Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
hazelnut

Default Dear Don

This is an open letter of apology to you. I have seen the other side and believe me it isn't pretty.

All along during the Speed Limit debates (for a few years) I was an active participant in some of the most controversial threads. Actually if you look at my post count I would say that 75% of those posts were in SL related topics. Many times my temper got the best of me and I would be dragged into some relatively nasty debates with some people. All the while you would be moderating each and every discussion, reading each post and deciding if you should censor the post or moderate the poster. I am happy to say I was never censored, all of my posts got through, until one day I altered my signature, after you banned SL discussion, to reflect an anti-SL position. At that point I know I was on your radar and you decided to moderate me. Well that moderation lasted right up until you added the "Issues" section where I successfully lobbied to be pulled from moderation. I also apologized for my signature tactic and have agreed not to put any pointed agenda item in my signature.

From my point I was cursing you under my breath here and there for your, what I deemed, heavy handed nature with which you moderated. I would openly discuss with other members, offline, the method you used to moderate. I had questions in my head as to why you wouldn't allow certain discussions to take place on the cusp of such ground breaking legislation that affected the lake. I likened it to having your (the sites) head in the sand while this major issue was taking place in the real world (of the lake).

While no moderation is perfect and I am sure you have moments in the past where you question whether or not you moderated too much, or too little. The point is there is no right answer. Moderate too much and you lose traffic and membership. Moderate too little and... well ditto, as people are driven off by the nastiness.

Anyway, I am publicly apologizing for any comments muttered under my breath about the way you run this site. For I have seen the other side and the other side is just an awful place. I will not name the site publicly but I am sure some people are aware of its existence. I had not heard of this local little forum until someone called me and said that my name was being dragged through the mud. I was reluctant to go over and read what was being said about me but curiosity got the best of me. The reason I chose to read is because I, unlike many, use part of my real name in my username and I have also shared MANY details about my life in my discussions on this site. So when my username is getting dragged through the mud in a discussion it's as close to my real name being used as possible.

I went over to try to set the record straight and defend some comments made and to explain my position on the Barbers Pole issue. Instead, the usual suspects that you have long since banned from this site and a couple of others that you have on heavy moderation, came out with venom and nastiness and tried to drag me into their little world that they have over there. One comment that was made to me, in my defense, was from a member that said, "this site is like the island of misfit toys." In so many ways that site is. It's the place where all of the castoffs and malcontents have gathered to be angry and nasty to any former anti-SL supporter that supports any cause. I say that meaning even if I supported tougher DUI boating laws they'd find a way to crucify me for it on the basis of my past support of the anti-SL issue. I am forever labeled a "Cowboy" and "Scofflaw" to them even though I own a bowrider that goes 47MPH with my family of five in it.

Anyway I digress. I want to thank you for running the site the way you do. I guess we take things for granted when we aren't aware of all of the hard work going on behind the scenes. You danced a fine line through all of the debate and nastiness. In the end I think you did what was best for the site in order to keep it a highly respected place to share opinions and ideas regarding the lake. I know that this is an ongoing battle and I know it will never end. Between spammers, fake registrations, obscene postings, foul language, off topic posting, angry restaurant reviews, etc. etc. etc. You have your hands full.

Again thanks and I apologize for any extra work I ever caused you!

-Hazelnut
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (08-09-2011), BroadHopper (08-06-2011), ishoot308 (08-05-2011), Just Sold (08-16-2011), Pepper (08-05-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (08-24-2011), trfour (08-05-2011), VitaBene (08-06-2011), VtSteve (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
VtSteve

Default I have to agree

Always appreciated your posts HN, and you really showed a lot of character in how you handled the BP issue from start to finish.

Indeed, I'm sure the people that might still be angry at some of us for the SL debates, should definitely read some of the SL supports stuff over there. One of the reasons I pointed out (OK, harped on), their lies, was simple. They constantly lie. The most prolific poster in recent memory even lies about not lieing about using his real name

That's funny, coming from a group that regularly has 2-4 different names.
Truly amazing people, read their nonsense when you get a chance.

It's not a SL issue anymore, nor a silly BP NWZ issue. Heck, there are no issues at all if they stay over there and ferment.

Stick around HN, you're good people.
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
jrc

Don does a great job! It's his site, he makes the calls but he is never arbitrary about. Like any other adventure involving people, managing this forum must take constant effort.

Be aware that there are two sites on the other side. A lot of the same people on both. Both get real old in a few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice post H-Nut!

I have always enjoyed reading your posts as they are usually from the heart and without exaggeration. Nothing wrong with a spirited debate and I think Don has done a great job of eliminating those who go beyond spirited and enter the land of disrespectful and nasty.

Stick around your in good company and the company enjoys you and your posts!

Dan
Old 08-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
hazelnut

Thanks Dan.

