Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Mashugana

Question Where does a No Wake Zone start and end?

Where exactly does a No Wake Zone start and end? Assuming there is nothing within 150 feet of the NWZ to make you go to no wake, where does it start?

Like the line of no wake markers in Meredith Bay. Where must you be at No Wake position? When or where do you have to be before you power up? How about approaching the Bear Island NWZ from the North at an angle to the NWZ sign. Or leaving that way. Or any other NWZs. Can I power up as soon as I have passed the sign? Passed at what angle? If there is only one sign at that end or start then what do the rules say?

I do what I feel is correct but I would like to know for sure.
Mashugana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
NightWing

The NWZ begins and ends at the sign(s).
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Phantom

Agreed --

Which technically means you should pass the sign at No Wake ............ not begin your deceleration at the buoy
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Dave R

I could swear I recall seeing that specific no wake zones (those that are not covered by the existing safe passage laws, like Meredith's) were defined by law somewhere and did not reference the markers, but instead referenced specific landmarks. I'm not saying the markers should be ignored, even if you know they are wrong, just hoping someone (Skip perhaps?) will confirm.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Skip

Post Here you go Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I could swear I recall seeing that specific no wake zones (those that are not covered by the existing safe passage laws, like Meredith's) were defined by law somewhere and did not reference the markers, but instead referenced specific landmarks. I'm not saying the markers should be ignored, even if you know they are wrong, just hoping someone (Skip perhaps?) will confirm.

Saf-C 402.88 Lake Winnipesaukee.

(a) That part of Paugus Bay between the buoy located 250 feet from the west side of the bay to the western-most black top buoy shall be a "no wake" area.

(b) The Weirs Channel, so-called, between the light buoy in said channel near the Endicott Rock in Lake Winnipesaukee, and the southernmost light buoy in the channel in Lake Paugus shall be a "no wake" area.

(c) That part of Alton Bay in Lake Winnipesaukee lying south of the line running east and west through the bandstand shall be a "no wake" area. Commercial vessels operating in this area shall pass on the east side of the bandstand.

(d) Between the red top buoy located by light buoy #23 and Sandy Point in Alton Bay shall be a "no wake" area in either direction.

(e) That portion of Lake Winnipesaukee known as Sally's Gut from the easternmost to the westernmost buoys marking this passage shall be a "no wake" area in either direction.

(f) From the red and white buoy situated off the southeasterly portion of Locke's Island in Lake Winnipesaukee to a point 600 feet northerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(g) From the red and white buoy at the entrance of Smith's Cove at Glendale and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(h) The channel between Loon Island and the mainland in the town of Meredith from the red buoy situated off the southeast portion of Loon Island to a point 400 feet northerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(i) On Lake Winnipesaukee in the channel between Varney and Kenniston Islands from the black and white buoy marking the southeast entrance to the red buoy marking the northwest entrance of the channel shall be a "no wake" area.

(j) On Lake Winnipesaukee in the channel between Pine Island and Meredith Neck between the black and white buoy and the red buoy marking the northerly and southerly entrances respectively shall be a "no wake" area.

(k) On Lake Winnipesaukee in the channel between Horse Island and Meredith Neck, between the red buoy on the southerly approach and the black and white buoy at the northeasterly approach to the channel shall be a "no wake" area.

(l) Between navigation light number 69 and Governor's Island Bridge shall be a "no wake" area.

(m) From the entrance to Minge Cove at West Alton to the flashing light buoy located within the cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(n) From the flashing light buoy in Minge Cove and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(o) Between Chase Island and Farm Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(p) In the cove on the southwesterly side of Governor's Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(q) From the no wake sign located at the southern entrance to Fish Cove to the northernmost point of the cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(r) From the northernmost black top buoy to a point 150 feet beyond the southernmost point of the channel between Three Mile Island and the Hawk's Nest shall be a "no wake" area.

(s) From 150 feet beyond the northwest end of the Beaver Island Channel to 150 feet beyond the southeastern end of the Beaver Island Channel shall be a "no wake" area.

(t) From a point 150 feet from the west side of the Black Cat Island Bridge to a point 150 feet of the eastern side of the Black Cat Island Bridge shall be a "no wake" area.

(u) From a point 150 feet from the southwesternmost red top buoy to a point 150 feet beyond the northernmost red top buoy between Mark Island and Mink Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(v) From the red top buoy at the entrance of Glidden Cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(w) From light buoy #75 to the southernmost point of Small's Cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(x) From light buoy #79 to the southeasternmost point of Robert's Cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(y) From a point 150 feet southeast of the Basin Bridge to a point 150 feet northwest of the Basin Bridge shall be a "no wake" area.

(z) From a point 150 feet from the east entrance of Green's Basin to a point 150 feet beyond the western entrance of Green's Basin shall be a "no wake" area.

(aa) From the red top buoy located on the south side of Whaleback Island to a point 150 feet beyond the north entrance to the channel between Whaleback Island and Moultonborough Neck shall be a "no wake" area.

