Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Are rims directional?

I have my new tires. All is well. I'm still trying to figure out who mounted my previous tires in the wrong direction to follow up on this expensive error. These were Goodyear Eagles on a Chevy Sonic LT with 16" rims.

Sequence of events:

(1) Bought car with new tires from dealer

(2) Garage #1: Had the tires rotated first time. The garage didn't check whether the tires were directional; they said they never check that if they're not removing the tires from the rims.

(3) Garage #2: Had the tires rotated second time, different garage. The mechanic pointed out that the tires were mounted backwards and I saw that with my own eyes. He remounted them correctly. I immediately noticed tire noise, and within 20,000 miles from date of purchase the tires were finished---uneven tire wear.

(4) Garage #3 (tire dealer): Upon inspection of old tires today, the tire dealer said the belts were shredded, meaning the tires were dangerous and I didn't realize it. They said the damage was caused by the tires being mounted in the wrong direction initially.

I haven't had the alignment done yet, but the car is driving very straight and there is no tire noise.

My questions:

(1) Are my rims unidirectional, or can they be mounted on either side and either direction? See photo.

(2) Were the tires originally mounted on the rims backwards? Or were the rims installed on the wrong side of the car? My understanding is that they were mounted backwards, given that garage #2 removed and remounted the tires.

(3) Who do you think made the original error? I know it was not garage #2, because he pointed out the error to me. So it was either the car dealer or garage #1. Garage #1 says it couldn't have been him, because he didn't remove the tires from the rims, he only rotated them.

Scenario A: I know that directional tires can only be rotated front to back, not side to side. I'm thinking that if the tires were correct coming from the dealer, and garage #1 rotated them side to side, the tires would have ended up backwards.

Scenario B: On the other hand, if the tires were mounted backwards by the dealer, and garage #1 rotated them back to front, they would still be backwards, which they were.

Here's a photo of my car at the dealership on date of purchase. Unfortunately the letters on the tire aren't visible, but you can see the rims. They don't look like directional rims to me. Does that make both scenarios possible?

Name:  Chevy Sonic at dealer.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  70.4 KB
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote