Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
jazzman

Default New boat pricing

So if I was to buy a new boat from a local dealer should I be able to get a discount off the list price? Would I do better to wait until a spring boat how? I'm interested in a whaler in the 17 foot range.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
Savewinni (09-26-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
XCR-700

I think if you do some digging you can probably find out what the boat show pricing was from last Feb, and then see what the dealers still have and if there is any additional discount now.

It never hurts to ask them for their best end of season price.

If its not better then the last boat show price then wait and let them store it all winter.

Its all about inventory, if they are sitting on too much or too old (last years model) you will usually get a deal, if not, you will pay full price and might as well wait for the boat show.

Happy shopping.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Boat show discounts are only good if you want to order a boat with specific options and colors. If you're not that fussy about getting exactly what you want you can get just as good of a price on a boat that a marina has in stock because they want to move inventory.
They love selling boats at the show because it's sold the minute they get your deposit and they don't have to store it.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have ordered several boats at boat shows and chosen exactly the options I wanted. Engine size and manufacturer, docking lights, dual batteries Etc. There is usually a 2 to 3 month lead time so if you order at a boat show in February you will get your boat in time for the summer season.

The same discounts offered on show boats are usually offered on ordered boats so there is generally no financial advantage to taking a show boat or a dealer stock boat.

There may be situations where a dealer has boats that they would like to get off of their floor planning so they don't have to pay interest on the boat all winter and that may result in a lower price being offered. Also, manufacturers sometimes offer rebates so that unsold current model boats will move making room for a dealer to order more boats for next years inventory.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have ordered several boats at boat shows and chosen exactly the options I wanted. Engine size and manufacturer, docking lights, dual batteries Etc. There is usually a 2 to 3 month lead time so if you order at a boat show in February you will get your boat in time for the summer season.

The same discounts offered on show boats are usually offered on ordered boats so there is generally no financial advantage to taking a show boat or a dealer stock boat.

There may be situations where a dealer has boats that they would like to get off of their floor planning so they don't have to pay interest on the boat all winter and that may result in a lower price being offered. Also, manufacturers sometimes offer rebates so that unsold current model boats will move making room for a dealer to order more boats for next years inventory.
I support picking up a left over if they have any. I bought my boat brand new with 1 hour on it, sticker was 105k picked it up for a little over 65k. A week later a truck load of the next years models showed up.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
I support picking up a left over if they have any. I bought my boat brand new with 1 hour on it, sticker was 105k picked it up for a little over 65k. A week later a truck load of the next years models showed up.
Same here, the folks a Paugus Bay gave me an outstanding deal to upgrade.

They were truly outstanding to deal with and I got a great deal on a year old leftover with no time on the clock. I could have paid more money for a used boat than we did for a new boat that was a leftover.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
ThePlut

You should be able to get a discount on any new boat.

I say *should*, because my experience suggests that Whaler's are tough to get/find a deal on.

A friend of mine spent years looking at small Whalers and even used, even beat up, they held their value VERY well, going for relatively high prices, I.e. not much less than a new one.

And they didn't last long for sale whenever they went up, even the basket cases sold very quickly. If you're looking for a deal, I'd suggest looking for a used one this time of year, something someone doesn't want to winterize/store or keep making payments on over the winter. And being prepared to make an offer/jump on it quickly...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post

I am gonna call bs on this one. No way you got over 65% off a BRAND NEW boat that was last years model.

Either they took you, or you are taking us, as a fool.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

That would be more like 40% off.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

I am gonna call bs on this one. No way you got over 65% off a BRAND NEW boat that was last years model.

That's about 38% off actually which is a good deal for a leftover, and not out of the question depending on the brand. I don't see a whaler being had as a leftover for that large of a discount though.

I usually see 20-25% off MSRP as a starting point with most boats of current model year.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Other incentive?

I wasn't in a business where I had price control, but there were times when selling just one or two more lines before 5:00 pm Friday meant winning a trip for 4 to the Superbowl, or some similar goody. Not all income comes from selling individual units.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
jazzman

Anyone with Boston Whaler experience? Goodhue and Hawkins want 32k for a used/demo 2019 Montauk 17'. It has a trailer and minimal options, but the base MSRP for the bare boat is 32k.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
That's about 38% off actually which is a good deal for a leftover, and not out of the question depending on the brand. I don't see a whaler being had as a leftover for that large of a discount though.

I usually see 20-25% off MSRP as a starting point with most boats of current model year.

Outdoorsman can believe what he/she wants it doesn't affect the boat I now have owned for 6 years. Different boats have different mark ups. Want a shore ruining wakesurf boat? Buy a left over Malibu as they are arguably one of the most marked up boats on the market and you'd be shocked at how much they can take off. I purchased my boat as the marina was dropping this particular boat brand and picking up another. Rumors at that time where they lost the rights to carry them, or just decided that brand wasn't their cup of tea. Whatever their reason I couldn't care less. I will say I have hated dealing with them for literally everything else except for the sales on two boats I have purchased from them, but hey I still paid what I wanted too
Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

Our Formula had an MSRP of $197,000 and we paid $123,000

Is that enough of a discount to make a 1 year old leftover worth it???
Old 09-26-2019, 04:43 AM   #15
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Our Formula had an MSRP of $197,000 and we paid $123,000

