Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Outlaw

Default Vessel Safety Checks this Saturday

The Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron will be conducting FREE Vessel Safety Checks this Saturday, June 12th, from 8 AM to 4 PM at the following locations:

Lake Winnipesaukee:
-Wolfeboro town docks
-Alton Bay town docks
-Weirs Beach town docks
-Meredith town docks

Winnisquam Lake:
-Adams Marina
-Winnisquam Marina

Squam Lake:
-Riverdge Marina
-Squam Boat Livery, Inc.

Newfound Lake:
-Newfound Marina

Ossippee Lake:
-Ossipee Marina

I encourage everyone to take 15 minutes and stop by one of the above locations and get your 2004 Vessel Safety Check sticker.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Coastal Laker

Default Don't be afraid...

For those of you who are leary of utilizing this great opportunity to make sure your boat meets federal and state safety requirements, the vessel safety checks are confidential. If you are not awarded a decal, you are not reported to any third party or agent (it kinda defeats the purpose). If you are awarded a decal, the Marine Patrol does notice them. It's a good thing to have; it indicates your proactive attention to safety.

Additionally, your vessel safety check doubles as a 10% off coupon at West Marine and Boat US stores for any safety equipment you may need. (on-line purchases do not qualify). The nearest West Marine is in Portsmouth and the nearest Boat US store (my personal favorite) is in South Hampton. It may not be convenient to you if you have an immediate need but it works if you should happen to visit either of those areas on occasion.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
jrc

Default no boat retail in the lakes region

First, yes the safety check is always a good idea.

Second, these safety checks are not the same as the one given by the Marine Patrol volunteers. I'm not judging which is better, but they are different.

Third, why hasn't one of the big chains opened a marine retail store in the lakes region? Maybe it's too seasonal?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Outlaw

Default Vessel Safety Checks

If for any reason you are not awarded a sticker that day - the "confidential" inspection report can to taken to many of the local marinas on the lake and they will most likely give you 10% off that day on any items you purchase which 'relate to your safety check report.'

The NH Marine Partol and the Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron perform the VSC's in tandum and often times together. As each Vessel Examiner's style may differ, the actual safety check is the same - we are all inspecting your boat to ensure that you have the required safety equipment. It is possible that Marine Patrol offers an expanded version or a different type of vessel check.

Look for the Vessel Examiners on the docks - they will be the ones wearing the bright red polo shirts.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
Sandy Beach

Default Safety Inspections. MP vs PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Second, these safety checks are not the same as the one given by the Marine Patrol volunteers. I'm not judging which is better, but they are different.
I thought any Marine Patrol officer would do a safety inspection if you ask them. Where do MP volunteers come from? Who traines them and where do they do inspections? Does the Marine Patrol award an inspection sticker the way Power Squadron does?

What are the differences? What safety items are checked or not checked by which inspecting program? Not which is better but what are the differences?

Sandy
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
jrc

Default Differences

First off, I'm not sure that MP volunteers is correct. It may have been regular MP officers. I got the imppression that this was above and beyond there regular work.

I had a MP safety inspection two years ago. It was voluntary at the Alton Town docks. They seemed to focus on meeting the NH laws. They checked PFD's, navigation lights, fire extinguishers, bilge blowers, pretty much everything the law requires. It took at most 5 minutes and they put a little sticker on my boat.

Not long after, I was sitting in my boat when an adjacent boat was being inspected by another group. Pretty sure it was a power squadron as they were giving out discount coupons. They seemed to go deeper than the MP. For example, I heard the inspector talking about adding rubber covers on the battery posts to protect from dropped tools. They were poking around that boat for about 15 minutes.

So at least at that time (2002) there was a difference. Could be just style, some people do a more thorough job. Now that I think about it, maybe it's time for another inspection!
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

Our safety checks (LRSPS) are broken down into 2 main areas (1) required items (Federal and State) and (2) recommended items and "discussion points".

A major part of our VCSs is to provide boater education whenever needed / appropriate. Our exams typically take 15 - 20 minutes.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
Silver Duck

Question

I seem to remember reading that safetychecks are to be conducted at Shep Brown's this weekend. Is my memory correct?

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:14 AM   #9
Outlaw

Default Shep Brown's Vessel Safety Check Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
I seem to remember reading that safetychecks are to be conducted at Shep Brown's this weekend. Is my memory correct?

Silver Duck

There is a scheduled VSC day at Shep Brown's on June 19th from 8 AM to 3 PM conducted by the Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron. That is the only VSC scheduled at Shep Brown's at this time.

2004 VSC's for the summer (8 AM to 4 PM unless otherwise noted):

June 19th - South Down Boat Club, Paugus Bay
June 19th - Shep Brown's Marine, Meredith (8AM-3PM)
June 26th - West Alton Marine
June 26th - Fay's Boat Yard, Gilford
July 10th - Irwin Marine, Paugus Bay
July 10th - Parker Marine, Alton Bay
July 24th - Town Docks (Wolfeboro, Alton Bay, Weirs Beach, Meredith)
July 24th - Winnisquam @ Adams Marina AND Winnisquam Marine
July 24th - Squam @ Riveredge Marina AND Squam Boat Livery, Holderness
July 24th - Newfound Lake @ Newfound Marina, Hebron
July 24th - Ossipee Lake @ Ossipee Marina
July 31st - Antique Boat Show, Meredith Town Docks
August 1st - Antique Boat Show, Meredith Town Docks
Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 AM   #10
Outlaw

Default Vessel Safety Checks MP vs. LRSPS - Differences

You're exactly right when you say it is a matter of the individual performing the safety check, each person has their own style. Some can take as long as 20 minutes while others can be completed in 10 minutes. It really is a matter of how much the vessel owner/operator desires to learn (with regard to the recommended items and there are 8 of them) or how many questions they have. Also, if the owner/opeartor has taken the Boating Safety Class they have first hand knowledge of what safety equipment is required on their vessel and this can usually indicate a smooth and efficient inspection.

The safety check decal requirements which are either state/federal requirements are the same for the Marine Patrol as they are for the Power Squadron, all 15 of them.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:09 AM   #11
new boater

Default What about USCGA?

Nobody has mentioned the Coast Guard Auxiliary safety checks here. How does their effort differ from the MP and Power Squadron? I had a check by the USCGA and found it to be very thorough, informative and helpful.
new boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:02 AM   #12
Coastal Laker

Default CGAUX & USPS safety checks are the same check

Quote:
Originally Posted by new boater
Nobody has mentioned the Coast Guard Auxiliary safety checks here. How does their effort differ from the MP and Power Squadron? I had a check by the USCGA and found it to be very thorough, informative and helpful.
The CGAUX and the Power Squadron do the same check using the same form and award the same decal. It is a joint effort by both organizations. They work together to promote the same cause.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote