The Verizon stick with the Cradlepoint router works great at the lake. We used it on vacation last year (near the Weirs) and all our laptops and iPhones had great service. We've used it on trains and in our car and it has always worked great.

Of course things change very quickly and I've recently found another solution. I jailbroke my iPhone 3Gs and installed MyWi. Now I can use my iPhone as a wireless router. I can also plug the iPhone into my computer and use it without wifi or connect to my laptop through bluetooth. MiWi does it all. I'll keep using our Cradlepoint router with the Verizon stick for now but MiWi gives me some other good options.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
jrc

Is your Iphone from ATT?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...ntcmp=obinsite
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #34
hancoveguy

Just a thought...I have an HTC EVO phone from Sprint. Monthly fee is $69 plus $30 gives me unlimited 3g/4g WiFi for up to 8 devices. Service is great, no wires AT ALL, and there are no commitments. With a phone call you can instantly subscribe or unsubscribe and they pro rate you for that month.

Good luck,
HCG

Last edited by hancoveguy; 04-08-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
Camp Madegracelyn

I have been using the Air Card for several years from Kenniston isle in Wolfeboro, It has worked great. We are now on DSL so if you have a phone line and can get it that is a better option. It is a little faster.
Camp Madegracelyn is offline   Reply With Quote