Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
Old Sarge

Default Things to do on Cape Cod?

The wife and I are going to a concert in Boston on a Thursday night in July. I figured that after the concert (late) we could drive on to Cape Cod for the weekend. We have never been to the cape so I was hoping that someone might know some cool things we could do. I think we will take a ferry to Martha's Vineyard one day. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Maybe a tip about where we should stay. We are not really interested in swimming in the ocean but a nice walk on the beach somewhere, sightseeing, eating out, seeing historic sights etc. A trip to Provincetown maybe? Thanks much!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Only place I've been on the Cape/islands is Nantucket. First experience was gigging with a band there. After that, went with various girlfriends to visit and do long weekend type mini-vacations. Nice place with a whaling history, shopping in the "quaint" downtown area, renting a Jeep to drive out on the dunes (best time)
Renting scooters to see the island. Restaurants are plentiful as well. Beaches galore!
Not sure if they "shut down" in winter to some degree because my experiences were in summer/fall.
Just saw you're going in July...lots of fun there then!
Some say it's more commercial but to me that just means less boring...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
kawishiwi

Default Ferry?

Take the ferry to provincetown and follow the cape back on the road?
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
Old Sarge

No, we are going over the Borne bridge. We would take the ferry out of Falmouth to Martha's Vineyard and spend the day. Looking for things to do the other two days!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Traffic

Going to the Cape, late on Thursday will be OK. Coming home, I suggest you wait until after Monday am rush hour. Crossing the Cape Cod Canal can be a very slow process.
Depending on the time your Boston event ends, I'd consider driving to Providence and flying to Nantucket. You don't need a car. You can rent bicycles or Mopeds. Taxi from the airport to your hotel or B & B.
P-town was mildly interesting. Took an hour to get there, an hour to see it and an hour back to the house.
To me, the Cape is all about beaches. There are great beaches on Nantucket, too, if you just want to walk in the sand. Lots of history, shops etc, and villages. Jared Coffin House is a wonderful 19th century B & B near the steamship docks. I chuckle that breakfast is included, but they give you a menu with $30 prices, "so you'll know how much to tip." Honest!
We've stayed at several different places, all good, as everything is very competitive. Probably best to make hotel and bike/moped reservations early (Young's Bike rentals). We usually go in the off season, so it's hard to suggest specific events. There is a nice whaling museum near the ferry dock. Next time, we're going to the Vineyard. Never been there.
Because this is a lakes region forum, I have to point out that the reason you go to the Cape/Islands is so that you will know how much you'd really rather be at Winnipesaukee.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (03-31-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Sarge, reservations are a must during the summer, if you plan on taking your car over. I have had relatives living in Vineyard Haven most of my life. Only had to take a vehicle over a few times. We booked our reservations weeks in advance, and we were just barely of season. Check it out now.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old Sarge (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

The only reason I visit the Cape is to drive on the beach--best way to find solitude. Race Point is the draw for me.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

You've got to visit the Beachcomber in Wellfleet. Get there early because the parking lot fills up quickly in July.
Also the Chatham fish pier is a pretty cool place. Tons of seals swimming right up to the pier.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-04-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
dave603

Check out going on a Whale watch. There are usually free pamphlets advertising different ones at the visitor centers near the bridges and in the rest area on RT.6

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone there does do seal / great white shark trips out of Chatham.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-04-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

If you take the Island Queen out of Falmouth it will drop you in Oak Bluffs. There is a lot to see in that area and several restaurants and pubs within walking distance from the ferry drop. If you are not staying long I wouldn't waste the money bringing the car over and you would need to go to Woods Hole for the car ferry.

The Wesley hotel is interesting, on the water in Oak Bluffs, and not too upscale. It feels like a very local cape place and again, it is within walking distance. Many years ago we boated to the island and rented mopeds for the day. We were able to cover most of the island on the mopeds. Interesting and scenic. Oak Bluffs harbor will have over 100 boats backed up to the sidewalk and it is interesting and fun to walk the the entire sidewalk that runs the around perimeter of the harbor.

If you have time to go to Edgartown you can take the quick (2 minutes) ferry across to Chappaquiddick. Great beaches and a chance to see what remains of Teddy's Car Wash.

I have been to both islands many times and I always found more interesting things to do on the Vineyard. But that is my opinion, I am sure that other people have a different take.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
jenfa

You really have to drive all the way to the Province Lands Visitor Center. Just the drive alone, seeing the dunes along the way are breathtaking.

You could stop at Red Maple Swamp in Eastham at Fort Hill. They are doing renovations to the boardwalk but I am pretty sure it will be completed by then. The parking is free and the lot is very close to the shore, if you don’t want to walk far.

