Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
depasseg

Default Any tips for applying registration lettering?

A buddy just brought a boat up to the lake that has no registration lettering on the bow.

Any tips for sticking on the letters/numbers to make them look neat? I'm sure he doesn't want it to look like a 5 year old arts & crafts project.

Thanks,
Greg
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
A buddy just brought a boat up to the lake that has no registration lettering on the bow.

Any tips for sticking on the letters/numbers to make them look neat? I'm sure he doesn't want it to look like a 5 year old arts & crafts project.

Thanks,
Greg
If he buys custom letters, sometimes they come on a sheet already spaced and ready to apply. That helps a lot.
Just tell him to take his time. It might help to put the letters where he would like them before peeling off the backing (use scotch tape) so he can see what it will look like at the end.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
jmen24

Use a long thin piece of painters tape as your line. Determine where you want the decals to be. Measure down from the rub rail (keeping in mind the size of your decals and how much space you want between the decal and rub rail) and set a long stretch of the painters tape. This will be your line, similar to when you hand write a note, keeps everything on the same plane.

Now pick a measurement reference at the point of the bow. Choose something that you can go back too time and time again, from both sides. Now determine where you want your decals to start back from the bow. Put a small vertical piece of tape here. Keep in mind that nobody is going to ever measure the placement of these decals, so if your sides are off a 1/4" one way or the other, no one will care or likely know.

Now with your reference marks set you no longer have to use a measurement devise and can put that away. Armed with your roll of tape, assemble your lettering for each side using a small piece of tape at the top of each decal to "place" it. This will allow you to see if you want to move the decal set before the point of no return. If you don't like where they are, start from the beginning and place them somewhere else or in a different orientation all together.

Once you have determined where you want to place them, you have two options:

1. You can move down the line and place each one individually and depending on the curve of the location, may be the easiest option, as you only ruin one decal if a mistake is made. This is my preferred method for a curved application.

2. You place two horizontal strips over the top of the entire decal set and remove all of them, peel all of them and then reset them as a whole. This typically takes two people and depending on the curve of the location, might even be impossible.

Edit: And option 3, Chipj29's custom lettering approach. Just remember to spray the area with soapy water and have a small squeegee to remove the water under the decal with this method. Let it dry (within a few minutes) then rinse the area using a cloth to stimulate the dried soapy solution and help it off.

Just remember to use a wax prep on the area before you place the decals. This removes the existing layer of wax and will allow for better adhesion to the hull. The boat will always have these numbers (if the ownership does not change or the registration lapses) and for the install to look good for years, this is necessary. The next owner can figure out how to change them! After you place all the decals, you need to wax this area again with a few coats to get caught back up to the rest of the boat. I would then apply a coat over the whole boat and give it a good buff to blend everything back together.

If you still have questions, Youtube is your friend.

Last edited by jmen24; 05-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (05-19-2014), secondcurve (05-24-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
winnipiseogee

Man - wish I had seen this thread yesterday. I bought a boat in VT and had to put the numbers and letters on yesterday. Mine look like my 3 year old did it.

Oh well. If you see a whaler with kindergarten registration lettering wave to me!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default soapy water

As noted, the easiest thing to do is to buy the letters preset on 1 sheet, soak the application area with soapy water and slide until you get them in the right spot, then squeegee the water out and remove the backing.

here is a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=648zplISC7o
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (12-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Bear Islander

One thing to remember is you need to use contrasting colors and a legible font. The Marine Patrol expect the lettering to be easily read from a distance.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
nhboat61

Default old letters

This one popped up, just as I was thinking....

This week I'm going to register my PWC in New Hampshire, it is currently registered in Connecticut ( tax capital of the world) ,( i keep all my vessels in NH... no need to bath them in the polluted waters of beautiful CT) so I would believe my bow numbers will change. What is the best way of getting the old numbers off?
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Man - wish I had seen this thread yesterday. I bought a boat in VT and had to put the numbers and letters on yesterday. Mine look like my 3 year old did it.

Oh well. If you see a whaler with kindergarten registration lettering wave to me!
A couple of ours look like that too.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
This one popped up, just as I was thinking....