(ab) From a point 150 feet from the southeastern entrance of the channel between Ganzey Island and the mainland to a point 150 feet beyond the northern entrance to the same channel shall be a "no wake" area.

(ac) From a point 150 feet east of the black top buoy located off the north side of 9 Acre Island to a point 150 feet beyond the southwestern entrance of the channel between 9 Acre Island and Moultonborough Neck shall be a "no wake" area.

(ad) From the westernmost black top buoy located off the Long Island Public Beach to a point 150 feet beyond the eastern side of the Long Island Bridge shall be a "no wake" area.

(ae) From light buoy #65 to the red top buoy located on the northeast side of Devens Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(af) From the southwesternmost red top buoy to the northeasternmost red top buoy located southwest of Hermit Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(ag) From the southernmost black top buoy to the northernmost black top buoy in Salmon Meadow Cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(ah) From the no wake sign which is located on the southeast entrance to Kelly Cove to the northwesternmost point of Kelly Cove shall be a "no wake" area.

(ai) From a point 150 feet northeast of the no wake sign located at the entrance to Gilford Marina and southwesterly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(aj) From a point 150 feet north of the entrance of Lake Shore Park and southerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(ak) From a point 150 feet easterly of the channel markers marking the entrance to Duck Trap Cove and westerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(al) From a point 150 feet southwest of the channel between Farm Island and Tuftonboro to a point 150 feet northeast of the entrance to the channel shall be a "no wake" area.

(am) From the no wake sign located on the eastern side of Shep Brown's Boat Basin and westerly thereof shall be a "no wake" area.

(an) The cove portion of Lake Winnipesaukee west of Black Island, between Geneva Point Center and Black Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(ao) From a point 150 feet south of Ledge Island and proceeding northward into Fish Cove shall be a "no wake" area. This "no wake" area shall not include the interior of the unnamed cove to the east of Fish Cove.

(ap) The area 150 feet north of the Bear Island mail dock to 150 feet south of the mail dock in the channel between the Bear Island Post Office and Pine Island shall be a "no wake" area.

(aq) Hanson Cove in Lake Winnipesaukee shall be a "no wake" area, including that area between the mouth of the cove, 150 yards due west of the large rock, to the large rock's corresponding black top navigational marker near Toltec Point.

(ar) That portion of Langley Cove in Paugus Bay, beginning from the city of Laconia Tax Map 69, Block 248, Lot 6 and running westerly to the western most point of Christmas Island in Paugus Bay, shall be a "no wake" area.

(as) The unnamed cove easterly of Light 41 on Cow Island, in the town of Tuftonboro, shall be a “no wake” area.

(at) Raoul’s Cove in the town of Moultonborough, from a line drawn beginning on the northern side of Lot 35 and the southern boundary of adjacent lot 33, proceeding across the cove to a point on the northern most side of Lot 91 and the southern boundary of adjacent Lot 92 on Moultonborough tax map #32 shall be a “no wake” area.

(au) That part of Meredith bay in Lake Winnipesaukee running from an imaginary straight line as drawn from the Town of Meredith Tax Map U-2, Lot 7 southern boundary to Map U-15, Lot 48A southern boundary, to the northerly end of the bay on Route 25 shall be a “no wake” area.

(av) The channel named Eagle Island Narrows between Egle Island and Governors Island on Lake Winnipesaukee shall be a “no wake” area.

Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
The NWZ begins and ends at the sign(s).
I had a conversation with a Marine Patrol officer including the same question at the Meredith docks the other day. I thought the NWZ started 150 feet from the marker (outside of the NWZ). I personally do 150 feet from anything.

He confirmed that the NWZ starts and ends at the marker. We should be at headway speed by the time we reach the marker entering the NWZ, and should remain at headway speed until we pass the marker leaving a NWZ.

I asked because current behavior, like that often observed leaving Meredith, seemed to indicate that I needed to be on plane by the time I got to the NWZ marker. He joked, "Only if you want to talk to me again."
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Misty Blue

Default Meredith Bay NWZ

OK, call me stupid. But what is that what is that 150' "courtsey" marker doing off of the Meredith town docks which are located 1/4 mile INSIDE of the NWZ?

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Phantom

Misty --

If I'm not mistaken it is just that -- a "Courtesy buoy" albiet the one in Merideth does add confusion, the one in Cntr Harbor has merit.

Many people do not know nor can acurrately guage what 150' on water looks like. To us boaters, and those especially who water ski (two ski-line lengths) it may be intuiative. These buoys help the rest of the world adjust. In actuality, it's a LOT closer than mst people realize.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Sman

Default To Phantom

Quote:
not begin your deceleration at the buoy
right on the money! I have one right out in front of my camp and what you described NOT to do is what most actually do

it really is funny (funny strange) to see how many people plow through nowake areas, they gain what a mph or 2 over headway speed? need to get to a bathroom? late for a date? it seems during a good day the worst thing is you are on the lake for another few minutes going headway speed...thats rough.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
OK, call me stupid. But what is that what is that 150' "courtsey" marker doing off of the Meredith town docks which are located 1/4 mile INSIDE of the NWZ?