I have no intentions of going anywhere. I really enjoy posting and reading in the general and boating threads. I've been known to throw my .02 in the Restaurant threads as well.

Not to drive traffic away from this site but if you haven't visited the one I am talking about it is worth a look. Pure unadulterated comedy. Check the membership list... A whopping 55 yes 55 MEMBERS!!! hahahahaha
I am not making this up. Most of the threads are populated by the same half a dozen folks talking themselves in circles patting each other on the back. It's like a few kids in a closet giggling to each other about nothing that maters.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (08-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Thanks Dan.

I have no intentions of going anywhere. I really enjoy posting and reading in the general and boating threads. I've been known to throw my .02 in the Restaurant threads as well.

Not to drive traffic away from this site but if you haven't visited the one I am talking about it is worth a look. Pure unadulterated comedy. Check the membership list... A whopping 55 yes 55 MEMBERS!!! hahahahaha
I am not making this up. Most of the threads are populated by the same half a dozen folks talking themselves in circles patting each other on the back. It's like a few kids in a closet giggling to each other about nothing that maters.
I visited that site once (never posted) and didn't like how one frequent poster here was stabbing Don in the back every chance he got and everyone who posts here. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Decided it was best to just leave them be. Too much life to live and fun to have on this wonderful place we call Winnipesaukee!!

Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-06-2011), Skip (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
VtSteve

Good Post Dan.

I just looked over yonder myself. : laugh:

Right on cue. Grumpy Old Men, Part XI.

Thanks for the web site Don, we do appreciate it.
And "Most" of us get over silly squabbles.

You can call me Steve

Life used to be much simpler when people were mostly honest.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Thanks Dan.

In fairness to the other forum, it only started in March so maybe 55 members isn't too bad. Don't you think that most forums are folks taking themselves in circles ect.? Having said all that, I can hardly read the lakes issues. There are a few whose rantings I just can't bear.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Rusty

You are all jealous that you can't say what you really feel about issues.

Also you all criticize the other forum but I see you just love reading what they say.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Good Post Dan.

I just looked over yonder myself. : laugh:

Right on cue. Grumpy Old Men, Part XI.

Thanks for the web site Don, we do appreciate it.
And "Most" of us get over silly squabbles.
You guys got me curious and I had a look. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
4Fun

Wow! What a group of posts over there. It always bothers me when people hide behind "safety" when pushing an agenda. If you have an problem deal with it directly. No trickery needed. This is the PRIMARY reason I am anti SL.

I would have full respect for the group "People against loud boats and big expensive cruisers" I would even support the half that wants to quiet the lake down.... But these guys just HATE anyone who takes an oposing opinion. Reading those posts they seem crazy, paranoid and delusional....What turns people in to that?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Also you all criticize the other forum but I see you just love reading what they say.
Just out of curiosity sake, I checked out the other site, at it seems that the same 3 or 4 people are playing alone! Very comical. I think I will visit more often to get my comic relief for the day!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Just out of curiosity sake, I checked out the other site, at it seems that the same 3 or 4 people are playing alone! Very comical. I think I will visit more often to get my comic relief for the day!
One person...Multiple names or multiple personalities???
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

The entertainment never ends over there. Fun place to get an education on the various disfunctional personality disorders that drinking the slimey water over there can induce. A very small group, of VERY small minds. SOoo much fun to watch though..
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Rusty said:
"Also you all criticize the other forum but I see you just love reading what we say."

I corrected it for you. Why don't you tell us who you post as over there?

Last edited by VitaBene; 08-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
VtSteve

Quote:

I think most of us say exactly what we feel Rusty. Don pretty much let's it ride here now. It's just that most of us refrain from some of the bitter bile you guys seem to revel in.

There's nothing wrong with the other forum, you're there simply because he wants to increase views. That's why they tolerate several names for the same poster. I'm sure it's a lot of fun saying whatever clever thing pops into your minds over there. It's also a nice way for people to see whom they were dealing with in the other debates. If you said it was raining, I'll bet almost everyone would still look outside to see what's actually happening
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Rusty said:
"Also you all criticize the other forum but I see you just love reading what we say."

I corrected it for you. Why don't you tell us who you post as over there?
I post as Red_Hill over there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (08-10-2011), VitaBene (08-09-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Wow, you write well and think a lot like I do
Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
tis

Quote:
Sure------
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #20
jrc

Quote:
Did you see the movie "Sybil"
Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
lawn psycho

I post as 'Elchase' and 'The Phantom' over there.....
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
VtSteve

I might start posting again if I decide it's safe to.

Soon to be, hiding from stalkers

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-16-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Threats
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (08-15-2011), hazelnut (08-14-2011), Ryan (08-15-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #23
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
I post as 'Elchase' and 'The Phantom' over there.....

And aren't you Evelyyn too?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Ryan (08-15-2011), VitaBene (08-14-2011)