This week I'm going to register my PWC in New Hampshire, it is currently registered in Connecticut ( tax capital of the world) ,( i keep all my vessels in NH... no need to bath them in the polluted waters of beautiful CT) so I would believe my bow numbers will change. What is the best way of getting the old numbers off?
hairdryer to get the sticker off, then something to remove the glue (turps, even gas)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
jetlag100

Absolutely a hair dryer. Makes short work of it
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Use a long thin piece of painters tape as your line. Determine where you want the decals to be. Measure down from the rub rail (keeping in mind the size of your decals and how much space you want between the decal and rub rail) and set a long stretch of the painters tape. This will be your line, similar to when you hand write a note, keeps everything on the same plane.

Now pick a measurement reference at the point of the bow. Choose something that you can go back too time and time again, from both sides. Now determine where you want your decals to start back from the bow. Put a small vertical piece of tape here. Keep in mind that nobody is going to ever measure the placement of these decals, so if your sides are off a 1/4" one way or the other, no one will care or likely know.

Now with your reference marks set you no longer have to use a measurement devise and can put that away. Armed with your roll of tape, assemble your lettering for each side using a small piece of tape at the top of each decal to "place" it. This will allow you to see if you want to move the decal set before the point of no return. If you don't like where they are, start from the beginning and place them somewhere else or in a different orientation all together.

Once you have determined where you want to place them, you have two options:

1. You can move down the line and place each one individually and depending on the curve of the location, may be the easiest option, as you only ruin one decal if a mistake is made. This is my preferred method for a curved application.

2. You place two horizontal strips over the top of the entire decal set and remove all of them, peel all of them and then reset them as a whole. This typically takes two people and depending on the curve of the location, might even be impossible.

Edit: And option 3, Chipj29's custom lettering approach. Just remember to spray the area with soapy water and have a small squeegee to remove the water under the decal with this method. Let it dry (within a few minutes) then rinse the area using a cloth to stimulate the dried soapy solution and help it off.

Just remember to use a wax prep on the area before you place the decals. This removes the existing layer of wax and will allow for better adhesion to the hull. The boat will always have these numbers (if the ownership does not change or the registration lapses) and for the install to look good for years, this is necessary. The next owner can figure out how to change them! After you place all the decals, you need to wax this area again with a few coats to get caught back up to the rest of the boat. I would then apply a coat over the whole boat and give it a good buff to blend everything back together.

If you still have questions, Youtube is your friend.
Or, go to BoatUS.com and have them made in your choice of font and color. It will come as one strip, so you can't get it crooked.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
hairdryer to get the sticker off, then something to remove the glue (turps, even gas)
I'd highly recommend using Goo-Gone and NOT gas. Gas will certainly take the glue off, but it will also ruin your paint via discoloration. I did this once and thought it was a great with how easy it worked. Little did I realize I just ruined the paint. I guess live and learn
Old 05-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Or, go to BoatUS.com and have them made in your choice of font and color. It will come as one strip, so you can't get it crooked.
Good advice there. If you do go this route, do not apply the strip in direct sunlight. I learned that the hard way.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
ghfromaltonbay

Default Wd-40

WD-40 takes sticky residue off without ruining the finish. I've used it to take stickers off china plates, glassware and plastic containers. Dawn or any other grease cutting dish soap washes off the WD-40 left after removing the stickers or decals.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Post 2 and 3 covered this style of install, but it is nice for the OP to have a location for purchase other than a local source.

Really the only reason for a decal to be installed crooked is if the installer is rushing or removes all of the backing at once. Backing paper is split for a reason.

I also have had good luck with Goof Off for removing that adhesive.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Gator Signs

I let Gator Signs do all the work. Very reasonable and can be done in like 15 minutes if they are not busy. They are located in Gilford across for Gilford Home Center.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

I had Gator do mine also. Very good work.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
depasseg

Thanks for all the info. You are a truly amazing bunch!!

I'll pass it along. Gator/Boatus.com pre-made vinyl sounds like the lowest risk/least effort approach.

Greg
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
EllyPoinster

Default Another Thumbs Up for Gator

Stopped by today for an initial registration and bow numbers. Fifteen minutes and $30 later (plus registration fee) and I was on my way. Nice folks and a professional job.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
camp guy

Default Boat registration

Soooooooooo, what wrong with looking like a five year old's art project ? Everybody in the family ought to contribute to the boating experience.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote