Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
kmed

Default Fishing around Ames Farm Inn in Mid June in a kayak in Gilford NH

Hello everyone,

I am a new forum member and I was looking for fishing advice for fishing from a kayak around Ames Farm Inn in Gilford, NH. I will be renting a cabin with my wife and two kids (both teenagers) this mid June. The boys are hoping to catch a big fish. Just wondering what you recommend to use for live bait and lures on the lake to catch fish. We have never been to Ames Farm Inn before so we don't know where to start to know where to paddle. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by kmed; 03-06-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I wrote wrong year accidentally
kmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,499 Times in 976 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Ames Farm is a great place. Great breakfast, so pln your early morning or you'll never get out of the dining room. That can be a busy boating area at certain times. Unless you already own kayaks, I'd be inclined to rent a low (under 25) hp pontoon or something else that the family can use together. Under 25 hp, you don'tr need a safe boating certificate, although it is certainly a good idea to get qualified. Good winter family activity for the winter and everybody will be looking forward to the boating experience. This will be the best family vacation ever, especially if you catch Walter. He's out there.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmed View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a new forum member and I was looking for fishing advice for fishing from a kayak around Ames Farm Inn in Gilford, NH. I will be renting a cabin with my wife and two kids (both teenagers) this mid June. The boys are hoping to catch a big fish. Just wondering what you recommend to use for live bait and lures on the lake to catch fish. We have never been to Ames Farm Inn before so we don't know where to start to know where to paddle. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
Smallmouth bass will be on beds then(Spawning) in shallow water. Kayaks would be perfect for catching them. Look for light colored circles in the bottom contour in 3-5 feet of water. All along the shore around Ames farm. Go to Walmart and But 2-3 bags of Yamamoto Senkos. ( Green Pumpkin color ). You also need to buy some hooks in the 3/0 size, not the size 3. Then YOUTUBE Wacky Rig Senkos. Realistically that is all you will need to catch a ton of bass and the Kids will have a ball. Good luck and have a blast. I used to fish that area when they had Bass Tournaments out of there years ago. Trust me, after the first couple of days you will be going back to Wal-Mart for more.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macbeth For This Useful Post:
kmed (03-09-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
8gv

Didn't Walter just get caught through the ice last month?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
The Real BigGuy

I think that was Walter’s grandpa!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
WINNI BOB

Default Fishing around Ames Farm

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Hi

I have been fishing that area for 50 years.(My condo and boat are near the Weirs Beach.)..I would be happy to show you the ropes. Call me, for details. Maybe, you might want to be my guest, on my 25' Tritoon. WINNI BOB @ 617-678-1018
WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
kmed (03-07-2020), Nagigator (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
kmed

Thank you very much for your help. We all have kayaks and we will be using them to fish out of. Any assistance on bait or lure recommendations are greatly appreciated.
kmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
WINNI BOB

Default Fishing around Ames Farm

Quote:
Thank you very much for your help. We all have kayaks and we will be using them to fish out of. Any assistance on bait or lure recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Hi;

To learn how to fish the big lake, properly, takes a long time. but, for a quickie...fish early(4:30am) for salmon using small/medium, live "shiners" drifted, slowly with tiny # 4-6 hooks..no weight, on 4# test mono, or florocarbon... shiners are sold at AJ's bait in Meridith.

For bass...fish anytime with crayfish(medium hook) in the last section of their tail(no weight), and bump them on the bottom...., or worms fished in 20-30 feet of water, or near piers or docks. Smallmouth bass like rocky areas, but Largemouth bass prefer Lots of weeds and shallower water.

I like the area near the Weirs Beach docks and the area where the Mount Washington docks....get there right after she(the Mount)leaves at 10 am or 12:30pm. ..Her props stir up the bait.

There are a ton of "Rock Bass" now, inhabiting the lake almost everywhere. the kids will find them easy to catch with worms, White perch are also fairly easy to find and are very nice "eating"

Good luck

Winni bob
WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
kmed (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,926 Times in 1,907 Posts

Quote:
Hello everyone,

PM sent...
kmed (03-07-2020)