In Wellfleet you can hike through the Audubon along the Cape Cod National Seashore, there is a small entrance fee but it’s worth it if you like bird watching and nature. The parking is free there.

There are plenty of beaches along the way. I am partial to the beaches on the bay side, maybe stop in Truro at Corn Hill Beach. If you want a beach with large rolling surf, you should stop at one of the ocean side beaches.

If you want a low key lunch, try pizza at Spiritus in Provincetown. You can eat inside or better yet, eat on the stone wall out front and people watch. If you want a sit down meal there are just so many places to eat there. I Bayside Betsy’s on the West End. No matter where you eat, make sure you have an ocean view!

I could go on! I love the Cape as much as I love the Lake. Have fun!
jenfa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jenfa For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #12
persistence

The wesley is now called https://www.summercamphotel.com/. Its a neat place on Oak Bluffs harbor. OB is a fun place to come into by ferry. A lot of activity. there are van / taxis that split the costs with others. And the bus is pretty cheap to get around on if you check the schedule. The beach over by the Jaws bridge is nice... you have to go for a jump off the bridge .

Menemsha is neat but a long ride out to. And Edgartown is a great place to walk around. Not too far from OB.
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to persistence For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
NH.Solar

Default explore the canal

There is a paved bike/pedestrian path the runs along the canal from Bourne to Sandwich. I suggest parking on the Cape side of the Bourne bridge at the base of the railroad bridge, seeing the unique old bridge alone may make it worth your while. From there you can also easily walk to a nice vantage point in Gray Gables opposite the Maritime Academy and tug station, and the Aptucxet Trading Post museum. If you bring bikes peddling to the Sandwich end of the canal is a decent workout. Lot's of places to sit, enjoy a lunch, and watch the boats going by. Be aware of wind at your back when you set out though because that means it is likely going to be an "uphill" peddle all the way back.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
Woody38

Great place to visit Old Sarge, beware the traffic is always a problem in the summer. Allow extra time. In Falmouth you can visit Highfield Hall and Gardens, College Light Opera Company (June28-August 27). The Wampanoag Pow Wow is July1-3 at the Barnstable Fairgrounds I do think.
Check the Falmouth site, https://issuu.com/falmouthchamber/do...60313/34854232

In Hyannis is the Cape Cod Melody Tent. www.melodytent.org

There are many art galleries on the cape also.

Enjoy your visit.

We lived in New Seabury for 20 years and left in 1999.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #15
September

Default Canal cruise

If you're staying in the Falmouth/Bourne area, there are cruises of the canal which are close. You have to go back across to the main land to board, but the information that you get about the building of this remarkable canal and the bridges, etc. is fascinating. If you like baseball, Cape Cod Baseball League has great games. Pick up the Cape Cod Times for schedule.
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Persistence. Thank you for the name change info on the Wesley. It has been a long time since I was in Oak Bluffs.

We used to boat down from Beverly MA through the Cape Cod Canal and Woods Hole and spend a week in that area. It is about 90 miles from Beverly to the Vineyard. I always tried to reserve slip 45 (or one close to it) in Oak Bluffs because it is right in front of the hotel.

The Wesley Hotel would give you soap and a towel and let you use the showers in there for $5. The newer Summer Camp Hotel looks a little too fancy for that. I doubt they would still do it.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #17
jetlag100

Default Cape

Leaving your car on mainland when you go to the Vineyard? There's buses that go all day long ...stop in every town...as far as the cape goes, it depends on how far you want to drive... Cape Cod National Seashore Park is really nice...you can drive the outer Cape. and make your way up the outer limb of the Cape and see tons!...Don't , I repeat, don't come back north on Sunday...you'll regret it. Google Scenic drive of outer Cape Cod...lots to see and do...Good luck
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-04-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #18
Old Sarge

Thumbs up

I want to thank everyone who responded with so many great recommendations! I know that this is a Winnie forum but I knew you all would provide great information and I appreciate it. So as of right now it looks like this is the agenda:
Thursday:
Dinner at Durgin Park
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers 40th anniversary tour.
Drive to Hyannis where we have hotel reservations.
Friday:
8AM ferry to Martha’s Vinyard (No car)
Tour of the island.
Shopping
Supper
Late ferry back to Hyannis.
Saturday:
10 AM Whale watching excursion.
Afternoon canal cruise
Sunday:
Provincetown by car with stops at Wellfleet and Chatham, Cape Cod National Seashore Park, et al.
Monday:
Late start with a stop at Plymouth Plantation
Supper at Jacob Wirth’s in Boston.
Wednesday:
Back on Winnie!!!
I will keep you all posted on how the trip went, Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Sarge For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Sounds great. Need someone to carry your luggage??? 😁