Is that enough of a discount to make a 1 year old leftover worth it???
That is one hell of a discount and it just confirms to me how ridiculously overpriced boats are getting to be. Don't get me wrong, (I own a Formula too), Formula's are beautiful boats, but way out of control on their pricing IMHO. Not just Formula either, there are plenty of other's out there way over priced as well. Not just boats either, Harley Davidson, Snap On tools, Ski Doo, just to name a few off the top of my head. I own them all, and all of them are great products, but waaaaaaaaay over priced, so I usually buy used these days. Let someone else take the huge loss from buying new. I realize that buying used can be risky, but when you KNOW what you are looking at, more often than not, it can be a very wise decision... The very FIRST thing I do when I go to someones house, or place of business to buy something used that he/she is selling, is to look around at the surroundings, ie: house, building(s), yard, garage (if there is one), landscaping, other vehicles, personal hygiene, etc,etc, and that pretty much tells you right off the bat what you are buying. There are exceptions to every rule, but you know the old cliche, "If it looks like s***, smells like s***, feels like s***, it usually is s***"!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 09-26-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #16
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
That is one hell of a discount and it just confirms to me how ridiculously overpriced boats are getting to be. Don't get me wrong, (I own a Formula too), Formula's are beautiful boats, but way out of control on their pricing IMHO. Not just Formula either, there are plenty of other's out there way over priced as well. Not just boats either, Harley Davidson, Snap On tools, Ski Doo, just to name a few off the top of my head. I own them all, and all of them are great products, but waaaaaaaaay over priced, so I usually buy used these days. Let someone else take the huge loss from buying new. I realize that buying used can be risky, but when you KNOW what you are looking at, more often than not, it can be a very wise decision...

Snap on tools....... Holy mark up!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:44 AM   #17
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
That is one hell of a discount and it just confirms to me how ridiculously overpriced boats are getting to be.
I agree with all you said, but also please dont misunderstand my purchase, it was a full year+ leftover dealer demo/floor model and I think Formula is pushing their business in the direction were their boats are highly customized and ordered for the specific customer. So buying a floor model that has been to the boat show and back and climbed in and out of more than if it had been purchased warrants a significant discount (in my opinion)

Yes I got a good deal, but there are similar deals on cars/trucks and snowmobiles at the end of the season/model year run (probably not on Snap On tools)

Anytime you want to be sure to get exactly what you want and when you want it (beginning of snowmobile season or first car/truck of the model run) you will pay more.

If you want it and can afford it, I say enjoy.

If your situation is different for any reason and want to you pay less than MSRP, then shop around, there are always deals on leftovers and gently used.

America has something for everyone!
Old 09-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I would absolutely expect a deal on a new boat, but maybe not wholely on price. Storage, a slip, accessories, options, etc. are part of the deal.

When we bought new from MVM (after being offered a HORRIBLE deal for trade-in/new purchase at another dealer), we got "last year's" pricing (similar to what is mostly offered at boat shows), a few free upgrades, extra accessories, a full tank of gas and service credits, etc.

The relaxed off-season buying process and attention was also a bonus (we felt like because they were so attentive, we're more visible customers now, even a few years later). Also, things seemed to go smoother, as they clearly wanted to close an off-season sale.

Finally, we were told by a few dealers that the "boat show deal" mostly doesn't exist anymore. Because dealers are now expected to order throughout the year, the "volume discount" for boat shows has most disappeared.

In the end, the "deal" might not be as big as the ancillary benefits, though I'd assume that a leftover off-season purchase might be the perfect combination.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #19
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
So if I was to buy a new boat from a local dealer should I be able to get a discount off the list price? Would I do better to wait until a spring boat how? I'm interested in a whaler in the 17 foot range.
Whalers can be tough to get a discount on I got lucky and actually found a left over. I got @10k off list it was an 18 purchased July this year. I was shocked I even found it that late in the season. Key is to be patient know what you want and work it the deals pop up eventually
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

https://seedealercost.com/marine/

Gives you MSRP vs actual dealer cost and I have been told it's pretty accurate.

Does not include any other fees freight, doc, etc... but interesting to look at and compare to what is being offered for a price. Just bear in mind this is versus full MSRP.

Of course this does not reflect what the actual profit margin per unit is from a manufacturers standpoint and I got to believe they are pretty high. When you see these massive factory authorized discounts or buying incentives it gives you an idea, and they are STILL making money!

I caught several dealers sporting "boat show pricing" at the boat show but a quick check revealed it was full MSRP. LOL gotta love SOME sales people.

Good luck, Whalers are tough to find a deal on. They sell themselves and the dealers know it. RARELY have I seen any substantial discount on one. Used are no better, especially the small ones under 20 foot. They are what they are. Nice build and probably the best "investment" boat wise as they don't really depreciate if cared for.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #21
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
https://seedealercost.com/marine/

Good luck, Whalers are tough to find a deal on. They sell themselves and the dealers know it. RARELY have I seen any substantial discount on one. Used are no better, especially the small ones under 20 foot. They are what they are. Nice build and probably the best "investment" boat wise as they don't really depreciate if cared for.
Agree completely my trade in was a 2003 I had it for 5 years and they gave me $250.00 less than I paid for it
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote