Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
Sandyisl

Default Sunday Morning Post... Card, Unique perspective of Wolfeboro

Good Morning all,
Hope you are well, as am i.
Please enjoy this scan. I thought this was different.
At first look I didn't recognize it as wolfeboro and spent a few seconds trying to figure, what is the ugly building?

I guess I have not been in that particular location and had that perspective. im sure many have. Makes me think there are still places I have not been on the lake, nooks and crannies and what-not, like Sallys gut (been tru there tho).
I would ask what are peoples favorite little spot, but why would you give that up!?

Special hello to all those nearest their special spot on the lake with mild jealousy as I kind of stuck myself in FL for the summer, starting a business. GREAT timing, im committed tho, which means I will only be up to my little spot for a brief period as to focus my efforts on my business. (travel plans still in limbo because of you know why)
Enjoy this image and the rest of your weekend
If you get out on the boat today please enjoy, take it all in, Rodney Dangerfield has his yacht waxed up and ready to head out on the lake with all the yahoos before you know it!
Thanks
Mike
Attached Images

Sandyisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandyisl For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-03-2020), coltgov101 (05-03-2020), Top-Water (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
ApS

Post Maybe These?

There are four "ugly" buildings in that picture. Starting with the building to the left:

One used to be a shoe store and a hardware store. Today, it's a pricey restaurant and swim/dive/float-rental outlet.

Changes:
Now I'm told:

Quote:
The building with the pricey restaurant (Garwoods) isn't shown, and you also can't see the Dive Shop) That building is north of the bridge. The visible building is where Tobey's Drug used to be, now Emma Taylor, a very pricey ladies store. Then there was a hardware (I think it was something Briggerman's), then a street, then what is now the Jo Green bldg., then the DownTown Grille and Café, then the Woof Boro pet store which was the Hallmark Store and was Gene's Hardware before that!!!
I recall a Bradley's and Wolfeboro Hardware also, before Bradley's moved across the street near the train station.

Next is one of the oldest and biggest buildings in town. It has a name, but I've forgotten it. Adams building? One store in that building replaced the Hallmark Cards shop and it's called the "Woof Boro" pet shop. Is there another store in town with a more clever name? The "Perky Peacock" left town years ago.

The brick building in the distance is presently the recently-restored Town Hall, but at one time, housed several small businesses on the ground floor. Way back when, it contained Wolfeboro's only movie theater. It was the only theater I've been to that had bat-silhouettes swooping across the screen.

Next-up is the Dockside restaurant. It's town-owned, seems to be well-kept, and has been there forever. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ApS; 05-05-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Corrections/Additions
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Sandyisl

Default folder of images

I didn't even think of it because, my question was rhetorical. That image is from another one of my flip booker folder style mailings. You can see the slit in the card to recieve the rest of the outside cover if you will.
Maybe more related images in that booklet. I will check when home.
But for now im stuck social distancing responsibly.
with my mom fishing! good effort Ma!
Attached Images

Sandyisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It is called the Avery Building now. It was the Peavey Block and the railroad tracks went just to the right of it (facing the lake) out to where Dockside is now. There was also a big building there that burned.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-03-2020), Top-Water (05-05-2020), upthesaukee (05-04-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The building that burned was a pretty big building. I believe it was owned by the railroad (B&M). I would love to spend one day in those days with all the big hotels and the railroad going through the middle of town. Can you imagine actual transportation was coming in on the train and getting on a boat?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (05-06-2020)
Sponsored Links