Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
RUGMAN

Default map of mountain range

Where might I find a map of the Ossipee montain range with names of the peaks I am looking at when sitting at the Weirs pier.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
Where might I find a map of the Ossipee montain range with names of the peaks I am looking at when sitting at the Weirs pier.

Castle in the Clouds have a few nice ones

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Geneva Point

This is the only map I have of the Ossipees.
Attached Images

Geneva Point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geneva Point For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
fatlazyless

So's, whatta is dat Mt Washington, high up on the mountain, distance from hayuh to thayuh; how many air miles from Lincoln Park in Gilford to the summit tip top on Mt Washington, which can be seen from Lincoln Park ........ ayuh?

Is it really 33.29 air miles, like what somebody said, or what?

Supposedly, according to Wikipedia, the distance visible out to the horizon as seen while standing atop a sailboat mast, 100' above the water, is 12.2 miles across the open ocean, beyond which visibility shrinks down to 'no can see' with the curvature of this here planet.

Mt Washington has a summit height of 6288' and the Lake Winnipesaukee water level has an elevation of 504', so am wondering what's the air mile distance between the two as it seems to be considerably greater than 12.2 miles, what with the difference in elevations making it possible to see the Mt Washington summit area from Lincoln Park?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-24-2019 at 08:14 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
winnipiseogee

The Moultonborough country store has a really neat topo map of the white mountains that actually has raised manifestations for the various mountains. I’ve always loved it for spinning around to my view point and determining which mountains I’m looking at!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
RUGMAN

thanks for all the information, looks like I will take a ride to the country store and check out what they have.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Beauport

Default Peakfinder

If you are looking to identify peaks, I recommend PeakFinder which is a phone app. It identifies the peaks and can overlay the annotation on a picture...very cool.
Beauport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
The Real BigGuy

I hate to respond to FLL but, yes, it is because Mt Wash is + approx 5700 ft above your viewing point. Go to the top someday and see how far you can see from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
stingray (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not positive but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva Point View Post
This is the only map I have of the Ossipees.
Not positive, but that looks like a photo that Dave Roberts, long time member and poster who passed away a while back, may have taken. Dave was an avid hiker who documented mountain views and trails, including some for the Belknap Range and Ossipee Range.

He had many photos in this site's Photo Gallery. Miss his documentary and photo posts.

Dave
Old 02-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
fltsimguy

I’ve used this map a few times for hiking. http://www.franklinsites.com/hikepho...itossipees.php

There’s also a cool app on smart phones called PeakFinder. It uses your location to determine which mountains you’re looking at by overlaying your view with the peaks. Really cool
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
NH.Solar

Here's a link to a State site that will give you some great topo detail once you have narrowed down what you are looking at; https://wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/topo.html
..and here's another for the smaller lakes and ponds; https://wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/bathymetry.html
Lastly here is a link to a another retailer in Lincoln that also sells the raised relief maps mentioned; The Mountain Wanderer. If you cut them carefully at the edges they can be joined together. It is then easy to measure distances and see if a particular mountain that you are looking for might be blocked by a hill or mountain before it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
DougNH (02-26-2019), Trail Goer (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Bear Islander

This shows the names, heights and distances for mountains you can see from the north part of Bear Island.
Attached Images

Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (02-25-2019), Diana (02-26-2019), fatlazyless (02-25-2019), Top-Water (02-25-2019), Trail Goer (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Here's another one.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #14
fatlazyless

https://lrct.org/explorelearn/castle-in-the-clouds/ ..... in the introduction to their hiking trails it doesn't say anything about mountain bikes, so could be biking probably is not allowed? Mountain bikers probably get injured more than hikers with their pedal speed ..... plus biking and hiking along side one another on the same narrow trail is problematic.