Misty Blue.
Not stupid at all! Actually, I have a similar question; regarding the 150ft courtesy marker off the Meredith public docks, where are they measuring from, the edge of shore or the end of the nearest dock (where it projects out into the lake)? It seems awfully close to the end of the dock to be measured from there. Does anyone know specifically where they're measuring this distance from?

As for where the NWZ begins/ends, I've always presumed it begins/ends at the actual markers. If there was more than one marker (like in Meredith Bay or at the NWZ between Eagle/Governor's islands), I picture an imaginary line drawn between the two and slow down before that line. I will try to come off plane and be proceeding at headway speed just before I cross that imaginary line and when leaving a NWZ, I don't throttle up until my entire boat is across that same imaginary line.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Off the finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Not stupid at all! Actually, I have a similar question; regarding the 150ft courtesy marker off the Meredith public docks, where are they measuring from, the edge of shore or the end of the nearest dock (where it projects out into the lake)? It seems awfully close to the end of the dock to be measured from there. Does anyone know specifically where they're measuring this distance from?
They're measuring it from the end of the finger dock it's directly off. And yes they sure do look closer than 150' don't they ?

Personally I think there's some hanky-panky going on. I'm going to ask the people at Hughes if they could direct their web-cam at the safety marker off the Alton docks next season when they're put in. I think that some evil {opens list to see who has yet to be insulted this season .... ahhh yes} PWC'ers are moving the buoys closer to the docks during the night. We all know how bad them thar PWC'ers are and how they like to ride too close to, well, everything. By moving the markers they set the rest of us up to go along with their nefarious game plan. PWCs out at night ... I believe I've seem some photographical proof. Yup that must be it.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Bear Islander

Thanks Skip

The area 150 feet north of the Bear Island mail dock to 150 feet south of the mail dock in the channel between the Bear Island Post Office and Pine Island shall be a "no wake" area.

Here again we have an example of the difference between what is on paper and what the Marine Patrol actually does. The Bear Island NWZ should be 300 feet long. In reality, as buoyed, it is 1,200 feet long.

The NWZ is defined by four buoys making up the corners of a box, or quadrilateral. When you are in the box, you are in the NWZ.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
=Mee-n-Mac;77182Personally I think there's some hanky-panky going on. PWC'ers are moving the buoys closer to the docks during the night. We all know how bad them thar PWC'ers are and how they like to ride too close to, well, everything. By moving the markers they set the rest of us up to go along with their nefarious game plan. .
Ok now M&M,thems fightin words.I'm pretty sure it's some blow-up inflatable moose that's moving them.I saw one here on the forum but I just can't remember where.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
robmac

to bad not all boaters follow that reg.I reguarly pass through that area and have never not been passed by another boat.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
Dave R

Thanks Skip
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #16
Mashugana

Thumbs up No Wake Zone boundaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Saf-C 402.88 Lake Winnipesaukee. {big snip}
I finally understand the NWZ boundaries and it is so easy and simple like many NH boating regulations.

Anyone have a quick memory aid for the NWZs, like the Red Right Returning convention on the seacoast?

I knew I would get the the correct information here.

Thanks Skip and all for the responses.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Mashugana

Thumbs up NH makes it so simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Saf-C 402.88 Lake Winnipesaukee.
That list Skip posted makes it easy to remember where the NWZs are. Some of them specify exactly where the zone starts and ends. That's so easy even a Capt Bonehead or boat renter can understand it.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
LSBA Joker

Default Not that simple

Never underestimate human stupidity. I've seen daytrippers slide off their trailer in Meredith and hit it from the docks all the way out. Best one this season was a beautiful antique leaving the docks after the show at full power. You'd think that the mature gentleman at the helm would know better or at least be more considerate.

Although ALL boaters should know the 'rules of the road' before setting out, wouldn't a sign at the ramp noting the no-wake zone as well as the 150' rule be helpful? (removes ignorance, no cure for stupid)
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #19
Newcomers

Default Another reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBA Joker View Post
Never underestimate human stupidity. I've seen daytrippers slide off their trailer in Meredith and hit it from the docks all the way out. Best one this season was a beautiful antique leaving the docks after the show at full power. You'd think that the mature gentleman at the helm would know better or at least be more considerate.

Although ALL boaters should know the 'rules of the road' before setting out, wouldn't a sign at the ramp noting the no-wake zone as well as the 150' rule be helpful? (removes ignorance, no cure for stupid)
With the Lake above "Full" some boats are tied up above the boat docks deck. The resulting wake from these hotrodders is going to damage some boats if we don't observe the 150" rule. Slow down until we get the Lake level under control.
Newcomers is offline   Reply With Quote