Sent from my SM-G930V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
I want to thank everyone who responded with so many great recommendations! I know that this is a Winnie forum but I knew you all would provide great information and I appreciate it. So as of right now it looks like this is the agenda:
Thursday:
Dinner at Durgin Park
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers 40th anniversary tour.
Drive to Hyannis where we have hotel reservations.
Friday:
8AM ferry to Martha’s Vinyard (No car)
Tour of the island.
Shopping
Supper
Late ferry back to Hyannis.
Saturday:
10 AM Whale watching excursion.
Afternoon canal cruise
Sunday:
Provincetown by car with stops at Wellfleet and Chatham, Cape Cod National Seashore Park, et al.
Monday:
Late start with a stop at Plymouth Plantation
Supper at Jacob Wirth’s in Boston.
Wednesday:
Back on Winnie!!!
I will keep you all posted on how the trip went, Thanks again!
Now that's a man with a plan.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #21
Fargo

Default Full schedule

That's a full schedule. Unfortunately that schedule will keep you on the highways the entire time and not a chance to enjoy the cape off the beaten path. Keep in mind the weekly rentals change on Saturday. The bridges are clogged with people leaving and arriving in both directions. Forget that canal cruise. Go to P town another trip. Poke around Falmouth and rent a bike to take the shore path to Woods Hole. We had a house on the cape for 12 years, you don't want to sit in traffic for three days. Here's an idea, cancel your reservation in Hyannis and avoid that grid locked traffic and stay in Falmouth. Take the Island Queen boat for a relaxing cruise to MV. Ride the open air bus from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown for a couple bucks. We loved owning on the cape, so much to see and do. Enjoy.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
persistence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Persistence. Thank you for the name change info on the Wesley. It has been a long time since I was in Oak Bluffs.

We used to boat down from Beverly MA through the Cape Cod Canal and Woods Hole and spend a week in that area. It is about 90 miles from Beverly to the Vineyard. I always tried to reserve slip 45 (or one close to it) in Oak Bluffs because it is right in front of the hotel.

The Wesley Hotel would give you soap and a towel and let you use the showers in there for $5. The newer Summer Camp Hotel looks a little too fancy for that. I doubt they would still do it.
I believe they still rent out the showers. We were pretty much in front of them last august, i forget the slip number. If you have kids, stop in, they have all sorts of games and stuff.

We came down from Boston and got the usual butt kicking in buzzards bay. Actually stayed a night in onset then on to OB the next day and the bay was like a pond.

Its a fun harbor. You don't want to be there in a noreaster though... i've seen boats slamming the walls before. We were there a few years ago for hurricane Arthur, the night it came through we went over to falmouth. I didn't want to get stuck in OB riding it out. The harbor can be a washing machine .
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #23
Old Sarge

Thanks for the information Fargo! We have a hotel that we booked in Hyannis that is only a five minute walk to the Hy-line ferry to Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard so I don't think traffic will be an issue on Friday. The Whale watch cruise is out of West Barnstable only 14 miles away at 7:30 AM so how hard would that be. I think you may be right about the Canal cruise as we would have to go over the bridge to Onset in the early afternoon on Saturday to catch the cruise. That only leaves Sunday. Do you think we could avoid a lot of traffic If we were to leave Hyannis at 6 AM and drive directly to Provincetown? We could then make our way back to Hyannis during the day stopping at sights along the way. Let me know what you think! Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
Fargo

Default Plan

That sounds doable. When in Barnstable drive along Old rt 6a either direction and check out the historic homes. Drive down any side road toward the ocean and check out the neighborhoods. Love those old slow curves. Have fun.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-04-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #25
Cobalt 25

You didn't specify a date in July but if it works with my schedule my wife and I can give you a boat ride somewhere on the Cape. It's a trailer boat so we can go virtually anywhere around the Cape and usually make our decision based on the wind direction.

Been vacationing at Winni since the 50s and will be up there for the week after the Fourth this year but now live on the Cape. People have posted some very good suggestions, and I can certainly add more from a local perspective.

PM me if you are interested, but have fun in any event...

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-16-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #26
21 LBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
The wife and I are going to a concert in Boston on a Thursday night in July. I figured that after the concert (late) we could drive on to Cape Cod for the weekend. We have never been to the cape so I was hoping that someone might know some cool things we could do. I think we will take a ferry to Martha's Vineyard one day. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Maybe a tip about where we should stay. We are not really interested in swimming in the ocean but a nice walk on the beach somewhere, sightseeing, eating out, seeing historic sights etc. A trip to Provincetown maybe? Thanks much!
Marconi beach in Wellfleet best beach I've ever been on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
21 LBL is offline   Reply With Quote