Oh well, is not too difficult here in central NH to find a decent pair of hiking shoes/boots down at the local thrift store for short money, and go walk those mountain trails, from end to end, up and down, back and forth, hither and thither, to the summit by the direct route ..... asap-pdq .... in those super high quality thrift store Merrell walk'n shoes ...... and thrift store Thorlo socks ...... and a thrift store Kelty pack with a home made sternum strap ...... just like Pocahontas and John Muir walk'n those trails, long ago....... to the summit ...... how much further is it ...... anyway..... and, when do we eat!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-26-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
https://lrct.org/explorelearn/castle-in-the-clouds/ ..... in the introduction to their hiking trails it doesn't say anything about mountain bikes, so could be biking probably is not allowed? Mountain bikers probably get injured more than hikers? Oh well, is not too difficult to find a decent pair of hiking shoes/boots down at the local thrift store for short money, and go walk those mountain trails, from end to end, up and down, back and forth, hither and thither, to the summit by the direct route ..... asp-pdq .... in those super high quality thrift store walk'n shoes ...... and thrift store Thorlo socks!
Mountain biking is only allowed at one LRCT property, in Hill, NH. Bikes have a greater impact on trails.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Not positive, but that looks like a photo that Dave Roberts, long time member and poster who passed away a while back, may have taken. Dave was an avid hiker who documented mountain views and trails, including some for the Belknap Range and Ossipee Range.

He had many photos in this site's Photo Gallery. Miss his documentary and photo posts.

Dave
I believe that you are correct:
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I believe that you are correct:
Any high resolution versions of those?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #18
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Any high resolution versions of those?

I have a file of Dave Robert's photos from a CD that he gave, original resolution a bit better but may not meet image size posting guidelines. I'll give it a try without resizing:

after re-posting I can see that the photo post system cut the resolution back
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (02-26-2019), Diana (02-26-2019), DougNH (02-26-2019), Top-Water (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Default ..... down sized from 4003' to 3995' ?

Mt Tecumseh: 4003' or 3995' ?

Located to the left of 4180' Mt Tripyramid and behind 2030' Red Hill on the map above in post #14, it seems that maybe Mt Tecumseh, home to the Waterville Valley ski area will maybe get downgraded from 4003' to 3995' according to a believable post in the Appalachian Mountain Club, Feb 24 2019, face book. Something about measuring it with something called 'Lidar'.

2030' Red Hill, located in the lakes region, Squam Lake and Lake Winnipesaukee town of Moultonborough is also blocking the view of 4314' Mt Osceola which is a totally excellent 4-5 hour hike, up and down, with a huge view from the summit. Mt Osceola is a way better hike here than Mt Tecumseh, and Osceola had a fire lookout tower on the summit https://firelookout.org/lookouts/nh/osceola.htm from 1910-1985 with an interesting set of stairs to get up top the tower, plus a small kitchen style sink inside the cabin on top the tower.

Definitely not fake news here! ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tecumseh

New Hampshire has 48 different mountains that qualify as 4000'ers, under the rules as related to adjoining peaks, for a long time like for over 100-years, and if it proves true then Mt Tecumseh, always the lowest 4000'er, would be one less 4000'er for a total of 47. Truly a big deal for the NH hiking community ..... omg! How ignoble to suffer the loss of that 4000' summit status ....... Lord have mercy! ...... please, everyone pray for Mt Tecumseh that it truly is a NH 4000'er as of yesterday, today, and forever!

With the price for a Waterville Valley lift ticket now priced at 93-dollars on Saturdays and holidays, me-thinks the snow gods got annoyed with that too high price, and decided to lower the height of their mountain, down to 3995', to show their disapproval! So, it's higher price, and lower mountain!

So, let's see ...... in December 2017, the speed limit on 12-mile long Route 49 going to the mountain, was increased from 40 to 50-mph ..... which had absolutely positively nothing to do with Governor Sununu ....... and now in late February 2019 ...... the summit height has been marked down to 3995' ...... boo-hoo-hoo! ...

All season long, the ski area has been dealing with many problems trying to keep their aging lifts up and running ...... and now their mountain gets marked down to 3995' ....... oh well ..... that's the ski biz ...... going down hill!

https://www.facebook.com/AppalachianMountainClub/ .... Feb 24 w/ 59-comments on this, so far... and 4003 different, high quality, AMC photos ...... oopsie, a recount now says it's only 3995 different, high quality, AMC photographs .....oh no and egad .... such an unhappy diminution .... boo-hoo-hoo! ...

So, build an eight foot tall, pile of rocks, high up atop this mountain, upon that Mt Tecumseh summit spot, a memorial 8' tall rock cairn for the historic leader of the Shawnee, Chief Tecumseh, 1768-1813, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecumseh. This lengthy Wikipedia reference for Chief Tecumseh really takes a good look at early american history between England, Canada, the U.S. and Native Americans leading up to the War of 1812.

US Navy Submarine Tecumseh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tecumseh_(SSBN-628)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-01-2019 at 06:20 PM.