Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
chachee52

Default Kayak launch sites for Winnisquam

I know that all the public boat launches for trailered boats are pretty much gone. My father-in-law just moved up to Gilford and is an advid kayaker and wants to explore everything and was asking me about Winnisquam. I have spent my entire life on the big lake and know a ton of places on that lake to launch. His kayak is a very light wooden one so he is able to carry it a little if need be.
I question at the bridge across the street from Winnisquam Marine, is that parking lot there public or is it just for the marina?
Any suggestions are helpful.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
8gv

Ahern State Park off 106 in Laconia has a sandy launch. Check the signs. The gate may get locked at dusk.

Water St. Boat Ramp in Laconia is nice as well.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
dave603

There are a few free Fish and Game sites on Winnisquam.
The F&G ramp off of Water Street in Laconia has parking for single cartops, not many, but some.

This site lists some more, but I have not used them as I need a ramp.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/acce...ess-sites.html
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Close to Laconia City Hall, Sawyer's Jewelry, and the city indoor parking garage, the City of Laconia built a very nice kayak/canoe, hand carry, concrete, high quality, launch ramp into the Winnipesaukee River. It is about 50-yards below the Avery Dam in Laconia, and there's usually available parking spots very close to the launch ramp.

It is maybe 1/2-mile paddle down the Winnipesaukee River before it enters Lake Winnisquam, and this time of year, it can be a class two, white water paddle with very cold water.

If you get into trouble on the Winnipesaukee River, the Laconia Fire Dept has a small r.i.b. boat with an outboard, and they do a very fast job making river rescues ..... which is good to know. It's an in-the-city, urban type of a river until it enters Lake Winnisquam, and the fishing can be very good....... either trout or bass....depending on the water temperature.

Just behind the Boulia Gourrel Lumber Yard in Laconia, on the Winnipesaukee River, there's a state fish & game, boat launch with a loading ramp for trailer boats, and a nice, big dock that would be good for launching a kayak. It is maybe 100-yards from here before the river enters Lake Winnisquam.

If you wanted to run the fast water on the 1/2-mile long Winnipesaukee River, you could put in at the first ramp, just below the Avery Dam, and get out at the second ramp, just beyond Boulia Gourrell, before it enters Lake Winnisquam, knowing that the fire dept will come rescue you if you got into trouble, like flipp'n your kayak, what with the moving, icy cold water...... with all the local eyes on the river.....someone would probably call 911.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 AM   #5
Dad sold the C * C

If you take Bay road (at the lights across from the Winniquam Market) you will cross a small bridge with dirt parking on both sides. It's a small brook that brings you out just north of the sand bar.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
fatlazyless

www.mythicdrysuits.com, low price-$280, made in Maine, on the ocean, where the water is always too cold, plus a pfd, could maybe go better than a noodle ...... but a 5" x 42", $5.29-Wal-Mart, red-green-blue noodle works surprisingly good as a combo throw ring, or wearable swim belt with a line threaded down through the center hole to make it into a circle ring.

If you were to get flipped out of a kayak, into the icy cold water without a pfd, chances are you will quickly be totally overcome, and drown. Just look what happened to the three drowned guys, all on snowmobiles, back on Derby Day, in February..... and death is usually fo-evuh!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-17-2017 at 11:45 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
chachee52

Thank you all for your replies. With a 18' wooden hand built kayak he probably won't be doing any rapids right now, but later in the summer its good to know. We'll check out the other sites too in the next couple weeks. The water is still too cold for him, but he is starting to plan his trips already.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote