Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2004, 07:06 AM   #1
JohnNH

Default Sarge's Ramp Closed

This message is aimed at gaining support from everyone regarding the closing of Sarge's Store ramp on Winnisquam. This facility was recently purchased by Winnisquam Marine and they have closed the ramp in order to expand their core business ( this is not a grievance against them -- they are an outstanding marina and the expansion of their business will be a major benefit to their customers).

With the loss of yet another public ( pay) access to one of the largest lakes in the state, this will likely produce even more boat traffic on Winnipesaukee and other big lakes. We all need to contact NHF&G, DRED, DOS, Senators, Representatives from the NH House, Town Selectman, Chamber(s) of Commerce and the Governors Executive Council and pressure them to get a state owned facility installed at Ahern Park on Winnisquam.

This is a serious issue and all boaters have the right to public access to the Great Ponds of New Hampshire.

Thanks in advance for your support,

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
B R

Default options

that's suprising. what are the other options for public boat ramps in winnisquam? are there any?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Options for Winnisquam

You can launch at the following places for boating on Winnisquam:

Martel's Bait Shop
Bay Street
Laconia
524-2431
$10

Shalimar Resort
Route 3
Winnisquam NH
800-742-5462
524-1984
$10 in and $10 out
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Sarge's Store

click for newspaper story
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 AM   #5
JohnNH

Rattlesnake Gal,

Thanks for posting the other locations.

I have used the Martels facility for years. The parking at their facility is limited during the week since the lot belongs to another business that is open Monday through Friday. There is parking for about 35 or 40 on weekends.

With Sarge's closed the already congested area at Martels will become a problem.

The important issue is that the only facilities on the lake are private and if they decide to close down there will be NO public access to the lake.

John/NH
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

I agree that each lake should have a public access ramp. The question is, if only a few people call and write emails etc, will that really do anything? Should it or could it, be more organized than that to really make a statement and to make it more likely that people will take action? People will get behind you if you lead the way.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #7
JohnNH

Rattlesnake Gal,

I agree with your comments.

Our organization(s) consisting of over 600 anglers have already addressed this issue. Letters have been sent to multiple levels of the departments mentioned.

I have already discussed this face to face with the executive levels of the NHF&G department, two Senators and the NH Public Water Access Board.

I posted the message in an effort to educate the readers of this board and gain addtional support.

Regards,
John/NH
Old 06-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
zaney

John,

Thank you for your efforts in contacting F&G, our state senators, and for bringing this issue to our attention. Could you post an e-mail address that we can use to voice our opinions on the matter? I'm sure you'll gather much support this way. I hope the state moves quickly on this, I'd hate to see another fiasco like what's going on with the Lake Sunapee access. Winnisquam is too large of a lake to be a private playground for the waterfront propety owners. A lake of that size should have a FREE access like the ones on Newfound or Squam. Thanks again John. Keep up the good work, your efforts are appreciated!
zaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #9
JohnNH

The following is the email, telephone number and fax number for the Executive Director, NH Fish & Game Department = Mr. Lee Perry.

Please send letters or emails in support of a Public Access facility at Ahern Park on Winnisquam to his attention.

director@wildlife.state.nh.us
Tel. 603-271-3511
Fax. 603-271-1438

Thanks to all,

John/NH
Old 06-11-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thumbs up

Thank you JohnNH for your efforts. I hope everyone will take a moment and at the very least send an e-mail.
Please keep us posted on any developments.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:56 AM   #11
B R

Default winnisquam boat ramp article

http://www4.citizen.com/news2004/Jun...a_06.2104a.asp
Old 06-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
JohnNH

Thanks for the article.

I have already called the mayor.

It's unfortunate that the city council doesn't support boaters, anglers and public rights.

This news article speaks to the recent posting about Sunapee vs. Winnipesaukee vs. Winnisquam etc.

The comments by the city councilor ( Fred Toll from ward 3 ) ( if reported correctly) will certainly invite some public concern.

This should get interesting.

John/NH
Old 06-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #13
DW1585

Default Ahern Park Launch

John,
It appears that Allen MacNeil is our contact to get the job done at Winnisquam. Let's not let this process get dragged out for as long as the Sunapee access has taken.
As for all others that would like to see public access on Winnisquam, voice your concern to your State Representatives, Fish and Game, City Council (especially Mr. Toll) and selectmen of Belmont and Sanbornton. Winnisquam belongs to all the people of the State of New Hampshire and should be available to everyone including "out-of-state" traffic. Maybe when Bay Street is backed up to Rt. 3 and beyond with people waiting to launch their boats from Martel's, Mr. Toll will take notice.
John, thanks for all you do and let me know if I can help.
Dana
DW1585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Private Playground

Most of the Bassboaters that I've seen are daytrippers and don't really add much to the local economy other than their launching fee. The biggest majority of them have 150 to 250 HP 2 cycle outboards that spit out oil and unburned gas.Every year I've watched them yank female bass right off the spawning beds next to my dock.......I don't think that's very sporting....spawning bass will strike at anything to protect their nest.
I love the "private playground for shore owners" comments.......Maybe the bassboaters want to help out with our 15K plus tax bills
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 AM   #15
zaney

Samian, when are you going to post something positive for once? It's just like you to turn this thread around and start bashing "Bassboaters". You're missing the point, Winnisquam is a PUBLIC BODY OF WATER and it should be available to everyone in state or out of state. If you can't afford your 15k tax bill, then sell your property and quit complaining. Not everyone is fortunate enough to own waterfront property, but that doesn't mean the less fortunate should be denied access to the resource.

You're 15k tax bill doesn't mean you own the lake. When are you finally going to understand that?

This post is about public access, don't let SAMIAN hijack this thread with his anti-fishing agenda.

Last edited by zaney; 06-22-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:03 PM   #16
JohnNH

Samiam,

Let me help set the record straight:

1) Bass Boats cost an average of $30,000 to 35,000 or more, and most of the owners purchase a new boat about every 3 years. Add to that another $30,000 for a tow vehicle every 4 to 5 years. Now add at least $1,000 in tackle every year, tournament entry fees, $100's in fuel, $300 to $500 in maintenance, $100's in launch fees, $100's in Hotel fees, $1,000's in access fees for rental of sites to host events, etc. Those numbers are substantial contributions to the economy. ( please note that the boating public also pays taxes. These taxes may not be as much as you pay on your waterfront home, but when you add the cost of the items listed, your bill is less. I don't own a pleasure boat and hope that somone on the board that trailers thaeir pleasure boat to a variety of lakes can comment on their costs and access rights.

2) The organization I belong to ( North East Bass Association of New Hampshire ) ( this is the largest non-profit group in NH ) does NOT hold tournaments during the spawn season. All organizations MUST release all fish they catch back into the water ( this is mandated ). Our average kill ratio is less than 3%. I will assume that someone will comment on delayed mortality which is an unknown number. Even if it was 25% to 50% that still a substantial difference from 100% on trout & salmon. ( by the way, those Bass that are guarding the beds are Males - once they have spawned - the ladies go off on their own )

3) Just a technical FYI:
New outboards are HPDI or Ficht technology and in many cases they are 4 stroke engines. The new 2 strokes are more fuel efficient and produce less emissions than ever before. They also exceed the California emissions standards.

Summary:
Please review these tidbits and perhaps you would like to re-state your comments.

Waterfront owners and those that are not privileged to have a waterfront home own the water all the way up to the high water mark on your property. I would hope that no-one ever gets that close to your property, and in return, you should recognize their privilege to have access to the public waterways.

Now back to the initial intention of this post:

The lake in discussion ( Winnisquam ) belongs to the PUBLIC. Access to this facility for boating of all types ( power, paddle, wind ) is a right that the public is entitled to and deserves. If you don't agree, please check NH regulations, Federal level = Dingall-Johnson Act & Wallop-Breaux Act. Once you have done this you will likely have a better understanding of the rights that the pubic is entitled to.

John/NH
Old 06-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
B R

Default 10 acres public access

what i found interesting is that NH mandates public access to all lakes over 10 acres in size. that's an awfuly small lake they're talking about. winnisquam is over 4200 acres!!!

more on lakes region sizes:

http://lakesregion.org/whereto/lakefact.htm
Old 06-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #18
SAMIAM

JohnNH,you make a good argument.I must admit that you present your facts well and I agree with a lot you had to say.Unlike Zaney,that just went off on me (can't handle a little criticism)
I did chuckle after Zaney refers to Bassboaters as "less fortunate" and John rightfully lists the substantial investment needed to participate in the sport.
I certainly don't think I own the lake and actually look forward to the summer activity.I have no issues with performance boats or PWC's.......I guess my main beef is the fact that,often,when I am on my dock or beach with my family,a fisherman will actually cast right up to my dock,boat,and along the fringes of the swimming area.I just think that is common courtesy.It's got nothing to do with who lives where or who owns what.I don't think any of you would appreciate it either.
Aside from that.......I admit I was a little harsh......and promise to give a big smile and a wave to the next Bassboater that I see........unless he drops a lure in my cocktail.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:45 AM   #19
SAMIAM

JohnNH,you make a good argument.I must admit that you present your facts well and I agree with a lot you had to say.Unlike Zaney,that just went off on me (can't handle a little criticism)
I did chuckle after Zaney refers to Bassboaters as "less fortunate" and John rightfully lists the substantial investment needed to participate in the sport.
I certainly don't think I own the lake and actually look forward to the summer activity.I have no issues with performance boats or PWC's.......I guess my main beef is the fact that,often,when I am on my dock or beach with my family,a fisherman will actually cast right up to my dock,boat,and along the fringes of the swimming area.I just think that is common courtesy.It's got nothing to do with who lives where or who owns what.I don't think any of you would appreciate it either.
Aside from that.......I admit I was a little harsh......and promise to give a big smile and a wave to the next Bassboater that I see........unless he drops a lure in my cocktail.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #20
zaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Most of the Bassboaters that I've seen are daytrippers and don't really add much to the local economy other than their launching fee. The biggest majority of them have 150 to 250 HP 2 cycle outboards that spit out oil and unburned gas.Every year I've watched them yank female bass right off the spawning beds next to my dock.......I don't think that's very sporting....spawning bass will strike at anything to protect their nest.
I love the "private playground for shore owners" comments.......Maybe the bassboaters want to help out with our 15K plus tax bills
Re-read your first post SAMIAN. What does this have to do with public access at Winnisquam? Every post in the thread was relevant to the topic except yours. In fact, the word bass wasn't even mentioned until you came along. That's why I went off on you(not to mention your ignorant generalizations about bass fisherman/bass boats). Stick to the topic or start a new thread. If you want to vent your anger towards bass fisherman, just go over to the General Discussion forum. Fat Jack just started a thread and I'm sure you'll have a lot of useful information to contribute which is sure to enhance the lives of fourm members everywhere.

JohnNH does present his facts well. However, he shouldn't have to defend bass fisherman in this thread. It was started to gain support for a public access on Winnisquam which will benefit EVERYONE, not to discuss bass fisherman.

Once again, thank you for your efforts John. Keep fighting the good fight, my friend!!!

Last edited by zaney; 06-23-2004 at 09:50 AM.