Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
Hivolt

Wind direction plays as big a role as wind speed in the broads imo. I was in your situation 4 seasons ago as a brand new boater I decided to rent a place on the NW tip of rattlesnake. I fortunately had good weather during my first stay but having been to the same place multiple times a year for the last 3 seasons I’ve started to learn when is a good time to go out and when to stay put. When there’s a NW or N wind, all hell can break loose in the broads.

We ventured out to Wolfeboro Sunday morning for breakfast and left in a fairly calm West wind. When we exited Wolfeboro Bay We realized the wind had turned NW, we knew we were in for a rough ride and rough docking. While the place we stay has a protected dock the boat I purchased has high freeboard and loses the bow quickly.

I had 11-12 mph sustained winds on my wind gauge on rattlesnake with gusts to 16 which isn’t too bad.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
aydinlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivolt View Post
Wind direction plays as big a role as wind speed in the broads imo. I was in your situation 4 seasons ago as a brand new boater I decided to rent a place on the NW tip of rattlesnake. I fortunately had good weather during my first stay but having been to the same place multiple times a year for the last 3 seasons I’ve started to learn when is a good time to go out and when to stay put. When there’s a NW or N wind, all hell can break loose in the broads.

We ventured out to Wolfeboro Sunday morning for breakfast and left in a fairly calm West wind. When we exited Wolfeboro Bay We realized the wind had turned NW, we knew we were in for a rough ride and rough docking. While the place we stay has a protected dock the boat I purchased has high freeboard and loses the bow quickly.

I had 11-12 mph sustained winds on my wind gauge on rattlesnake with gusts to 16 which isn’t too bad.
Thanks for the good info.

I saw the following in another web site today . This was totally us last weekend.

aydinlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Hivolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
Thanks for the good info.

I saw the following in another web site today . This was totally us last weekend.

I use the iWindsurf app on my phone or check out sailflow on the computer when I'm up there, Like most have said the forecasts aren't spot on for speed but they are usually pretty decent at forecasting direction. They also offer live wind maps.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hivolt For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (09-14-2019)